HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2015, 08:44 AM
  #76
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,395
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He lost it on Brownlee last week. I just don't listen when he's talking ***** with local reporters anymore.
I often turn him off. He loses it on Brownlee because I get the sense he acts like he owns him in terms of on-air time because Brownlee isn't in the "biz" anymore.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 09:00 AM
  #77
McChiaricolson
Playoffs?!
 
McChiaricolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DTYEG
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,907
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi McJenkins View Post
Well he not listening to a lot of his guests is a huge problem, too busy ******* around while he's interviewing them.

Gregor has gotten to the point where he's been a certain amount successful and mildly influential, that it's sort of gone to his head, which is why he acts so self assured, despite actual people who Actually know things being on this show as guests or co-hosts.
Precisely. He had Gerry Fleming on yesterday and after Fleming had already made the point that the Condors felt fortunate not to have any 3 games in 3 days stretches, Gregor asked if they had any 3 games in the 3 day stretches...

Doesn't even listen, waits for his turn to spout off.

McChiaricolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 09:48 AM
  #78
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
Precisely. He had Gerry Fleming on yesterday and after Fleming had already made the point that the Condors felt fortunate not to have any 3 games in 3 days stretches, Gregor asked if they had any 3 games in the 3 day stretches...

Doesn't even listen, waits for his turn to spout off.
He has always done this. He has a list of questions for his guests, he then seemingly totally ignores what the guests are saying because very often a guest will make a point and then gregor will ask him the exact same thing.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 09:56 AM
  #79
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,456
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
He has always done this. He has a list of questions for his guests, he then seemingly totally ignores what the guests are saying because very often a guest will make a point and then gregor will ask him the exact same thing.
He's a lot better with non-edmonton market guys. That might just be so that he can throw it back into Edmonton fans faces though when a guy from another market backs up his opinion though.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 10:07 AM
  #80
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Gregor is pretty insufferable when he thinks he knows something and he's trying to get an informed guest to say it to support him. Like a few weeks back he was talking to one of his fitness guests and he was trying to get them to say that running was a bad exercise and cycling was bettter but all they would say is that unless you are training for a marathon 10 hours a weeks is plenty for running and cycling is less strenuous so you can do more but there was still a limit.

He does have valid opinions a lot of times and even if they're not sometimes it's interesting to hear him fight for it. I've never felt Brownlee added anything to sports reporting in Edmonton, either in the paper or on air but that's just me.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 10:15 AM
  #81
ChaoticOrange
Registered User
 
ChaoticOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
Precisely. He had Gerry Fleming on yesterday and after Fleming had already made the point that the Condors felt fortunate not to have any 3 games in 3 days stretches, Gregor asked if they had any 3 games in the 3 day stretches...

Doesn't even listen, waits for his turn to spout off.
I think it's more he doesn't adapt or change his scheduled questions regardless of what comes up in conversation.

ChaoticOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 10:28 AM
  #82
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
He has always done this. He has a list of questions for his guests, he then seemingly totally ignores what the guests are saying because very often a guest will make a point and then gregor will ask him the exact same thing.
100% this.

He has a script of questions and never goes off-script. It's a poor habit and makes him one of the worst interviewers in Edmonton sports radio history.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 11:37 AM
  #83
Homesick
Registered User
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,559
vCash: 2259
I don't mind Gregor, but I'm the type of person who doesn't dislike someone when they have a different point of view.
I dislike the college football, and NBA talk

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 11:55 AM
  #84
Psychoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,535
vCash: 500
Gregor went at it with rishaug a little the other day because rishaug said the oilers may have sent down Leon due to cap bonus issues and gregor was being such a dick about it. He was like "no rishaug. You're wrong. We just chad Chiarelli on the show"

Sometimes I can't stand gregor, guy has no business treating guests the way he does especially when he is just a radio host and nothing more

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 11:58 AM
  #85
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,456
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
Gregor went at it with rishaug a little the other day because rishaug said the oilers may have sent down Leon due to cap bonus issues and gregor was being such a dick about it. He was like "no rishaug. You're wrong. We just chad Chiarelli on the show"

Sometimes I can't stand gregor, guy has no business treating guests the way he does especially when he is just a radio host and nothing more
Gregor is usually the first to point out that you can't always take a coach/gm's word when it comes to a business decision.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 12:56 PM
  #86
hawks889
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta,
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Gregor thinks he knows it all when mact signed niktin last year I called In criticizing it saying it was too much for a 6 ,7 type defense but he went off on me saying it didn't matter how much he made because I wasn't paying his salary

hawks889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 01:41 PM
  #87
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!
 
Not Robin Brownlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks889 View Post
Gregor thinks he knows it all when mact signed niktin last year I called In criticizing it saying it was too much for a 6 ,7 type defense but he went off on me saying it didn't matter how much he made because I wasn't paying his salary
if he agreed with everything, there would be no show. If you called in just to have him rub your belly, thats your fault.

