HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will You Boo Comrie when he plays?

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 11:00 PM
G-Double

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Will You Boo Comrie when he plays?

Whether it be for the Oilers or another team? I personally won't i think its childish to do that, look at the patrice brisbois situation in MTL and what it took for the fans to finally shut up and realize as someone pointed out earlier, the guy isn't going to get better the more you boo him, he is only going to get worse. I feel like alot of us are jumping to conclusions that don't necessarily reflect the true situation or the true outcome of the events.

The majority, it seems, feel he is 100% done in EDM, is it becaue he hasn't directly said he wants to stay and play in EDM? Is it because he is extremely vague about his intentions, saying things such as , i can't wait to play in the nhl again? I'm not quite sure i want to take a side as many have done, and the reason i haven't posted in quite a while on anything meaningful is because there are only so many times i can stand to reply to needless bashing and needless threads about who to trade him to, why he wants to be traded, what kind of money he'll sign for, why he wants to leave, why he's a baby or why he does not want to be in EDM anymore.

Things have to be looked at through the eyes of the two parties. If Comrie really wants to stay in EDM is he gonna come out after he saw what that did to Smyth (lower contract than he could have gotten IMO) Is Lowe going to come out and say, this team needs mike Comrie, he's as important a part as there is to the EDM Oilers? No, neither of them are going to do that even if those things are both true (i'm not saying they are, so don't jump down my throat.) What i'm saying is we're looking at it from a fan prespective which when things finally go down can make some of us look like huge A-holes...i think it is important to remember that when we try and predict trades we rarelycome anywhere near an accurate proposal or idea because there are so many things that we have no way of knowing and sometimes or even comprehending from our POV as a fan.I really wish we could focus on the team that *is* playing for the Oilers right now and just put this on the back burner, i do realize that by saying that we would have to give up well over 50% of the current topics and conversations and not every thread could degenerate into a debate between the coalition led by LMHF 1 and 2 and the rest of the people who want comries head on a platter..

I think there have beeen sufficient threads and opportunities for everyone to voice their opinions, i'll say a couple of times to be on the safe side , to move on and let the events play out as they may.

Here is to a successful season and more threads that i can actually post a response to without feeling like an A-Hole when this is all said and done.

edit, damn paragraphs

Old
10-13-2003, 12:37 AM
Oilers Hockey

If he stays: no.

If he comes to Northlands in another teams jersey: Y E S

Old
10-13-2003, 07:13 AM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
If he stays: no.

If he comes to Northlands in another teams jersey: Y E S
100% agree with that. When Doug Weight came back, I gave him the appropriate standing ovation, and then continued to cheer him during the game. A lot of other people were booing him...Comrie hasn't earned the rights to be cheered at all if he comes and plays here in another jersey.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:00 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Ill be happier than hell if he comes back in an oiler uni...and would not boo him at all...however if he comes back in anything else...hes going to get the biggest booing skyreach has ever heard

Old
10-13-2003, 09:04 AM
LawnDemon

in an oilers jersey - yes. but i will give him every opportunity to win me back.

in any other jersey - YES. i'll boo Pouty Smurf until i lose my voice.

Old
10-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Oiltown16

Why boo him if he comes back to Edmonton?? Look what it did to Poti, made him play like absolute crap...goes to the Rags and scores 48 points

Old
10-13-2003, 12:35 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
If he's in an Oilers uniform, NO - and anybody else who would should expect to be wearing my sprite if your close enough!

Old
10-13-2003, 01:26 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
If he's in an Oilers uniform, NO - and anybody else who would should expect to be wearing my sprite if your close enough!
That's why they shouldn't allow pop drinking in the stands. Too many rowdies.

It's like a Chuck-e-Cheeze with 16,500 people in it.

Old
10-13-2003, 01:30 PM
OilerLord

If Comrie comes back to the Oilers, and produces...I'll be his biggest supporter.

If he comes back, and plays like crap...I'll be the loudest Boo-bird in the building.

For me it's all about results.

(P.S. ALL players that play against the Oil get booed by me. Ehether they are ex-oilers or not. My allegiance is to the team, not the player.)

Old
10-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerLord
If Comrie comes back to the Oilers, and produces...I'll be his biggest supporter.

