HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Will Rangers pick at #29 In Draft???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2005, 10:44 AM
  #1
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 5,096
vCash: 500
Who Will Rangers pick at #29 In Draft???

Ok...I just had to do it. I read so much about a"total rebuild" before the season started, gutting the roster, tanking the season to get Kessell and on and on that I wanted to remind everyone that the objective is to win now. If the Rangers are first in the East two months from now, we may not even have to worry about making this pick. As Leon Hess once said "I am getting old, I want to win now!!!"

bobbop is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 11:07 AM
  #2
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,121
vCash: 420
Igor Makarov

Thirty One is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 11:39 AM
  #3
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
We won't finish the season first in the east.

BobMarleyNYR is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 11:57 AM
  #4
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
Ok...I just had to do it. I read so much about a"total rebuild" before the season started, gutting the roster, tanking the season to get Kessell and on and on that I wanted to remind everyone that the objective is to win now. If the Rangers are first in the East two months from now, we may not even have to worry about making this pick. As Leon Hess once said "I am getting old, I want to win now!!!"
We still are in a total rebuild. Despite our early success I don't think management truely believes we are a top 2 team in the NHL as you are stating. We have several players on one year contracts. Alot of the younger players we have currently are role players and not top 2 line players. We traded established players for picks and prospects that are still developing.

Gutting the roster? Um, we did. We had something like 8+ rookies on the roster. Look at the year before this one's opening night roster and compare it to this years opening day roster.

As far as tanking the season, who said we would. It was understood that we didn't have the talent (all Hockey publications) but never was it said that we would tank a season.

If Leon Hess had built a team the right way he would not have had to wait his entire life. Having 10 years of "must win this year" kills an organization. If he would have traded established older players for picks/younger players and waited a few years he would have see them win possibly a couple in a 10 year span.

I want a Ferrari NOW!!! but that's not going to happen.

DarthSather99 is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 12:14 PM
  #5
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
the priority is to make the playoffs. now hear me the rangers DO have a chance to win the cup. they legitimately beat any team in the league. there is only one obstacle: The godly Ottawa Sens.

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 12:50 PM
  #6
Limey FK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Malta
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Limey FK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
the priority is to make the playoffs. now hear me the rangers DO have a chance to win the cup. they legitimately beat any team in the league. there is only one obstacle: The godly Ottawa Sens.
I'm sure the Detroit Redwings, Carolina Hurricanes, Philadelphia Flyers, and Nasville Predators would have a few things to say about that.

Sure on any given night it's possible we could beat them, but we're talking 7 games series and in the playoffs. It's completely different.

And that's just speaking about the teams that are doing well now . The situation will be much different come April.

Can't we just enjoy the run we're on now and worry about April later? So far this season has already been a complete success. We've established a winning attitude, had the luxery of watching one of the world's best players and watched some of our young guys really step up in contributing to the team (Lundquist, Prucha, Moore, Tyutin). So far I have absolutely nothing to complain about and do not want to mess with the direction we're headed. At the same time I'm realistic enough to know that this is a process that will take a few years. If we can be in the thick of things for the next few years, I'd be a very happy man. I'm looking for continual progression in a multi year span. This early success seems to have made people a little short-sighted.

Not to say that it's impossible we wont make a real good run in April. But really, i'm looking forward to the next few years, not just this one.

Limey FK is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 12:54 PM
  #7
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Well, there is no way we'll be better in the East than Ottawa, Philly or Carolina. Carolina has a much weaker division to play in, Ottawa are in the class by themselves and Philly has 5 games on us. So we are going to be picking at around 21. Does anyone know anything about the upcoming draft prospects?

Nemchinov13 is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 01:21 PM
  #8
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13
Well, there is no way we'll be better in the East than Ottawa, Philly or Carolina. Carolina has a much weaker division to play in, Ottawa are in the class by themselves and Philly has 5 games on us. So we are going to be picking at around 21. Does anyone know anything about the upcoming draft prospects?
I think we are just as good or at least in the ballpark as both Carolina and Philadelphia.

ECL is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 01:24 PM
  #9
Firefly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mohawk Valley
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
We've beaten the Canes and the Flyers so far, and though that doesn't automatically equal success in a playoff series, it does show we can stand and fight (AND WIN) against some of the big boys of the league.

Teams could stumble and fall, and we could rocket up the standings...we just don't know. Things are looking GOOD though.

Firefly is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 01:37 PM
  #10
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Man, it's only been 25 games and the 'patience' of some fans is already gone. The early season success has been great, but under no circumstances should this team be trading away prospects or picks in order to 'win now.' It's this kind of short sightedness that left this team a mess for 7 years. The teams playing great, which meens it should be kept intact, but that does not meen that we should morgage the future for this year. Lets just ride out the year and see where it takes us, and know that we just might be able to feild a viable team for the next 7 years after this one, if the front office keeps it's head...

xander is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 01:58 PM
  #11
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
If we DO have to pick in the 20s, I expect them to move up into the top 10 for a pick to further continue the rebuild.

