HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Re-Brand of the Avalanche | Part 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2015, 10:28 AM
  #26
IceRat
#BallsOutTheDoor
 
IceRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
The only thing I find off with the new 3rds are the white shoulders. IMO the shoulders should've been burgundy with a white border, like in the sleeves. This all presuming Avs will be wearing a dark helmet with the 3rds. If they're going with white helmets then yeah I guess I can understand the huge white spot in the shoulders.

TLDR; I'd like to see a photoshop with burgundy shoulders with a white border
the white shoulders are snow capped shoulders

the jersey looks great

only thing that would have made it better IMO (as I have said before) would be to have the current primary logo patch on both shoulders

IceRat is online now  
Old
09-16-2015, 10:35 AM
  #27
FoppaForsberg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
I might be alone, but I HATE having the primary logo on the shoulders of alternate jerseys. Just looks off to me

FoppaForsberg* is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 12:33 PM
  #28
Miri
Lavinengefahr!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I said it in one of the past threads to negative reviews, but I welcome the Avs stepping away from that logo. It is a relic of the 90s and it is time to put it away for a while. I think they can come back to it at some point, but right now I think they need to simplify the look and create a new identity.
There was same line of thinking behind Anaheim ditching the Mighty Ducks logo and look what is returning now with their third jersey? Cause its about zillion times better logo than webbed foot and people are slowly starting to realize that.

What Avs need to do is stick to what they already are, not dilly-dallying around like Vancouver. That identity you talk about is built over decades, its not created overnight by simply replacing one design for another, cause the last one is not trendy enough right now.

For comparison Blackhawks logo isnt any less busy than Avs one, with all the feathers and tiny details, yet i dont see them trying to "simplify" it. Design-wise its clearly not in the same echelon of simple and timeless designs like Montreal, Flyers, Whalers, Nordiques, Leafs ones etc...yet by majority it is considered equally classic as the rest...cause it was allowed to become one and was not ditched the moment someone thought "thats sooo 50s"....I suggest to take the same approach in Avs case.

That said, the third jersey is here to stay, even if i personally dont like it that much, i have to deal with it. I still reserve my final judgement after i see the full kit with pants and helmets (will those be white like Team USA?) and in action on ice. Perhaps it will look better that way... Bottom line, as long as this is kept as third jersey design and its not some first step to total refranchising, i can live with it.

Miri is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 12:36 PM
  #29
Miri
Lavinengefahr!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bowhunt View Post
I am not a fan of the new logo at all. the Avs A is what built this team and it should remain primary. the Triangle c looks like a target on a shooting range IMHO.
To me it looks like something related to Free Masons - that Eye of Providence or whatever you call it.

Miri is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 12:41 PM
  #30
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miri View Post
There was same line of thinking behind Anaheim ditching the Mighty Ducks logo and look what is returning now with their third jersey? Cause its about zillion times better logo than webbed foot and people are slowly starting to realize that.

What Avs need to do is stick to what they already are, not dilly-dallying around like Vancouver. That identity you talk about is built over decades, its not created overnight by simply replacing one design for another, cause the last one is not trendy enough right now.

For comparison Blackhawks logo isnt any less busy than Avs one, with all the feathers and tiny details, yet i dont see them trying to "simplify" it. Design-wise its clearly not in the same echelon of simple and timeless designs like Montreal, Flyers, Whalers, Nordiques, Leafs ones etc...yet by majority it is considered equally classic as the rest...cause it was allowed to become one and was not ditched the moment someone thought "thats sooo 50s"....I suggest to take the same approach in Avs case.

That said, the third jersey is here to stay, even if i personally dont like it that much, i have to deal with it. I still reserve my final judgement after i see the full kit with pants and helmets (will those be white like Team USA?) and in action on ice. Perhaps it will look better that way... Bottom line, as long as this is kept as third jersey design and its not some first step to total refranchising, i can live with it.
How many of the 'timeless' logos are ones that originated in the 90s?

To me it isn't that the A is busy, it is just born of that 90s style and designs and preferences are moving away from that. A cleaner and more 'timeless' look will sell better and age better than the current A. I'm all for paying homage to the A logo and using it in a throwback manner... I just think it is time for a split.

One of the best teams to take a cue from would be the Jets... it is a new logo that is clean and modern, while being one that will age very well. The C logo isn't perfect from that standpoint by any means, but IMO, it is a step in the right direction.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 01:05 PM
  #31
Miri
Lavinengefahr!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
How many of the 'timeless' logos are ones that originated in the 90s?

