HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2005 draft aftermath.

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Birko19

vCash: 500
2005 draft aftermath.

I remember some of the names that were popin up during the draft so I decided to look up the players some of us wanted yet missed out on and see how they're doing so far.

Guillaume Latendresse: Besides the big splash he made during the pre-season with the Habs currently he's sitting with 26 points in 19 games playing for the Drummondville Voltigeurs of the QMJHL, it's not that bad but comparing to what some of the top leaders have produced in that league this year his numbers are not that impressive at all, in fact he's not even in the top 20, even though I'm not that impressed over his numbers so far I still think this guy could've been a better pick instead of Abdelkader.

Kendal McArdle: After a slow start this year in the WHL he finally started putting up some decent numbers, he's currently a point per game player with 25 points in 25 games, not that bad but keep in mind that the guy we drafted from the same league in 2005 (Darren Helm) has outscored McArdle with 29 points in 27 games, Helm is currently sitting in the top 10 WHL scoring (Tied for 7th) while McArdle is just barely out of the top 10. Since McArdle went one pick behind Kindl it means we only had a shot at him if we had passed on Kindl and frankly the Kindl picks looks a lot better for now.

Nicklas Bergfors: Bergfors went 4 picks after Kindl so it was either him or Kindl, I personally like the Kindl pick more but Bergfors has been solid from what I know, a kid his age putting up 10 points in 13 games for the Albany River Rats in the AHL is really solid, everytime a 19 year old kid does well in the AHL it's always a good sign, he could've been a good pick for us but I really don't mind the Kindl pick at this point ahead of him, specially when we already have small skilled forwards in the same class as Bergfors like Hudler, Filppula, and McGrath.

Ryan Stoa: Everytime you hear of a big talented forward available in a draft there's always excitment, well that's what I thought of Stoa at least, this year Stoa is playing for the Minnesota Golden Gophers of the NCAA and looking at his stats it seems like he's having a tough time, he only has 2 points (2 goals) in 12 games, I heard that he has all the tools to be a great player but has't put it together yet, well so far I'm glad the Wings did't draft him.

T.J. Hensick: This one could come back and bite the Wings in the butt, I personally was never a big fan of Hensick mainly because of his size, but the Avs drafted this kid in the 3rd round (88th overall), he's a local Michi boy and he even said he would love to be drafted by the Red Wings, sadly that did't happen and now Hensick seems like one of the top players in the NCAA, he's playing for the University of Michigan and currently tied for the 3rd place in the scoring lead with 19 points in 11 games, not sure if he's really that good or just a product of playing on a good team, does't matter which one it is, Hensick could've been a super pick if we had drafted him instead of Abdelkader, or better yet if we had drafted him ahead of Lofberg

Michael Blunden: A right winger with a big size, you gotta love it how we picked Abdelkader one pick ahead of this guy, let's see here, Abdelkader has been no better then OK in the NCAA scoring 4 points in 12 games while Blunden has been one of the best forwards in the OHL scoring 42 points in 24 games while playing on a poor line-up, he's currently sitting in the 6th spot out of the top 10 scorers in the OHL, pretty funny eh? after the Wings drafted Kindl this guy (Blunden) along with the likes of Latendresse, Hensick, Stastny and so on should've been on the Red Wing radar, but instead of one of these guys they drafted Abdelkader which I don't think is bad but Blunden at this point is quite superior to him.

Paul Stastny: Another guy drafted behind Abdelkader (2 picks after him), now Stastny is tied for the 4th NCAA lead with 18 points in 12 games, quite impressive and seems like a good steal for the Avs, this kid is another superior pick when you compare him with Abdelkader.

Dan Bertram: 9 points in 9 games for Boston College of the NCAA, not bad at all and again when you compare this pick to the Abdelkader one the Bertram one is better for now.

Andrew Cogliano: I don't remember anyone wanting this guy but I'm adding him because I'm hearing a lot of good things about him, he now has 16 points in 11 games playing for the University of Michigan, this puts him in the 5th spot of the overall NCAA leaders in points, however I'm not too bitter with this one since he was drafted 25th overall and the only way we could've had him is if we did't draft Kindl.

