HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gameday thread: Vancouver @ Columbus

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 04:52 PM
LaVal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Well, we aren't going to win all the games. To take good and bad out of this game:

The Bad

- Cloutier could have been better
- The top line, while scoring a pretty goal, didn't finish enough chances
- Too many botched odd-man rushes

The Good

- This cannot be understated: Our team never quit. Unlike a bunch of other teams out there, you could tell that the boys wanted to win badly, especially with the fire they played with in the last 5 minutes. Lesser teams would have rolled over. We didn't.
- Mattias Ohlund had a whale of a game
- Our third line (shutdown) was very good. Scoreless, yes, but excellent defensivly, and were great on the PK for most of the game (can't really blame 'em for the Vyborny powerplay goal).
you could add "May didn't get killed by Shelley" to the good list

Quote:
Naslund has zero goals, and zero assists.

But to any of us who've watched the games, Naslund has played very well in all three games. He is skating like nuts, and is clearly our most skilled player. Did you miss his play on the Morrison goal?
no i didn't miss the play.

has he done some fancy skating and stickwork? yes
has he fired a shot remotely difficult for a goaltender to save yet this season? no
has our clutch performer, performed when needed most? no
has he given any words to rally our team when we needed that goal with the net empty and seconds left? no.

you'll have to excuse me if i'm dissapointed with Naslund's play so far.

Old
10-13-2003, 04:55 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Why Nash? He played decent and got a goal off his ass. Marchant had a goal and 2 assists and played a much bigger role.

He was the only Blue Jacket who kept pumping and skating and going and going for the first two periods, he gave the Jackets the energy to turn the game around in the second period. He contributed the intangibles that nobody notices.

Old
10-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
you'll have to excuse me if i'm dissapointed with Naslund's play so far.
I agree. He's playing well, but he's our captain and go to offensive guy, and he's not playing that role, and that is unacceptable.

10-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
has he given any words to rally our team when we needed that goal with the net empty and seconds left? no.
Wow, you were on the bench?

Doesn't anyone remember the atrocious start Naslund got to last season? He scored in the first game, yes, but was rather unspectacular after that.

He's got his groin problems to work out, etc...the tying goal was Naslund, doesn't matter that he didn't get any points off it.

Way too early to get worried about Naslund.

Old
10-13-2003, 05:11 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Wow, you were on the bench?

Doesn't anyone remember the atrocious start Naslund got to last season? He scored in the first game, yes, but was rather unspectacular after that.

He's got his groin problems to work out, etc...the tying goal was Naslund, doesn't matter that he didn't get any points off it.

Way too early to get worried about Naslund.
the ONLY person that it's never too early to get worried about is your captain, anchor, and best clutch performer

Old
10-13-2003, 05:30 PM
KrazyCanuck19

they'll bounce back from this one.

Old
10-13-2003, 05:34 PM
C'nuckleHead

What's Crawford doing taking a very effective line and watering it down by replacing King with Ruutu?

The game's back on...gotta watch again

Old
10-13-2003, 05:56 PM
maruk14

Quote:
the ONLY person that it's never too early to get worried about is your captain, anchor, and best clutch performer
Except maybe your goaltender

I agree it's too early to worry about Naslund. You know he is going to get his points. I worry more about the Twins keeping up their good start, or Allen finally proving he can play in the NHL. Naslund's points will come.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Couple of impressions about the Nucks...

The Twins are good, pretty dang good. They are both turning into gritty, two way players. They impressed me the most tonight.

I never noticed how many Swedish players you have on your team. That's not a bad thing

I liked Ruutu's game. He throws the body and plays soundly in other areas.

Didn't notice much of Cooke tonight, except for when he pissed off Nash. Ahh, kids are cute I'll bet dollars to donuts that both Nash and Klesla get fighting majors this year, but that's for a different thread.

