HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyutin vs Strudwick

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Nemchinov13

vCash: 500
As much as I like Drats and being a Russian nationalist as well, I'd say that Max has been the most inconsistent defenseman. But he is a rookie and only 22. If he will continue to develop, he'd be a nice two-way, 2nd pairing defenseman. At worst he'll be 5th or 6th defenseman. IMO, Strudwick's combination of experience, solid defensive play and hitting, has him above Kondratiev on the depth chart. But NHL playing time is more important for Maxim's development... I'm glad to have Strudwick, though. He's a great team guy, is always prepared, and can be inserted into the line up almost instantenously. Just like in Rucinsky's case, it's another nice problem to have. We have 7 NHL-ready defensemen on the roster and Pock and Lampman in the system.

Old
11-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Bretzky*

Can anyone explain to me why it seems that most people on here, as well as the Rangers management is so hell-bent on getting Kondratiev playing time and letting HIM develop instead of Tomas Pock who I thought was DEFINITELY going to make the team after preseason. He made a number of beautiful 2 line passes to spring forwards loose on odd-man rushes, and had a great pre-season and now I hear he's playing solid in Hartford. I'm just very surprised that Kondratiev gets all this hype and time to develop when Pock seems much more ready to me.

Can anyone answer me this? I'm not being sarcastic at all. I just don't get it.

Thanks.

Old
11-23-2005, 04:34 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-NYR-9968
Can anyone explain to me why it seems that most people on here, as well as the Rangers management is so hell-bent on getting Kondratiev playing time and letting HIM develop instead of Tomas Pock who I thought was DEFINITELY going to make the team after preseason. He made a number of beautiful 2 line passes to spring forwards loose on odd-man rushes, and had a great pre-season and now I hear he's playing solid in Hartford. I'm just very surprised that Kondratiev gets all this hype and time to develop when Pock seems much more ready to me.

Thanks.
Going by fans who watched him last season in Hartford (not me, I rarely saw him) they said he was not very impressive down in Hartford. On the other hand Kondratiev was playing in a better league last season and from what I heard (again 2nd hand info) he played pretty solid for a 21 year old.

I have heard Pock is playing better this season in Hartford and he will definitely get his shot with the Rangers sometime in the season. I just don't think Drats should have to suffer to rush a young player up here when sooner or later one of our defensman will get injured long enough to call someone else up.

IMO like I have stated before, sending Drats back down to Hartford wouldn't really benefit him seeing how hes improved drastically in the few short months in the NHL then how he was in the pre-season.

Again this is just my opinion and from this thread alone some disagree. Also I believe Drats has a better shot at being a top 4 dman (for that matter, i think its a lock he will be a top 4 dman down the line) Rangers manament could see the same in him which is why they want to give him ice time and keep him up. Pock im 50/50 on if he could become a top 4 dman some day.

Old
11-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Matsi
got paws?

I've seen three Rangers games this season and Struds really impressed me. He's always been a great guy, we know that. But it seems he has more to offer than what a lot of people thought. He's definetely more than a seventh blueliner and deserves to play.

Old
11-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-NYR-9968

Thanks.
Pck defenitly showed great instincts on thoose two home run passes, but overall he wasn't good enough even in preseason. He especially had problems with the small plays, simple breakout passes weren't delived when they should ect. Look, Pck have about 2.5 years of experience as a defensemen, some ECHL/AHL pro experience. If Thomas keeps developing down in HFD for another year and takes his game to another level he could be a steal because all the tools are there, but his game overall in the preseason wasn't even close. I just don't see a single reason why they should play him in the NHL now, AHL is the best place for him to develop. Thoug I haven't see him play since HFD:s game 1 and 3 this season so I don't know how he is comming along this season.

On Kondratiev, Max game have defenitly been up and down since his 1st shift of the 1st preseason game. He was awful in the game against Toronto. But at the same time I think Kondratiev is handling allot situations in the NHL really really well. Especially moving the puck deep in his own end under pressure. Its missfires sometimes, like last night, but for example 95% of the D's in the league just slam the pucks against the bords if they find themselfs with the back towards the ice and a forechecker bearing down on them. Kondratiev is great at fending of the checker and getting away a decent pass. Drats defenitly also have some puckmoving skills, or atleast potential and grit.

