HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Need to Get Doug Weight

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Rob Stauber*

vCash: 500
Kings Need to Get Doug Weight

He's making 5.7 mill. Now before I go on, I will admit Im not sure how many years he has left on the contract. Now Roenick will be off the books after this year anyway. With the cap going up, we should have enough room. Not only that but, we're only gonna be increasing our salary by 700k because of what Roenicks salary was/is. Weight gives us another legit scoring centre. And we NEED one. Roenick is not cutting. Weight still has game. Imagine a line of Conroy & Demitra and then Weight & Frolov ? That would be great. Thats a legit scoring line. We really don't have a legit second scoring line right now. Weight would be the perfect fit.

Now the second part of the equation of course is what do we give up ? Grebs + Cammy ? Grebs and 3rd ? Im sure we would be able to accomodate St. Louis somehow.

This thread would like to hear from you.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Weight will be unrestricted at the end of the season, so I think giving up anyone like Cammalleri would be a waste. Now if they can strike a deal similar to the Straka trade, then I'm all for it. Would be great if Pleau was dumb enough to swap Weight for JR.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Weight will be unrestricted at the end of the season, so I think giving up anyone like Cammalleri would be a waste. Now if they can strike a deal similar to the Straka trade, then I'm all for it. Would be great if Pleau was dumb enough to swap Weight for JR.

1. If Weight is indeed a UFA after this season then that defintely change the situation. I would still take a look at him in free agency for 3-3.5 per for 3 years.

2. No way in hell Pleau does the Roenick/Weight deal. Althought I pray to god he is.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:18 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

weight is one of the few assets that team has, and they've clearly gone into rebuild mode. they're going to ship him to whichever contender offers the best prospect--and i hope it isn't the kings. he's not going to put them over the top, and if they are comfortable with trading prospects/picks for a roster player, it should be a defenseman. weight would be nothing more than a rent-a-player, and i wouldn't want them to resign him. younger, better, and cheaper will be available. (unless there's a serious market correction in the next signing season that drops weight's salary down to 3 million/year at the absolute most)

Old
12-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser
(unless there's a serious market correction in the next signing season that drops weight's salary down to 3 million/year at the absolute most)

Even with the cap going up, I still don't think he will get more than 3.5m per from anybody.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:41 PM
willie

We don't "need" Weight at all. Given that he is an expiring contract, the bidding will likely be pretty high league-wide. I doubt trading the assets required will be in the best long term interests of the club.

This club has the stuff to compete with anybody in the league sans Ottawa in a seven game series. More importantly, they are only going to get better in the coming years. Blowing our load to try and make a run this year would be short-sighted. (admittedly, since Weight is a UFA he isn't going to hurt our financial flexibility but I suspect the bidding will get high for his services)

Old
12-11-2005, 05:43 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
Even with the cap going up, I still don't think he will get more than 3.5m per from anybody.
It depends. If (when) he gets traded and has a terrific showing in the playoffs, he will still get a nice contract. If Glen Murray is getting 4 million a year, the bidding for Weight could definetly top that. (although it would be a shorter contract)

Old
12-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings would be better off giving a lucrative offer to a younger center, such as Brad Richards, who is slated to become a restricted free agent next summer. He might be difficult for Lightning GM Jay Feaster to retain, given the contracts of Lecavalier and St. Louis, and I believe they will attempt to re-sign their #1 defenseman, Pavel Kubina, and may have a need to address between the pipes.

Richards will be turning 26 in May and is in his 6th pro season. He has been playing in Lecavalier's shadow due to Vinny being Tampa's golden boy. He is a type of player you would build a team around, but Tampa Bay seems to be more interested building their team around Lecavalier.

I would hope that Taylor aggressively pursues something the team has been lacking since the days of 99. An elite, franchise center.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 12-11-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old
12-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
The Kings would be better off giving a lucrative offer to a younger center, such as Brad Richards, who is slated to become a restricted free agent next summer and might become a difficult for Lightning GM Jay Feaster to retain, given the contracts of Lecavalier and St. Louis, and I believe they will attempt to re-sign their #1 defenseman, Pavel Kubina, and may have a need to address between the pipes.

Im the biggest BRich fan you'll find. If the Kings could get him,well lets just say that would be our best offseason acquisition since Gretzky. Im salivating at the thought of him here. I would throw as much money needed at him to get him here.

Old
12-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Osprey

I'd love Weight, but he'll likely still be around at the trade deadline, when he might be had for a good pick. Before you suggest that he'd fetch more than that, consider previous trade deadline deals. Ron Francis fetched only a 4th-rounder last season, and he made a lot less than Weight's $5.7M. Also consider that it'd save the Blues over $1.25M to trade him at the deadline. If the Kings could get Weight for a 3rd-rounder at the trade deadline, I'd be all over it (and even throw in a late pick on top of it). I'd put Weight with Roenick, since I think they'd like that (both being Americans and past Team USA teammates) and it might get Roenick going, which the Kings need to have happen for the playoffs.

