HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who Broke Your Heart??

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Guy Legend

vCash: 500
When:

Shanahan left the Blues
Cujo left the Blues
Gretzky left the Blues
Hull left the Blues
Duchesne left the Blues
Turgeon left the Blues
Pronger left the Blues
Demitra left the Blues
Ownership (Laurie) left the Blues

Old
12-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Big Phil

These are just in general:

Roger Neilson having his job taken form under his nose after he was going through cancer. Also Bill Barber coaching the Flyers as well getting fired the year his wife dies with cancer seemed sad. There's something about Bobby Clarke and firing coaches that involve cancer. Somehow Neilson still considered Clarke a friend before he died. Primeau I thought was unclassy in calling out Barber to be fired. What the hell has Primeau ever done throughout his career?

Gretzky retiring in '99. yeah he was no longer the best in the game but the game lost some identity when he left. I get chills remembering his last game, especially the last game in Canada (Ottawa).

Lemieux retiring kind of hurt too.

Wendel Clark's retirement in 2000.

Joseph leaving the Leafs in 2002, the THIRD team he had screwed over by leaving.

Canada losing the World Cup in '96 to USA. Tony Amonte's goal was a dagger in my heart in Game three. Then with a minute left Coffey to Gretzky and he mises an open net to tie the score. If that didnt signal the changing of the guards then I dont know what did. By '98 I was more mad than sad when Canada lost in Nagano. But in '96 I felt like a family member had died. Hockey was being taken over by the Americans I thought.

Old
12-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Hockey was being taken over by the Americans I thought.

Fortunately for Canadian hockey fans, it didn't turn out that way.

Old
12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Jokerit

The day Jeremy Roenick was traded from Chicago.

Old
12-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Higgy4

Honestly, I wasnt that sad when Fedorov left Detroit. I was upset at the fact that he was a terrific player and he would be missed by the team. But I simply didnt want a player on the Red Wings who didnt really want to be there.

My vote would have to be a recent one. Darren McCarty. Never the best, never the most talented. But he was a local boy (for the most part) who was playing for the team he grew up watching. He was HUGE in the community and he absolutely loved playing for the Red Wings. I was very sad the day the Wings bought him out. It was the right thing to do, mind you. But I was still sad to see him go.

His cup clinching goal in 1997 will forever be a big part of Red Wings history. What a goal!

Old
12-02-2005, 07:28 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

of those not yet mentioned

Sopel leaving Vancouver

He wasn't that great but I had an emotional attachment to him

Old
12-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Patrick Roy retiring.

Old
12-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Alan Jackson

Seeing Trevor Linden leave Vancouver was pretty tough. I had always hated Keenan, and hated him even more after that deal. I know Keenan got an excellent return, but I think Linden should have played his whole career in Vanocuver.

Old
12-02-2005, 10:02 PM
mymkovski

Any true Jets fan and Winnipegger will still get misty-eyed over the mere thought of Selanne being traded...the Finnish Flash was and still is an ICON in this great city...

Old
12-05-2005, 03:59 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Hasek leaving Buffalo. not so much that he left, but how he left. #1. Demanding a trade. #2. Giving a list of what teams he will go to. #3. Demanding that Buffalo not get too much compensation for him.

Now, in hindsight, Hasek felt he could not win a cup with the team in front of him. And he was right. When John Rigas was carried off in handcuffs, Dom was right. Still not too happy about the Buffalo bashing.

Old
01-14-2006, 03:48 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Being a fan of the Blues since the 90's, it has been a long strange trip.

In Order:
1. Brendan Shanahan...for the next 8 years or so, my motto was, KILL MIKE KEENAN.
2. Curtis Joseph...if you watched the (93?) playoff series again The Leafs, you know that he was the thing keeping us in that series.
3. Al MacInnis...what a blow, St. Louis won't recover on the blue line for probably 8 years.
4. Chris Pronger...I wasn't surprised, but I was. I think even when you hear the stories sometimes, it doesn't seem real.
5. Brett Hull...at the time, I was happy to see him gone. I was certain he was washed up and while he was never quite the same player as he was in 89-91 most Blues fans would have loved for him to retire a Blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Joseph leaving the Leafs in 2002, the THIRD team he had screwed over by leaving.
Joseph had a poor playoff in 94 against Dallas (or was that 95) and was given the heave-ho by Mike Keenan. I can't speak for the Oilers or Leafs fans, but Joseph did not screw The Blues.

Old
01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Pothier

As a Sens fan....

Jeff Friesen: Game 7 of the 2003 Eastern Conference Final....so close.

Old
01-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
When Selanne was traded to the Sharks for Steve Shiedls and Jeff "I'm too good for Anaheim" Friesen, I got upset, but it was somewhat expected since the team sucked.

Kariya turning down and then leaving the Ducks after making the Finals, to have a better shot at the Stanley with the Avs (making just 1,2 millions) was tremendous for every Duck fan.
I still hate him for that.
Same here.

