HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I guess Avery only said what others are thinking

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2005, 12:36 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00
check out Fedoruks quote after the phx game tonight

http://www.nhl.com/scores/recaps/321_2_recap.html
"It was something that had to be addressed," Fedoruk said. "I'm not naming names but you have a guy out there with a visor on running around like he's King Kong. He's not going to back it up. If the refs aren't going to call it, then it falls on the players to take it on. There were so many high hits and late hits."

As long as he doesnt call out the over sensitive FC population he will be fine.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:41 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
No, I know, I was just saying.

Fedoruk's a tough cookie no doubt, but I feel sorry for Nedved.
I don't. I think Fedoruk was spot on with his hit and assesment. Gauthier is a punk, plain and simple. He attacked Lupul, so it only makes sense that Fedoruk hits Nedved or any other key player that's in his path.
We have way to many chicken ***** running around hitting people (dirty) that can't back there play.
I hope next game Fedoruk grabs Gauthier and whips his ***. I can't stand the quacks, but Fedoruk is right.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:56 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Exactly, Fedoruk did what he had to do, they were hitting the Ducks skilled players, so he has to counter.

This is something the Kings weren't doing for the past few years, now that AM has finally woken up and put guys like Cowan and Parros and even Flinn and Belanger in occasionally, the Kings have the guys out there to counter if something happens.
I think AM now has that option of dressing tougher players this year as we have incredible offensive depth. I wonder if Fedoruk accomplished what we as hockey fans hope for from an 'enforcer'? Will other teams be wary of running Duck players? From a spectators point of view, I would have to think so. I would be a little nervous if Brown goes out and nails Selanne for fear that Fridge will take out Frolov.

Imo, Fridge is an outstanding enforcer. He does what he has to do and can back it up against anyone in this league. As far as im concerned, this guy is no Duck. Hes merely an unfortunate Flyer who got banished to the seventh level of hockey hell. I truly feel sorry for him having to put that jersey on....my sympathies to you Todd.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:00 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
I don't. I think Fedoruk was spot on with his hit and assesment. Gauthier is a punk, plain and simple. He attacked Lupul, so it only makes sense that Fedoruk hits Nedved or any other key player that's in his path.
We have way to many chicken ***** running around hitting people (dirty) that can't back there play.
I hope next game Fedoruk grabs Gauthier and whips his ***. I can't stand the quacks, but Fedoruk is right.

Gauthier's elbows were down and Lupul was bending over slightly. Gauthier didnt leave his feet and caught Lupul with a shoulder to the chin. It was honestly a clean hit. I still think Fedoruk did the right thing though.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Fingolfin

Was it right for Fedoruk to take a run at Nedved? Absolutely.

Was it right for Fedoruk to leave his feet and elbow Nedved in the ear? Absolutely not.

I'm all for the "an eye for an eye" philosophy, but if you're not gonna do it cleanly, you have no business playing in the NHL.

- Fin

Old
11-23-2005, 01:09 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00
Myabe it's me, but I didn't think Gauthier's hit was dirty. He had his elbows down and it looked as if Lupul was bending over slightly and Gauthier caught him with a shoulder to the chin. In regards to Fedoruk's hit, I think its all a matter of opinion as to whether or not he did the 'right' thing.

Personally, if the Kings were in a similar situation I would want the same response. The 'eye for an eye' mentally sends the stronger message. It may or may not be correct, but each person has their own opinion and that's mine. 'You kill my brother, I kill your mother' cliche.
I could not agree more - well, maybe I'd soften up the last line to "you hurt my brother, I hurt your brother".

Gauthier was close to the edge with both hits and Fedoruk definitely needed to come out flying. I'd have respected him a bit more if he had stayed on his feet and plowed into Shane Doan or Sean O'Donnell, but hey, the tone was already set and TFed doesn't get to pick who is on the ice when his shift is up - that falls to the Coyotes coach.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:09 PM
jester099

Quote:
Exactly, Fedoruk did what he had to do, they were hitting the Ducks skilled players, so he has to counter.
Then, they really should send a memo to officialize that hockey as become a non contact sport.

