HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookies Rotation???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2003, 11:27 AM
  #1
DiPietro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DiPietro's Island, that is Guarded by Godard.
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Rookies Rotation???

Letís figure this out guys
How Stirling will rotate his 4 rookies and what will happen when Wienhandle comes back. I donít really see Hunter getting much playing time with this kind of rotation. He played Godard against team that is not that tough, that shows that he wants to have Godard in line-up almost every game, and that makes sense to me. So that leaves Bergenheim, Papineau and Hunter being rotated every other game, and the bad thing is, we canít send them down. What do you guys think will end up happening? Will someone get traded, or theyíll keep doing this rotation?

DiPietro is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 11:33 AM
  #2
Tom Liodice
Registered User
 
Tom Liodice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,296
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiPietro
Letís figure this out guys
How Stirling will rotate his 4 rookies and what will happen when Wienhandle comes back. I donít really see Hunter getting much playing time with this kind of rotation. He played Godard against team that is not that tough, that shows that he wants to have Godard in line-up almost every game, and that makes sense to me. So that leaves Bergenheim, Papineau and Hunter being rotated every other game, and the bad thing is, we canít send them down. What do you guys think will end up happening? Will someone get traded, or theyíll keep doing this rotation?
With the situation the Islanders are in now, the only possible move I can see Milbury doing is sending Bergenheim back to Finland for the rest of the year. It would make no point in having all of these rookies that you can't send down in the lineup and not playing them every game. Milbury can take his time with Bergenheim as he's still very very young. IMO, it's the only move that makes sense.

-TL

Tom Liodice is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 12:00 PM
  #3
DiPietro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DiPietro's Island, that is Guarded by Godard.
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
With the situation the Islanders are in now, the only possible move I can see Milbury doing is sending Bergenheim back to Finland for the rest of the year. It would make no point in having all of these rookies that you can't send down in the lineup and not playing them every game. Milbury can take his time with Bergenheim as he's still very very young. IMO, it's the only move that makes sense.

-TL
Yeah, thats about the only option we got so far, because theres no sense of keeping all of them here.

DiPietro is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 02:25 PM
  #4
isles25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: new york
Country: United States
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
since he is signed,do the isles have to pay him if he returns to finland?

isles25 is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 03:53 PM
  #5
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28,107
vCash: 500
I tend to think that Tom is correct. Look at it this way: let's suppose this rookie rotation played out all season. Not even putting Weinhandl into the mix, Hunter, Papineau and Bergenheim would each dress for 1/3 of the games.

That's less than 28 games each!

No one can convince me that such little icetime is going to benefit an 18 y/o hockey player.

Granted, injuries among forwards will open up other playing opportunities, but you get the point.

Other options:
- Weinhandl stays put in Bridgeport upon his return.
- A trade is made.

This will all play itself out, based on what happens on the ice.

Trottier is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 05:05 AM
  #6
NYIsles1*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I tend to think that Tom is correct. Look at it this way: let's suppose this rookie rotation played out all season. Not even putting Weinhandl into the mix, Hunter, Papineau and Bergenheim would each dress for 1/3 of the games.

That's less than 28 games each!

No one can convince me that such little icetime is going to benefit an 18 y/o hockey player.

Granted, injuries among forwards will open up other playing opportunities, but you get the point.

Other options:
- Weinhandl stays put in Bridgeport upon his return.
- A trade is made.

This will all play itself out, based on what happens on the ice.
Tom and Trotts, your both right and I agree.

Somewhere in this Stirling's plan to have a veteran from Bridgeport play as a 13th forward never seemed to happen, unless Hunter or Papineau is considered to be that player.

But let's assume that the Isles knew this all along because they should. They decided to keep Bergenheim anyway knowing they would have this specific problem so there must be a plan and I cannot see them exposing these players to waivers or making a deal because not too many trades happen this early in the season and everyone wants to cut payroll.

At best, a potential trade is waiting to happen or did not happen and now they have to consider the options.

We do not know all the terms in Bergenheim's contract but on the surface it would be seem to be easy to send Bergenheim back to Jokerit, but that has not happened. For now they have ten games played (by Bergenheim, not the Isles?) to see where he goes next.

Based on his last season in Finland he was a healthy scratch a lot and did not see many minutes. Is it better for him at age nineteen to play infrequently in the NHL or the FNL?

There are things that can happen and will as was pointed out above: Injures, whoever plays best....ect.

I'm sure we could see the two-week conditioning stints for Hunter at some point or Godard sits a game or two. It's possible Bergenheim can play in the WJC.

The good news is there will be opportunities and the veterans here will be pushed. I think for now Weinhandl just does not have a spot here.

NYIsles1* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.