HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The trap

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 10:22 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
The trap

I didn't see the game against Ottawa, but last game we did a lot of trapping.

Julien has said in the past that his system would be modeled somewhat after the Sens, but he has also said that we wouldn't have the personnel for him to implement it for another year.

What I saw last game was a simple trap. Did we do this because Toronto has no transition game, or are we a trapping team now?

Anyone see the preseason games?

Old
10-14-2003, 10:31 AM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
[...] because Toronto has no transition game, or are we a trapping team now?
Both.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
Both.
Montreal will be primarily a traping team especially with a lead.
I don't care what they play as long as they win.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:37 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund

My thoughts exactly. As long as they win, I don't care what system they play.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:38 AM
GilleZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
Amen to that!!!

Old
10-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Blackshad

I prefer to watch a good game even if we lose than pay 120 bucks for a boring game that we win. I dont watch hockey to see MY TEAM WIN. I watch hockey to see my team play a good hockey game. If the results are the only thing important, you can dont watch the game and wait for the score in the news paper.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Lewis63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad
I prefer to watch a good game even if we lose than pay 120 bucks for a boring game that we win. I dont watch hockey to see MY TEAM WIN. I watch hockey to see my team play a good hockey game. If the results are the only thing important, you can dont watch the game and wait for the score in the news paper.

was the game against the leafs boring to you? I thought it was a great game by the habs. If they continue to play like this I wouldn't mind

Old
10-14-2003, 11:29 AM
mcphee

I like to watch my team play smart, winning hockey. If they are best suited to a trapping style, so be it. Don't forget that the trap, if played well can lead to good transition oppurtunities, which is exciting hockey. 2 teams playing a passive trap can be hard to watch though.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:33 AM
arsobro

Win is all

Julien is paid for win each game.

If he knows how win and the players do what he want, wtf?

Against Toronto, we had a great game.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Darz

I would love to see the habs be able to grab a lead and keep it any way they can, trap or otherwise. I've seen this team blow enough leads in recent years that getting a lead and keeping it is entertaining enough for me!!!!

Old
10-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Well, we played the trap, but the 2nd period was actually entertaining, though I can't say the same thing for the first period which was boring as hell. If we can play the trap but still have a solid offensive game, that might be nice, but I am an hockey fan before I am an Habs fans, so I always hope to see a good game, which the trap doesn't always bring. Last year's playoff with Minnesota and the Devils were quite boring, you know.

However, if it makes the Habs wins, it makes me happy..

Old
10-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I like to watch my team play smart, winning hockey. If they are best suited to a trapping style, so be it. Don't forget that the trap, if played well can lead to good transition oppurtunities, which is exciting hockey. 2 teams playing a passive trap can be hard to watch though.
I am with you 100%. The transition game is the difference between a fun hockey game and a boring hockey game. Every defensive system are roughtly the same, its the transition that change the tempo of the game, its the difference between a fun hockey game to watch (Ottawa) and a boring dump-the-puck game (NJ). Anyway, I would not mind winning a Stanley cup with boring hockey...
Another thing, even if we all wish an all offense team, we don't have the tool to do so. So forget about the great offensive team of the 70s, we are in 2003 and the game have change, for the better or the worst. We have to ajust and play a style that will permit our team to win, even if it mean a little more boring game. For my part, I find Saturday game quite fun and I am happy to see the Habs kick the Leaf butt and keep their advance in the third. Last year we would have lose the game 5-4, so I consider it an imrpovement...

Old
10-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
was the game against the leafs boring to you? I thought it was a great game by the habs. If they continue to play like this I wouldn't mind
It was a great second period, the rest was not so good.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:47 PM
vipergtsr404

Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
Another thing, even if we all wish an all offense team, we don't have the tool to do so. So forget about the great offensive team of the 70s,
okay sure we haven't got as many offensive weapons as the seventies team but that seventies team was far from all offense

Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson, Lapointe, Savard, Nyrop, defensive forwards like Gainey and others. The team was as solid as any of todays teams defensively with an ass kicking offense. thats where i wanna go and thats where we are headed IMO.

Theodore and Garon

Hainsey Komo Markov

Perezhogin, Kastitsyn, Ryder, Ward, Higgins, it started from the net and the results of the future are working there way out to the forwards it will take time but i see the foundation coming into place one piece at a time.

keeping the puck out is as important as putting it in and the team will be solid at keeping it out this year as it continues to learn how to put the puck in.

