HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Expansion --how it changes Bruins roster management

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2015, 09:59 PM
  #76
Pia8988
Registered User
 
Pia8988's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 595
Rask clearly should have been able to stop all those goals after defensive lapses when the people in front of him would lose their assignment and give up tap ins from 2 feet away.

Pia8988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2015, 08:54 PM
  #77
What The Puck
Future GM
 
What The Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia8988 View Post
Rask clearly should have been able to stop all those goals after defensive lapses when the people in front of him would lose their assignment and give up tap ins from 2 feet away.
I actually watch the games. You can search my posts. How many softies do you think he gave up? In the game day threads this year, go ahead and do a search. Search for softies.

I think Holtby is better and is a better competitor, and at a better price. $7 million for repeated softies and subpar play, it's a joke. Rask is the third highest paid goaltender in the NHL and is not even a Vezina finalist. Nine goaltenders were picked above him as nominees. Elite, right?

What The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2015, 09:13 PM
  #78
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF
 
Jean_Jacket41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: With the smurfs
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
I actually watch the games. You can search my posts. How many softies do you think he gave up? In the game day threads this year, go ahead and do a search. Search for softies.

I think Holtby is better and is a better competitor, and at a better price. $7 million for repeated softies and subpar play, it's a joke. Rask is the third highest paid goaltender in the NHL and is not even a Vezina finalist. Nine goaltenders were picked above him as nominees. Elite, right?
You do know that he not only was a Vezina finalist but won the award. Right?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tuukk...d2KNY8vdzRM%3A

Not elite?

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2015, 09:39 PM
  #79
What The Puck
Future GM
 
What The Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
You do know that he not only was a Vezina finalist but won the award. Right?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tuukk...d2KNY8vdzRM%3A

Not elite?
That is the past.

What The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2015, 09:48 PM
  #80
BB88
Registered User
 
BB88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
That is the past.
1 season ago, there isn't a goalie that would be Vezina finalist every year and there isn't a goalie that won't give up softies.

You said Rask didn't get that many votes but why did Holtby get so much?
could it be that people around the league still overrated our D and D situation same way as Chia did? D was brutal and the injuries didn't help at all.

Holtby gets huge amount of love when the guy who posts same numbers behind a weaker team gets just .... and everyone calls he had a bad year
Rask as you say in his off year behind weaker D and team gives you same stats as Holtby in his career year so which one is better?
And Holtby needs to be re-signed again when he is 30y.

BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2015, 10:20 PM
  #81
Pia8988
Registered User
 
Pia8988's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
I actually watch the games. You can search my posts. How many softies do you think he gave up? In the game day threads this year, go ahead and do a search. Search for softies.

I think Holtby is better and is a better competitor, and at a better price. $7 million for repeated softies and subpar play, it's a joke. Rask is the third highest paid goaltender in the NHL and is not even a Vezina finalist. Nine goaltenders were picked above him as nominees. Elite, right?
Clearly you don't. Tuukka was the main reason this team wasn't a complete dumpster fire this past year.

His Stats after the all-star break

Post All-Star 31 29 57:01 14 10 6 66 2.24 903 837 .927 1

That would put him 6th among GAA if you count Hammond and 5th among Sv %. This team was absolutely horrible defensive defensive coverage early in the year between Dougie, Seids, Bart, and Trotman his first time up all taking turns ******** the bed. Every goalie lets in soft goals time from time, but Tuukka was the smallest issue this team had last year.

Pia8988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2015, 11:30 PM
  #82
WhalerTurnedBruin55
Registered User
 
WhalerTurnedBruin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia8988 View Post
Clearly you don't. Tuukka was the main reason this team wasn't a complete dumpster fire this past year.

His Stats after the all-star break

Post All-Star 31 29 57:01 14 10 6 66 2.24 903 837 .927 1

That would put him 6th among GAA if you count Hammond and 5th among Sv %. This team was absolutely horrible defensive defensive coverage early in the year between Dougie, Seids, Bart, and Trotman his first time up all taking turns ******** the bed. Every goalie lets in soft goals time from time, but Tuukka was the smallest issue this team had last year.
My only concern with that is Tuukka HAS let in some soft goals in his career during sometimes he needed to be clutch.

He's good, hell he's great, but until he proves he's over the hump, I'm skeptical.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2015, 11:33 PM
  #83
BB88
Registered User
 
BB88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
My only concern with that is Tuukka HAS let in some soft goals in his career during sometimes he needed to be clutch.

