Notices

What the heck is happening in Minny?

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
What the heck is happening in Minny?

Such a strong start, I expected to see Minnesota up in the standings for a lot longer than what it turned out to be. Did they just cool off before getting hot again? Or are the problems more serious than that?

Also, whats Gaboriks status?

Old
11-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
Such a strong start, I expected to see Minnesota up in the standings for a lot longer than what it turned out to be. Did they just cool off before getting hot again? Or are the problems more serious than that?

Also, whats Gaboriks status?
Injuries galore, mostly of the groin variety. Defensive lapses, especially in the 3rd period. Playing undisciplined on the road. Tough division. No Gaborik. No Gaborik. And finally, no Gaborik. Mix that all in with the fact that we are skating with alot of inexperienced players and you have the slump we are in.

The goaltending has been good though...

Old
11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
vitogor

Bottom line is, this team is not prime-time ready yet. Not this season, not even when Gaborik comes back. In a couple of years this team should be rocking though, think this year's Nashville.

Old
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
ceber

I think the goals came too easily early on and convinced us we were better than we actually were. A little adversity due to injuries, other teams getting their games together, etc. and suddenly things looked pretty ugly. Lemaire's cracking the whip and we'll be back on track soon enough. On track to where, I don't know, but on track.

On the bright side, Koivu looks great, I think.

Old
11-21-2005, 05:11 PM
jacK

Don't exactly follow Minny too closely, but from what I've seen you're [coaching is] having trouble adapting to the new NHL (i really hate typing that and using it as an example, but hear me out.)
My example of this is your shootout loss to the Blue Jackets. Dwayne had to stand on his head that game to keep it 1-0, but he really shouldn't have to. You guys need to try to make it 2-0 in that situation, and for whatever reason don't. Instead you try to lock it down and win 1-0, and get bitten in the end.
You're 25th in goals scored, and that's not going to cut it. I know not having Gabby hurts, but he's not the only one that can put the puck in the net. Your goalie(s) are outstanding, but only because you make them have to be. If they let up 2, there's a good chance they're not winning. It's a nice luxury to have 2 goalies that can shut it down like Roli & Manny, but take some pressure off them and show some aggression on the other end of the ice.

Old
11-21-2005, 05:46 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

the season is still early...

Old
11-22-2005, 09:41 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK
Don't exactly follow Minny too closely, but from what I've seen you're [coaching is] having trouble adapting to the new NHL (i really hate typing that and using it as an example, but hear me out.)
I can see how it might look that way, but I think it's only superficial. Lemaire initially let the guys play pretty loose (seriously), and has just over the past week or two started to try to bring them back to the old defense-first ways. I'm pretty sure the example with CBJ was not a coaching decision. In fact, from all I've read over the past few years here, Lemaire rarely tries to sit on a narrow lead. The team ends up playing that way, but if you believe what Lemaire says it's not because he wants them to do so, and he tries to get them to keep pushing. I think it's just a natural tendency when you play in a defensive system that you get more conservative after you have a lead. It takes a lot of concentration to stay on that defense + counter-attack edge, and the counter-attack is the first casualty when the concentration lapses.

Closed Thread