HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Defensemen Minutes.

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 07:23 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Defensemen Minutes.

Kind of interesting to see how the minutes shook out in the first two games of the season. For reference, here's what the minutes and +/- looked like last season (didn't include traded players):

Brewer: 24.5mins, -11
Staios: 22.1mins, +13
Smith: 21.4mins, +5
Semenov: 19.4mins, -7
Cross: 17.5mins, +3
Bergeron: 16.3mins, +2
Ferguson: 12.1mins, +11

That looks about right actually. I'd say the breakdown in minutes here (Cross' numbers are Edmonton only) is about what one might expect in terms of how the minutes will be given out.

Here's the actual numbers this season:

Brewer: 23.52mins, -1
Staios: 21.59mins, -2
Cross: 20.06mins, -2
Bergeron: 19.37mins, +2
Smith: 19.08mins, -1
Ferguson: 14.52mins, +2

1. Brewer and Staios are about where they were last season.
2. Smith is playing 2.5 minutes less per night, but no big deal, he may have missed a few shifts after that hit the other night.
3. Semenov hasn't played yet, so that explains his situation.
4. Cross is up 2.5 minutes, which makes sense since MacT loves veterans.
5. Bergeron is up 3 minutes a night, but it looks good so far; still high risk/high reward, but for MacT to give 20 minutes a night to a guy like Bergeron is pretty progressive.
6. Ferguson is up way over 2 minutes a night, which probably will be reduced over the long term.

No outrageous plus minus numbers, so the big stories on the backline are Bergeron's 19+ minutes a night and Semenov's punishment.

They've played way better than I thought they would.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:13 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Another good post by lowetide.

Basically, MAB has taken over for Semi; I haven't seen that he's contributed that much to the PP, and he's no better defensively. I just don't get it. His breakout passes are to die for, but Semi's much more solid, generally speaking.

I just hope this doesn't set the big guy back.

I find the reduction in Smith's ice time interesting too, if it continues.

I like what Cross brings to the team - "wily veteran" status + good size, but I think he's getting too much ice time.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Big T

Mab

I'm sure Mac T is only hoping to light a fire under Semenov's but by sending him upstairs. let's hope it works.

As for Bergeron, I agree his break out passes are to die for. This is really going to help the Oilers over an entire season. I really believe the reason we struggle offensively is not from a lack of skill, but the lack of more puck moving defensemen.

We saddle all our offensive players with the need to create offense themselves with little help from the blue line. Guys like MAB and hopefully another smart defenseman like a Redden ( I know, not going to happen) would dramatically improve the Oil.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:35 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
I would bench Cross for Semenov anyday

Old
10-13-2003, 06:40 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life
I would bench Cross for Semenov anyday
Brewer must play much better. Bottom line. He's paid like a top d-man, gets the minutes of a top d-man. He MUST break out this year and be great at both ends for the team to succeed.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Brewer must play much better. Bottom line. He's paid like a top d-man, gets the minutes of a top d-man. He MUST break out this year and be great at both ends for the team to succeed.
Agreed - his first two games weren't nearly good enough. I'm not going to get excited because young Dmen with the pressure he has should be expected to have some ups and downs - I have faith he'll come through. I don't like seeing Cross get so much ice time though. I know that MacT loves veterans - but C. C. just doesn't bring anything more to the table then what Ferguson does excpet size. I think so far our best pairing has been Bergeron and Fergy.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Agreed - his first two games weren't nearly good enough. I'm not going to get excited because young Dmen with the pressure he has should be expected to have some ups and downs - I have faith he'll come through. I don't like seeing Cross get so much ice time though. I know that MacT loves veterans - but C. C. just doesn't bring anything more to the table then what Ferguson does excpet size. I think so far our best pairing has been Bergeron and Fergy.

Brewer does need to step up, but your right it is only two games into the season. He'll come around.

I agree with assessment of Cross. Looking at him play sure doesn't inspire any confidence. But he does seem to be awfully effective over a season. He lead NYR in +/- last year before the trade by a wide margin and did very well in TO as well. I think he looks brutal out there but His numbers don't add up.

Maybe we need igor to analyze the situation. He seems to be awfully good at coming up with stats.

Closed Thread