HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

janne niinimaa

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Omniscient Gadfly

vCash: 500
janne niinimaa

i've had a chance to watch a lot of janne with the oilers. he was an unheralded d-man, logging tonnes of minutes in virtually every situation. i'm wondering what isles fans think about his new situation. with aucoin, johnnson, and hamrlik all reliable players, how is stirling going to allott scoring (pp) minutes. i noticed from the first game's box score that aucoin led the defense in pp minutes. will this trend continue? will janne be given an opportunity to play an offensive role, or will scoring be more by committee? insights based on what you've read in paper articles, seen in exhibition games, heard on radio/tv, etc. would be appreciated. thanks.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:13 AM
4CUPZ

vCash:
What The Hell Kind Of Look Is Janne Going For? Geez What A Mess... When Did Jim Brown Give Him His Hat?

Old
10-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Le Golie

I've been dissapointed with Janne so far. I'm all for giving him a chance and I haven't given up on him by any means, but he has played poorly.

In the playoffs against Ottawa he was playing injured at it showed, he took several dumb and poorly timed penalties.

I know he came here with a reputation of being defensively solid with great puck moving skills. I know he earned that reputation in Edmonton and I really hope he can show it here with the Islanders, but I'm not seeing it yet.

In my opinion he has been the 4th most valuable d-man on the team, if he wants more minutes he will need to earn them and that might be difficult with Hamrlik, Aucoin and Jonson ahead of him.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:40 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
I've been dissapointed with Janne so far. I'm all for giving him a chance and I haven't given up on him by any means, but he has played poorly.
He did come here with injuries last year and was playing hurt at the end so I'm not sure what his best game looks like.

What I did see last season was someone who was getting caught out of position and taking bad penalties.

I was hoping for more because I only seem to notice him when he makes mistakes, not plays. He had a nice goal coming in from the point against the Devils and hit Mapletoft for a deflection goal in first game against Edmonton. After that he seemed to act like most of the defenders and just throw it at the net like he had no time.

Old
10-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

I'm disappointed he has not handled the puck at all, really.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Sorry, I'm lost here. People are acknowledging up front that Janne was injured when he came to NYI last season. Additionally, he arrived late in the season to a new team in a new town, trying to fit into a new system where the players had already apparently tuned out the coach and mutiny was underway. He played a handful of games under those conditions. He played his first game of this season Thursday.

And people are disappointed?

Old
10-11-2003, 05:37 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

i was more/less disgusted that, in a game where the isles didnt dictate flow, there best puck-moving dman saw absolutely no role moving the puck up ice. if this continues, i question why we got a great player we plan on not using

Old
10-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Niinimaa

was excellent last nite vs Buffalo

Old
10-12-2003, 12:18 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

He was OK. Keep in mind this is from a person who has seen him play about 100 times. He can play much better.

Aucoin was our most outstanding dman o-wise. He recognized last night BUffalo wasnt communicating well and he dove to the net several times. Very smart.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Totally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
He was OK. Keep in mind this is from a person who has seen him play about 100 times. He can play much better.

Aucoin was our most outstanding dman o-wise. He recognized last night BUffalo wasnt communicating well and he dove to the net several times. Very smart.
disagree, i thought Niinnimaa was great last nite

Old
10-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

I was comparing Niinimaa against what I feel his potential was. He played play a top four dman last night for sure... but he CAN be MUCH better

Old
10-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

vs. thrashers he played great. that 1 turnover was just bad luck. the guy was in the right place at the right time....impossible to protect the puck.

offensive zone he played good. i think hes still getting used to the other players, esp. on the pp. for now he seems content to pass the puck the the sideboards to yashin... or just dump it in

Closed Thread