HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton @ Calgary--October 14th

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
I love this...11 hours away from the game even starting and this thread already has 50 posts.

This board has really picked up in activity compared to the same time last year.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:15 AM
Digger12

According to the Journal, sounds like Stoll and Semenov will still be in the PB for this game. :mad:

Is someone on the Oilers' D being showcased for a trade or something? While I can somewhat understand Stoll not getting any ice time yet, how does Semi NOT get on the ice after that terrible display in Vancouver?

Old
10-14-2003, 06:17 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
btw there is a great chance the Flames will start McLennan.
Because every team knows the Oilers lose to the backups, especially if they're playing their first NHL game. I don't know how many times it happened last year, but its already happened once this year.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:03 AM
goldenchild

i missed the Saturday game which was apparently a good thing but did lose $20 on it. Then on Sunday my beloved Eagles blew another one and broke my heart and I'm still getting over it, I need an Oilers win to lift my spirits.

Semenov has to be in the lineup, there should be an NHL rule preventing Cross and Ferguson from being in the lineup together.
Also I don't see what Pisani has done to be in the lineup I say they give the former flames draft pick his first game. let's say 3-2 Oil Smyth , Reasoner and Staios with the winner

Old
10-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Is someone on the Oilers' D being showcased for a trade or something?

Didn't think of that, excellent point. I find it somewhat frustrating that they didn't just send Semenov out. imo he was certainly good enough last season to play on this team, but that's just my opinion.

If he really isn't good enough, or has taken a step backwards, why on earth would he still be here?

I believe you've got it digger12.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:42 AM
goldenchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Didn't think of that, excellent point. I find it somewhat frustrating that they didn't just send him out. imo he was certainly good enough last season to play on this team, but that's just my opinion.

If he really isn't good enough, or has taken a step backwards, why on earth would he still be here?

Your thought solves all questions.
Who exactly are they showcasing? I don't think the word showcasing has ever been used in the same sentance as Ferguson or Cross If you wanna showcase Fergy put him in the PB he will look a lot better there. I think they are trying to send Semenov a message but they need to put him in and see if he gets it.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:52 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
I think they are trying to send Semenov a message
I agree with this theory more than the showcasing theory. I can add some other pure speculation to this line of enquiry:
  • Vancouver, now Calgary. Key 4 point games. Four good reasons for Ferguson and Cross to be warmed up. If he didn't want Semenov in the top-4 in those games (see: playoffs last year), he sure as heck didn't want Semenov with Bergeron.
  • Bergeron might get a few games and be send down as a Chimera special. Alternatively, he's been given a chance to directly compete against Ferguson. Semenov will be kept, we know that already. If Bergeron sticks, he'll force Ferguson out of the lineup and then the team. This is a more sane way of choosing players than inserting Bergeron directly out of a good preseaon.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Who exactly are they showcasing? I don't think the word showcasing has ever been used in the same sentance as Ferguson or Cross If you wanna showcase Fergy put him in the PB he will look a lot better there. I think they are trying to send Semenov a message but they need to put him in and see if he gets it.
Well, we don't know it's Ferguson or Cross. It MIGHT be Jason Smith.
Maybe Smith and Comrie are headed somehwere together, with a defenseman coming back as part of the return.

We don't know for certain. It doesn't make alot of sense for the Oilers to sit Semenov out for a week without playing. I understand there's alot to learn from the pressbox, and they are sending him a message with regard to physical play.

But if he's not working hard in practice, or he's slipped some other way, it would make more sense to send him out, right? Instead of having him sit some more?

They haven't done that. Just a theory, but I think digger12 makes a good point.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:58 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Why do I have this horrible feeling that Iginla opens a can of whoop ass tonight?

Maybe it's just the flu bug.

Dean

ps, I've missed you guys and gals, I haven't been around much in the past two weeks. I see that Guy is still kicking butt and taking names.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:22 AM
goldenchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Well, we don't know it's Ferguson or Cross. It MIGHT be Jason Smith.
Maybe Smith and Comrie are headed somehwere together, with a defenseman coming back as part of the return.