To me it isn't that the A is busy, it is just born of that 90s style and designs and preferences are moving away from that. A cleaner and more 'timeless' look will sell better and age better than the current A. I'm all for paying homage to the A logo and using it in a throwback manner... I just think it is time for a split.

One of the best teams to take a cue from would be the Jets... it is a new logo that is clean and modern, while being one that will age very well. The C logo isn't perfect from that standpoint by any means, but IMO, it is a step in the right direction.
Thats exactly my problem with your line of thinking. You judge purely on the date the logo was created, regardless of the fact the logo is good or not. And "A" is actually great logo and if Avs stick to it, it may actually become classic one day the same way Blackhawks one became.

BTW, Anaheim returning partially to their old logo is a clear sign that there is no move away from 90s style you talk about. There is only move away from **** designs and we can argue that 90s were especially bit prone to those, but thats not the case of Anaheim nor Avs logos...these are very well made and IMO better than what Winnipeg have. I am certainly not a fan of a "fighter plane over the maple leaf" idea (this particular feat to me its actually opposite of "clean") and in no way it is in the same class as the Flyers one for example (being similarly themed).

Miri is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 01:12 PM
  #32
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miri View Post
Thats exactly my problem with your line of thinking. You judge purely on the date the logo was created, regardless of the fact the logo is good or not. And "A" is actually great logo and if Avs stick to it, it may actually become classic one day the same way Blackhawks one became.

BTW, Anaheim returning partially to their old logo is a clear sign that there is no move away from 90s style you talk about. There is only move away from **** designs and we can argue that 90s were especially bit prone to those, but thats not the case of Anaheim nor Avs logos...these are very well made and IMO better than what Winnipeg have. I am certainly not a fan of a "fighter plane over the maple leaf" idea (this particular feat to me its actually opposite of "clean") and in no way it is in the same class as the Flyers one for example (being similarly themed).
My line of thinking isn't 90s = bad, but that the 90s had a tendency to over do their designs with aggressiveness, swooping lines, colors, fonts, etc and the vast majority of designs from that era could use some simplification. Pretty much every team that changed their design in the 90s has modified and simplified their logos since that time. IMO the Avs logo has a distinct 90s feel to it and it feels dated, not timeless. Big difference there to me.

Anaheim 'returning' to the old logo is an homage. Not a full scale return. I would welcome the Avs doing that in the future if they switched logos.

The Preds are probably the best example of a design born in the 90s working today... they did clean it up in ~2011 though.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 01:20 PM
  #33
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills
 
madman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steamboat Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
I think the "A" is an exception of its time, not an example. I still think it's clean and sure as heck is original. For being a 90s logo, it's not overly busy or cartoony. I can see how the steel blue is considered a 90s color, but it's also unique to the team.

madman is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 01:30 PM
  #34
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,927
vCash: 844
They're still the same team. The logo hasn't changed (yet..future obviously can't be commented on).

It's an ALTERNATE jersey, and many (note, I didn't say "all") alternate jerseys use an ALTERNATE LOGO.

I personally am liking what we've seen more and more each day, and if they ever did decide to move away from the "A" we have now, it won't be gone forever, it'll surely become a "Retro" logo very soon.

RockLobster is online now  
Old
09-16-2015, 01:56 PM
  #35
tigervixxxen
Moderator
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 47,399
vCash: 166
I'm in the middle here. I can see the 90s are going to be cool on 10 years just like the 80s are now. We are a 90s born team, nothing will change that and should be embraced. But a clean up wouldn't be terrible. Like I said just remove the oval, will freshen it up and won't change the history or branding. You don't want to ditch your brand, especially one that has been successful. The third jersey is a welcome refreshing thing though.

tigervixxxen is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 02:15 PM
  #36
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,089
vCash: 500
Regardless of the fact that the Stars' Blackhawks ripoff jersey looks nice, I'd still welcome the Stars old logo back with open arms. Now they have a stupid toilet seat. For me, things can have a 90's throwback charm. That's what we'd be giving up in the A logo, even if many of us wouldn't mind that.

UncleRisto is online now  
Old
09-16-2015, 02:22 PM
  #37
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I'm in the middle here. I can see the 90s are going to be cool on 10 years just like the 80s are now. We are a 90s born team, nothing will change that and should be embraced. But a clean up wouldn't be terrible. Like I said just remove the oval, will freshen it up and won't change the history or branding. You don't want to ditch your brand, especially one that has been successful. The third jersey is a welcome refreshing thing though.
The oval is there to keep it in balance. Removing it would look weird IMO.