Imagine how much more effective our offense will be in three seasons when solid puck moving d men like the aforementioned three are reaching the peak of their careers. This team is gonna be smoking in the not to distant future. Be patient we are headed down the right road.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Capitano

I just want us to be competitive. I'm not asking for miracles...I have no illusions of us winning the cup this year. I just want to see us stand in there against every team. I don't mind a trap...if that's all you've got then you have to play with the cards you're dealt. If we had a team with the talent of Colorado and we played the trap, THEN I'd be upset. If you're a REAL habs fan then the trap is a welcome change! I can remember way too may 45 shots against nights...

Cap

Old
10-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Joe Maximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
It was a great second period, the rest was not so good.
Jeez... You're speaking as if the habs were an explosive offensive team before ''the system''. That's a long time ago, and by now it shouldn't dissapoint you anymore. Recently we saw a team that while not being spectacular, won against toronto. The year before we saw a team that was not spectacular AND lost. I choose the former.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:03 PM
joepaco

what is better winning the cup 3 times in 10 years (devils) with the trap or not making the playoffs in 5 years ( habs)

Old
10-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco
what is better winning the cup 3 times in 10 years (devils) with the trap or not making the playoffs in 5 years ( habs)
I'd say winning the cup 3 times in 8 years with an offensive system (Red Wings).

Old
10-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Habber

We didn't trap last year but were the games fun to watch? Hell no, because we were losing. I'm up for whatever it takes to win. I'd rather see a defensively sound game than the breakdown after breakdown and 50 shots a game nightmare of last year.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Hopefully in the next 5 yrs, the team can become full of offensive weapons through prospects and possible trades/signings. Then we could abandon such a trap style of play with the advent of scoring power. Gosh I wouldn't want to see talent like Kostitsyn, Perezhogin and Higgins wasted on defense-first hockey.

Old
10-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I'd say winning the cup 3 times in 8 years with an offensive system (Red Wings).
I agree

BUT we don't have the personnel right now to do that. When and if our prospects turn out, I fully expect to be offensively capable as well as good in our own end.

Cap

Old
10-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Garnet

Red Wings

Your right but the Wings play the Left wing lock which is really a 1,2,2, which is basically the trap. Montreal is playing a 1,2,2, and so is almost every team in the NHL.

Old
10-14-2003, 03:23 PM
tinyzombies

Not to nitpick, but it's more like a 2-3 since the winger (or whatever forward stays up high) lays back with teh two D in teh offensive zone and slows the breakout so the two backcheckers can get back into the play.

I don't think we played that system on Saturday, but I wasn't looking for it. I have it on tape and will look for it tonight hto.

Old
10-14-2003, 04:14 PM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I didn't see the game against Ottawa, but last game we did a lot of trapping.

Julien has said in the past that his system would be modeled somewhat after the Sens, but he has also said that we wouldn't have the personnel for him to implement it for another year.

What I saw last game was a simple trap. Did we do this because Toronto has no transition game, or are we a trapping team now?

Anyone see the preseason games?
What people don"t understand is that Ottawa PLAYS the trap too. They were one of the best defensive team in the game because their players (some of the best in the league) were playing a top-5 trap (I gotta give Minnesota the edge here). Anyways, Ottawa plays the trap amazingly, the diffenrence with them and the Habs is that Ottawa actually has the weapon to score 4-5 goals a game and Montreal doens't. That's why Ottawa doesn't look like a team who plays the trap. because they score a lot.

Old
10-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
Jeez... You're speaking as if the habs were an explosive offensive team before ''the system''. That's a long time ago, and by now it shouldn't dissapoint you anymore. Recently we saw a team that while not being spectacular, won against toronto. The year before we saw a team that was not spectacular AND lost. I choose the former.
I'm not disappointed. It's just that my comment is not based relative to what the team can offer. I'm one of those that appreciate a hockey game win or lose as long as a good show is put on. If I criticize, it doesn't mean that I'm disappointed, I'm just commenting on what I saw. Overall the 2nd period was a good show, but the 1st and 3rd were not by comparison.

The entertainment value of a game and the way the Habs play are two distinct concepts in my mind.

Closed Thread