We don't know for certain. It doesn't make alot of sense for the Oilers to sit Semenov out for a week without playing. I understand there's alot to learn from the pressbox, and they are sending him a message with regard to physical play.
That could certainly be the case but with a guy like Smith I think the league knows what he brings on a nightly basis, i don't see why that would be linked to Semmy being in the box. I honestly thought he would be in for the Van game, I thought he played tough against Bertuzzi last season and thought his size would have got him in. 3 games in a row is a bit much put him in and see how he does.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:00 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
According to the Journal, sounds like Stoll and Semenov will still be in the PB for this game. :mad:

Is someone on the Oilers' D being showcased for a trade or something? While I can somewhat understand Stoll not getting any ice time yet, how does Semi NOT get on the ice after that terrible display in Vancouver?
In all fairness to the defence, they did their job admirably against Vancouver.

It was the forwards who let them down on the 2nd and 3rd goals, and the 1st one the refs just missed a call.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:14 AM
zamboni

I've got tickets for tonight and I'll be the loudest Oiler fan in the building. I'll be sure to take my Hotdog-and-pop Shield with me...

Old
10-14-2003, 11:52 AM
capebretonoilers

Hey --i got your back brother

Old
10-14-2003, 12:01 PM
flamesfanont

The game will be close, I'll say 3-2 Flames in OT but it could just as easily go the other way. If McLennan is off his game though look for an Oilers blowout.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:02 PM
capebretonoilers

"large" ie Turek is playing tonight

Old
10-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Shizuka

Prediction

2-1 Oil...They barely scrape by on the offensive side but rebound with a more solid outing...

Old
10-14-2003, 12:19 PM
momentai

I don't understand this entire Semenov ordeal. He was our #3 dman last year only behind Brewer and Staios... and even Brewer is questionably above him. Older, more experienced players tend to fair better when sitting out of the lineup for extended periods of time. Semenov is still young and needs the icetime and experience to learn as well as improve.

It makes absolutely no sense even if someone is being showcased for a trade. Why not sit Bergeron then if we must have Cross and Ferguson in the lineup? Bergeron is also young but Semenov is the more vital piece of our defensive corps. Why sacrifice that and risk Semenov losing a step this year just for showcasing someone? It makes no sense to me at all.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:20 PM
momentai

Quote:
I love this...11 hours away from the game even starting and this thread already has 50 posts.

This board has really picked up in activity compared to the same time last year.
No kidding. Geez, I'm off for a day or two and I'm like 3-4 pages behind already! yeesh.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:40 PM
capebretonoilers

Could they be showcasing Bergeron ????

Similar to Pisa last year ?

Old
10-14-2003, 12:56 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretonoilers
Could they be showcasing Bergeron ????

Similar to Pisa last year ?
Pisa wasn't a vital piece of the Carter deal at all. Heck, I think the Oilers could have acquired Dvorak and Cross for Anson alone without throwing Pisa into the deal.

I don't know why they'd showcase Bergeron... he just doesn't carry enough value for this to be worthwhile.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:10 PM
capebretonoilers

Who else would they be showcasing.?.Playing Ferguson and Cross
ahead of Semenov? It was just a possible explanation for Semenov
sitting. More likely it is to send a message to Semenov-- as stated by
others on here..

Old
10-14-2003, 01:30 PM
jofa

Alright already, Semenov's got the message. Put him back in!

I'm sorry, but putting Pisani and Ferguson in the lineup over Stoll (or even Rita) and Semenov is a big mistake in my opinion. Semenov was, at times, one of the Oilers best defenseman last season and has potential to be even better this season.

Why are we opting for Ferguson? Instead of giving the roster spot to the guy who's "doing his best work when he's not being noticed", give the spot to a guy who will get noticed and has more potential to make an impact in a game. God knows Edmonton's defense can stand to make more of an impact...

Old
10-14-2003, 01:41 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Semenov has to be in the lineup, there should be an NHL rule preventing Cross and Ferguson from being in the lineup together.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:44 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretonoilers
"large" ie Turek is playing tonight
Turek is out according to Roger Millions of sportsnet.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:55 PM
capebretonoilers

sorry guys guess I was wrong -- He was listed as probable in the papers
today .

Closed Thread