I wouldn't mind them doing an updated version of the rockies logo. I think they should have cleaned this up as opposed to the triangle that they did.

I think the C logo looks better smaller in the mountains.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 02:30 PM
  #38
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
The oval is there to keep it in balance. Removing it would look weird IMO.
Truth be told.

Removing the oval would require making the A symmetrical. Right now it's... Asymmetrical.

UncleRisto is online now  
Old
09-16-2015, 02:35 PM
  #39
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills
 
madman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steamboat Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Truth be told.

Removing the oval would require making the A symmetrical. Right now it's... Asymmetrical.
I love the A but strongly dislike it without the oval.

madman is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 02:38 PM
  #40
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I love the A but strongly dislike it without the oval.
I very much agree if removing the oval was the only change to the logo. If they somehow streamlined the whole concept I could probably live with it. Not that I'd really want them to do that.

UncleRisto is online now  
Old
09-16-2015, 02:50 PM
  #41
2bowhunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
vCash: 545
I agree with madman about the A and oval. If refreshing our identity means doing away with the old I am against it. Just like the footprint if change means forgetting what you are and where you came from what since is an identity?

BTW a couple of my kids and their friends saw the new logo without reading the post and asked if Calgary is trying to copy us with a mountain. they almost got sick when I told them it was new for the Avs.

2bowhunt is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 03:05 PM
  #42
Miri
Lavinengefahr!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
My line of thinking isn't 90s = bad, but that the 90s had a tendency to over do their designs with aggressiveness, swooping lines, colors, fonts, etc and the vast majority of designs from that era could use some simplification. Pretty much every team that changed their design in the 90s has modified and simplified their logos since that time. IMO the Avs logo has a distinct 90s feel to it and it feels dated, not timeless. Big difference there to me.

Anaheim 'returning' to the old logo is an homage. Not a full scale return. I would welcome the Avs doing that in the future if they switched logos.

The Preds are probably the best example of a design born in the 90s working today... they did clean it up in ~2011 though.
So you think Avs logo has dated 90s feel, but cleaned-up Preds logo has not? I think that original Preds logo was nothing to write home about, it needed said clean-up like a salt - and its only all right now, when it cant be really made any simpler without complete revamp. Same goes for the Avs logo, its hard to take away something from it - the difference is, no 2011 clean-up was needed to get there.

So how you can use Preds logo as an example of a acceptable 90s design is beyond me.

Lets take one of the logos we would agree on being simple and timeless - i think Habs logo could work here and we would both agree on it. Now tell me, is this cleaned-up Preds logo (which in your opinion works even today) closer in "looks" to Habs or Avs logo? To me, its definitely Avs - if we happen to agree on that, explain please why Preds logo gets a pass from you and Avs one does not? If we dont, then i guess there is no point in further discussion, cause we are worlds apart on this matter and we will just have to agree to disagree.

On topic of Anaheim, the Mighty Ducks logo made its way from secondary patch logo to a main logo on a third sweater. Personally i see a shift there and i would be not surprised if that shift continued further with eventual complete return to that logo on main sweaters. With only colors to stay. We shall see about that, but i would not discount that as possibility.

Miri is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 03:07 PM
  #43
Miri
Lavinengefahr!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bowhunt View Post
I agree with madman about the A and oval. If refreshing our identity means doing away with the old I am against it. Just like the footprint if change means forgetting what you are and where you came from what since is an identity?

BTW a couple of my kids and their friends saw the new logo without reading the post and asked if Calgary is trying to copy us with a mountain. they almost got sick when I told them it was new for the Avs.
Exactly my point.

Miri is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 03:13 PM
  #44
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,927
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bowhunt View Post
I agree with madman about the A and oval. If refreshing our identity means doing away with the old I am against it. Just like the footprint if change means forgetting what you are and where you came from what since is an identity?

BTW a couple of my kids and their friends saw the new logo without reading the post and asked if Calgary is trying to copy us with a mountain. they almost got sick when I told them it was new for the Avs.
They're not losing their "identity".

The current incarnation of the Primary Avalanche logo is not something sacred either (in my eyes). I do not believe it HAS to be "updated" or "refreshed" (or whatever incarnation of the word people want to use), but if they did, I wouldn't be upset either. I wouldn't act as if my connection to the team has been severed and nothing will be right with the world again.

