HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Future

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2003, 06:58 AM
  #1
Oilhitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Oilers Future

After watching last nights game against Vancouver I think it is quite apparent that the Oilers need to move/or sign Comrie sooner than later. I can't remember the last time I seen the Oilers play so badly. Not only did they play bad the Nuck's dominated the game right from the start. Lowe is bragging that we are bigger and faster. I sure as **** didn't see is last night. So come on Lowe go make us proud!!! As much as I like their forward line-up we can spare some forward talent to get a decent d-man but more importantly a big centre. Smyth does not belong in the middle / nor does York. YA YA I know it will screw all the lines up but after the performance last night maybe thats what they need. Even their first game I didnt think they looked that good until the end of the game. I know it's the beginning of the season but this is the time where they can be putting up some numbres. They have such a strong division and with playing both the Nuck's and the Avs 6 times each this year we need a good start.

So how's this for a trade proposal:

To Tampa Bay:
Mike Comrie
Jani Rita
Jsson Smith

To Edmonton:
Alexander Svitov
Pavel Kubina
Alexander Polushin

Oilhitch is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 07:02 AM
  #2
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
After watching last nights game against Vancouver I think it is quite apparent that the Oilers need to move/or sign Comrie sooner than later. I can't remember the last time I seen the Oilers play so badly. Not only did they play bad the Nuck's dominated the game right from the start. Lowe is bragging that we are bigger and faster. I sure as **** didn't see is last night. So come on Lowe go make us proud!!! As much as I like their forward line-up we can spare some forward talent to get a decent d-man but more importantly a big centre. Smyth does not belong in the middle / nor does York. YA YA I know it will screw all the lines up but after the performance last night maybe thats what they need. Even their first game I didnt think they looked that good until the end of the game. I know it's the beginning of the season but this is the time where they can be putting up some numbres. They have such a strong division and with playing both the Nuck's and the Avs 6 times each this year we need a good start.

So how's this for a trade proposal:

To Tampa Bay:
Mike Comrie
Jani Rita
Jsson Smith

To Edmonton:
Alexander Svitov
Pavel Kubina
Alexander Polushin
Isn't part of the Oilers problem lack of vetrans. Here you're trading Jason Smith, one of the team's vetrans. I'm really getting fed up with all this crap. Comrie is worth more than that. The underrating of the Oilers players continues. Every player on the Oilers is crap and the other teams players are better. Sheesh.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 07:22 AM
  #3
Oilhitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Yes I agree the Oilers do need veterans however Smith is going to be an UFA at the end of the year. If the Oilers want a big return for Comrie IMO they should package them together.

Oilhitch is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 07:43 AM
  #4
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Yes I agree the Oilers do need veterans however Smith is going to be an UFA at the end of the year. If the Oilers want a big return for Comrie IMO they should package them together.
i dont think that smith is UFA after this season... though i might be wrong about this.... the only Dman i thought was UFA after this year was staios

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 07:47 AM
  #5
Oilhitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
When a player turns 31 they become a UFA.

Oilhitch is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 07:51 AM
  #6
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
When a player turns 31 they become a UFA.
He'll only be 30 at the end of the season.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:02 AM
  #7
Oilhitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
He'll only be 30 at the end of the season.
i'm almost cerftain he will be UFA at the end of this year. But maybe im wrong????

Oilhitch is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:07 AM
  #8
Oilhitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Well I feel stupid! I just checked it out he is a Restricted Free Agent 7/1/04. I have been thinking he will be UFA at the end of the year. Well that changes everything.

Oilhitch is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:23 AM
  #9
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Isn't part of the Oilers problem lack of vetrans. Here you're trading Jason Smith, one of the team's vetrans.
Nope. That's not really the problem here in Edmonton. It isn't the lack of veterans... Heck, we had veterans before with Weight, Guerin, etc. and we still had up and down stretches during the year. What this team needs is a mental overhaul when playing teams like Vancouver, Dallas, etc where they don't fold at the immediate sign of trouble.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:27 AM
  #10
Jim_Harnock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Wales
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
What this team needs is a mental overhaul when playing teams like Vancouver, Dallas, etc where they don't fold at the immediate sign of trouble.
So how do we go about that? Do you think the problem is the coach, the designated team leaders...?

Jim_Harnock is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 08:33 AM
  #11
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
So how do we go about that? Do you think the problem is the coach, the designated team leaders...?
Perhaps a combination? I'm not really sure. But I believe that MacT has to form some kind of rigid system that they can hold onto when things go bad. If nothing works like it's supposed to.. at least they'll have a nice defensive system to fall back that doesn't require them to think too often of failures in game.