I didn't see the hit on Lupul, but to say that because a defencemen hit a "Skill" forward, it's alright to attempt to injure the other team's "skill" player, it's just silly.

Old
11-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Sure Gauthier is a punk, I completely agree, but he wasn't called for a penalty from his hit on Lupul. He didn't attack him at all, he layed a check where he got his elbow high, but he wasn't called for a penalty, and it was unfortunate Lupul ended up getting hurt. But Fedoruk did attack someone, and it was the wrong guy. Why did he take out Nedved with his flying elbow? Why didn't he do it to Gauthier? You complain about chicken **** players running around, well Fedoruk was chicken **** when he took out Nedved. He should've taken someone else on, like Gauthier or Doan.

Old
11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
took420s

Quote:
Sure Gauthier is a punk, I completely agree, but he wasn't called for a penalty from his hit on Lupul. He didn't attack him at all, he layed a check where he got his elbow high, but he wasn't called for a penalty, and it was unfortunate Lupul ended up getting hurt. But Fedoruk did attack someone, and it was the wrong guy. Why did he take out Nedved with his flying elbow? Why didn't he do it to Gauthier? You complain about chicken **** players running around, well Fedoruk was chicken **** when he took out Nedved. He should've taken someone else on, like Gauthier or Doan.

I think Gauthier is the one that should have been pounded and not Nedved.

But that is risk of having a Gauthier out there. The guy takes runs at other players but still wears the visor so he can't fight. This a good message to coaches of these types of players. If you are going to go with these pests then the pest better back up his actions or else one of your other players will by default. If Avery nails somebody he is there to take the heat, leaving our other players out of it and therefore defusing the situation.

Vigilante justice was warranted here IMO because of the rep of Gauthier.

Old
11-23-2005, 05:00 PM
swinginutter*

I see some of the points here.......but. In my honest opinion I think every single hit these days are scrutinized and disected with a microscope. Hits like these back in the day were an every day occurence, and when I say back in the day, I mean not that far back in the past (5yrs maybe). When Blake was a King he use to end people.....exact hits like Fedoruk's last night. Because Nedved was slow to get up, it got exxagerated.
Army did the same last night and got a penalty. I don't disagree with th minor for leaving his feet. But players have been doing that forever and a day.
Watching that Fedoruk hit, to me wasn't that big of a deal.......In fact it looked normal. We've endured far worse this year with no calls.

Old
11-23-2005, 05:05 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
I see some of the points here.......but. In my honest opinion I think every single hit these days are scrutinized and disected with a microscope. Hits like these back in the day were an every day occurence, and when I say back in the day, I mean not that far back in the past (5yrs maybe). When Blake was a King he use to end people.....exact hits like Fedoruk's last night. Because Nedved was slow to get up, it got exxagerated.
Army did the same last night and got a penalty. I don't disagree with th minor for leaving his feet. But players have been doing that forever and a day.
Watching that Fedoruk hit, to me wasn't that big of a deal.......In fact it looked normal. We've endured far worse this year with no calls.

lol! Armstrongs flying butt check was hilarious. If Gretz thought Fridge 'jumped 8ft in the air', he would've thought Army caught so much air his helmet grazed the jumbotron.

Old
11-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Reaper45

Throwing your elbow at someone after you left your feet is not a normal check.

Old
11-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Amen

Two wrongs don't make a right. I am all for retaliation, but Gauthier should have been the target.

Now more Phoenix players are going to be taking runs at Ducks players and it could get ugly, especially since they play each other in a few days. A hit on Gauthier, justice is served and Fedoruk likely doesn't get suspended or maybe gets 1 game. A hit on Nedved escalates it.

Old
11-23-2005, 06:53 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s
I think Gauthier is the one that should have been pounded and not Nedved.

But that is risk of having a Gauthier out there. The guy takes runs at other players but still wears the visor so he can't fight. This a good message to coaches of these types of players. If you are going to go with these pests then the pest better back up his actions or else one of your other players will by default. If Avery nails somebody he is there to take the heat, leaving our other players out of it and therefore defusing the situation.

Vigilante justice was warranted here IMO because of the rep of Gauthier.
I can condone Fedoruk going after a Yote - but Nedved? Please. He should have retaliated against Gauthier.

