HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What needs to be done?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2006, 08:59 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
What needs to be done?

After getting embarassed by Tampa Bay, it's clear that there is something really wrong with the Flyers. I know we've all atributed the problems to injuries, fatigue, coaching, leadership, etc.....but this team is in a real funk right now and they are not looking good at all. The question is, how do they pull out of this? It's clear that the Hitchcock message is going in and out of ears. It's clear that players are playing with their own agenda and not keeping the team in mind. It's clear that some players are being played right past the point of exhaustion and it's clear that the spark this team usually has is missing.

What do the Flyers do? We're close to the salary cap right now and let's face it, nobody wants any of our vets like Brashear, Therien, Savage, etc......The only players that we could move who have value are guys like KJ and Handzus and I seriously doubt we're going to move Zus anytime soon (although I could see us dealing KJ if the right deal came along). Everyone seems to think the Olympic break is going to help, but we're still going to have six players participating in the 2 week tournament, so that's not going to help everyone rest up. There's talk of making a move for a big forward if Keith doesn't come back, but then we're dealing from a position of weakness and that means we might have to seriously overpay for someone. And thanks but no thanks if it means giving up Carter, Umberger, or Richards. Those three are going to be the core of this team for the next 10 to 16 years, so it doesn't make any sense to rip it apart for the sake of a rental of a big forward.

I'm also wondering if perhaps the locker room has become a bit poisonous and the players really need to have a meeting with Hitch to really hammer out what the troubles are. Either way, something drastic needs to be done. This whole Jeckyl and Hyde manner that this team pulls is really starting to get old.

Old
01-29-2006, 09:34 AM
donelikedinner

give them rest and they shall heal and win...................

Old
01-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Um, I was never aware of it, but GKJ said something about that whole Disney on Ice thing. That should be looked at. I mean, you could let that thing go on for two weeks, or however long, but at least give the Flyers a home game at least once a week. Two games away, one game home, thats better than a nine game road strech...

I think the team just needs to make it to the break. Carter and Richards need more time and better linemates. Forsberg is injured. Instead of putting Nedved on the first line, It should be Carter or Richards. It really can't get any worse than that game yesterday.

That game was the first time I've been able to see the Flyers all year long (University does the school TV Deals), I was so happy at the beginning to finally see hockey, but they played so poorly, I ended cutting it off halfway through the second. It was pathetic.

If you want to free up cap space, send Brashear and Savage down on waivers (replace with Eager and whoever we trade for, plus people coming back from injury, whenever that maybe). Place Primeau on the IR get that money freed, and then we make a trade for something. We have enough draft picks and centers to pull something off.

They also need to stop rushing people back from injury. It doesn't help to get Peter Forsberg back and everyone excited, just to watch him injury is other groin.

Old
01-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I agree with the injury analysis. All of the injuries have taken their toll, and especially rushing back from injuries have hurt even more. As a result of the injuries, players are taking on too much responsibility, playing too much, etc. I think they should not bring Forsberg back, no matter what, til after the olympics. I really wish they would dress the Phantoms or Trenton Titans (along with Carter and Richards, et al.) and give the whole Flyers team a rest til after the break, but that won't happen.

Old
01-29-2006, 03:09 PM
mikedifr

People. This happens every year, and every year the fans cry and worry (no I am not saying I am 100% innocent in this). Minus the injury concerns, it is a long season full of streaks. How many season can we go back and see the Flyers go on some enormous winning streak, only to have a big losing streak at some point in the season as well. The rest of the year evens it out and teams end up where they should be. They are having a bad string now, after having a great win streak at the beginning. The Olympic break is coming. A lot of the players will get rest. Hopefully some of our injured players get healthy and come back.

Old
01-29-2006, 03:45 PM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
People. This happens every year, and every year the fans cry and worry (no I am not saying I am 100% innocent in this). Minus the injury concerns, it is a long season full of streaks. How many season can we go back and see the Flyers go on some enormous winning streak, only to have a big losing streak at some point in the season as well. The rest of the year evens it out and teams end up where they should be. They are having a bad string now, after having a great win streak at the beginning. The Olympic break is coming. A lot of the players will get rest. Hopefully some of our injured players get healthy and come back.
yeah, and every year we don't win the cup
any more words of wisdom?

Old
01-29-2006, 07:34 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
yeah, and every year we don't win the cup
any more words of wisdom?
Yes, here are my words of wisdom....

What happened in the past is irrelevant. This is a different team, different year, and different NHL. Last time I checked no one has gone 82 and 0 for a season. Teams have winning streaks, teams have losing streaks. The Flyers came off a long winning streak, they are burnt out, having injury problems and are now on a losing streak.

I never considered myself a genius, but it is safe to say that the reason we have not won a cup in 30 years has nothing to do with the fact that the team has had some losing streaks in the middle of the season. Last time I checked the cup is decided April-June.

Old
01-29-2006, 07:56 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
We should make Hatcher temporary Captain and Gagne and Kapanen permanent assistants

Old
01-29-2006, 10:16 PM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
Yes, here are my words of wisdom....

What happened in the past is irrelevant. This is a different team, different year, and different NHL. Last time I checked no one has gone 82 and 0 for a season. Teams have winning streaks, teams have losing streaks. The Flyers came off a long winning streak, they are burnt out, having injury problems and are now on a losing streak.

