HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-08-2015, 09:24 AM
  #101
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransJenner View Post
I'm going to give Tencer's podcast a shot. I don't mind Nielsen and the morning hosts, but I find they can get pretty stale and quite boring. I don't mind Stauffer tbh, I don't think he's that bad but I can see why people would not like him.

I really miss Strudwick. He was my favorite.
When Tencer was new at radio hosting, he was pretty good. Once he gained a little experience he developed this ridiculous arrogance - which is probably what got him fired. He believes he is always right - even when he is wrong - and will be an ass about it. Pass on his podcast, you can find much better ways to spend an hour.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 09:26 AM
  #102
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
For those starving for hockey talk, albeit not Oilers, The Pipeline Show is 100% hockey 100% of the time, twice a week, 12-months a year.

On Saturday we previewed two more WHL clubs (more than halfway done now), spoke with a scout from HP about OHL guys for the 2016 NHL Draft, chatted with local product and Blue Jackets prospect Pete Quenneville and also spoke with the top ranked player for the 2016 draft from his new home in Switzerland; Auston Matthews.

LINK
Guy, your stuff is always good. I enjoy tuning in when I can.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 09:46 AM
  #103
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
This, 10000%. I don't care about anything else except hockey and lately, 1260 has been really pissing me off with their garbage programming. At the very least, Bob Stuaffer is always talking oilers no matter what day it is, and that's why I've listened to his show all summer. HE is super pumped about the season starting and I feed off of that.


I feel lowtide has been the absolute worst this summer about talking everything but oilers. Everytime I tune into his show he introduces the fact that it will be a "football intensive show" and so I turn it off right away.
Lowetide gives way too much time to the Corsi cult. I like Alan but, the crap he puts on the air makes me not want to listen. Corsi is garbage, I don't need to hear anyone preaching its virtues.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 09:51 AM
  #104
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Blue Jay games are a 4 hour flight away. Do you know how many other MLB teams can be reached by a 4 hour flight or less? Probably 18 or 20. Why arbitrarily pick the Toronto team? Because your TV tells you to - they are on it all the time. Cut the cable and the Blue Jays get no more coverage than the Houston Astros. I cut my cable and now get to choose who I watch play - I love the freedom.

If you cheer for them because they are "Canada's Team" then you must also be cheering on the Flames and Canucks in the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Oilers don't make it.
I am brainwashed to watch the Jays? A team i've watched since the late 80s?

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 09:59 AM
  #105
DisgruntledGoat*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Lowetide gives way too much time to the Corsi cult. I like Alan but, the crap he puts on the air makes me not want to listen. Corsi is garbage, I don't need to hear anyone preaching its virtues.
I honestly don't know how anyone can listen to this guy, no matter what the subject. His rambling, dopey attempts at being funny remind me of someone's old, embarassing uncle.

I'm usually not hyper-critical of this stuff because its not that important to me. I can enjoy Stauffer or Gregor or most of the rest but that Lowetide show... Just painful. I feel bad for that Eric guy having to entertain his old man ditherings about the 70s Expos or some barbeque he owned 30 years ago (seriously).

DisgruntledGoat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 10:05 AM
  #106
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 18,903
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Why arbitrarily pick the Toronto team? Because your TV tells you to - they are on it all the time.
This is incredibly silly. Do you seriously believe this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
If you cheer for them because they are "Canada's Team" then you must also be cheering on the Flames and Canucks in the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Oilers don't make it.
This is even sillier. What a strange thing to say.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 10:12 AM
  #107
oiler4ever
Registered User
 
oiler4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: India
Posts: 2,929
vCash: 500
did i hear that right? The PM Harper will be live on TSN 1260 for the pre-game show?

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 10:24 AM
  #108
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,491
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Blue Jay games are a 4 hour flight away. Do you know how many other MLB teams can be reached by a 4 hour flight or less? Probably 18 or 20. Why arbitrarily pick the Toronto team? Because your TV tells you to - they are on it all the time. Cut the cable and the Blue Jays get no more coverage than the Houston Astros. I cut my cable and now get to choose who I watch play - I love the freedom.