The bottom line is that Drats and Pck are diffrent players, Drats where maybe the best D on the best team in Russia last year, and there where some good players in russia last year. He is a option for the Russian Olympique national team. Drats is a player that can handle all situations(especially the small plays) really well in the NHL, he just needs to learn to do it all the time.

Pck is really talented in some areas of the game, but not all. When/if he is able to take his game to the next level he could be pretty good, but the needs to learn the pro game. He is a kid that can make the big plays in the NHL, but not the small and D needs to be able to handle all situations in the NHL, otherwise someone will end up at the hospital...

Old
11-24-2005, 01:04 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Pck defenitly showed great instincts on thoose two home run passes, but overall he wasn't good enough even in preseason. He especially had problems with the small plays, simple breakout passes weren't delived when they should ect. Look, Pck have about 2.5 years of experience as a defensemen, some ECHL/AHL pro experience. If Thomas keeps developing down in HFD for another year and takes his game to another level he could be a steal because all the tools are there, but his game overall in the preseason wasn't even close. I just don't see a single reason why they should play him in the NHL now, AHL is the best place for him to develop. Thoug I haven't see him play since HFD:s game 1 and 3 this season so I don't know how he is comming along this season.

On Kondratiev, Max game have defenitly been up and down since his 1st shift of the 1st preseason game. He was awful in the game against Toronto. But at the same time I think Kondratiev is handling allot situations in the NHL really really well. Especially moving the puck deep in his own end under pressure. Its missfires sometimes, like last night, but for example 95% of the D's in the league just slam the pucks against the bords if they find themselfs with the back towards the ice and a forechecker bearing down on them. Kondratiev is great at fending of the checker and getting away a decent pass. Drats defenitly also have some puckmoving skills, or atleast potential and grit.

The bottom line is that Drats and Pck are diffrent players, Drats where maybe the best D on the best team in Russia last year, and there where some good players in russia last year. He is a option for the Russian Olympique national team. Drats is a player that can handle all situations(especially the small plays) really well in the NHL, he just needs to learn to do it all the time.

Pck is really talented in some areas of the game, but not all. When/if he is able to take his game to the next level he could be pretty good, but the needs to learn the pro game. He is a kid that can make the big plays in the NHL, but not the small and D needs to be able to handle all situations in the NHL, otherwise someone will end up at the hospital...
I think Ola nailed it on the head.

Old
11-24-2005, 01:31 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
I think Ola nailed it on the head.

Agreed, very good post Ola.

Old
11-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Nemchinov13

Ola, great post, dude. Right on the head.

Although, Lada Togliatti (Max's team) was not the best, he certainly was the most consistent defenseman on it. (and one of the yonger ones too). Not surprisingly, Tyutin was the best defenseman on SKA St. Petersburg team too. Even Garth Snow (SKA's goaltender in 04-05) said that he felt the safest when Tyutin was on ice.

Old
11-24-2005, 02:15 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

You know, I can't believe some of the stuff I read here. The Rangers are currently 4th in the league in team defense. That's pretty good and quite an improvement over the horror show we've seen there the last several years. Malek and Rozival are the number one pair and they are not going to sit unless their play degresses considerably. Tyutin has been solid, not spectacular. Poti has certainly improved in recent games. Kaspar is Kasper. That leaves Drats, who has had some rookie struggles but is certainly not out of place in the league (i.e. Alberts on Boston) and Strudwick (a very competent career journeyman) playing for the last spot. Strudwick deserves credit for being ready to play when called upon. These 7 guys won their jobs in camp, have played very well and deserve stable management. Everyone complains that the Rangers don't have a number one defenseman right now but we do have several 2's, 3's and 4's -- right now not many teams in the depth challenged NHL can make that claim.

Last edited by bobbop: 11-24-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Closed Thread