HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Luongo available? Is Belfour Expendable? Semenov Trade the beginning

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Big Mama*

vCash: 500
Is Luongo available? Is Belfour Expendable? Semenov Trade the beginning

Some quotes from Gille Lupien Luongo's agent,

If Luongo's attitude has changed, maybe it's because the relationship between team and player also has changed since the two sides went through arbitration over the summer.

"He was disappointed," Lupien said. "Really disappointed.

"We had a difference of $500,000 (per season), and they decided to go in another direction," Lupien added. "He was like, 'Why did they do that?' When we first started negotiations, I told (General Manager Mike) Keenan we didn't want to go to arbitration. I don't know what they were trying to prove."

"If he could score, I would blame him," Lupien said. "If that was (correct), they're almost telling him, 'If you want to make better money, change teams.' They're indirectly telling him to move."

"He could still sign with Florida," Lupien said. "He's got a wife there, he's got a house there, for him he's from there now. But he's a winner. Two years ago he phoned me 10 times after Christmas, saying, 'Gilles, I can't take this anymore.' "

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...gane_1120.html

Keenan loves big defenceman and big centres. If the leafs are going to make a trade why not going for the big enchilada and take a chance on Luongo. Goaltending won't be a problem for years. McCabe & Belfour?

Semenov, a 24-year-old defensive defenseman, in is his third NHL season, with four goals, 10 assists and 107 penalty minutes in 103 games.

Keenan on Semenov,

"He's a big player who has good skating skill (who) will think will add depth," Keenan said. "(Since) Mezei went down there's been a hole in terms of depth. He's got a tremendous reach; covers a lot of ice.

"He's pretty active, a big man who can contain people, which you need today."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...otes_1120.html

Quinn as usual is ahead of the curve on the need for big dman. We have alot of them. Maybe their is a deal for Luongo with a Big D man and Belfour.

Old
11-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Leaf Army

Is Luongo available? Perhaps. Will the Leafs get him? No.

Is Belfour expendable? Well maybe if we got a guy like Luongo in return, sure. But that's clearly not gonna happen so he's not expendable. He's not going anywhere.

Is the Semenov trade the beginning? The Semenov trade ranks right up there with the Nathan Perrott deal. Actually we recieved more for Perrott than Edmonton did for Semenov.

I'm glad Semenov was finally traded so we don't have to listen to people inflating his value anymore. I lost count of how many times people suggested we get Semenov and I replied that he'd be worthless.

Hopefully I won't have to debate anymore with people who say "Semenov would immediately be a top four on the Leafs and looks like he could develop into another Chara."

Old
11-21-2005, 12:32 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Is the Semenov trade the beginning? The Semenov trade ranks right up there with the Nathan Perrott deal. Actually we recieved more for Perrott than Edmonton did for Semenov.
The Leafs recieved more for Perrot then the Oil did for Semenov?

I thought the pick Semenov was traded for was not disclosed?

What pick did Edmonton get?

Old
11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mama
Quinn as usual is ahead of the curve on the need for big dman. We have alot of them. Maybe their is a deal for Luongo with a Big D man and Belfour.
Wonder if we could dangle Quinn as an upgrade to coach Jacques Martin as part of the trade as well..

After all coaches have exchanged teams before as part NHL transactions and draft picks have been included ..

Quinn being a dinosaur among coaches and already living out his retirement contract at our expense as he approaches age 63. He might like to settle down in Florida to begin easing himself into it, so it doesn't come as quite such a shock to the old mans system later on ..

PS.. Quinn is welcome to take as many of those Killer B's or big lumbering dman as he see fit with him ..

Old
11-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
Wonder if we could dangle Quinn as an upgrade to coach Jacques Martin as part of the trade as well..

After all coaches have exchanged teams before as part NHL transactions and draft picks have been included ..

Quinn being a dinosaur among coaches and already living out his retirement contract at our expense as he approaches age 63, he might like to settle down in Florida to begin easing himself into it, so it doesn't come as quite such a shock to the old mans system later on ..

Kudo's funny stuff.

Old
11-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
The Leafs recieved more for Perrot then the Oil did for Semenov?

I thought the pick Semenov was traded for was not disclosed?

What pick did Edmonton get?
The report I read somewhere said a 7th pick if Florida doesn't make the playoffs and a 5th if they do.

Edit: Here's a link.....

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...otes_1120.html

Old
11-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mama
Kudo's funny stuff.
Well the only coach that Quinn has been able to outcoach in the playoffs the past 5 years is Jacques Martin to win 1 round for the Leafs. (only other exception was the Isles blood bath of 2001-02) ..

Since hoping the Leafs meet the Florida Panthers in the 1st round for that to continue seems remote at best .. So the best plan seems if you can't beat them, let Quinn join them there ..

Old
11-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Well the only coach that Quinn has been able to outcoach in the playoffs the past 5 years is Jacques Martin to win 1 round for the Leafs. (only other exception was the Isles blood bath of 2001-02) ..

Since hoping the Leafs meet the Florida Panthers in the 1st round for that to continue seems remote at best .. So the best plan seems if you can't beat them, let Quinn join them there ..
As other coaches contiune to lose in the first round and fall by the wayside Quinn continues his winning ways and racks up the career first round winning percentage.

Poor Martin lasted longer than most after being bested by Quinn. But of course Martin himself could beat everyone except Quinn, which is why he stuck around so long.

Old
11-22-2005, 08:12 PM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
If Luongo is proved to be 100% healthy, I for one wouldn't mind gambling by giving up 4 1st rounders for him (but I wouldn't want to give up our proven prospects though)...he is the kind of franchise goalie the Leafs need...relative young, dominating (he has been saladed with bad teams throughout his career)..we need a super goalie to face off with Hasek...I honestly believe Hasek is superior over Belfour at this moment.

Old
11-22-2005, 08:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

If Luongo is UFA and Belfour is optional who has more value?

Would you do Bouwmeester and Luongo for Belfour and McCabe and Colaiacovo?

Old
11-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55

Quote:
PANTHERS GM CONSIDERING CHANGES.

FORT LAUDERDALE SUN-SENTINEL: David Joseph reports Floria Panthers GM Mike Keenan said Monday he might make some roster changes prior to the return of injured players Joe Nieuwendyk, Nathan Horton and Rostislav Olesz. He's already placed defenceman Alexander Karpotsev on waivers and admitted he's spoken with other GMs around the league, although nothing specific was discussed. Regarding rumours he might be shopping goalie Roberto Luongo or defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, Keenan stated "There's never been any discussion regarding those two players at all this season."
What is Keenan talking about ??. You are talking about it right here ..

Never hurts to ask I say ..

Old
11-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
What is Keenan talking about ??. You are talking about it right here ..

Never hurts to ask I say ..

Of course Keenan is talking and for sure to Jr GM. Anthony Stewart is available as well. The Panthers need to challenge for a playoff spot. He also has lots of cap space and loves Belfour...from his Chicago days as the coach.

Old
11-23-2005, 03:45 AM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55

Yes I'll! I still believe Mccabe is someone who plays well during the regular season, but could become horrible in playoffs....Colaiacovo is good and young but he is injury prone...

Old
11-23-2005, 08:21 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Despite all of Keenen's problems

he wins more trades then he lose

he will make a bad deal--but when he wins a deal--he wins in a walk

ie

Linden for McCabe, Bertuzzi and a pick(ruutu)

so if Jr calls him--he better watch himself

Closed Thread