Old
12-11-2005, 06:29 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I'd love Weight, but he'll likely still be around at the trade deadline, when he might be had for a good pick. Before you suggest that he'd fetch more than that, consider previous trade deadline deals. Ron Francis fetched only a 4th-rounder last season, and he made a lot less than Weight's $5.7M. Also consider that it'd save the Blues over $1.25M to trade him at the deadline. If the Kings could get Weight for a 3rd-rounder at the trade deadline, I'd be all over it (and even throw in a late pick on top of it). I'd put Weight with Roenick, since I think they'd like that (both being Americans and past Team USA teammates) and it might get Roenick going, which the Kings need to have happen for the playoffs.
well sure, for a 3rd round pick, you can't go wrong. but do you really think that the price will be that low?

Old
12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
...something the team has been lacking since the days of 99. An elite, franchise center.
See: Allison, Jason

Old
12-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Weight should go for more than a 3rd. Francis went for only a 4th because Carolina wanted to give Francis a shot at winning the Cup and approached him to where he wanted to play (I believe he had to also waive a no-trade clause).

What will determine what Weight will go for is the demand, and I think it will be high as we approach the trade deadline in February. Philly overpaid to rent Adam Oates for a stretch run, so a team that thinks they have a shot at the Cup may take a similar risk with Weight.

I was a big fan of Doug Weight when he was with the Oilers. He was very intense and competitive, similar to a Doug Gilmour. Weight just hasn't been the same player since being dealt to St. Louis, but I definitely would take him over JR any day of the week. Amazing how JR is only a year older than Weight. The way he's been playing you'd think JR is about to hit 40.

Old
12-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
See: Allison, Jason
Oh I had him in mind, he didn't really work out now did he? He played in only one full season with the Kings. Let's just close that chapter.

Old
12-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Rob Stauber*

In other news, Phoenix won..........AGAIN!

We can't buy a break right now. Everyone in our conference keeps winning except us.

Old
12-11-2005, 06:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Philly overpaid to rent Adam Oates for a stretch run, so a team that thinks they have a shot at the Cup may take a similar risk with Weight.

Totally different. The Flyers were a desperate team. Primeau and Roenick were both out indefinetaly, Gagne was battling groin issues and the top 2 centers before trading for Oates were Jiri Dopita and Marty Murray. Unless Demetra and Conroy and Roenick go down right at the trade deadline, this isn't a good comparison

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Osprey

Keep in mind that some teams (especially some of those like Detroit and Toronto that are always big players at the trade deadline) don't have the cap space to accomodate the $1.25M that would be remaining on Weight's contract at the trade deadline (or simply don't want to spend it, for one reason or another). Regardless, though, you're right about Adam Oates, Ziggy. Philly did overpay for him, so maybe I'm off and Pleau will hold out for something better. It'll be interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
In other news, Phoenix won..........AGAIN!

We can't buy a break right now. Everyone in our conference keeps winning except us.
Every western team is making December their best month and the Kings are making it their worst. At this rate, the Kings could be in 9th place before Christmas. If that happens, I'd expect a trade around or shortly after New Year's.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-11-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old
12-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

We don't need another playmaker. We need a finisher.

12-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
That and a defenseman. Sykora and Salei! hahahaha

Old
12-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
The team (especially the 2nd line) isn't even making plays; what use would a finisher be? JR was supposed to be the 2nd line's playmaking center, but his mediocrity is a large reason why that line hasn't produced so far, IMO. I think that the players that the Kings have available for the 2nd line could finish if they were set up properly. For example, Cammalleri is a very good finisher, but how many times (at even-strength) does the puck find him when he's in good shooting position? Besides, the team will get a finisher back when Bure is healthy.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-11-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old
12-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

How about you slide Demitra down? The problem with the FCD line is that no one really has that finisher's mentality. If you put someone up there who can finish, and slide someone down, everything should even out.

Last edited by Legionnaire: 12-11-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old
12-11-2005, 10:09 PM
ILuvLA

I agree that the line up needs to be tweaked. Everyone else in our division/conference seems to be stepping up, while the Kings seem to be in slump. LA can't afford to keep giving up points. LA has a glut of forwards in the system. The issue is at what cost does a trade happen? Given what transpired with the Fedorov & Thornton trades, the values have been lower that what most people would have thought. Welcome to the "new" NHL. With that said, the Kings need another good center and a strong offensive/defenseman. I'd love to see Weight on the Kings, but I don't think that he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Old
12-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Captain Ron

At this point, if I am Taylor, I would wait to see what happens in the New Jersey saga. Obviously NJ will have to unload at least $1.5 million in salary to get Elias back on the roster. They will probably give a player (or two) away for a mid-round pick(s). They also will probably be looking to deal with a Western Conference team if at all possible. This season the Kings are one of only a few teams in the West who have the cap space to take on any mid-large size contracts. The Kings could pick up a decent forward and/or defenseman for "peanuts". Hopefully patience will prove advantageous in the "New" NHL.

Old
12-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Quattro

pfffft...Weight = Roenick 2, overpaid past-his-prime power forward

Old
12-11-2005, 10:33 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
At this point, if I am Taylor, I would wait to see what happens in the New Jersey saga. Obviously NJ will have to unload at least $1.5 million in salary to get Elias back on the roster. They will probably give a player (or two) away for a mid-round pick(s). They also will probably be looking to deal with a Western Conference team if at all possible. This season the Kings are one of only a few teams in the West who have the cap space to take on any mid-large size contracts. The Kings could pick up a decent forward and/or defenseman for "peanuts". Hopefully patience will prove advantageous in the "New" NHL.
What are your thoughts about Langenbrunner?

Closed Thread