If you cheer for them because they are "Canada's Team" then you must also be cheering on the Flames and Canucks in the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Oilers don't make it.
A lot of people actually do. I don't, but a lot of casual fans do.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 10:39 AM
  #109
smokersarejokers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Blue Jay games are a 4 hour flight away. Do you know how many other MLB teams can be reached by a 4 hour flight or less? Probably 18 or 20. Why arbitrarily pick the Toronto team? Because your TV tells you to - they are on it all the time. Cut the cable and the Blue Jays get no more coverage than the Houston Astros. I cut my cable and now get to choose who I watch play - I love the freedom.

If you cheer for them because they are "Canada's Team" then you must also be cheering on the Flames and Canucks in the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Oilers don't make it.
They are the only team in Canada, thus, they are Canada's team. That's what I mean. Maybe for some people it's because of TV, but what's really wrong with that? You choose to cheer for a different team, that's fine. Good for you.

I was a kid for the back to back World Series championships and that was incredible to watch. Also, maybe you're different, but I have friends and family in southern Ontario. We used to go out there every summer and usually check out a Jays game while we were out there. I never had that chance in Seattle or Denver or wherever else is closer.

If Edmonton had an MLB team, I would cheer for them, but they don't.


Last edited by smokersarejokers: 10-08-2015 at 10:47 AM.
smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 11:12 AM
  #110
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
They are the only team in Canada, thus, they are Canada's team. That's what I mean. Maybe for some people it's because of TV, but what's really wrong with that? You choose to cheer for a different team, that's fine. Good for you.

I was a kid for the back to back World Series championships and that was incredible to watch. Also, maybe you're different, but I have friends and family in southern Ontario. We used to go out there every summer and usually check out a Jays game while we were out there. I never had that chance in Seattle or Denver or wherever else is closer.

If Edmonton had an MLB team, I would cheer for them, but they don't.
Bingo! For you, being a Blue Jays fan is completely valid. If you went to games, I am 100% on board with you being a Jays fan. Nothing wrong with that.

I grew up in BC and each summer when I was young we would drive down to Seattle to see the Mariners. Same idea, they were my team because they were the team I got to see play.

The ones that have never been to an MLB game yet live thousands of km from Toronto and cheer for the Jays - those are the ones that have been influenced by their TVs. Especially those in Vancouver - they are less than a three hour drive from the Mariners yet they cheer for a Toronto team that they will never go see. Makes no sense to me other than the televised propaganda has captured them.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 11:14 AM
  #111
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: TSN 1260 & Oil Kings
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,292
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Guy, your stuff is always good. I enjoy tuning in when I can.
Thanks Norm. We've had a number of probable 2016 1st round picks on the show already in the last 5-6 weeks. Looking forward to another big season, glad to have you on board as a listener.

__________________
Listen live to The Pipeline Show or find the audio archives and our blog at: www.thepipelineshow.com
Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 11:16 AM
  #112
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: TSN 1260 & Oil Kings
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,292
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
did i hear that right? The PM Harper will be live on TSN 1260 for the pre-game show?
Not live as Dean Millard interviewed him yesterday but it will air for the first time tonight during the pre-game show. Deano tweeted a picture from the interview yesterday, it was in person and not over the phone. Whatever your politics are, should be a fun interview to hear.

Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 11:22 AM
  #113
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I am brainwashed to watch the Jays? A team i've watched since the late 80s?
They have spread their propaganda since the late 70s so, if you don't have any ties to Southern Ontario, I would says yes you probably are.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 11:30 AM
  #114
Sanchez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 279
vCash: 500

Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 12:44 PM
  #115
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
More of a comment about sports broadcasters in general - most of them have extremely inflated egos. Because they spend time around the players a lot of them think they are equal to the players and act as such.

Guy Flaming is humble and respectful but guy like Gregor, Tencer, Spector and most of the Toronto media are so full of themselves they are oftentimes unwatchable. They are parasites, making a living off the efforts of the players they are not the talent. They need to step back and lose the pomp, they just regular dudes that all too often, aren't that good at their jobs. They love to act like they are so much better than you and I, they most definitely are not.