ECL is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 02:13 PM
  #12
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Regardless of our success this year I'm still of the opinion that this team desperatly needs a top 10 pick. The prospect base is nice but still lacking at the top. It's a shame we don't have any extra picks this year. Rachunek is worth somthing, but I don't think he's enough to move up 15-20 spots in the first round. Maybe Rachunek, #20-#25 and this year's second for #5-#10? Just hypothetical of course, and only if there's a player that the front office really covets.

xander is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 02:24 PM
  #13
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
If we DO have to pick in the 20s, I expect them to move up into the top 10 for a pick to further continue the rebuild.
without another 1st round pick to trade...that isn't going to happen. They will sit and wait for a player to drop to them.

If we are still in the hunt for the playoffs near the deadline, I don't think we'll trade for help but I also don't think we'll purge the players on our roster with one year contracts in order to get draft picks.

DarthSather99 is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 02:45 PM
  #14
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
without another 1st round pick to trade...that isn't going to happen. They will sit and wait for a player to drop to them.

If we are still in the hunt for the playoffs near the deadline, I don't think we'll trade for help but I also don't think we'll purge the players on our roster with one year contracts in order to get draft picks.
It will. I'm sure of it.

ECL is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 02:45 PM
  #15
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
Regardless of our success this year I'm still of the opinion that this team desperatly needs a top 10 pick. The prospect base is nice but still lacking at the top. It's a shame we don't have any extra picks this year. Rachunek is worth somthing, but I don't think he's enough to move up 15-20 spots in the first round. Maybe Rachunek, #20-#25 and this year's second for #5-#10? Just hypothetical of course, and only if there's a player that the front office really covets.
We need Peter Mueller.

ECL is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 02:49 PM
  #16
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
We need talent. If you say Mueller then I'll take your word for it, I've never seen him play.

xander is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 03:00 PM
  #17
nrf83
Registered User
 
nrf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: golf course
Country: United States
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
wih their first pick in 2006 draft the NYR select from Peterbourough Petes center Jordan Staal, 6'4" 210#

nrf83 is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 03:08 PM
  #18
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
We need talent. If you say Mueller then I'll take your word for it, I've never seen him play.
I'd either want Mueller (BIGGG center with tons of scoring) or Johnson (HUGE *** defenseman but can skate like the wind and is just oozing offense).

ECL is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 03:08 PM
  #19
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83
wih their first pick in 2006 draft the NYR select from Peterbourough Petes center Jordan Staal, 6'4" 210#
I like Staal but not for a top 5 pick. Around 6-10, though.

ECL is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 03:19 PM
  #20
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
I'd either want Mueller (BIGGG center with tons of scoring) or Johnson (HUGE *** defenseman but can skate like the wind and is just oozing offense).
I saw Johnson play when the under 18 team came into lynah in mid october. I see what your saying about the potential: he moved extreemly well for someone his size (including leading a really impressive end to end rush late in the third period.) The team was overmatched so he didn't have much chance to stand out, but I was definatly impressed with his mobility and skating.

I'd still rather have a Forward, but if Johnson's on top of the ranger's board then I wouldn't complain.

xander is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 03:20 PM
  #21
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
I saw Johnson play when the under 18 team came into lynah in mid october. I see what your saying about the potential: he moved extreemly well for someone his size (including leading a really impressive end to end rush late in the third period.) The team was overmatched so he didn't have much chance to stand out, but I was definatly impressed with his mobility and skating.

I'd still rather have a Forward, but if Johnson's on top of the ranger's board then I wouldn't complain.
I actually would rate Erik over Jack. They aren't related, just share the same names. I like Erik's pro potential the most since I think the sky is the limit for him. Jack might round out to be one of THE best defenseman in the league, but I honestly think that Erik's potential is higher than any single defenseman prospect in the world right about now.

ECL is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 03:27 PM
  #22
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
What seperates Jack from everyone else is his agressiveness.

I liked what I saw from Erik but I didn't notice a mean streak. He didn't shy away from contact but he also wasn't looking to hit anyone.

Jack on the other hand revels in physical play, and that, coupled with his offensive skills, just puts him at another level, atleast in my opinion.

xander is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 03:31 PM
  #23
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
At the same time I've only seen Erik play once, against a vastly superior oponent, and I've only seen Jack on CSTV, so I'm not in a position to really compare them.


Last edited by xander: 11-25-2005 at 03:44 PM.
xander is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 03:41 PM
  #24
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
if by saying "win now", you mean trading away some youth for older players, i may have to come to your house and beat the crapolla out of you....

keep the team, maybe add a verteran IF it means we don't have to trade away our future....again.....or does the leasons learned in 97 mean nothing?


Nich is offline  
Old
11-25-2005, 04:48 PM
  #25
Bacchus
Registered User
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dickes B
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Ottawa always found their player in the 20-30 range:
Havlat #26
Volchenkov #21
Meszaros #23

Bacchus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.