HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teen with peanut allergy...

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Teen with peanut allergy...

dies after kiss...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051128/...da_deadly_kiss

Scary stuff - not sure if I'd make fun of Poti's allergy too much after reading something as crazy as this.

Old
11-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
dies after kiss...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051128/...da_deadly_kiss

Scary stuff - not sure if I'd make fun of Poti's allergy too much after reading something as crazy as this.
I think Poti almost died in college after his roommate touched the doorknob after eating a peanutbutter sandwich

Old
11-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Yeah, it's always really classy when people wish death upon Poti because he doesn't please them. Selfish and disgusting, joking or not.

Old
11-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Heat McManus

I worked at a camp for the past four summers and it's scarry anytime you know a child with one of these allergies. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Old
11-28-2005, 02:38 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
This is why all those candy bars have warnings on the labels "may contain nuts". It's not because something like a Milky Way actually has nuts, it's because they're produced in the same factory as Snickers bars which do. Even a little of the crushed-up peanut dust to settle on a Milky Way to set off a reaction in some people.

Old
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly
Yeah, it's always really classy when people wish death upon Poti because he doesn't please them. Selfish and disgusting, joking or not.
As much as I hate the guy for his play, I will NEVER wish death upon him, or anybody else.

May this girl Rest In Peace.

Old
11-28-2005, 05:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

My brother has a bad nut allergy and he had a reaction on his honeymoon in Hawaii (last week)after eating some cookie that was "processed with nuts", not even an ingredient. He blew up and had mild shock but he was alright after a trip to the hospital - but its really really scary stuff, happens in like 2 min. Its amazing how such a small amount can affect cetain people.

Thats a really sad story... imagine what the boyfriend must feel like, i cant even imagine...

Old
11-28-2005, 09:17 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeffyuhTJRest
I worked at a camp for the past four summers and it's scarry anytime you know a child with one of these allergies. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
yea as a counselor when i was younger i always had to worry about that stuff. also one of my best friends is big time allergic. i took a ride with him to hospital once and one of my other friends a different time. sucks to say the least to have that condition.

Old
11-28-2005, 09:44 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly
i think its in poor taste when people joke about it but its even poorer imo when someone implies bull, cuz no one says it in that way

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 11-29-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old
11-29-2005, 12:59 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
My brother has a bad nut allergy and he had a reaction on his honeymoon in Hawaii (last week)after eating some cookie that was "processed with nuts", not even an ingredient. He blew up and had mild shock but he was alright after a trip to the hospital - but its really really scary stuff, happens in like 2 min. Its amazing how such a small amount can affect cetain people.

Thats a really sad story... imagine what the boyfriend must feel like, i cant even imagine...
Alright, I know this is a serious topic...
Bu5 how can you throw "Bad nut allergy" and "On his honeymoon" in the same sentence and not turn into a giggling goofball...
Maybe it's just me...
Sorry...
SML...

Old
11-29-2005, 09:07 AM
BringBackNeilSmith

Nice to see all this good will out here. My daughter, who's 11 now, was fed her 1st PB sandwich by a daycare provider at 18 mos and promptly went into what's called anaphylactic shock... swelling occurs, sometimes all over the body, and the airways close. Seeing her gasping for air, arms and face red and distorted way beyond usual size, rushing to the hospital, watching to ensure she kept breathing all through the night...most harrowing experience of my life. So we stopped feeding her anything with peanuts in it but still had yet to understand the crazy scope of the problem. A few months later I'm eating some and she walks over and, knowing no better yet, plants one on my lips. Fifteen minutes later, one of her eyelids has swollen shut and her legs are itching like she's been hit by a swarm of mosquitoes. We were lucky it was no worse that time. Two years ago we got cocky having avoided any reactions since then and took her to her first ball game at the Vet... folks right behind us eating peanuts... sure enough, on the way home an uncontrollable sneezing fit that didn't really clear up til the next day.

Ten years ago, she was the first and only kid in school with the problem, and getting the school to be a place we could safely send her was a hell of a challenge. Unfortunately, and is reflected in the understanding all you guys have shown above, it's a much bigger problem now. God bless 'em all and with luck there'll be a vaccine that gets out of the testing-on-mice phase before too long.

If Poti's got some personality challenges... and don't forget, that guy is allergic to an INCREDIBLE number of substances... I couldn't sit too much in judgment if living with this stuff his whole life had a little negative impact here and there. But I will tell you this... nobody who's had to go through life as he has can EVER be called a wuss. The rest of us should be as tough as he's had to be.

Old
11-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
i think its in poor taste when people joke about it but its even poorer imo when someone implies bull, cuz no one says it in that way

Poti has a bad game and there are always a couple who chime in "i hope poti goes and eats a PBJ sandwich."

Doing so would result in death most likely, am I right? I'm not sure how much clearer it can be. Criticize the guy all you want (and who here hasn't?) but indirectly calling for his death, a bit over the line no?

Sure, it might be a crappy joke in poor taste, and some may not mean it that way at all, but still, the intent is there. "Hey Poti, I don't like how you play hockey...appease me and go die alright?" Good times.

Old
11-29-2005, 11:21 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I was an EMT for a few years and I had to deal with this a number of times.

Scary ****.

Closed Thread