Last edited by Ogopogo*: 10-08-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 01:05 PM
  #116
SerbianEagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Serbia
Posts: 3,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
Bingo! For you, being a Blue Jays fan is completely valid. If you went to games, I am 100% on board with you being a Jays fan. Nothing wrong with that.

I grew up in BC and each summer when I was young we would drive down to Seattle to see the Mariners. Same idea, they were my team because they were the team I got to see play.

The ones that have never been to an MLB game yet live thousands of km from Toronto and cheer for the Jays - those are the ones that have been influenced by their TVs. Especially those in Vancouver - they are less than a three hour drive from the Mariners yet they cheer for a Toronto team that they will never go see. Makes no sense to me other than the televised propaganda has captured them.
How do you know that someone who cheers for the Jays, is from Alberta, with no ties to Toronto is brainwashed? You are 100% incorrect on your statement.

First of all, it isn't the same as cheering for the Flames or other Canadian NHL teams. There are seven NHL teams in Canada, meaning that a very high % of the population is affiliated with one of those teams. So, considering you're a fan of one NHL team, you probably don't cheer for another one.

For people who live elsewhere, or are not fans of any of the seven teams, well they probably do cheer on all Canadian teams. For the simple reason of national pride.

The Jays, for a few years now are the only MLB team in Canada. Toronto is in Canada, therefore it makes total sense to cheer on a Canadian team, rather than a American one. That's just...logical.

What isn't logical is you calling people brainwashed by TV. Come on...

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 01:27 PM
  #117
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
How do you know that someone who cheers for the Jays, is from Alberta, with no ties to Toronto is brainwashed? You are 100% incorrect on your statement.

First of all, it isn't the same as cheering for the Flames or other Canadian NHL teams. There are seven NHL teams in Canada, meaning that a very high % of the population is affiliated with one of those teams. So, considering you're a fan of one NHL team, you probably don't cheer for another one.

For people who live elsewhere, or are not fans of any of the seven teams, well they probably do cheer on all Canadian teams. For the simple reason of national pride.

The Jays, for a few years now are the only MLB team in Canada. Toronto is in Canada, therefore it makes total sense to cheer on a Canadian team, rather than a American one. That's just...logical.

What isn't logical is you calling people brainwashed by TV. Come on...
I don't see that as logical at all. Why should we be forced to cheer for the "state" team. It's like the Soviets cheering for the Red Army or something like that. We must cheer - this is our country's team. Garbage. It's Toronto's team. When they start playing some of their games in Edmonton, I might consider them my home team.

There are 30 teams, choosing one because they happen to fall on the right side of a line on the map doesn't make sense to me. I relate a lot more with Seattle than I do Toronto. Hell, I have been to games in six MLB stadiums, none of which was Toronto - I would sooner cheer for one of those teams than the Blue Jays - the Blue Jays are just some team on TV, no different than the Miami Marlins or the Arizona Diamondbacks. The only difference is Canadian cable beats us over the head with hype and coverage constantly - thus the brainwashing. People cheer for teams they see on TV because....they see them on TV.


Last edited by Ogopogo*: 10-08-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 02:01 PM
  #118
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
I don't see that as logical at all. Why should we be forced to cheer for the "state" team. It's like the Soviets cheering for the Red Army or something like that. We must cheer - this is our country's team. Garbage. It's Toronto's team. When they start playing some of their games in Edmonton, I might consider them my home team.

There are 30 teams, choosing one because they happen to fall on the right side of a line on the map doesn't make sense to me. I relate a lot more with Seattle than I do Toronto. Hell, I have been to games in six MLB stadiums, none of which was Toronto - I would sooner cheer for one of those teams than the Blue Jays - the Blue Jays are just some team on TV, no different than the Miami Marlins or the Arizona Diamondbacks. The only difference is Canadian cable beats us over the head with hype and coverage constantly - thus the brainwashing. People cheer for teams they see on TV because....they see them on TV.
No one is forced. You're just butt hurt people identify teams from their country before proximity in most cases.

By your logic everyone should cheer for the Mariners in Western Canada.
Sportsnet should broadcast games by proximity. (lose a **** ton of money in the process until everyone converts to Mariner fans in the west.)