Again, what we've seen specifically for this year, is a new Secondary Logo, meant to bring about PRIDE for the state the team hails from. The plain truth (despite some not wanting to hear it), is that a vast majority of people (this is just my opinion) had NO IDEA why the Avs' Secondary Logo was a footprint.

IF the team decided to go through with a complete Primary Logo makeover, my allegiance to them wouldn't change. They're still the Colorado Avalanche.

__________________

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is online now  
Old
09-16-2015, 03:18 PM
  #45
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miri View Post
So you think Avs logo has dated 90s feel, but cleaned-up Preds logo has not? I think that original Preds logo was nothing to write home about, it needed said clean-up like a salt - and its only all right now, when it cant be really made any simpler without complete revamp. Same goes for the Avs logo, its hard to take away something from it - the difference is, no 2011 clean-up was needed to get there.

So how you can use Preds logo as an example of a acceptable 90s design is beyond me.

Lets take one of the logos we would agree on being simple and timeless - i think Habs logo could work here and we would both agree on it. Now tell me, is this cleaned-up Preds logo (which in your opinion works even today) closer in "looks" to Habs or Avs logo? To me, its definitely Avs - if we happen to agree on that, explain please why Preds logo gets a pass from you and Avs one does not? If we dont, then i guess there is no point in further discussion, cause we are worlds apart on this matter and we will just have to agree to disagree.

On topic of Anaheim, the Mighty Ducks logo made its way from secondary patch logo to a main logo on a third sweater. Personally i see a shift there and i would be not surprised if that shift continued further with eventual complete return to that logo on main sweaters. With only colors to stay. We shall see about that, but i would not discount that as possibility.
I said the Preds design is 'working' today, not that it is great or even touches the top of the league. The 2011 refresh cleaned it up a lot.




It went down to two colors (instead of 4) and the design was simplified a good bit (less little details all over). It went from something that was busy and an eyesore, to something inoffensive.

We simply won't agree on the Avs logo... it is obvious that you are opposed to a change, and I welcome the change. Comparing the Avs to the Habs' logo is a pretty bad comparison. I could compare it to the Islanders' fisherman and have a similar point (wavy/flowing lines and lots of use of contrasting colors) to the letters being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
The oval is there to keep it in balance. Removing it would look weird IMO.
The puck and swoop would have to be resized when removing the oval. I think something could be worked around the current concept, but it still wouldn't be great. Tinkering with the new 3rds logo would have better results IMO.


Last edited by henchman24: 09-16-2015 at 03:25 PM.
henchman24 is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 03:38 PM
  #46
Miri
Lavinengefahr!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
They're not losing their "identity".

The current incarnation of the Primary Avalanche logo is not something sacred either (in my eyes). I do not believe it HAS to be "updated" or "refreshed" (or whatever incarnation of the word people want to use), but if they did, I wouldn't be upset either. I wouldn't act as if my connection to the team has been severed and nothing will be right with the world again.

Again, what we've seen specifically for this year, is a new Secondary Logo, meant to bring about PRIDE for the state the team hails from. The plain truth (despite some not wanting to hear it), is that a vast majority of people (this is just my opinion) had NO IDEA why the Avs' Secondary Logo was a footprint.

IF the team decided to go through with a complete Primary Logo makeover, my allegiance to them wouldn't change. They're still the Colorado Avalanche.
Neither would mine, even if i would hate it, but serious question -At which point the Avs stop to be Avs? Clearly you cant stop players/coaches/stuff come and go, thats natural cycle of life. Now for you its apparently not a change to logo/colors/jerseys... i guess its not a name change either, since IMO its equally superficial as the visual parts...what is it then? Moving away from Denver? If thats it, seeing you are Kansas based, why would that matter to you?

Miri is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 03:53 PM
  #47
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,927
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miri View Post
Neither would mine, even if i would hate it, but serious question -At which point the Avs stop to be Avs? Clearly you cant stop players/coaches/stuff come and go, thats natural cycle of life. Now for you its apparently not a change to logo/colors/jerseys... i guess its not a name change either, since IMO its equally superficial as the visual parts...what is it then? Moving away from Denver? If thats it, seeing you are Kansas based, why would that matter to you?
Really not sure I'm following your question, but I'll do my best.