Ohlund is a beast, I never knew he was chippy of a player. He may not be underrated around the league, but the impact he has on the Nucks to underappearciated.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Thalia

Well it just took me four hours to do a one hour driving trip b/c of all the the holiday traffic; had to shut the truck down several times on the hi-way and just wait til the traffic got moving again.

Obviously I didn't see the game but I did listen to the second two periods on the radio and it 'sounded' as though the Canucks played an okay game, not too bad either but I too agree that Cloutier's temper tantrum was uncalled for. What a friggin' baby!

I'm all for Cloutier being #1 goalie and all; I want to see him do well but he's certainly making it difficult for me keep rooting for him. I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever get his temper in tact.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
OMG!!!!

The Canucks lost... that's it... trade Bertuzzi, trade the twins!! Panic... panic... PANIC!!!

Seriously though... the BJ's are a good club, and this loss doesn't hurt like the one against the Flames did last season.

My only suggestion is to stick with a regular lineup, and change only when needed. But the Canucks could've easily won this game. The Jackets were better, and won. 3 down, 79 to go.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:16 PM
jackets63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Nice avatar, but you spelled the guy's name wrong...
Yeah, I noticed that. But I had someone make the avatar for me and I like it overall so I couldnt complain about it! :p

3-2 baby! Sorry, gotta enjoy this while it lasts.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
OMG!!!!

The Canucks lost... that's it... trade Bertuzzi, trade the twins!! Panic... panic... PANIC!!!

Seriously though... the BJ's are a good club, and this loss doesn't hurt like the one against the Flames did last season.

My only suggestion is to stick with a regular lineup, and change only when needed. But the Canucks could've easily won this game. The Jackets were better, and won. 3 down, 79 to go.
While panicing is silly, it is important to learn from losses.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets63
Yeah, I noticed that. But I had someone make the avatar for me and I like it overall so I couldnt complain about it! :p

3-2 baby! Sorry, gotta enjoy this while it lasts.
It was a good win for the Jackets and I always take the loss a little easier when the hometeam gets the win. One of my favorite ex-nux Cassels got a couple of assists and wow, what a night for Marchant. I wonder if the Oilers miss this guy yet.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

A little early to bring out the Cloutier bashing if you ask me. Every goalie lets in the odd soft goal.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:29 PM
quat
vapid but stately

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Saw the game taped, so have to add my comments after the fact.

I'm begining to see that the Canucks style of play is much better with a goal tender that can stick handle the puck. There was a stretch in the second period? Third? Can't remember now... think it may have been both periods... heh... Where the Canucks took control of the the puck in their own end, and then promptly gave the puck away trying those long outlet passes. Jovo did it at least three times in a row, and on each of the turn overs, the Jackets looked dangerous and had chances against the Canucks. Having a tender that can field the puck allows the team to be a little more evenly spread out, and it's why they seem to play better D with Hedberg in goal. I think. Man, Jovo is a great player, but you just can't leave him as the last guy back with the puck. He totally commits himself to moving forward with speed, and good neutral zone coverage makes all his passes very high risk. Same deal against Minny in the playoffs. With Hedburg in net, the D don't have to skate all the way back each time, and so that alone cuts down on chances against.

Blue Jackets are a much improved team, and really it was a combination of the top line trying too hard, and Cloutiers temper.

Thought Nassy had a fantastic night! The guy had major hustle all over the ice, and I didn't see him making any errors AND he was picking up his man on the backcheck.

Also, to his credit, Cloutier just didn't have a very good night. He can play better.

Ruutu was OK on the second line, but King is more dangerous on that line. He has better puck control and is more of a scorer. Personally, I'd much rather see Ruutu with May and Chubarov on the fourth line. I don't think that Keaner has the talent to be getting ice time over Ruutu.

It must be hard as the coach to decide what to do.

Let's not forget that Rick Nash is pretty fricken skilled, and he completely suckered Slegr on the winning goal. Guys like that are hard to beat, but to be honest, I think Allen would have had his balance and just pushed him out instead of lunging like Slegr did.