Overall most of the players we passed because of Kindl I don't mind at this point since Kindl is playing well and improving his game, but all the other guys we missed out on because of Abdelkader are too hard to swallow since many of them are playing well, this is the way I see it now, who knows, maybe Abdelkader might be a better player afterall, at least I hope so

Old
11-25-2005, 09:12 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Good Read, Here are some of who us Wings fans wanted Kenny to draft.

GoBoltz56
05-17-2005, 11:19 PM
1. Jordan LaVallee, F – Quebec Remparts
6’3, 210 lbs.

The large American power forward was a surprise snub at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, after putting together a very solid first season in the QMJHL, with 11 goals and 16 assists, while leading his team in hits by a wide margin. LaVallee’s 2004-05 campaign has left little doubt that he is worthy of a draft selection this year, as he led his Quebec Remparts with a very impressive 40 goals, and once again leading his team in hits. LaVallee plays a very physical game, but more often than not, he keeps it clean. He is a strong skater with good acceleration and agility, which makes him a force on the forecheck. He is also a very versatile player, not only a dominant force in the slot on the power play, but also serving as an aggressive penalty-killer. If that isn’t enough, LaVallee also has a penchant for scoring clutch goals, leading his team with eight game-winners. An excellent all-around player, who blends size, speed, skill, and physical play nearly seamlessly, there is little reason to question whether or not LaVallee will be drafted this year.

Projection: Second-line banging power forward who loves traffic and generating chances for himself; fourth to sixth round.

GP:64 G:40 A:26 PIMs:108 +28

Wow...the Wings should use their 1st rounder on him!

TinCanCommunications (aka Newsguyone)
05-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Here are some players I'd like to see the WIngs draft.

Potential first rounders:
Mikka Lehtonen - big, very skilled forward. Not a lot of speed. WIlling to use body at times. Very tenacious some games. Very docile others. Could be a Robert Lang type. Could be the next Tomas Kopecky.

Slava Trukno- Skilled forward with some edge to his game.

Mike Blunden - Huge winger with power forward potential

Second Rounder:
Danny Syrvret: Skilled defenseman
TJ Hensick: U of M scoring forward could still be around.

Third Round:
Sergei Kotsitsyn: Younger brother of the highly skilled Belarusian
Justin Mercier: Skilled forward from the USNTDP program

4th round:
Niklas Hjalmarsson: Good all around defenseman from Sweden, very underrated, IMO.
Jason Bailey: Strong, grinding winger with some offensive pop
Zac MacVoy: Ditto

5th Round:
Federik Pettersson: Pint sized Swede has all the offensive skills and a lot of heart.

Anyway, just some guys I'd draft if available.

TinCanCommunications (aka Newsguyone)
07-02-2005, 09:25 PM
At 15-20, I'd take a long look at a guy like Ryan Stoa. He's not real physical, but he's big, strong and skilled.
Up until say, February, many people debated about who on the US NTDP team was better, Stoa or Skille.
Well, Skille shot up through the ranks and is now considered top 10 material.
Stoa isn't far behind and could be a potential steal at 15-20.
Yeah, he's a center. But it's easier to convert a center to wing than vice vera. Stoa uses his size much like Lang. Not a banger. But strong on his skates with long reach, soft hands and good moves.
He doesn't have a slapper like Skille. But his wrist shot is good. But primarily, at this point, he's a playmaker. He's got very good passing skills and sees the ice well.

Others i'd look at include Setoguchi, McCardle, and Blunden..

We could use a defensive prospect, but after Jack Johnson, there is a HUGE drop off in talent on the blueline

Spitfire11 Moderator
04-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I'd like the Wings to take a defenseman with their first pick. If the lottery isn't weighted it'd be great to get Staal or Parent.

If the lottery ends up being weighted and Detroit has the 29th or 30th pick, Brendan Mikkelson would be my number one choice. Patrick Davis might be a good choice too. I wouldn't call him a powerforward but he's a winger with size.