I'm SO happy we got Selanne back!

Old
01-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox
I can't speak for the Oilers or Leafs fans, but Joseph did not screw The Blues.
Wasn't he dealt because he was holding out on the Blues?

Old
01-16-2006, 02:15 AM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
of those not yet mentioned

Sopel leaving Vancouver

He wasn't that great but I had an emotional attachment to him
There are quite a few that come to mind, Sopel absolutely being one of them, I was really attatched to that weird looking guy

Also, Linden being traded, Bure being traded (that was a hard one to swallow), and hitting the post in the 3rd period in game 7 of the cup finals in 94

Old
01-16-2006, 02:26 AM
Draft Guru

I was pissed to see both Marc Savard and Mike York dealt

Old
01-16-2006, 02:38 AM
JohnnyW10

Send a message via MSN to JohnnyW10
1. Nathan Lafyette hitting the cross bar in game7 of 94' finals, OMG CRY
2. The Big Ticket Pavel Bure leaving the Canucks
3. Linden leaving the Canucks
4. Kirk Mclean leaving the Canucks Cry!!!!! he was awesome

Old
01-16-2006, 03:16 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe
Believe it or not, the Leafs and Habs used to be my favourite two teams back in the day. When Sittler, MacDonald, Tiger ect were dealt, this little Leaf fan had his heart broken and I haven't liked the Leafs since.
Yup, ditto on the Leafs. I had been a Leafs fan since the 1958 season but the mistreatment of Lanny (traded to punish Sittler who would not waive his "no trade" clause) and Sittler later being traded was the final straw in the ballard Reign of Error.

The person responsible for turning me off the Leafs was owner Harold Ballard (aka Prince Hal, the owner with the prematurely orange hair, Evil Incarnate, etc.). For you young'uns who never endured Ballard (thank your lucky stars) here is an article that paints the picture.
http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article3760.html
or
http://www.city.saskatoon.sk.ca/org/...s/ballard.html

Old
01-16-2006, 03:29 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
1) Losing in tripple OT in Game 3 at the ESA to the Red Wings in 2002. Completely changed the momentum of the series. I'm honestly convinced that had the Canes won that game they would have won the series.

2) Gary Roberts leaving for Toronto. This one was especially hard to Canes fans since he was such a key part in the teams rise to playoff candidate status for the first part of the decade.

3) Keith Primeau. Accually he more pissed me off with this move then anything else. While the holdout led to us getting Brind'Amour out of the deal, his actions durring the holdout (diservedly) led to him being Public Enemy #1 to Canes fans for a while. The guy can't even touch the puck in Raleigh without being booed over 5 years later.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:25 AM
GarretJoseph*

When the Rangers trade Leetch, I was destroyed. Still trying to coup with it.

But the worst for me was when we shipped Adam Graves out, he bleed Ranger blue. He was a true NYR.

Another deal I hated was in the 94' cup run we traded Mike Gartner, He was at the time, one of my fav Ranges & he was sent packing for Anderson who did JACK in the playoffs. Gartner deserved a ring.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:38 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
- Any time the Avs got punted from the playoffs, 2002 was the most bitter though.
- Deader's career ending much too soon, just when he was coming into his own.
- Neely forced to retire early.
- Shanahan not ending up an Av...boy that would've been sweet.

Old
01-20-2006, 05:22 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air
Marian Hossa. I mean, so we did get Heater back, but the naive person I am I thought Hossa would be one of the absolute last to be traded, if the need arose. It didn't work out like that, and I am still missing his blonde head and soft hands. I'm only really slightly getting over it. And that's only because Heatley's so lovable.
I say the same thing, only in reverse. I really liked Heatley and was sad when he left. That does not in any way mean I don't absolutely love Hossa (and DeVries, for that matter), but I was definitely sad to see the Heater go.

Old
01-20-2006, 09:37 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Fredo Corleone

Old
01-20-2006, 10:56 PM
sehnsucht

-Fleury being traded. Broke my 11 year old heart. I still have huge posters of him all over my room. One of the greatest tragedies of the modern NHL, how he's ended up, had so much heart and was such a lightningbolt on the ice. Oh well, the return for him was pretty good.
-Morrison's goal in triple OT in game 6 of the Vancouver/Calgary quarters in 2004. Not huge in the long run but the greatest game I've ever been to (first playoff game I've ever been to) and the Flame's aborted comeback, as well as Niemo's crossbar in OT, will live forever in my mind. Game 6 of the Cup Finals wasn't close to being this heartbreaking. The Dome was the most animated I've ever seen and then it just died. Stupid Morrison.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Hockeycanada*

My heart was broken when Theo left Calgary. During my childhood, Theo was my favourite player on the Flames. I went to his summer hockey school, got a few autographs from him, and really enjoed watching him play.

Closed Thread