Lot's of hindsite, and it sucks to lose at all... especially when you figure the Canucks are just going to tear it up!

Old
10-13-2003, 09:12 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
A little early to bring out the Cloutier bashing if you ask me. Every goalie lets in the odd soft goal.
Not game by game....just look back on last year.

Every second game he let in a softy. That's his problem. And playing the puck...and a list of other things.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Mizral

By the way, I thought I'd mention:

In the 1st there, I saw a very mature Canuck team - much more mature than in the past. I don't know what it is, but it seems, defensivly, the team can lock-down much better, even early in the season this year compared to late last season. I'm seeing great D in both the Calgary & Edmonton games, and outside of a major breakdown through half of the second, I thought we played very well.

I do agree though, Hedberg as the 3rd D-man really improves this squad.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergizerScotty
Not game by game....just look back on last year.

Every second game he let in a softy. That's his problem. And playing the puck...and a list of other things.

Game by game? If you are referring to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I would agree. But he was good during the regular season. Ah well...might as well let the bashers have their fun though. I'm not a big Cloutier fan, but I'm still not stupid enough to fault the game on him.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:56 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Open your eyes.

Vyborny...Grandma could have stopped that in her electric wheelchair.

Old
10-14-2003, 03:39 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Game by game? If you are referring to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I would agree. But he was good during the regular season. Ah well...might as well let the bashers have their fun though. I'm not a big Cloutier fan, but I'm still not stupid enough to fault the game on him.
For me it isn't that he let in a couple of soft goals, that does happen to every goaltender every year, it was the way they came about. A stupid temper tantrum on a nothing play in a game the canucks were winning and even controlling at the time that results in a dumb penalty and then he doesn't come up big to cover for HIS mistake. Against a team that there is no real rivalry and the game wasn't heated. It was dumb and turned the tide of the game. The canucks deflated for a few minutes as happens to many teams after playing well only to have your goaltender blow the lead (again).

And he was good the first half of the regular season...the second half he was nothing to write home about.

Old
10-14-2003, 04:15 AM
meepen

Quote:
Open your eyes.

Jackets fan here. David Vyborny is going to surprise many people who don't know about him. Big time late bloomer. The boy has some impressive stick handling skills and a very accurate shot. He potted 20 goals last season and has two on seven shots in three games. I'm not counting on him to beat the 20 this season, but would be very happy if he does and the way he's playing he easily could.
The announcers and fans over here were raving about how he drilled a very small hole that Dan C left him while looking off to the man he could have passed to. I didn't actually see it, but it is not being painted as quite such a softie by everyone. 'Course, maybe it actually was (grin.)
Heck of a game in any case. Looking forward to the next one. Good luck other than against Columbus.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:42 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Open your eyes.

Cloutier was playing the pass so he wasn't prepared for a shot.. but he definitely should have shut the door to Vyborny from that angle.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:43 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepen
Jackets fan here. David Vyborny is going to surprise many people who don't know about him. Big time late bloomer. The boy has some impressive stick handling skills and a very accurate shot. He potted 20 goals last season and has two on seven shots in three games. I'm not counting on him to beat the 20 this season, but would be very happy if he does and the way he's playing he easily could.
The announcers and fans over here were raving about how he drilled a very small hole that Dan C left him while looking off to the man he could have passed to. I didn't actually see it, but it is not being painted as quite such a softie by everyone. 'Course, maybe it actually was (grin.)
Heck of a game in any case. Looking forward to the next one. Good luck other than against Columbus.
You should not score short side from that angle. It is as simple as that.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:34 AM
3mta3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
You should not score short side from that angle. It is as simple as that.
Excellent point. Vyborny put the puck through a itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie hole in the pads (hooray for him - I'm a Jackets fan and he's talented and all that jazz...) but the point remains:

Said itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie hole in the pads wouldn't have been there if Cloutier was committed to covering the near side properly.

If it was played right, Vyborny would have had nothing to shoot for and would have dished or taken it behind the net.

Closed Thread