If he comes back, and plays like crap...I'll be the loudest Boo-bird in the building.

(P.S. ALL players that play against the Oil get booed by me. Ehether they are ex-oilers or not. My allegiance is to the team, not the player.)
That's the biggest problem. How many more players are going to get booed out of town because of a holdout. We have to realize it's business and sometimes it's not the players fault. While a player is in Edmonton, the player gets no respect. The minute he's traded, Lowe is criticized for being fleeced.

10-13-2003, 01:48 PM
glimradnor

No sir, they were saying boo-urns.

Old
10-13-2003, 03:04 PM
zamboni

I won't be booing him if he returns for the Oilers. IMO, it's stupid to expect a player to preform well and boo him at the same time.

BTW, Welcome to HF, OilerLord.

For those who don't know, OL is a very intelligent, highly respected regular at Fanhome. Great to see him here.

Old
10-13-2003, 03:22 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
BTW, Welcome to HF, OilerLord.

For those who don't know, OL is a very intelligent, highly respected regular at Fanhome. Great to see him here.
He's already won us over with his avatar.

Not a booer myself. Need to save the pipes for cheering, ya know. However the price of admission, gives you the right to voice your opinion. (cleanly, please, there's kids present) If what you're doing is critiquing your entertainment, have at 'er. If you're just being an ***, be prepared to be "critiqued" by the fans around you.

Old
10-13-2003, 04:25 PM
G-Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
He's already won us over with his avatar.

Not a booer myself. Need to save the pipes for cheering, ya know. However the price of admission, gives you the right to voice your opinion. (cleanly, please, there's kids present) If what you're doing is critiquing your entertainment, have at 'er. If you're just being an ***, be prepared to be "critiqued" by the fans around you.
but are you booing because of who it is, if it was someone with a different name on the jersey would be *as* big a deal, would they get more slack, a longer leash? I think its very ignorant to boo comrie even if he leaves because we will never know exactly how things went own until someone, one of the two sides, not some fan claiming to "be in the know" comes out and says what exactly happened.

Keep in mind, Comrie is a young kid, he's my age and he's lived a life of privledge as far as i can tell. If he wants out now do you really want him to be the guy that all your hopes and dreams are on when we get to a point of being able to reach the "promised land" so to speak?
To those that will boo, imagine how you would feel if you left your hometown, basically exiled and everytime you return it is hard enough to know all these people hate you and want to see you fail, and then know that these are people who used to cheer for you and would bend over backwards for you...i'm sure it will hard on him everytime he comes back (that is if he leaves)

Old
10-13-2003, 04:47 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
but are you booing because of who it is, if it was someone with a different name on the jersey would be *as* big a deal, would they get more slack, a longer leash? I think its very ignorant to boo comrie even if he leaves because we will never know exactly how things went own until someone, one of the two sides, not some fan claiming to "be in the know" comes out and says what exactly happened.

Keep in mind, Comrie is a young kid, he's my age and he's lived a life of privledge as far as i can tell. If he wants out now do you really want him to be the guy that all your hopes and dreams are on when we get to a point of being able to reach the "promised land" so to speak?
To those that will boo, imagine how you would feel if you left your hometown, basically exiled and everytime you return it is hard enough to know all these people hate you and want to see you fail, and then know that these are people who used to cheer for you and would bend over backwards for you...i'm sure it will hard on him everytime he comes back (that is if he leaves)
I'm not booing, unless there's a darn good reason, like a cheap shot. Hence,
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Not a booer myself. Need to save the pipes for cheering, ya know.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:25 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
the coalition led by LMHF 1 and 2

I feel special now

Old
10-13-2003, 07:55 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerLord

You officially have the coolest avatat!! OMG, I LOVE THAT!

Old
10-14-2003, 09:16 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimradnor
No sir, they were saying boo-urns.
"Are you saying boo or boo-urns"

"I was saying boo-urns"

Ahoy matey indeed.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:09 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
You officially have the coolest avatat!! OMG, I LOVE THAT!
Hey OilerLord, I'll second that with an arrrrr ... on the end.

Hey IceDragoon, sorry didn't respond to your last Torque post, I was just too bummed out, when the heart got shot out of my Saturday night. About G-Double's topic here: "Not a booer myself. Need to save the pipes for cheering, ya know." pretty much sums up my sentiments too.

