HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Where do you see Vermette fitting into the lineup? (FUTURE)

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

vCash: 500
Where do you see Vermette fitting into the lineup? (FUTURE)

Am I the only one that looks at the Sens and doesn't see a long term spot for Vermette?

The first line will stay intact, I belive. I don't see him having a chance of breaking that up.

The second line is the most likely spot, possibly on the left with kai and havlat (or anouther rw in a trade for marty). Schaefer will move down the the 3rd with Fisher when smolinski is given the boot, I assume. But does vermette even play well on the left? It has seem to slipped my memory. If that spot is vermette's then where does eaves go? Will he be stuck on the third line? Will Eaves be better then vermette?

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a great player, but could we possibly trade him in the near future for someone with a more defined future role?

Feel free to comment.

Old
11-22-2005, 10:55 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
It's tough to say. He can, no doubt, be a great 3rd line center in this league. We're still waiting to see if his offensive abilities can translate to the NHL level. Then again, we also have Fisher as a great 3rd line center who also could become a 2nd line guy. A lot depends on how Kaigorodov can do when he comes over. He's not a sure thing.

Old
11-22-2005, 11:15 PM
trentmccleary

I think he'll replace Smoke as the last guy puttied into the lineup.

Depending on who proves that they can handle what positions:
Alfie- Spezza- Heatley
Vermette- Vermette- Havlat
Vermette- Vermette- Neil
Body - Kelly- McGratton

Schaefer will take one of those LW spots.
Fisher will occupy any one of those spots.
Kaigorodov may be fighting Eaves for a roster spot. Eaves will win.
Maybe Neil gets bumped down after all is said and done.

Old
11-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Excellent. Four cloned Vermettes at his salary will be perfect for us. That means we can probably keep Redden and Chara.

Old
11-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

i dont know....dont the copies get a little fuzzier with each cloning? i know they did in multiplicity.

Old
11-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Max Power

I like Vermette and hope we keep him long term. Although IMO heís much better as a left winger and a strong 3rd liner at that.
Heís the only French Canadian on a team with French fans so thatís also a small reason to keep him.

Old
11-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Rico__Persson*

Vermette will be great. Give him time. I can see him scoring 20-25 once he gets full confidence and learns the game from an offensive standpoint, instead of the defensive one he has been under in his first few years here. I hope he's in Ottawa when hes scoring 25 goals a year.

I don't think the big top line is untouchable. There is a good chance they won't finish the year together. Sometimes change is needed. The one thing that never changes is the fact that Alfresson carries any line he is on. He is the heart of the top line, shift in shift out. If another line is missing that little something, why not give them two teaspoon fulls of some Alfredsson?

Old
11-23-2005, 11:36 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
The one thing that never changes is the fact that Alfresson carries any line he is on. He is the heart of the top line, shift in shift out. If another line is missing that little something, why not give them two teaspoon fulls of some Alfredsson?
In fact, Murray did so last night, putting Alfie on the 2nd line in the 2nd period for at least a shift or two. Of course, this was somewhat necessary after Havlat went down...

As for Vermette, I don't think you can ever get enough of guys like him in a cap system: cheap, young guys who can play on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th lines at almost any forward position.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Release The Lehner

I see Vermette as our 3rd line center for the next 3-4 years.

Personally I like Fisher on LW better than at C. He gets more of a chance to go in hard on the forecheck and is also getting pretty good at driving wide on defenders from the wing. He could be 2nd line LW but I'd rather have a better offensive presence at 2nd line C.

Vermette needs some time to mature as an offensive player, and I don't see that happening for a few years. The defensive minded 3rd line center with flashes of offensive potential at about ~$1 Million per year is where I see him.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Lonnie Loach

I've seen enough of Vermette in Bingo last year that I am pretty certain he'll be an excellent 2-way second line center in a couple of years. He's skilled, an excellent skater, tougher than a lot of people give him credit for, and has the ability to raise the level of his play in important games. As for Kaigodorov, in my mind he's a big question mark, regardless of the scouting reports. NHL history is filled with guys who play well in Europe but can't translate that into the NHL. He's also older than Vermette.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:39 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
I see Vermette as our 3rd line center for the next 3-4 years.

Personally I like Fisher on LW better than at C. He gets more of a chance to go in hard on the forecheck and is also getting pretty good at driving wide on defenders from the wing. He could be 2nd line LW but I'd rather have a better offensive presence at 2nd line C.

Vermette needs some time to mature as an offensive player, and I don't see that happening for a few years. The defensive minded 3rd line center with flashes of offensive potential at about ~$1 Million per year is where I see him.
Apparently The Senator has been cloned, and I am that clone.

The only thing I would add is that trading Vermette now is risky. He has not had enough time or stability to get comfortable and develop. Unless the acquiring GM thinks he's more of a lock for top 6 forward than we do, we're not likely to get fair value for him.

For next year I like a third line of Schaefer-Vermette-Neil. Cost effective with a mix of grit, defence, puck possession, speed and flashes of offence skattered throughout. The kind of line that can frustrate an opponent and then chip in a few timely goals.

Closed Thread