HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Avs-Caps-Yotes Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
Avs-Caps-Yotes Proposal

To WSH:
Bates Battaglia
Martin Skoula
Brian Boucher

To COL:
Olaf Kolzig
WSH 3rd Rounder
$2,000,000

To PHO:
WSH 5th round draft pick

Colorado gets their starting goalie, only giving up a 3rd line forward and what would end up as a 5th d-man, while also getting a third rounder and some cash to help pay Kolzig. Washington gets a d-man who is much needed, while also getting a forward who should be on a 2nd instead of a third line, and a goalie to replace Kolzig while Oullett develops. Considering the Shields trade, this is the maximum amount, nearly overpaying, they'd get for Boucher.

Flame away.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Battaglia and Skoula for Kolzig, a 3rd rounder, AND salary paid?

The Avs do pretty well.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Battaglia and Skoula for Kolzig, a 3rd rounder, AND salary paid?

The Avs do pretty well.
Washington's a bit desparate. Gonchar and Witt can't do all the playing on the blueline. They also could use the breathing room with Kolzig's large salary gone.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:55 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether

To PHO:
WSH 5th round draft pick
What?
Do you have any clue how suicidal PR wise that is?

Handzus + for a 5th round pick? oh, thats just great.

Boucher hasnt fallen out of favor, hes simply the sacraficial lamb. Management likes Bierk, hes been somewhat solid. They wanted to keep all 3, so they sent Boosh, who has an insane contract for a backup, through waivers.

Its a possible trade, but one I dont think Phoenix bites on, since they havent given up yet on Boucher.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:00 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Washington's a bit desparate. Gonchar and Witt can't do all the playing on the blueline. They also could use the breathing room with Kolzig's large salary gone.
Speak for your own team man. We are quite certain that Kolzig has a no trade clause.I'm sure McPhee would want to unload Clubber Lang and Jagpipes WAYYYYYYY BEFORE he unloads Kolzig.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Do you think Kolzig might waive that clause to join a team like the Avs though?

There's no denying Boucher's value is low but I'd be very disappointed if we gave up on him for a 5th. I think he's far more likely to become a stud goalie than Bierk but everything is about $$$ these days not hockey decisions.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

The Avs are already among the softest teams up front, dealing Bataglia who's their closest forward being physical doesn't exactly help that department. Kolzig, despite that I feel he's overrated could demand quite a lot, Skoula + Tanguay I'd say..

Old
10-12-2003, 03:38 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Kolzig doesn't have a no-trade clause, but I don't see the Caps trading him.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:21 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Kolzig doesn't have a no-trade clause, but I don't see the Caps trading him.

Are you >>100%<< sure about that? Olie's name is NEVER meantioned in trade rumors even though he's one of the big 3 in terms of salary and we have an heir for him....

Old
10-12-2003, 06:29 AM
wazee

Quote:
To WSH:
Bates Battaglia
Martin Skoula
Brian Boucher

To COL:
Olaf Kolzig
WSH 3rd Rounder
$2,000,000

To PHO:
WSH 5th round draft pick

Colorado gets their starting goalie, only giving up a 3rd line forward and what would end up as a 5th d-man, while also getting a third rounder and some cash to help pay Kolzig. Washington gets a d-man who is much needed, while also getting a forward who should be on a 2nd instead of a third line, and a goalie to replace Kolzig while Oullett develops. Considering the Shields trade, this is the maximum amount, nearly overpaying, they'd get for Boucher.

Flame away.
No flames from me. This trade at least attempts to meet some of the needs of the teams involved. The Avs would probably take that deal. They do not need the money and the 3rd rounder does nothing to help them win this year, but perhaps it could be used to pick up a defenseman or a good 3rd liner at the deadline.

For the Yotes, I cannot see they paying both Burke and Boucher for the whole season. It would be ideal for the Yotes if Boucher would outplay Burke early in this season. That would allow them trade Burke. As shown in the waiver draft, Boucher has no trade value at this time.

For the Caps, it gives them another defenseman which they need. And perhaps 5-Goal-Bates would return to form in the East. He certainly did not distinguish himself in Colorado last season. Perhaps he will do better playing on the second line this year, but I have not seen anything outstanding from him yet. Oh…one more thing…Unlike the Wings with Cujo, I do not see the Caps paying any part of Kolzig’s salary. Kolzig is not overpaid…

Old
10-12-2003, 06:37 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
"Are you >>100%<< sure about that?"

Pretty sure. I've never seen any refernce in print to Olie having a no-trade clause.

I've seen a lot of rumors involving Kolzig, but none out of Washington.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:40 AM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
To WSH:
Bates Battaglia
Martin Skoula
Brian Boucher

To COL:
Olaf Kolzig
WSH 3rd Rounder
$2,000,000

To PHO:
WSH 5th round draft pick

Flame away.