I'm a fan of the TEAM, not the logo/colors. Now, do I happen to believe that we have a good color scheme? Yeah, I do. I like the Burgundy & Blue.

However, for as far back as I can remember, I somehow became a fan of Joe Sakic, then of the Quebec Nordiques. The earliest memory I have is as a youngish child, buying a pack of hockey cards, but they weren't typical size/shape of trading cards, they were elongated Rectangles (seriously, these things stood out, and I've never seen them before again, even though I've tried to do Google searches...problem is, I don't remember what year it was when I got these cards). Any how, I got a Joe Sakic card (and a Mario Lemieux card in the same pack) and beyond any explanation, my not-fully-developed child brain decided that I liked Joe Sakic.

So, as I got older, I learned more about the team, and yeah, as a child I was happier they moved to Colorado ("It's right next to Kansas!" I remember thinking). Of course, again, not having a full sense of what happened to the Nordiques until much, much later, I didn't have a thought about that.

I now liked the Avalanche. I liked the Nordiques, and now I like the Avalanche. At that point in my life, I identified them as ONE team, when in reality, with how the Avalanche handled the move, they're really sort of two separate teams (hell, that's why there's a 20th anniversary this year). I've not been able to fully support another team in hockey, the same way I've supported the Avs. Sure, when I was a kid the Ducks appealed to me, because I was the target market, but they weren't the Avs.

It's difficult to put in words what my personal connection is to the team, but it's there. I felt it when they won the Cup in 1996, I felt it again when they won in 2001. I feel it when they win games, I certainly feel it when they suffer from a heart-breaking loss (2013-14 playoffs...that hurt). The logos and colors are nice, but they're secondary to me. I can't say, however, that those things might not find themselves at the forefront of my mind in the future, but as it stands right now, the Avs have typically played it safe with the aesthetic stuff. I don't foresee a humongous color scheme change in the future (because honestly, when has a team REALLY done that? And I mean a complete change, not a shading change). And a new logo isn't going to erase the identity of this team. A new logo isn't going to be Lucas'd (Star Wars reference) onto the Jerseys of the Cup teams from 1995-96 or 2000-01.

I'm just not seeing what the "big to do" is if the Avs eventually decide to adopt a new Primary Logo (mind you, this is something that hasn't even been talked about happening), and I certainly don't understand the "big to do" of them adopting a new Secondary Logo, and trying something different with an Alternate Jersey.

Okay then, I've said what I've needed to say...even if I didn't answer your question (because again, not sure what you're trying to ask).

[EDIT]

Oh. My. God...

I actually found a picture of the trading card in general!!

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Gallery...y?PageIndex=21



Last edited by RockLobster: 09-16-2015 at 04:01 PM.
RockLobster is online now  
Old
09-16-2015, 04:11 PM
  #48
Miri
Lavinengefahr!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Really not sure I'm following your question, but I'll do my best.

I'm a fan of the TEAM, not the logo/colors. Now, do I happen to believe that we have a good color scheme? Yeah, I do. I like the Burgundy & Blue.

However, for as far back as I can remember, I somehow became a fan of Joe Sakic, then of the Quebec Nordiques. The earliest memory I have is as a youngish child, buying a pack of hockey cards, but they weren't typical size/shape of trading cards, they were elongated Rectangles (seriously, these things stood out, and I've never seen them before again, even though I've tried to do Google searches...problem is, I don't remember what year it was when I got these cards). Any how, I got a Joe Sakic card (and a Mario Lemieux card in the same pack) and beyond any explanation, my not-fully-developed child brain decided that I liked Joe Sakic.

So, as I got older, I learned more about the team, and yeah, as a child I was happier they moved to Colorado ("It's right next to Kansas!" I remember thinking). Of course, again, not having a full sense of what happened to the Nordiques until much, much later, I didn't have a thought about that.

I now liked the Avalanche. I liked the Nordiques, and now I like the Avalanche. At that point in my life, I identified them as ONE team, when in reality, with how the Avalanche handled the move, they're really sort of two separate teams (hell, that's why there's a 20th anniversary this year). I've not been able to fully support another team in hockey, the same way I've supported the Avs. Sure, when I was a kid the Ducks appealed to me, because I was the target market, but they weren't the Avs.

