HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Could Nabokov be on the block?

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Could Nabokov be on the block?

It's 7 (or is it 8?) losses in a row for San Jose right now, and Nabokov has not exactly looked stellar. With Toskela in the background, as well as other good goaltending prospects, do you think it is at all possible that the Sharks will move Nabokov?

The reasons for them potentially moving him would be:

- His play as of late has not been great. In fact, he seems to be playing quite awful from time to time.

- He is the highest paid guy on the team. Moving him would free up lots of money.

- The team is in trouble right now with all these losses.

- Expectations are higher due to their pre-lockout year.

- Some think that Toskela would play just as well as Nabokov anyways.

Old
11-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Here is a deal that might make sense:

Nabokov and Stuart to Florida for Luongo.

Nabokov is an impending UFA, but Florida gets somebody to take Luongo's place until the summer, when there will be several high caliber goalies available. And, they also get one of the better young dmen in the game for their trouble.

And, of course, San Jose gets the best goaltender in hockey.

Thoughts?

Old
11-25-2005, 12:10 PM
The HW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

Y'know... that's not a bad suggestion.

While Nabokov will be UFA at the end of this year, we can pretty much consider Luongo a UFA at the end of next year the way things are going in Florida. If you don't get any closer in convincing him to stay and you still decide not to trade him this year, a lot of value in any trade will be lost. For a team spinning its wheels, that's a big risk to take.

It would have to be an attraction to FLA to add Stuart to their blueline without losing too much short-term in nets. Long-term? Maybe Nabokov stays...

Old
11-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

My thinking exactly....

Old
11-25-2005, 12:15 PM
PantherBlood6*

Darth, I was thinking the same exact thing before this thread was started...in all these proposed Luongo deals, Florida fails to acquire a legitamate starting goaltender...and with no one in the system currently ready to take over, I don't think that's something Florida wants to do.

The deal I was thinking of was Nabokov and Hannan for Roberto...didn't Hannan and Bouwmeester play together in the olympics (and play very well?) Florida has some decent offensive skill with Van Ryn, Krajicek, and even Bouwmeester on the backline...I think Hannan would be a better fit.

I also thought this was a perfect scenerio for a three way deal as San Jose really doesn't need to acquire a #1 goalie back. Schaefer looked very good and Toskala did as well last year. They could roll the dice and just deal him for a forward or two...and thats where Vancouver or Colorado would come into the picture.

Old
11-25-2005, 12:16 PM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HW
Y'know... that's not a bad suggestion.

While Nabokov will be UFA at the end of this year, we can pretty much consider Luongo a UFA at the end of next year the way things are going in Florida. If you don't get any closer in convincing him to stay and you still decide not to trade him this year, a lot of value in any trade will be lost. For a team spinning its wheels, that's a big risk to take.

It would have to be an attraction to FLA to add Stuart to their blueline without losing too much short-term in nets. Long-term? Maybe Nabokov stays...
I didn't know about him being a UFA -- if thats the case -- Florida would have to be able to come to an agreement on a long-term deal -- which means no trade would take place before January.

Old
11-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKF37
Darth, I was thinking the same exact thing before this thread was started...in all these proposed Luongo deals, Florida fails to acquire a legitamate starting goaltender...and with no one in the system currently ready to take over, I don't think that's something Florida wants to do.

The deal I was thinking of was Nabokov and Hannan for Roberto...didn't Hannan and Bouwmeester play together in the olympics (and play very well?) Florida has some decent offensive skill with Van Ryn, Krajicek, and even Bouwmeester on the backline...I think Hannan would be a better fit.

I also thought this was a perfect scenerio for a three way deal as San Jose really doesn't need to acquire a #1 goalie back. Schaefer looked very good and Toskala did as well last year. They could roll the dice and just deal him for a forward or two...and thats where Vancouver or Colorado would come into the picture.
All of this makes perfect sense to me.

Old
11-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

Nabokov is an impending UFA, but Florida gets somebody to take Luongo's place until the summer, when there will be several high caliber goalies available. And, they also get one of the better young dmen in the game for their trouble.

And, of course, San Jose gets the best goaltender in hockey.

Thoughts?
That's an idea I've entertained in my head the past week or so. Hate the prospect of Stuart being dealt but to get Luongo, I can't see Keenan not demanding him if he was to trade Berto.

The one problem...the Sharks desparately need to get some experience back on the blueline if they were to deal Stuart (since they are already lacking veteran presence on the blueline to begin with). Van Ryan would be ideal (with other assests added from SJ side) but I don't think thats likely. Krajicek is intriguing but again its experience the Sharks lack. Hill looks to be the most likely solution as much as I hate to admit it. Doesn't hurt that its been said Keenan has be looking to move him.