Old
11-25-2005, 03:12 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

I think people jump at this "eye for an eye" response when emotional things happen (especially with guys named Gauthier).....but it really doesnt make things better...these guys are playing hockey, they're not gangbanging...the next time when Brown curshes someone with a hit the other team saw as questionable, i dont want their enforcer targeting Frolov's knees for the rest of the game....

(here it comes...another rant about fighting in hockey)...

in fact, the original meaning of the phrase "eye for an eye" was not a reference to revenge, but justice....and that's the angle by which we ought to look at things like fighting and retaliation in hockey...i think a hockey game resembles the "srewd-up-ness" of our world in that people do things that are wrong...and when that happens justice must be executed...and if the officials dont do their jobs, then the players need protect their own team preferably by sending the enforcer out to "send the message" to the aggressor to prevent him from harming your team further....but this doesnt happen the right way these days, probably b/c of the instigator...but even if the instigator was taken out of the game, then a whole new set of problems arise b/c...yes...again....the "screwd-up-ness" of the game

Old
11-25-2005, 04:13 AM
alanschu

Quote:

Because the point Fedoruk was trying to make is if you do cheap, dirty stuff against our skilled players, I'm going to do it to YOUR skilled players.

I'm not saying Gauthier's hits were or were not clean (I haven't seen them), but in Fedoruk's eyes they were, and he felt as though the "system" was broken and had to take care of things himself. Just because it's not called a penalty doesn't necessarily mean it is a legal hit. And that seems to be the way Fedoruk saw it.

Old
11-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Yeah, Nashville players should have injured Demitra instead of trying to fight Avery who never backed it up anyway.

That would have teach him a lesson.

Old
11-25-2005, 11:29 AM
habs_24x

Quote:
So which one are you? Ebert or Roeper?

Let's see........you have no favorite club and if you do, you won't admit who they are.........and you seem to like the whole league except Toronto. I'd classify you as a homer, poser and a band-wagoner.

I could call you a troll, but i'd rather say **** off!.....eh!
the guy was just calling it like he saw it, no need to get rude.

the truth is, after seeing Avery make a specticle of himself right in the middle of the ice surface in front of all those fans and on TV, there is no doubt Avery is [not a nice guy].

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 11-25-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old
11-25-2005, 01:45 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
It is well understood that Avery is a volatile topic. But if your post does not add anything to a legitimate conversation, don't bother with it.

From here on out, any person that posts nothing more than his displeasure with Avery as a person and a player without adding something new to the conversation (e.g. "Avery is a worthless puke.") will be dealt with severely. Any person responding to such a post will likewise be dealt with severely.

From this point out, post at your own risk.

11-25-2005, 02:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
I can condone Fedoruk going after a Yote - but Nedved? Please. He should have retaliated against Gauthier.

Gauthier threw a questiobale hit on Lupul. so Fedoruk went after a Yote forward.

Old
11-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Gauthier threw a questiobale hit on Lupul. so Fedoruk went after a Yote forward.
Call me crazy but I think what he was trying to say is that if Gauthier throws a questionable hit, it's more effective to have Fedoruk go punch his face in and concuss him, rather than hurt someone who had nothing to do with the play. What's going to stop me from playing dirty if it's only going to be others getting hurt? I think it'd have been more effective to hurt Gauthier and teach him a lesson that way.

Old
11-25-2005, 02:34 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Call me crazy but I think what he was trying to say is that if Gauthier throws a questionable hit, it's more effective to have Fedoruk go punch his face in and concuss him, rather than hurt someone who had nothing to do with the play. What's going to stop me from playing dirty if it's only going to be others getting hurt? I think it'd have been more effective to hurt Gauthier and teach him a lesson that way.
That's exactly correct. Although, your post should have read in part "I think what she was trying to say..."

Old
11-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
That's exactly correct. Although, your post should have read in part "I think what she was trying to say..."
Sorry!

Old
11-25-2005, 03:00 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Sorry!
No problem, I assume most posters are male too. Just thought I'd zing you one.

Old
11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Sorry!
Gender based assumption!!!

Closed Thread