It's a belief and confidence in a system that will get them over the hump no matter the opposition. They're a young team and when they can't believe in themselves, at the very least they can believe the coach and what he has devised. I know that defensive style isn't going to be popular... but I can't see any other way to avoid these kinds of games.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 11:09 AM
  #12
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
What this team needs is a mental overhaul when playing teams like Vancouver, Dallas, etc where they don't fold at the immediate sign of trouble.
From your lips to MacT's ears.

"What we have to understand is that referees make mistakes at times and you can't let that lose your focus as a hockey club," said Oilers coach Craig MacTavish. "Our inexperience showed and that's something we're going to rectify in a hurry."

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...B-351AEDB12A1E

They are a young team, with a lot of new faces. Altho I don't accept their loss of composer, I understand it. This was a "school of hard knocks" kinda game. Lot's to learn from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
It's a belief and confidence in a system that will get them over the hump no matter the opposition. They're a young team and when they can't believe in themselves, at the very least they can believe the coach and what he has devised. I know that defensive style isn't going to be popular... but I can't see any other way to avoid these kinds of games.
Bingo. MacT has them working just such a system. The more they work it, the easier it is to rely on it. And altho it is basically a defensive system, it does allow for our talented players to be creative.

You can't fluke the positioning and puck support I saw in game #1. The bad luck in game #2 was "flukie" and the boys lost some focus against a top team. On the plus side, they shut down the Canucks top lines and very prolific PP. And if it wasn't for "luck" the game was a lot closer than the score.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 12:49 PM
  #13
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
From your lips to MacT's ears.

"What we have to understand is that referees make mistakes at times and you can't let that lose your focus as a hockey club," said Oilers coach Craig MacTavish. "Our inexperience showed and that's something we're going to rectify in a hurry."
Good talk but I won't really be convinced until this all comes into fruition. Until then call me Mr. Skeptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Bingo. MacT has them working just such a system. The more they work it, the easier it is to rely on it. And altho it is basically a defensive system, it does allow for our talented players to be creative.

You can't fluke the positioning and puck support I saw in game #1. The bad luck in game #2 was "flukie" and the boys lost some focus against a top team. On the plus side, they shut down the Canucks top lines and very prolific PP. And if it wasn't for "luck" the game was a lot closer than the score.
Well, I thought the score really favored us as a team because I thought we were thoroughly outplayed in most areas of the ice. We could have lost by much more.

I'm not sure if the defensive strategy I've seen so far is indicative of what I'd like the team to achieve. It can be much tighter... As I've always said... the offense can and will dry up in a game. Defensive positioning is not as random as offense... It's all about correct positioning and it's something a player/team can control themselves.

Maybe it's just me but I'd like a much tighter defense even if it detracts from a run-and-gun type of atmosphere.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 01:17 PM
  #14
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Good talk but I won't really be convinced until this all comes into fruition. Until then call me Mr. Skeptical.
No problem.
Quote:
Well, I thought the score really favored us as a team because I thought we were thoroughly outplayed in most areas of the ice. We could have lost by much more.
We were outplayed, in all areas of the ice.
Quote:
I'm not sure if the defensive strategy I've seen so far is indicative of what I'd like the team to achieve. It can be much tighter... As I've always said... the offense can and will dry up in a game. Defensive positioning is not as random as offense... It's all about correct positioning and it's something a player/team can control themselves.

Maybe it's just me but I'd like a much tighter defense even if it detracts from a run-and-gun type of atmosphere.
"So far" is 2 games. They need to keep working it, till it's second nature. Then they can trust it, when all else fails.

Just call me an optimistic skeptic. I see promising signs, but all my questions/concerns have not been answered yet.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 01:22 PM
  #15
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Just call me an optimistic skeptic. I see promising signs, but all my questions/concerns have not been answered yet.
I suppose I'm the "wait and see" skeptic.

And that would make LT the "When is Horcoff going to become the next superstar" skeptic...

and Speeds the "Where's the rebuild" skeptic. :p

momentai is offline  
Old
10-12-2003, 06:38 PM
  #16
Fists of Fuhry
Registered User
 
Fists of Fuhry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Isn't part of the Oilers problem lack of vetrans. Here you're trading Jason Smith, one of the team's vetrans. I'm really getting fed up with all this crap. Comrie is worth more than that. The underrating of the Oilers players continues. Every player on the Oilers is crap and the other teams players are better. Sheesh.

You know, this was one of the reasons why I was rootin' for Mess to come back this year.... the only thing the guy wants to do is win - whether it be for selfish reasons or for the team. Regardless, I think his determination would only instill character in a very mold-able team for years to come.

Fists of Fuhry is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.