He's good, hell he's great, but until he proves he's over the hump, I'm skeptical.
With that we have only Quick and Crawford who are worth anything.
No one else has been able to be clutch when it matters the most?

BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2015, 11:57 PM
  #84
Pia8988
Registered User
 
Pia8988's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
Crawford
He may have 2 cups, but Darling had to bail them out against Nashville and his series against the Coyotes is nothing short of a trainwreck

Pia8988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2015, 12:13 AM
  #85
mikaH
Registered User
 
mikaH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
My only concern with that is Tuukka HAS let in some soft goals in his career during sometimes he needed to be clutch.

He's good, hell he's great, but until he proves he's over the hump, I'm skeptical.
I think that's the case with every goalie. Thomas was awful at game sevens, until one year he wasn't.

mikaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2015, 12:35 AM
  #86
WhalerTurnedBruin55
Registered User
 
WhalerTurnedBruin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
With that we have only Quick and Crawford who are worth anything.
No one else has been able to be clutch when it matters the most?
Game 7 Bruins/Flyers series of 2010 playoffs.

Last 2 minutes game 6 2013 Stanley Cup.

I remember a few goals in 2014 Montreal/Boston series that were a little weak that changed momentum of the games.

Not blaming Tuukka completely for all of those... and not saying he won't win it... but had he been just 'a little bit better'; things may have been different. I'm not saying he's bad, at all. But he has shown to have momentary lapses in the mental department during big games, several times in the past.

That said, he's saved our skin sometimes, too. But again, until he wins it, it'll still be a concern.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2015, 12:38 AM
  #87
WhalerTurnedBruin55
Registered User
 
WhalerTurnedBruin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaH View Post
I think that's the case with every goalie. Thomas was awful at game sevens, until one year he wasn't.
Exactly.

Call me a skeptic until proven.

Thomas proved everyone wrong. And we all thank him for that.

I hope we can all thank Rask for that someday, too.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2015, 07:22 PM
  #88
What The Puck
Future GM
 
What The Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
Rask as you say in his off year behind weaker D and team gives you same stats as Holtby in his career year so which one is better?
Holtby regularly wins against the Bruins. Just throwing that out there.

What The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2015, 07:35 PM
  #89
BB88
Registered User
 
BB88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
Holtby regularly wins against the Bruins. Just throwing that out there.
So because he can win against the Bruins he is the better goalie, you do know that Rask never has that chance?
Holtby couldn't close a series against the Rangers, Holtby hasn't carried the Caps to the finals, taking a bit too long.

BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 09:51 AM
  #90
What The Puck
Future GM
 
What The Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
So because he can win against the Bruins he is the better goalie, you do know that Rask never has that chance?
Holtby couldn't close a series against the Rangers, Holtby hasn't carried the Caps to the finals, taking a bit too long.
Never has the chance to match the opposing goalie? What? Listen, some goalies rise to the occasion, and others don't. Some goalies play better under pressure, and some don't. Some goalies choke in game six of the Stanley Cup finals in the last couple minutes of the game. I'll let you figure out who those people are.

I think you have an inflated opinion about this guy based on statistics that are clearly because of the team in front of him. He cannot raise the level of his team, even by three points at the end of the season for a playoff berth. He can take his (overpaid) $7 million contract to another franchise team. I don't want to see anything over $6 million in our net, and preferably, I would like to develop a younger goalie at the same time.

What The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 09:55 AM
  #91
BB88
Registered User
 
BB88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
Never has the chance to match the opposing goalie? What? Listen, some goalies rise to the occasion, and others don't. Some goalies play better under pressure, and some don't. Some goalies choke in game six of the Stanley Cup finals in the last couple minutes of the game. I'll let you figure out who those people are.

I think you have an inflated opinion about this guy based on statistics that are clearly because of the team in front of him. He cannot raise the level of his team, even by three points at the end of the season for a playoff berth. He can take his (overpaid) $7 million contract to another franchise team. I don't want to see anything over $6 million in our net, and preferably, I would like to develop a younger goalie at the same time.
I said he hasn't been able to play agains the Bruins

And you just told me why you shouldn't pick Holtby, where's his cup, where are his finals, how has he raised his game and carried them over the Rangers, to the finals?
And if you watched the Hawks series you'd know it didn't go exactly like that but when you lose the goalie gets the blame always right?