It's difficult to put in words what my personal connection is to the team, but it's there. I felt it when they won the Cup in 1996, I felt it again when they won in 2001. I feel it when they win games, I certainly feel it when they suffer from a heart-breaking loss (2013-14 playoffs...that hurt). The logos and colors are nice, but they're secondary to me. I can't say, however, that those things might not find themselves at the forefront of my mind in the future, but as it stands right now, the Avs have typically played it safe with the aesthetic stuff. I don't foresee a humongous color scheme change in the future (because honestly, when has a team REALLY done that? And I mean a complete change, not a shading change). And a new logo isn't going to erase the identity of this team. A new logo isn't going to be Lucas'd (Star Wars reference) onto the Jerseys of the Cup teams from 1995-96 or 2000-01.

I'm just not seeing what the "big to do" is if the Avs eventually decide to adopt a new Primary Logo (mind you, this is something that hasn't even been talked about happening), and I certainly don't understand the "big to do" of them adopting a new Secondary Logo, and trying something different with an Alternate Jersey.

Okay then, I've said what I've needed to say...even if I didn't answer your question (because again, not sure what you're trying to ask).

[EDIT]

Oh. My. God...

I actually found a picture of the trading card in general!!

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Gallery...y?PageIndex=21

Thank you, i appreciate the answer, especially this elaborate.
I basically wanted to know, if as you say you are a fan of a team, what does it constitute, if everything about it can change. So if hypothetically all of it changes at once, new name and location, new logo/colors and new players/staff - the only thing to tie it to the Avs is the fact the team is meant to be their "heir" - would that be enough for you to cheer for that team? If Joe Sakic/all the other Nords players would not become Avs players in 1995, while Avs still being the Nords relocation team...would you still become their fan?

Miri is offline  
Old
09-16-2015, 04:21 PM
  #49
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,927
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miri View Post
Thank you, i appreciate the answer, especially this elaborate.
I basically wanted to know, if as you say you are a fan of a team, what does it constitute, if everything about it can change. So if hypothetically all of it changes at once, new name and location, new logo/colors and new players/staff - the only thing to tie it to the Avs is the fact the team is meant to be their "heir" - would that be enough for you to cheer for that team? If Joe Sakic/all the other Nords players would not become Avs players in 1995, while Avs still being the Nords relocation team...would you still become their fan?
Let me put it this way--If the Nordiques had NEVER moved to Colorado (or, alternatively, a different city and played under a different name/banner), I'd still be a fan of that team. Like I mentioned, at the time, I wasn't cognitive enough to understand what "relocation" was to a sports team. I don't even think I understood that relocation would usually involve new logos/colors/whatnot. I literally told that the Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche. So all the players I liked on the Nordiques, are now on this team. So again, as a child (would have been 10 years old when they won their 1st cup), I just didn't think in the same terms I think of now. I sure as hell didn't understand that once the Nordiques became the Avalanche, that the Ownership/Front Office had basically decided that they wouldn't really recognize the Nordiques history, and that they treated the Avalanche as a "brand new team" starting in 1995-96. So the only thing I've had to reconcile in my mind was that the Avs and Nords were really two separate franchises. And if the Nordiques DO make a comeback with expansion, I MIGHT watch them, but the Avs have permanently carved their spot in my heart.

And I'll be honest, did I think the Avs logo was cool, as a child of the 90's? Yeah, I did, and I still think it's nice today. I don't have a problem with it, but if they wanted to make a change, I wouldn't be against it either...unless they somehow put out something on the same level of "horrible" as the Dallas Stars "bull uterus" logo that adorned one of their Alternate Jerseys some years ago.

I just don't personally see the harm in the team wanting to recognize, and be proud of being in Colorado. As many have stated, State Pride is a big thing in Colorado. the Flag and "C" have become something that people want to wear, and I think it's becoming something that people not from Colorado enjoy wearing (Kento can probably comment further on that).

I never had a problem with the footprint logo (even though until recently, I didn't understand its connection to the Avalanche branding), but I do feel that the new "C" Secondary Logo has the potential to be a timeless, classic, logo for the team. The Colorado State Flag isn't going to change any time soon, and the Avs did right (in my book) by adopting it, and putting the Avalanche colors on it.

RockLobster is online now  
Old
09-16-2015, 04:28 PM
  #50
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 19,422
vCash: 50
I have no connections to the centennial state other than being an Avs fan, but even I think that the state flag is a thing of beauty, it should be featured more on the jersey, I really like the new jersey and the logo and I wouldn't mind it one bit if they moved to something like that down the road, even though I like the current Avs logo.

Ivan13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.