Not Robin Brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 01:42 PM
  #88
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,395
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Robin Brownlee View Post
if he agreed with everything, there would be no show. If you called in just to have him rub your belly, thats your fault.
I guess, but that's not really the point being made. It's just strange that Jason's so self assured not based on as much knowledge as he thinks he has.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 02:06 PM
  #89
Homesick
Registered User
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,559
vCash: 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi McJenkins View Post
I guess, but that's not really the point being made. It's just strange that Jason's so self assured not based on as much knowledge as he thinks he has.
I hear him agree with a lot of callers and guests. People always recall controversy and want to make a big deal out of it. If he was as big of a dick as people like to make him out to be; he wouldn't have repeat guests and out of a job. Period

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2015, 02:09 PM
  #90
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,395
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I hear him agree with a lot of callers and guests. People always recall controversy and want to make a big deal out of it. If he was as big of a dick as people like to make him out to be; he wouldn't have repeat guests and out of a job. Period
You're right, just look at Jim Rome.

And you're right, most of his calls are just people giving him "a belly rub" about how right he is on subjects.

Jason does great things in the community, but on-air he can really make it a tough listen and he's very firm on people he's decided are wrong.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 12:46 AM
  #91
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Gregor is an ass. On my commute home, I find myself listening to a lot more music because the crap Gregor spews is often not worth listening to. It is pretty funny how often he doesn't even listen to the answers of the guys he interviews. He will ask a question, do something else while the guy answers then ask a question that was already covered with what the guy just talked about.

Nielson is annoying as well with his Blue Jay crap. This is Edmonton, not Toronto, why the hell is he pumping a Toronto team? What's next a Nazem Kadri goal song?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 12:51 AM
  #92
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,282
vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Gregor is an ass. On my commute home, I find myself listening to a lot more music because the crap Gregor spews is often not worth listening to. It is pretty funny how often he doesn't even listen to the answers of the guys he interviews. He will ask a question, do something else while the guy answers then ask a question that was already covered with what the guy just talked about.

Nielson is annoying as well with his Blue Jay crap. This is Edmonton, not Toronto, why the hell is he pumping a Toronto team? What's next a Nazem Kadri goal song?
Didnt you used to play for the Leafs?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 01:03 AM
  #93
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Didnt you used to play for the Leafs?
Yes but my heart is in Edmonton.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 02:00 AM
  #94
AimsforGenji
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
I'm going to give Tencer's podcast a shot. I don't mind Nielsen and the morning hosts, but I find they can get pretty stale and quite boring. I don't mind Stauffer tbh, I don't think he's that bad but I can see why people would not like him.

I really miss Strudwick. He was my favorite.


Last edited by AimsforGenji: 10-08-2015 at 02:08 AM.
AimsforGenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 08:06 AM
  #95
Punter
Registered User
 
Punter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi McJenkins View Post
I often turn him off. He loses it on Brownlee because I get the sense he acts like he owns him in terms of on-air time because Brownlee isn't in the "biz" anymore.
I lose it on Brownlee (not that it matters, alone in my car). The guy is only stating the obvious most of the time. His droning on and on is nothing but time filler. The ask a question, answer it myself, then throw it to you routine is awful. I just turn off the radio now when he comes on.

Brownlee seems like a good person and all that but he is bad at radio.

Punter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 08:13 AM
  #96
smokersarejokers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Gregor is an ass. On my commute home, I find myself listening to a lot more music because the crap Gregor spews is often not worth listening to. It is pretty funny how often he doesn't even listen to the answers of the guys he interviews. He will ask a question, do something else while the guy answers then ask a question that was already covered with what the guy just talked about.

Nielson is annoying as well with his Blue Jay crap. This is Edmonton, not Toronto, why the hell is he pumping a Toronto team? What's next a Nazem Kadri goal song?
Love it or hate it, the Jays are Canada's team. They're in the playoffs for the first time in 22 years. It's kind of big deal.

I think you are in the minority when it comes to hating the Blue Jays talk.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 08:47 AM
  #97
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Love it or hate it, the Jays are Canada's team. They're in the playoffs for the first time in 22 years. It's kind of big deal.

I think you are in the minority when it comes to hating the Blue Jays talk.
The Blue Jays are Toronto's team. People out west get fed propaganda all their lives by TSN and Sportsnet and don't even question the brainwashing. I'd rather make my own choices.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 08:55 AM
  #98
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,395
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punter View Post
I lose it on Brownlee (not that it matters, alone in my car). The guy is only stating the obvious most of the time. His droning on and on is nothing but time filler. The ask a question, answer it myself, then throw it to you routine is awful. I just turn off the radio now when he comes on.

Brownlee seems like a good person and all that but he is bad at radio.
He's bad at Radio because he seems to only exist to be an echo chamber for how "right" Gregor is.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 08:58 AM
  #99
smokersarejokers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
The Blue Jays are Toronto's team. People out west get fed propaganda all their lives by TSN and Sportsnet and don't even question the brainwashing. I'd rather make my own choices.
Wow. People are brain washed into being Jays fans? Get over yourself.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 09:19 AM
  #100
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Wow. People are brain washed into being Jays fans? Get over yourself.
Blue Jay games are a 4 hour flight away. Do you know how many other MLB teams can be reached by a 4 hour flight or less? Probably 18 or 20. Why arbitrarily pick the Toronto team? Because your TV tells you to - they are on it all the time. Cut the cable and the Blue Jays get no more coverage than the Houston Astros. I cut my cable and now get to choose who I watch play - I love the freedom.

If you cheer for them because they are "Canada's Team" then you must also be cheering on the Flames and Canucks in the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Oilers don't make it.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.