I never considered myself a genius, but it is safe to say that the reason we have not won a cup in 30 years has nothing to do with the fact that the team has had some losing streaks in the middle of the season. Last time I checked the cup is decided April-June.
Um, if the past is irrelevant, then how can you use the past in your first post?

Old
01-29-2006, 10:46 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
Um, if the past is irrelevant, then how can you use the past in your first post?

I will give you that, major brain fart on my point, still doesnt change the fact that losing streaks in the middle of January into February have absolutely nothing to do with winning a cup. I am sure if we went and researched each cup winner over the last however many years, more often than not you will see that the team went on a really big winning streak and losing streak at some point of the year. Cups are decided in the playoffs, not the extremely long 82 game regular season. For example, during the Tampa Bay cup season, they went a period from 11/20 - 12/29 where they went 6-11-3. Hardly signs of a cup winning team, right?? Two of NJ's cups had periods where they were under .500 for a 15-20 game period. It happens. Add on top of that the injury problems and you have the Flyers losing streak in meaningless January.

Last edited by mikedifr: 01-29-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old
01-29-2006, 11:03 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
We should make Hatcher temporary Captain and Gagne and Kapanen permanent assistants
ALTERNATE!

Old
01-29-2006, 11:22 PM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
I will give you that, major brain fart on my point, still doesnt change the fact that losing streaks in the middle of January into February have absolutely nothing to do with winning a cup. I am sure if we went and researched each cup winner over the last however many years, more often than not you will see that the team went on a really big winning streak and losing streak at some point of the year. Cups are decided in the playoffs, not the extremely long 82 game regular season.
I'll agree with your last sentence, but my concern here is the tendancy of bad habits. The Flyers are great for them. Watching this team over the past few games, you can see them become all too comfortable with getting outplayed. They never seem to correct themselves. Since the beginning of the season, this team has had the terrible habit of giving up the puck. Just plain terrible turn overs. It wasn't as noticable when we were winning, but now they are paying for every turn over. To my observation, as a whole, the team has not shown any effort in correcting this terrible habit. You'd think from October to late January would be enough time to see some kind of improvement.

Now I see another habit of heartless, no-effort hockey. How long will it take to correct that one, especially if they haven't corrected their previous habits?

Yes, it is a slump and over a long season each team ususally takes a turn in a slump. But, when cup teams of past have slumped, there is that x-factor that helps them recover. Call it pride, heart, or accountablity... whatever you want. Those teams have shown that it is unacceptable they were in a slump and were determined to correct the ship. They never just talked the talk, they backed it up with their play.

Right now, the Flyers talk like they want out of their slump, but can you really see them determined?

All elite teams have problems, but they work to correct them. That is what makes them elite. Look at Ottawa earlier. They took care of business.

I can't put the Flyers in that group of elite teams. Not yet at least. Until they show that x-factor, and learn to fix their bad habits- permanently.

While the cup isn't won during the 82 games, a teams habits and character, establish during the regular season, help carry a cup contender through the playoffs.

That what scares me. The Flyer's play this season, right now, doesn't equate to what is needed for the post season.

Old
01-29-2006, 11:26 PM
TheKingPin

I tyhink every good team has these types of strectches. Ours is just bigger cause the road trip and injuries. When you loose the best player in the worlf for the third time due to the same basic injury of course the team will be defalted. The Other lines that are expected to step up are way to yound to really know how. As half the tem said in recent quotes these are the dogg days...they are mentally not into the games for many reason. Its gonna take solid goal tending from Esche to win the next game and Nitty the next till Foppa and renforcemnts arrive.

Old
01-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

One thing I would like to see happen is consistant linemates. It's been tough with injuries, but one line that played well and has chemistry is Umberger-Carter-Eager. Keeping lines together and not changing every game develops chemistry. The first thing coaches do when a team isn't playing well is change the lines up, but then the players have no chance to develop that chemistry.

Old
01-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Nacho
Special

Didn't think much of the Tampa game, until they lost to Washington that is...

Old
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
facts

I agree with the washington statement. I just feel we are a predictable team sure we beat good teams on occassion but we are just so fragile, low confidence if you will. Hitch has been all Raw Raw Raw lately but the fact is it is clear that we panic and follow routines.
Sure I am surprised that it was 6 love against the bolts, but I knew that we wouldn't beat them- "they have our number" is the word the flyers are probably saying. Look at our upcoming schedule- NYR we will win, embarrassed on saturday retaliation game- Buf -loss good team we alwqays blink first. NYR toss up same type of team as ours this year. MTL interesting game, we should win because of the deflating defeat last time. And so on, unpredictable team with rather predictable results.

Old
01-30-2006, 03:57 PM
sansan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Didn't think much of the Tampa game, until they lost to Washington that is...
TB usually has trouble with the Caps for whatever reason. There's no transitive property in sports.

Old
01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Jester

really not a big deal... they'll come out of it.

in '03-'04 from the beginning of december through jan. 13th we went 6-8-5-4... in '02-'03 we had a nice little stretch to close out january and start february at 3-4-1-1.

it happens. it's a long season... doesn't matter how you're playing now. it matters how you're playing when the puck drops on game 1 of the second season. it's a bump in the road, no need to jump ship just yet...

Closed Thread