HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official POST-GDT: 11/20 - BOS @ NYR

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2005, 10:11 PM
GothamRanger

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Official POST-GDT: 11/20 - BOS @ NYR

Good win by the Rangers tonight. Bruins look to be a good team, I don't know why they aren't more successful -- I guess they need to get more up front, especially from Samsonov and Zhamnov, who were pretty much non-exsistent.

Prucha -- I'm really starting to warm up to him ... he scored a great goal that showed more legitimacy than his other recent goals. I think it would be interesting if he could learn some defensive skills and be a Jason Blake type on the PK-- we need some SHG as we have given up so many.

Lundqvist -- played a solid game and apparently rebounded well from the Carolina game I didn't see.
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/app...0211210214.jpg save of the night!

It's amazing how there refs have stopped calling penalties already. Such an inconsistent show, especially the 2nd and 1st periods. THe game was slow and mucky, and what do you know in the 3rd when the penalties were starting to get called the game opened up.

Playoffs -- I still don't understand why people don't think this team is a playoff team. Starting off hot like the Rangers have is far more difficult than having an equivalent hot streak in the middle of the season. Sure they will hit some slumps on the season but the trend will be that this team gets better and will hopefully stay ahead of the curve. If this team was 7-13 no one would be thinking they could be a playoff team, so why is everyone thinking they will not be a playoff team when there record is 13-7-2? They are beating the teams they should be beating and are competitive against the teams that are "better" than them. Players have been really streaky like Weekes, Moore and Jagr, but this team overall puts the same product on ice night in and night out regardless of if someone gets cold.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:16 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose

It's amazing how there refs have stopped calling penalties already. Such an inconsistent show, especially the 2nd and 1st periods. THe game was slow and mucky, and what do you know in the 3rd when the penalties were starting to get called the game opened up.
I can't watch the games but from the radio feed and from what I read the play in the first was pretty crisp, up and down. And thats with the ice being pretty bad because the knicks played an afternoon game at the garden.

Old
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
I can't watch the games but from the radio feed and from what I read the play in the first was pretty crisp, up and down. And thats with the ice being pretty bad because the knicks played an afternoon game at the garden.
Looked like it was getting pretty bad in the 3rd. Lots of passes that just sort of died before getting where they were supposed to go.

Old
11-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Skroob*

C & P from the GDT:

just got back from the game. Heres some notes:

Rangers dominated the first 7 or 8 minutes of that game. Rangers had complete control of the puck for a good 4 minutes it seemed without leaving the Bs zone, and all thanks to PRUCHA. Betts dumped it into the corner to go for a change, and Purcha stays on to chase it down. He was able to out work the boston defender for the puck and buy some time till the fresh linemates to join the play. All rangers for about 3-4 mintues after that.

HOWEVER, they really didnt get many scoring chances from that. SHOOT!!!

Give Orts the 'C'

Aside form Jagr (who you notice just because hes Jagr), Orts is just so visible out there. It seems like everytime you turn your eyes, theres #41 chasing down a puck or blocking another shot (he must of had 15 of those 17).

#44 in the 3rd just started throwing himself into people too. Great to watch.

Who does that Bruin think he is wearing #68?

Refs let too much go, but then again, there was nothing glaring that was missed or mis-called. Perhaps the players are learning???

Old
11-21-2005, 12:21 AM
TheZherdev

I was at the game, and I think the reason that there weren't any penalties called, was becuase there were none to call. both teams played very disciplined.

by the way for the first time in my life I sat in box seats (besides sneaking down), and I must say no one there has any team spirit, there would be "Lets Go Ranger" chants and everyone in the section would just sit there and people just looked at me when I went along with the chant.

The true fans buy the cheap tickets.

Old
11-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
I was at the game, and I think the reason that there weren't any penalties called, was becuase there were none to call. both teams played very disciplined.

by the way for the first time in my life I sat in box seats (besides sneaking down), and I must say no one there has any team spirit, there would be "Lets Go Ranger" chants and everyone in the section would just sit there and people just looked at me when I went along with the chant.

The true fans buy the cheap tickets.
It was a very quiet game upstairs too.

Old
11-21-2005, 01:48 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

pretty quiet in the 300's as well. I did enjoy the boston sucks chants during sweet caroline however.

Old
11-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Fletch

dakose...

I think you have it backwards...I would think that it's easier to pull together something earlier in the season, especially now with so much turnover in teams, than later in the season. Later in the season the games get tighter. Often teams discount the beginning of the season since any losses can be made up later in the season. Later in the season, the pressure mounts for bubble teams and it gets more competitive.

As for the playoffs...the Rangers will fight for a spot. Thought that from the beginning of the season, but admittedly thought they'd be more in the pack than leading it. I still think the tougher games are to come, but it just seems as though there's some bad hockey being played out there - especially in the soft goals department - so the Rangers may be way ahead of the curve - I also over-estimated other teams' abilities.

Old
11-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I only got to see the first period, but I caught the highlights. One question: did Nieminen say anything funny?

Old
11-21-2005, 11:02 AM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I only got to see the first period, but I caught the highlights. One question: did Nieminen say anything funny?
Yeah ... they mic'd him and he was yapping to everyone. He asked Zhamnov how his used card business was going ??? Then after a shift he said to his trainer "oh man, I need an oil change and tire rotation" or something to that effect. His goal celebration was pretty funny also.

Old
11-21-2005, 11:06 AM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I think you have it backwards...I would think that it's easier to pull together something earlier in the season, especially now with so much turnover in teams, than later in the season. Later in the season the games get tighter. Often teams discount the beginning of the season since any losses can be made up later in the season. Later in the season, the pressure mounts for bubble teams and it gets more competitive.

As for the playoffs...the Rangers will fight for a spot. Thought that from the beginning of the season, but admittedly thought they'd be more in the pack than leading it. I still think the tougher games are to come, but it just seems as though there's some bad hockey being played out there - especially in the soft goals department - so the Rangers may be way ahead of the curve - I also over-estimated other teams' abilities.
For the season, the strategy is like an individual game -- I think its easier to establish a lead and hold it than to keep on playing catchup. The Rangers never hit the season running and never made the playoffs playing catchup. I feel we have a distinct advantage this season.

Old
11-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Fletch

I don't disagree with that, dakose...

and is basically what I'm saying - games get tougher as the season gets later. And I agree that it's tougher to play catch-up as a result - although it ain't that easy holding the lead either. Wasn't Vancouver in first a few seasons ago (with Messier there I believe) in December and miss the playoffs? I think that's because the games are more competitive and teams become more desperate.

Old
11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
GothamRanger

At the end of the season you also have the teams that tank / are rebuilding and thus are not competitive by any measure to play against.

Old
11-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Fletch

Here's what Jagr has to say about all this:

from today's Post 'Maybe the games at this time of the season don't look so important, but they are. Trust me, it is a lot harder to win late in the season than it is now. At the end of the year, so many teams are fighting for the playoffs, the games are tougher'.

Take it for what it's worth - I happen to agree with Jagr, but your point about tanking teams is well-taken, although I think that's somewhat relative to teams coming out of the gate slowly, which we often see. And I think Jagr's pointing to those many conference games against guys who are fighting for the same few spots, which is what I'm pointing to somewhat also.

Old
11-21-2005, 02:18 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
At the end of the season you also have the teams that tank / are rebuilding and thus are not competitive by any measure to play against.

Of course, rebuidling teams always suck and dont make the playoffs. O wait...

Closed Thread