Plus Comrie taking one in the chops while blocking a shot, spitting out blood, and, more importantly, finishing his shift will garner my respect for sometime to come yet. He had two great years and one poor second half plagued by injury first, then inconsistency. Mike has earned some respect and if he signs and is committed to playing here I'll will cheer loudly. If, on the other hand, he wants to be traded let's make sure we get fair market value. If he has to stays in limbo for awhile so be it.

If Comrie is traded and returns in another sweater he should be judged on the quality of the game he brings to town. I hate it when local product Jarome Iginla makes the big plays to beat the Oilers but I wouldn't dream of booing him for playing great hockey. However, cheering for Mike in another sweater I'll leave to his family.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:17 AM
barto

Quote:
That's pretty much always the case, though, so we can only go on what we know (or make up).
Quote:
Excuse me if I don't cry him a river... But if I had made $8 million over the past 3 years and was 'exiled', I think I could handle it. It's really just part of the career he's chosen - there are times when a player is revered, and times when he's reviled. Comrie was a giant hero the year before last, and now he's (more-so) *reviled*. That's life - if he doesn't want to have to deal with stuff like that, then he should choose a different career.

I would boo him at first (like if his name was mentioned in the starting lineup or something), but like someone else said - if he plays like crap after all this holding out, I won't be impressed. If he plays like he did two years ago, then I won't be booing.

That's mostly why people were booing Poti for so long - he held out, made some arrogant comments while doing so, then signed (for VERY close to what the Oilers were originally offering) and then played like a steaming pile of crap.

The booing went on even after his game turned around, but by then he had become a very convenient scapegoat for the team's misfortunes (at that time).

However, Weight held out one year, then was booed (some) upon his return...but his strong play silenced the boo-birds fairly quickly as I recall.

So it's partly up to Mikey - if he does play for the Oilers again, he'd better look like he wants to be here and at least work hard (both ends) or else he'll feel (hear) the wrath of many fans.

Bart

Old
10-14-2003, 01:32 PM
G-Double

Bart, I am not asking you to cry him a river nor am i asking you to write him a letter telling him how much you love him and hope he comes backto play in his hometown where everyone worships the ground he walks on. All i'm saying is, we should just sit here and wait till he's either signed or traded because there really isn't much more to talk about and for me, i don't get to watch ANY games this year because i moved and don't have tv, so when i come here its kinda annoying to see everyone bickering about this situation which is completely out of our hands. Also, if Booing lowers someones trade value or if asking for a trade lowers someone trade value, why are we as fans expecting lowe to get a massive return on his investment (comrie) so eager to have one of the two happen.

Anyway....thats wht i'm trying to say, not so eloquently.

Old
10-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Is there anything new on the Comrie situation? Other than what's already in the press?

Old
10-14-2003, 02:21 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Is there anything new on the Comrie situation? Other than what's already in the press?
Not much. Just the normal rampant speculation. Lowe was interviewed on HNIC and he was very very tightlipped. He said he hadn't talked to Rich Winter in a few days because he was out of town. Lowe didn't give away much when pressed by Ron Mclean. Just the usual stuff about liking to have a player of that quality back on the team... discussions are ongoing. Nothing has been settled yet. That sort of thing.

Old
10-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not much. Just the normal rampant speculation. Lowe was interviewed on HNIC and he was very very tightlipped. He said he hadn't talked to Rich Winter in a few days because he was out of town. Lowe didn't give away much when pressed by Ron Mclean. Just the usual stuff about liking to have a player of that quality back on the team... discussions are ongoing. Nothing has been settled yet. That sort of thing.
Yeah, I saw that segment. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Old
10-14-2003, 05:46 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
i don't get to watch ANY games this year because i moved and don't have tv, so when i come here its kinda annoying to see everyone bickering about this situation which is completely out of our hands.
Man, that sucks. You have to find a way to see some games, or you just might go crazy.

As for all the Comrie talk, I agree that at times it is more than annoying. But most people are stressed, because nobody knows what's going on. He's an asset who's sitting and we want to win. It's all very frustrating. Maybe some people cope better if they talk about it. I've even added a few comments here and there, but I try to avoid the bickering; and all the 'Comrie trade' threads. Unless there's nothing else to read.

Closed Thread