HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

We're Watching You - Slam! Article

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 07:18 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
We're Watching You - Slam! Article

How true. Very nice article about playing in Edmonton.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031012/col_tychkowski-sun.html

10-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Oi'll say!

Unfortunately for Comrie he never got to go through the "young kid with no expectations on him" stage where you play on the 4th line and fans love you no matter what you do. Even Weight got to play that role here, I can still remember when DW claimed "I can be a #1 center in this league" and me thinking that we would be in trouble if that was the case.

When Mike broke into the league after holding out as a ufa ( ) and then took over the #1 spot from Weight he was right in the thick of things from day 1, having a brutal season like the last one (defensively) really put him behind the 8 ball.

I know that the fans here believed in him long term, he has an inner toughness and desire that will get him far in this world with any amount of skill, but I can understand how a guy can only take so much flak.

Waiting....

Old
10-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Comrie can pull up his bottom lip anytime now. Seriously you are making millions of dollars to play hockey in YOUR city, the City of Champions.

Comrie although good about his situation in the media... behind closed doors I would bet money that he is wining more than the Big E.

Lowe and MacT both seemed rather frustrated and on edge when confronted with the situation during the CBC double header last night. Time will tell but i think the sooner we deal with this the better but if trading MC is the way we have to go then so be it but lets get quality rather than quantity in return.

Mike just in case your on here reading what i have to say "Edmonton is widely known as the best city to play hockey in and it is a given that we have the best crowd and atmosphere. Think about that man, seriously, you go somewhere else and the pressure might not be as high but the cheers won't be as loud. You got it good here Mikey and i think you need the Oilers as bad as the Oilers need you."

Thats about all i have to say for now. Hopefully KLO has either the pen or the phone ready to rock. Something needs to be done and done pronto!!!

Old
10-12-2003, 11:31 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
How true. Very nice article about playing in Edmonton.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031012/col_tychkowski-sun.html
This article is a testament to the type of character that it takes to thrive on our team.

"I don't care who you are, if you're a top player in a Canadian city you have to deal with it and to me that's part of the responsibility of being a top player." - Simmer - gotta love him.

"I'm friendly with everybody, so if people come up to me and talk, I don't mind. In a restaurant, even though you're eating, people think they might never see you again so they take the opportunity. I understand. I really don't mind it; they're our fans, they pay our salaries. And we have the best time here in the playoffs. It's the least you can do." - BG - he gets it.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:24 AM
LawnDemon

that article was a very good read.

i specifically enjoyed Craig Simpson's comments. too bad that Pouty Smurf likely didn't read it.

i also really liked what georges had to say. and to all of you dumb-***** that challenge the guy to a fight when he goes to the bar - grow up. that's just pathetic. maybe if you cut down on the roids you would also be able to cut down the rage (and wang envy).

Old
10-13-2003, 09:39 AM
creative giant*

"I guess if you don't want to have pressure or pride on the line, and you want to hide, fine," said Simpson. "But as an athlete, that should be your goal - to reach a level where you are recognizable.

"In the off-season, yeah, go to a place like L.A. where nobody cares. Great, go out and have a good time. During the season your number one job is to the team and the city. Nowadays, for guys, that's a small price to pay."

Zing! Gotta love Simpson.

Closed Thread