You don't want to win if you are ready to give up on elite players just to play average guys and save million or 2, that's not how you win. You develop that goalie and when he wants to get paid you send him out right away and start it over while not having won the Cup.
Chara is done, Rask would be gone then please explain to me how on earth are we going to win without elite players? Are you tanking for 1st overall and get that elite player that way or are you going to trade everything you have for that player or are you just going to ice average roster and expect Cup runs? Are you cheap with the cap?


Last edited by BB88: 07-26-2015 at 10:00 AM.
BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 10:06 AM
  #92
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
Never has the chance to match the opposing goalie? What? Listen, some goalies rise to the occasion, and others don't. Some goalies play better under pressure, and some don't. Some goalies choke in game six of the Stanley Cup finals in the last couple minutes of the game. I'll let you figure out who those people are.

I think you have an inflated opinion about this guy based on statistics that are clearly because of the team in front of him. He cannot raise the level of his team, even by three points at the end of the season for a playoff berth. He can take his (overpaid) $7 million contract to another franchise team. I don't want to see anything over $6 million in our net, and preferably, I would like to develop a younger goalie at the same time.
Wish we had a goalie who could help us get to game six of the Stanley Cup Finals, like Hero Holtby.

Or wait... maybe that doesn't matter, because it's in the past. Right?

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 10:11 AM
  #93
mislysBB
Registered User
 
mislysBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure there's no amount of convincing that will make WTP think that Rask is elite.

Hell, I think even if Rask won a cup that still wouldn't change his mind.

"Rask got a cup because the team in front of him was good"



Edit; oh yeah, besides Holtby and Prices' ONE breakout season each, what have either of them done?

mislysBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 10:14 AM
  #94
BB88
Registered User
 
BB88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Wish we had a goalie who could help us get to game six of the Stanley Cup Finals, like Hero Holtby.

Or wait... maybe that doesn't matter, because it's in the past. Right?
I'd like to know the plan how we are going to get into the finals

If I got this right, average goalie+ no elite talent in the roster= stanley cup.

Chara is past his prime and now we can afford to lose Rask too?


Last edited by BB88: 07-26-2015 at 10:20 AM.
BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 01:35 PM
  #95
What The Puck
Future GM
 
What The Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mislysBB View Post
I'm pretty sure there's no amount of convincing that will make WTP think that Rask is elite.
I am one of the smarter posters, so part of what you have to understand is, the salary-cap is around $70 million.

You can have 23 people on the roster (also known as committed salary). Usually 18 skaters and 2 goaltenders have to show up for the game.

That's an average of 3 million per player to go around. Rask, is taking up the salary of just over two people and 10% of the payroll. Is he worth it?

Rask is number 26 overall (including some with a lesser number of games) for GAA:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?sort...20152ALLGAGALL

Svedberg, much-maligned as he is, has a GAA of 2.33 compared to Rask's 2.30. Svedberg was ran out of town and has been declared not a good backup goaltender, but his performance is nearly identical to Rask's (including save percentage), who some are declaring as elite.

Facts are facts. [MOD] The goal is to win championships and build a championship team. Given the facts in this post, salary and performance, comparison to his backup, his resume, is he elite? The answer is no. And so, if he goes to an expansion team, so be it.


Last edited by DaveG: 07-26-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: not needed
What The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 01:53 PM
  #96
Rubber Biscuit
Registered User
 
Rubber Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 7,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mislysBB View Post
I'm pretty sure there's no amount of convincing that will make WTP think that Rask is elite.

Hell, I think even if Rask won a cup that still wouldn't change his mind.

"Rask got a cup because the team in front of him was good"



Edit; oh yeah, besides Holtby and Prices' ONE breakout season each, what have either of them done?
He reads the box scores and then shows up here to troll. Kind of surprised he's even still posting here. He'll never change his mind on the players he's chosen to argue against

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 01:55 PM
  #97
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me
 
Dom - OHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
I am one of the smarter posters, so part of what you have to understand is, the salary-cap is around $70 million.

You can have 23 people on the roster (also known as committed salary). Usually 18 skaters and 2 goaltenders have to show up for the game.

That's an average of 3 million per player to go around. Rask, is taking up the salary of just over two people and 10% of the payroll. Is he worth it?

