HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Old
05-18-2017, 12:51 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
There is some truth to that Oker. But it's not just him.

No one sacks up enough to just bull rush straight at the defensemen/goalie. Now that Ovi is not a difference maker (for us) at ES, Justin and Oshie random sightings aside, we are a perimeter team.

You can tell which of our top 6 is not home grown.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

vCash: 500
I just can't get on board with trading him. He is what he is as a player and leader. He's unlikely to improve in either department at this point, but he's still the best we'll ever have probably.

It hurts as a fan to see a guy underachieving because he's not in the best shape he could be, or maybe isn't as dedicated or doesn't have the internal fire he once had.

Part of me still holds out hope that he'll mature more and he'll come into camp down 20lb, in the best shape of his life. I just don't really believe he's got the heart to do that now and that sucks as a fan to believe that about your favorite player.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:34 PM
ovikovy817

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
Backstrom had four against PIT, but one was a fluke bounce on a 5-3 PP and one was meaningless window dressing in the 6-2 blowout. He got on his horse and scored a big goal in game five, but the point is why does he not do it more often? He's shown he's capable of making those plays when he wants, but my criticism is that it needs to be his first instinct more. Too often he enters the zone and immediately drifts down the half wall looking to make a pretty pass instead of putting the defense on their heels. Perimeter play is fine if you're an elite shooting winger, but you need more from the center position than just trying to set up wingers for shots.

He's clearly a great player and no way is the loss all on his shoulders, but I think he's a symptom of the Caps problems. Sometimes you have to put aside the globetrotter stuff and just bang in a dirty goal in front of the net. Nether Backstrom or the Caps seem very interested in doing it repeatedly over a seven-game series.
If those goals doesn't count anymore, it means we swept Toronto in round 1 and Holtby had 0.00 GAA and 100SV%

ovikovy817 is offline   Reply With Quote