Notices

NHL Expansion --how it changes Bruins roster management

Old
07-19-2015, 09:38 AM
sarge88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I assuming that guys with NMCs would be mandatory to protect.
What happens if you have more players with NMC's, than spots to protect?

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 02:20 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

I just really hope there is no expansion draft. The league is highly entertaining right now. No reason to thin out the talent pool and mess with rosters. I know it's probably inevitable but I am hugely against expansion and think its a bad idea.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 07:35 PM
EverettMike

Protecting Chara a year from now would be grossly incompetent. Same for McQuaid.

You don't protect 40 year old players or number 6 defenseman.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 08:19 PM
TCL40

Yeah I don't get protecting McQuaid although I can see protecting Chara-just because he's your captain etc.

If we protectn2 goalies I protect Chara, Krug and whichever Dman really steps up next season.

Forwards I think would be easier.

My question is how many NHL games make players available? Makes me think a lot of teams will leave their borderline junior/NHL players in Juniors this season to avoid them being drafted by an expansion team.

I am also curious how an expansion draft will affect cap issues-may be more of an issue for cap floor teams since they may have a problem getting to the floor depending on how much money goes with a drafted player replaced by an entry level player.

League may have to give some leeway on cap compliance for that season.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 08:23 PM
JoeIsAStud

What were the rules last time in terms of how many players you could lose?

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 08:28 PM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Protecting Chara a year from now would be grossly incompetent. Same for McQuaid.

I agree totally if an expansion team is willing to take on big Z contract for the last two yrs let them have it.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 08:34 PM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I assuming that guys with NMCs would be mandatory to protect.

I would be surprised if so, as there seems to be so many of them out there now a days. I mean the Bruins or any team for that matter would of been giving them out like candy just for that purpose. Wait a minute PC was doing that. Now it all makes sense.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 08:38 PM
talkinaway

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
What were the rules last time in terms of how many players you could lose?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft

I think you could lose either one defenseman or one goalie, not both. Last time, only 26 out of 28 teams were eligible - two entire teams were protected because they were recent expansion teams themselves. The first 6 players picked were goalies, the next 16 were defensemen, and the next 24 were forwards, giving each team a starting roster of 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies, with two extra defensemen and 1 extra goalie.

The next six players (3 rounds) were potluck - any position could be picked. As it were, five forwards and one goalie was picked.

By the rules of the draft, every team had to lose exactly two players: one forward, and one other player (F, D, or G).

As for this year, we'd have 30 teams, so if it were to be "fair", there would have to be 60 players drafted if expansion were to 32 teams total. It would also mean each team's roster would start at 30 players instead of 26.

One question: How did CBJ and MIN get prospects? I mean, you've got a team of 26 players, so that's 6 spare parts - but an extra defenseman doesn't help you if a goalie's injuried. I mean, maybe only young players get drafted because expansion teams have no prospects (no pun intended) - a very, very good reason not to bother to protect Chara.

Last edited by talkinaway: 07-19-2015 at 08:46 PM.
talkinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 11:45 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
What happens if you have more players with NMC's, than spots to protect?
If 15/~22 players on your roster have NMCs... Then;

1. Peter Chiarelli is your GM
2. You're doing something horribly wrong
3. (For one team) both

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 11:53 PM
bruinsfan1972

An expansion draft would seriously devalue SJ's first rounder (and probably ours) if the first 2 selections in the 2016 draft are now not lottery eligible and given to the new teams.

bruinsfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2015, 11:57 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:

Depends on the rules and who is eligible to be claimed.

As of now there aren't a whole lot of defenseman that are currently on the Bruins roster that warrant being protected.

Who are you worried about Chara being protected over?

As of now Krug. And... who?

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2015, 06:51 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
Depends on the rules and who is eligible to be claimed.

As of now there aren't a whole lot of defenseman that are currently on the Bruins roster that warrant being protected.

Who are you worried about Chara being protected over?

As of now Krug. And... who?
Any prospect that would be eligible. You don't protect guys that might be a year from retirement. Hell, I doubt you select those guys anyway, even more reason not to protect them.

Old
07-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

One important rule I missed - if you go back to the last expansion draft and use those rules, and if you are looking at an expansion draft in the summer of 2016 - it's almost a no brainer. (I admit I was previously wrong on Subban/McIntyre because of this rule)

Here's my list and most likely what you'd see

Goaltenders (1) – Unprotected goaltender must have played 10 games the previous season or 25 games the previous 2 seasons

Protected – Rask
Unprotected: Smith
Does not need protecting: **Subban, **McIntyre, Morrison, Vladar

Defensemen (5) – at least 1 unprotected d-man must have played in 40 games the previous season or 70 the previous 2 seasons

Protected: Chara, Krug, Seidenberg, Trotman, K. Miller
Unprotected: McQuaid, Irwin, *Chudinov,
Does not need protecting: Morrow, C. Miller, Casto, Arnesson, Cross, Breen or any of the 2015 drafted kids

Forwards (9) At least two forwards left unprotected must have played 40 games the previous season or 70 the previous 2 seasons.