God the more I think of it the less sense you make.

What exactly is your suggested broadcast schedule?
Randomize it all so you never see the same team once a month?

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 02:29 PM
  #119
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
No one is forced. You're just butt hurt people identify teams from their country before proximity in most cases.

By your logic everyone should cheer for the Mariners in Western Canada.
Sportsnet should broadcast games by proximity. (lose a **** ton of money in the process until everyone converts to Mariner fans in the west.)

God the more I think of it the less sense you make.

What exactly is your suggested broadcast schedule?
Randomize it all so you never see the same team once a month?
Actually, it doesn't hurt me at all. I am just saying that people are largely sheep and will buy whatever their TV is selling.

My suggested broadcast schedule is MLB TV - I watch the teams I want to see and am not forced to watch the "state" team

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 02:46 PM
  #120
SerbianEagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Serbia
Posts: 3,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
I don't see that as logical at all. Why should we be forced to cheer for the "state" team. It's like the Soviets cheering for the Red Army or something like that. We must cheer - this is our country's team. Garbage. It's Toronto's team. When they start playing some of their games in Edmonton, I might consider them my home team.

There are 30 teams, choosing one because they happen to fall on the right side of a line on the map doesn't make sense to me. I relate a lot more with Seattle than I do Toronto. Hell, I have been to games in six MLB stadiums, none of which was Toronto - I would sooner cheer for one of those teams than the Blue Jays - the Blue Jays are just some team on TV, no different than the Miami Marlins or the Arizona Diamondbacks. The only difference is Canadian cable beats us over the head with hype and coverage constantly - thus the brainwashing. People cheer for teams they see on TV because....they see them on TV.
1. Nobody forced me to cheer for the Jays
2. I don't need a TV to tell me that Toronto is in Canada, thus making the Jays a Canadian team
3. I know what sheep look like as I spent a part of my life on a farm. I am not one of them.
4. You, you and more you. So cheer for whoever you want to, but quit calling those of us who cheer for the Jays brainwashed and sheep.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 04:37 PM
  #121
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
1. Nobody forced me to cheer for the Jays
2. I don't need a TV to tell me that Toronto is in Canada, thus making the Jays a Canadian team
3. I know what sheep look like as I spent a part of my life on a farm. I am not one of them.
4. You, you and more you. So cheer for whoever you want to, but quit calling those of us who cheer for the Jays brainwashed and sheep.
That is the beauty of a successful propaganda campaign - they shape your thinking and make you believe it was your idea.

To each their own.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 04:50 PM
  #122
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 18,903
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
That is the beauty of a successful propaganda campaign - they shape your thinking and make you believe it was your idea.

To each their own.
The only reason you like the Oilers is because you're forced to, because you live in Edmonton? That's the only explanation according to you.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 04:53 PM
  #123
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
The only reason you like the Oilers is because you're forced to, because you live in Edmonton? That's the only explanation according to you.
No, not at all. I became an Oilers fan when I lived in BC as a kid - the Oilers joined the NHL in 1979 and I became a fan.

I have no problem with people being fans of the local team in fact, that is best. It is good to support the locals. The Blue Jays are not even close to being local.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 04:53 PM
  #124
McDeathbyCheerios*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 17,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
That is the beauty of a successful propaganda campaign - they shape your thinking and make you believe it was your idea.

To each their own.
Wait so its wrong to support the Blue Jays because they are the only Canadian team but its okay to call Jack Michaels a bad commentator because he is American, not Canadian?

Toronto is the only team Canadian baseball fans can watch in person without needing a passport. That is local.

McDeathbyCheerios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2015, 04:58 PM
  #125
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeathbyCheerios View Post
Wait so its wrong to support the Blue Jays because they are the only Canadian team but its okay to call Jack Michaels a bad commentator because he is American, not Canadian?

It's not the fact that he is American that is the problem it is that Americans do not share the same passion, understanding, and hockey culture that Canadians share. Canadians would rather listen to Canadians talk about the Canadian game because it is more authentic. Just as having a Canadian doing NFL games would not be authentic.

The Blue Jays are just north of a line on a map. That is not particularly significant to me.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.