I'm also hoping the Wings take Cal O'Reilly in the later rounds. He reminds me a lot of Datsyuk. He seems as soft as butter, but physical play doesn't get him off his game and he always seems so calm with the puck. Has a lot of nice moves, great passer and can score too.

Tom Pyatt, Cody Bass, and Josh Beaulieu are other players I'd like to see the Wings take.

Cup4Wings
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Considering we will probibly pick in the 25th-30th range.

First rounder who I would want Kenny to grab if available are:

1. RW Guillaume latendresse (most likely gone by 10th pick)

2. C Ryan O'Marra (most likely gone by 20th pick)

3. C Slava Trukhno

4. D Matt Lashoff

5. RW Michael Blunden

Cup4Wings
06-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Martin Hanzal would be a steal that late in the first. He has the potential to become a solid 1st line scoring winger in the NHL. Skating, shot and vision are his strong points. Intensity is a question mark. Big at 6'-3" 200 lbs and wont shy away when provoked.

Michael Blunden is an awsome pick for Detroit. He has everything that this organization needs. The is a big boy 6'-4" 210 lbs and will be a future Power Forward in the NHL one day. His offensive potential is still a guessing game. He could develope into a 2nd line scoring/banging PF or just another good third line banger with muscle.

Vyacheslav Buravchikov is arguablly the best offensive defenseman in the entire draft. Had an excellent U-18 tourny this year. He has excellent playmaking skills from the point and on the rush. Will he develop enough muscle to compete defensivly with the NHL forwards? Time will only tell.

zetterberg40
07-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Alex Bourret: at 5'10 hes around 209 lbs, comparisons ive heard are kinda brendan morrow like, other reports have him at 6'0, 210... great skater, exsplosive speed, great moves, when the game is on the line, he steps it up, could be the ideal guy for Z and D...

Kenndal McArdle: not trilled on a lot of reports ive read about him. Good leadership abilities. Hes a hard worker, gritty and posts decent numbers in the WHL this year, from what ive read, i see him more along the lines of a hard working 3rd liner, nothing special, kinda not worth a first round pick tho... but who knows

Niklas Bergfors: Plays wing spot, so either way we could use him. Hes swedish so hed fit in along with zettberg, holmstrom, lidstrom, franzen, and others in the system who are swedish. I like what ive read on him, tho we do need grit. I hear hes amazing in 1on1 situations, one of the best moves in the draft. Show grity from time to time, sounds like a somewhat of a good finisher, who would look sleek next to Zetterberg on the other wing. hes got a little size, 6'0, 195...

Old
11-25-2005, 01:25 PM
ginnungagap

I like Abdelkader in the 2nd round. I'm pretty sure Hensick and Stastny are a year older than Abdelkader and neither has size or a physical game. With 20/20 hindsight Blunden would've been a great choice but he was far from a sure thing at the time of the draft. Look at Stoa, he was hyped more but he's putting up the same kind of numbers as Abdelkader and was gone by Detroit's second pick anyway. I think it's once again a case of the smaller, pure skill players putting up big (and mostly meaningless) numbers before the larger kids with more pro style games catch up. The "new" NHL is of course going to be easier for small offensive players to transition to but you're still going to need some size somewhere in the line-up, especially Detroit where size and forward prospects don't often go together. Latendresse would've been a more exciting pick but I think it's pretty much accepted he'll be either boom or bust- and besides a surprisingpreseason he has more questions than answers. I've seen Abdelkader a couple times and I like what I've seen, he's kind of a jack-of-all-trades- good at everything, master of none. He looks like a pro prospect though, as close to a lock to make it to the NHL as you can get in the second round- good likelihood to be a 3rd liner, maybe 2nd liner if he develops nicely.

Old
11-25-2005, 08:13 PM
PigPen

What nobody has commented on is this emphasis on 'numbers'.

The pro scouts don't put much store by numbers so why should we? For that matter, they wouldn't go to the expense of hiring scouts if they could rely upon the 'numbers'. Does anyone think that they sit at the draft table and say that X had 76 points so we'll take him insterad of Y who only had 59 points?