Rask is number 26 overall (including some with a lesser number of games) for GAA:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?sort...20152ALLGAGALL

Svedberg, much-maligned as he is, has a GAA of 2.33 compared to Rask's 2.30. Svedberg was ran out of town and has been declared not a good backup goaltender, but his performance is nearly identical to Rask's (including save percentage), who some are declaring as elite.

Facts are facts. The difference between me, a smart and intelligent poster, and some around here are that I do not have any sacred cows. These are NHL players, not pets. The goal is to win championships and build a championship team. Given the facts in this post, salary and performance, comparison to his backup, his resume, is he elite? The answer is no. And so, if he goes to an expansion team, so be it.
You want to be taken seriously, start with facts.

The cap is exactly $71.4 million not around $70 million. Your first line doesn't begin with facts

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 02:05 PM
  #98
DoubleAAAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
I am one of the smarter posters, so part of what you have to understand is, the salary-cap is around $70 million.

You can have 23 people on the roster (also known as committed salary). Usually 18 skaters and 2 goaltenders have to show up for the game.

That's an average of 3 million per player to go around. Rask, is taking up the salary of just over two people and 10% of the payroll. Is he worth it?

Rask is number 26 overall (including some with a lesser number of games) for GAA:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?sort...20152ALLGAGALL

Svedberg, much-maligned as he is, has a GAA of 2.33 compared to Rask's 2.30. Svedberg was ran out of town and has been declared not a good backup goaltender, but his performance is nearly identical to Rask's (including save percentage), who some are declaring as elite.

Facts are facts. [MOD] The goal is to win championships and build a championship team. Given the facts in this post, salary and performance, comparison to his backup, his resume, is he elite? The answer is no. And so, if he goes to an expansion team, so be it.
26th in a list that includes at least 10 goaltenders with under 15 games played ahead of him. You're using GAA which is a flawed stat to begin with, a single season rather than an entire body of work. Not for nothing, but the analysis you've provided does not lend itself to your description of a smart/intelligent post.

Edit: If you'd actually rather put a little effort into your argument you could use the following http://war-on-ice.com/goalietable.html

I don't think the filters will save but if you take all goaltenders from Sept 1/12 to current, minimum 2400 minutes TOI, Rask has the highest 5v5 save %, 2nd all situation Sv% (behind Cam Talbot whose played 140 fewer games over the same period)

I suppose facts are, indeed, facts.


Last edited by DaveG: 07-26-2015 at 04:15 PM.
DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 02:06 PM
  #99
BB88
Registered User
 
BB88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
I am one of the smarter posters, so part of what you have to understand is, the salary-cap is around $70 million.

You can have 23 people on the roster (also known as committed salary). Usually 18 skaters and 2 goaltenders have to show up for the game.

That's an average of 3 million per player to go around. Rask, is taking up the salary of just over two people and 10% of the payroll. Is he worth it?

Rask is number 26 overall (including some with a lesser number of games) for GAA:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?sort...20152ALLGAGALL

Svedberg, much-maligned as he is, has a GAA of 2.33 compared to Rask's 2.30. Svedberg was ran out of town and has been declared not a good backup goaltender, but his performance is nearly identical to Rask's (including save percentage), who some are declaring as elite.

Facts are facts. [MOD] The goal is to win championships and build a championship team. Given the facts in this post, salary and performance, comparison to his backup, his resume, is he elite? The answer is no. And so, if he goes to an expansion team, so be it.
If your roster is full of average players then how are we going to get into the finals as it is your goal? Average goalie, no elite D players, no elite offensive players=stanley cup? More like top5pick.

Your Svedberg story is entertaining. Hard to believe you watch the games.


Last edited by DaveG: 07-26-2015 at 04:16 PM.
BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2015, 03:02 PM
  #100
What The Puck
Future GM
 
What The Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
You want to be taken seriously, start with facts.

The cap is exactly $71.4 million not around $70 million. Your first line doesn't begin with facts
71.4 million is around 70 million. Language barrier maybe.

I understand that Rask is a sacred cow around here, and that these kinds of facts are disturbing for a lot of fans. Putting his statistics next to Svedberg was probably very alarming. Manipulating time on ice to exclude the comparison to Svedberg is clever, but it doesn't hold water because it was both of their performances that added up to this season, and they both performed comparatively. One of whom is called elite and the other who was ran out of town. Facts are facts.


Last edited by What The Puck: 07-26-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Language barrier problem
What The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.