I'm not sure why Phoenix would even be involved. You could probably toss in Aebischer's name in place of Boucher and put together a deal. Yes, Phoenix could have dropped Boucher for nothing so you can argue this both ways as why should anyone give up something for something they could have had for nothing. However, I'm not sure Phoenix should go out of there way to make Colorado stronger. They would likely be better served to stick to their original plan which is to wait to see if Colorado ups the anty for Burke, or see if teams built to win this year struggle in goal (ie Hackett's history of injuries in Philli, Osgood's tendancy to let in soft goals in St. Louis, Cloutier in Vancouver - don't laugh the escalation of the Canadian dollar is saving Canadian teams millions and millions of dollars in payroll expense - A 10% increase in the past six months has already saved the Canucks the equivalent of Burke's salary), Lalime in Ottawa) or teams with GM/coaches who may be desperate to turnaround their season (yes, Glen Sather I am thinking of you).

To put things in perspective. Phoenix is long a goalie but the market is probably at or near its historical lowest value. You can always ride a long position and wait for things to improve. It's when you find yourself in a short position that you have to worry about time frames.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:50 AM
txpd

That's a pretty good deal, if you can get it. A 4th line forward and a 3rd pair defenseman for a Vezina Trophy goalie in his prime. Battaglia played 11:28 and Skoula played 4:09.
Where is the value for the Capitals in making THAT deal? Skoula is a marginal defenseman. Not enough better to make a difference.
Battaglia is a red herring. The Capitals are full at forward. very full at 3rd and 4th line forwards. They dont have a roster spot for him.

Kolzig wants to finish in Washington. Whether he has a no-trade or not is an interesting question, but I don't think that Kolzig wants to leave. His autistic son gets great care in the Washington area and stability and routine is a major foundation of treating an autistic child. I would think it very unlikely that Kolzig would be happy with a trade.

$6m is not that expensive for a goalie of his stature. You can't win a cup without a goalie of his stature. Unless Colorado is willing to trade something other than spare parts, they are not going to get Kolzig

Old
10-12-2003, 11:48 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Kolzig, despite that I feel he's overrated
almost as overrated as Turco...IMO

Old
10-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
almost as overrated as Turco...IMO
Sure.. if that's your mature response to my quote..

Old
10-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
That's a pretty good deal, if you can get it. A 4th line forward and a 3rd pair defenseman for a Vezina Trophy goalie in his prime. Battaglia played 11:28 and Skoula played 4:09.
Where is the value for the Capitals in making THAT deal? Skoula is a marginal defenseman. Not enough better to make a difference.
Battaglia is a red herring. The Capitals are full at forward. very full at 3rd and 4th line forwards. They dont have a roster spot for him.

Kolzig wants to finish in Washington. Whether he has a no-trade or not is an interesting question, but I don't think that Kolzig wants to leave. His autistic son gets great care in the Washington area and stability and routine is a major foundation of treating an autistic child. I would think it very unlikely that Kolzig would be happy with a trade.

$6m is not that expensive for a goalie of his stature. You can't win a cup without a goalie of his stature. Unless Colorado is willing to trade something other than spare parts, they are not going to get Kolzig
Not that I disagree with your post, but to be fair Skoula only played 4:09 because he was injured in the first period of the game and didn't return.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Battaglia played 11:28 and Skoula played 4:09.
By your logic, Aebischer will get 82 shutouts and the Avalanche may as well be better off without Kolzig.

Don't judge such things on one game. Skoula was injured in the first period with a bruised foot. He didn't return to the game.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Sure.. if that's your mature response to my quote..
So....if I disagree with you about Kolzig.....and also think Turco is overrated, I'm not mature.

In other words....agree with you or you arent mature?

Old
10-12-2003, 01:31 PM
kacz

The Ave's lose
-Battaglia
-Skoula

The Ave's get
-Kolzig
-3rd rounder
-2mil

3rd>>Battaglia
Kolzig, 2mil>>Skoula

I'd say that's one great deal for Colorado, but I doubt McPhee is that stupid...

Old
10-12-2003, 01:36 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
a 3rd rounder is not > in value then battaglia to the avs right now...

easy concept to memorize.. bates > 3rd rounder to colorado

Old
10-12-2003, 01:42 PM
kacz

There's no way Battaglia is worth a 2nd rounder, *maybe* he's worth a late 3rd or early 4th at best...

Old
10-12-2003, 01:44 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
TO COLORADO HE'S WORTH MORE THEN THAT

nothing to do with trade value on the market

Old
10-13-2003, 05:28 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
By your logic, Aebischer will get 82 shutouts and the Avalanche may as well be better off without Kolzig.

Don't judge such things on one game. Skoula was injured in the first period with a bruised foot. He didn't return to the game.
I should have quoted last season's minutes where skoula is still the 6th ranked colorado defenseman.

Old
10-13-2003, 05:47 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
I should have quoted last season's minutes where skoula is still the 6th ranked colorado defenseman.
Skoula averaged nearly 19 minutes a game last season, and for nearly 70 plus games he was an integral part of what was essentially a five man defensive rotation for the Avs.

Check the stats

Closed Thread