Old
11-25-2005, 10:03 PM
ginnungagap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnungagap
I think it's once again a case of the smaller, pure skill players putting up big (and mostly meaningless) numbers before the larger kids with more pro style games catch up.
Hey, I agree with you Pigpen- or is it you agreeing with me. I was first.

Old
11-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
What nobody has commented on is this emphasis on 'numbers'.

The pro scouts don't put much store by numbers so why should we? For that matter, they wouldn't go to the expense of hiring scouts if they could rely upon the 'numbers'. Does anyone think that they sit at the draft table and say that X had 76 points so we'll take him insterad of Y who only had 59 points?
Well of course not but sometimes some stats in certain situations are important.

Let's assume player X is a highly talented player playing on a good team in a league like the OHL, WHL or whatever, yet for some reason this player's numbers are terrible despite being ona good team, this will make the scouts wonder why this player is not scoring, sure he's playing well but maybe he's one of those players that play well yet can't put up big numbers, there's a lot of players who are great yet cannot put up numbers.

I'll make it simple, in the NHL in order to be a top line player you must have good offesive numbers, other then that you are not a top line player period.

Old
11-26-2005, 11:41 AM
PigPen

We're both right (and Ginungap too!).
The scouts primarily look in the toolbox, but also look at how the tools are used. There are so many other things affecting their judgement such as IT, PP time, linemates, execution of other aspects of the game, interpersonal relationships, attitude, and team play.

What I'm talking about here is fans basing their judgements mainly on numbers (Tangent: Wt./Ht. are numbers too!) as opposed to repeated and disciplined observation.

While I'm here, I'm pleading that one of you OHL types will repeatedly and regularly give a disciplined report on McGrath's actual game-play. All we see here and at RWC is McGrath got xteen points today with a minus y while his team lost. I was looking today and was encouraged by the fact that he got two hooking pens. (At least he cares! I was worrying about his interest in D).

Old
11-26-2005, 03:25 PM
ginnungagap

I haven't seen McGrath yet this year and that's when he's been really tearing it up- but I did see him a couple times last season for what that's worth. My take on him then was that his skillset is definitely of pro potential but he was frustratingly uninvolved most of the time. On the powerplay especially his wrist shot and offensive instincts were showcased and were fantastic but when it was 5 on 5 he'd shy away from the corners and not fight his way through traffic or to get to the puck at all. His potential was obvious but so were the question marks about how his game would translate to the pros. Hopefully I just caught him on a couple off nights on the road but that seems pretty consistent with the printed word on him.

Old
11-26-2005, 04:57 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
We're both right (and Ginungap too!).
The scouts primarily look in the toolbox, but also look at how the tools are used. There are so many other things affecting their judgement such as IT, PP time, linemates, execution of other aspects of the game, interpersonal relationships, attitude, and team play.

What I'm talking about here is fans basing their judgements mainly on numbers (Tangent: Wt./Ht. are numbers too!) as opposed to repeated and disciplined observation.

While I'm here, I'm pleading that one of you OHL types will repeatedly and regularly give a disciplined report on McGrath's actual game-play. All we see here and at RWC is McGrath got xteen points today with a minus y while his team lost. I was looking today and was encouraged by the fact that he got two hooking pens. (At least he cares! I was worrying about his interest in D).

Ditto ... I wanna know about speed.agility.acceleration.shotpower.accuracy.rele ase.vision.hockeysense.passing etc.

Enough with stats reports.

Old
11-26-2005, 06:09 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

goboltz56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
Paul Stastny: Another guy drafted behind Abdelkader (2 picks after him), now Stastny is tied for the 4th NCAA lead with 18 points in 12 games, quite impressive and seems like a good steal for the Avs, this kid is another superior pick when you compare him with Abdelkader.
Yeah, I played against him in Juniors. I remember his skating being his weakest thing, but he always racked up points. He was a steal for the avs.

Old
12-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBoltz56
Yeah, I played against him in Juniors. I remember his skating being his weakest thing, but he always racked up points. He was a steal for the avs.
Yeah what you guys are going through with Hennsick potentialy playing for the Avs, we'd really be gripping about with Stastny potentialy heading to Motown.

Closed Thread