Protected: Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Spooner, Beleskey, Hayes, Connelly, Eriksson, ***Griffith
Unprotected: Kelly, Talbot, Rinaldo,
Does not need protecting: any of the Providence forwards, prospects still in college/junior or kids drafted in 2015 and **David Pastrnak

*Chudinov would require protection or could be claimed. (unsigned European draft players drafted 4 years prior to expansion draft)

** As a second year pro Pastrnak would not require protecting. 1st and 2nd year pros do not require protecting. Same for McIntyre/Subban

*** I included Griffith, in case of injuries, he gets into 40 games this season - 40/70 rule

Last edited by Dom - OHL: 07-20-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Dupell6

Is there any chance they will bring in two new teams before the start of the 2016-2017 season? I would think it would take longer than a year to make this happen...I think its more realistic to be in the summer of 2017 but I could be wrong

Dupell6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupell6 View Post
Is there any chance they will bring in two new teams before the start of the 2016-2017 season? I would think it would take longer than a year to make this happen...I think its more realistic to be in the summer of 2017 but I could be wrong
Ducks and Panthers were granted franchises in December 1992 and started playing in 1993.

Yes, there is a chance

Old
07-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Fire Sweeney

Is there the option to not protect anyone and get draft picks instead?

Fire Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2015, 11:26 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Any prospect that would be eligible. You don't protect guys that might be a year from retirement. Hell, I doubt you select those guys anyway, even more reason not to protect them.
With Dom's quote below, most of the young prospects aren't even eligble, so I'm still not sure who you would be refering to?

Of the 8 Expansion Eligible waiver players: Chara, Krug, Seidenberg, Trotman, K.Miller, McQuaid, Irwin, and *Chudinov (basically 7 NHL defenseman).

Unless you just want to unload Chara for the sake of unloading him... there are not 5 defenseman on that list worth protecting over him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
Defensemen (5) at least 1 unprotected d-man must have played in 40 games the previous season or 70 the previous 2 seasons

Protected: Chara, Krug, Seidenberg, Trotman, K. Miller
Unprotected: McQuaid, Irwin, *Chudinov,
Does not need protecting: Morrow, C. Miller, Casto, Arnesson, Cross, Breen or any of the 2015 drafted kids

Old
07-20-2015, 11:31 AM
EverettMike

Dom is going by the old rules. If those apply then it's a question of McQuaid vs Chara? Can you just not protect both in hopes a contract is taken of your hands?

I also think we have another defenseman on the roster that will qualify by then. Either a ufa signee or one acquired in trade.

Old
07-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:
Dom is going by the old rules. If those apply then it's a question of McQuaid vs Chara? Can you just not protect both in hopes a contract is taken of your hands?

I also think we have another defenseman on the roster that will qualify by then. Either a ufa signee or one acquired in trade.
There's no other rules to go by right now, and no other roster to go by right now either. But why leave Chara unprotected when you could get something for him via trade?

Old
07-20-2015, 11:43 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
There's no other rules to go by right now, and no other roster to go by right now either. But why leave Chara unprotected when you could get something for him via trade?
Great. Trade him for something then. I think they won't do it unless he asks.

Also, I was discussing not protecting Chara in a more holistic approach to an expansion draft. I didn't really want to get into specifics because a million things might change before it happens, let alone the parameters that will be in place. Not really interested in the minutiae yet. If this team has no better options than protecting forty year old players the problems are probably much much worse than I fear.

If everything you hypothesized his holds then it's comes down to Chara vs McQuaid. Ill I'l bummed out our d depth hasn't improved to be honest that the best options for protection are a number 6 or a guy that is forty.

Oh, wait, people would protect Seidenberg? I wouldn't in a million years protect him.

Now I am sad.

Woof this d.

Old
07-20-2015, 11:49 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Great. Trade him for something then. I think they won't do it unless he asks.

Also, I was discussing not protecting Chara in a more holistic approach to an expansion draft. I didn't really want to get into specifics because a million things might change before it happens, let alone the parameters that will be in place. Not really interested in the minutiae yet. If this team has no better options than protecting forty year old players the problems are probably much much worse than I fear.

If everything you hypothesized his holds then it's comes down to Chara vs McQuaid. Ill I'l bummed out our d depth hasn't improved to be honest that the best options for protection are a number 6 or a guy that is forty.

Oh, wait, people would protect Seidenberg? I wouldn't in a million years protect him.

Now I am sad.

Woof this d.
As I see the bigger picture of what you are saying, I agree. By the time of the expansion draft, if we don't have defenseman worth protecting over Irwin, Seidenberg, K.Miller, Trotman or even a 40 year old Chara... I think our defense is in big trouble.

Off-season isn't over, but as it stands, I don't know how the team can weaken it's defense 2 off-seasons in a row and expect better results.

Old
07-20-2015, 01:36 PM
BruinsFanMike82

I guess this fits in here.

BruinsFanMike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Colt.45Orr

I LOVE the Nordiques team ---mainly because of their mutual hatred for the Habs. They are the only fan base that comes close to our hatred of the smug, dirty, diving Habs.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Fire Sweeney

So it's expansion to Vegas, and the Coyotes moving to Seattle.

Fire Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sweeney View Post
So it's expansion to Vegas, and the Coyotes moving to Seattle.
Vegas makes no sense. It's a desert..............

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote