HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

2005-06 Goaltender Trivia Thread

Old
04-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I'll be at the Pepsi Center tonight where I'll hopefully get to see the Colorado debut of Jose Theodore. Peter Budaj may still get the start after a strong performance yesterday, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The injury carousel continues in the NHL nets, with Jason Bacashihua returning to St. Louis. Fellow youngsters Kari Lehtonen and Henrik Lundqvist are now sitting out with minor maladies.

----------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #10.19:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the opposing goaltender who finally earned a shootout victory over the Dallas Stars this season.
CORRECT ANSWER: On March 31, 2006, Jean-Sebastien Giguere and the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim finally broke the Stars' run of shootout success. Giguere stopped Antti Miettinen and Jussi Jokinen, while Rob Niedermayer and Jonathan Hedstrom beat Marty Turco as the Ducks took the victory in the quickest way possible.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This week, Henrik Lundqvist broke the New York Rangers' club record for victories by a rookie goaltender. Prior to Lundqvist, who previously held this mark?
CORRECT ANSWER: Lundqvist took the record from two pretty good goaltenders. In 1941-92, "Sugar" Jim Henry stepped in for the retired Davey Kerr to post twenty-nine wins for the Blueshirts. Twelve seasons later, Johnny Bower equalled Henry's win total. Bower was rewarded with a demotion to the minors the following year.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Working as a New York Rangers' statistician until 1986, this man was paid $100 per game when he had to appear in goal during a National Hockey League game. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Joe Schaefer, who mad two appearances in the New York nets, both as a result of injuries to Gump Worsley.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following goaltender:

CORRECT ANSWER: Kay Whitmore, the one-time top prospect of the Hartford Whalers. I'm currently under the impression that Whitmore is retired as an active player, although he did dress for three German league playoff games last spring.

Four contestants share the top of the leader board this week, and right behind them are a solid group.

APRIL 2006 LEADER BOARD:

Code:

1.  Ryan Angus              15
    Gary Balentine          15
    Mark Calandra           15
    Roger Maynard           15
5.  Tom Carlisle            10
    Jerry Kotzman           10
    Tom Mascioli            10
    Bryan McCready          10
    David Zetterman         10
10. Eric Pye                 8
Four weeks remaining for this season's trivia - as we get closer to the NHL playoffs, things could heat up!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TEN WEEK TWENTY (Answers due 10pm MDT 04/15/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender recently had his National Hockey League shutout streak stopped at 237 minutes, 39 seconds. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Last week, I asked about Henrik Lundqvist setting his club's record for wins by a rookie goaltender. Lundqvist has no chance to break the National Hockey League record in this category - who currently holds the mark?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the two goaltenders who made their big-league debuts by recording World Hockey Association shutouts.

Good luck!
Doug
http://hockeygoalies.org

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

I have playoff fever! Actually, after the full year without National Hockey League games, this upcoming weekend couldn't come soon enough for me.

Above all, the one thing I try to avoid when I send out trivia questions are typographical errors. Unfortunately, about once per season I still goof - maybe I need an editor! I nearly made it the entire 2005-06 campaign, but the two-pointer last week about the goaltender's shutout streak left out the crucial piece of information that the streak was against one team, the Boston Bruins.

Surprisingly, we have enough mindreaders in the audience that quite a few of you found the correct answer - abetted by the fact that I included the exact length of the streak. My apologies, and extra congraulations to those of you who figured it out regardless.

The strange thing is that I'd actually corrected the mistake before I sent it out, and then went and sent an intermediate version of the trivia when all was said and done. It wasn't until Roger Maynard pointed it out that I realized what I had actually sent. Mea culpa, and thanks to Roger for being on the spot with his eagle eyes!

In response to a (non-trivia) question I asked in last week's edition, Mike Taylor has informed me that Kay Whitmore is retired as a player, and is currently a commentator on TSN's NHL Network in Canada. Thanks, Mike!

Also, I'm blogging on myspace.com these days - I'm trying to not talk hockey for hockey's sake, and I'm trying to be comedic for the most part. I curse every now and then, so be forewarned, and I won't post the link here but it's pretty easy to find if you know my full name. If you can't find my full name, then you probably wouldn't find my comedy very funny anyhow.

Chris Mason of the Nashville Predators has been placed in a good position to show what he can do, albeit under unfortunate circumstances. Not only is Mason winning games, but on Saturday he was credited with a goal! It's the second career professional goal for Mason, who has a stern challenge ahead of him in the San Jose Sharks.

Let's get started with the answers!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #10.20:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender recently had his National Hockey League shutout streak stopped at 237 minutes, 39 seconds. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: It was a shutout streak against the Boston Bruins (not against the entire league), but Montreal's Cristobal Huet is the intended correct answer.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Last week, I asked about Henrik Lundqvist setting his club's record for wins by a rookie goaltender. Lundqvist has no chance to break the National Hockey League record in this category - who currently holds the mark?
CORRECT ANSWER: Terry Sawchuk set the mark in 1950-51 with an impressive forty-four victories for the Detroit Red Wings. Chicago's Ed Belfour came very close forty seasons later, falling just one win short in 1990-91.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the two goaltenders who made their big-league debuts by recording World Hockey Association shutouts.
CORRECT ANSWER: On December 29, 1973, Ron Grahame of the Houston Aeros blanked the Chicago Cougars by a 3-0 count. Nearly one year later, on December 14, 1974, San Diego's Bob Blanchet held the Indianapolis Racers off the scoreboard in a 2-0 win.

http://hockeygoalies.org/trivia/pict...ar10week20.jpg
CORRECT ANSWER: The original Mighty Duck star goaltender, Guy Hebert. Hebert minded the Anaheim nets for the first eight Mighty Duck seasons, setting franchise records in every category.

A tough week finds Roger Maynard all alone atop the leader boards! Three weeks to go, so there's plenty of time for someone to catch him (of course, there's also plenty of time for him to expand his lead).

APRIL 2006 LEADER BOARD:
Code:

1. Roger Maynard           30
2. Ryan Angus              25
   Gary Balentine          25
   Mark Calandra           25
5. Tom Mascioli            20
6. Jerry Kotzman           17
   David Zetterman         17
8. Tom Carlisle            10
   Bill Clare              10
   Bryan McCready          10
A special playoffs-only edition of Goaltender Trivia this week!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TEN WEEK TWENTY-ONE (Answers due 10pm MDT 04/22/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Most of you probably know that Patrick Roy holds the National Hockey League record with 151 victories in Stanley Cup play. Which goaltender did Roy take the record from?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Since the start of the National Hockey League, name the goaltender who appeared in the Stanley Cup playoffs (for at least one game) for the greatest number of consecutive seasons.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the most recent goaltender to make their National Hockey League debut in a Stanley Cup playoff game.

http://hockeygoalies.org/trivia/pict...ar10week21.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Old
04-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Some of you have commented on the website's performance recently - believe me, I'm as frustrated as anyone about the problems. My hosting service claims that it will be solved shortly - they're moving all of the servers right now - but especially during the playoffs it's frustrating as all get out (that's a down-home phrase that's a good substitute for cursing. Try it!)

Speaking of the playoffs, there have already been some great goaltending performances this year! Normally it'd be too late for my playoff predictions, but I made these on Thursday in another place. How do you know I'm not cheating on these? As bad as they already look, I think it'll be obvious:

Detroit over Edmonton (five games)
Dallas over Colorado (six games)
Anaheim over Calgary (six games)
San Jose over Nashville (six games)
Ottawa over Tampa Bay (six games)
Carolina over Montreal (five games)
New Jersey over New York (five games)
Buffalo over Philadelphia (five games)

So, yeah. I predicted two lower seeds to upset, and they're both behind in their series. On the other hand, my Carolina pick doesn't look too good.

The mysterious "lower body injury" to Jean-Sebastien Giguere certainly isn't helping my Anaheim pick, although Ilja Bryzgalov performed admirably in the Friday loss. I went back and looked at some game tape, and I can't figure out where Giguere hurt himself, so it must have happened in practice.

Let's get to the questions - some were pretty tough this week!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #10.21:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Most of you probably know that Patrick Roy holds the National Hockey League record with 151 victories in Stanley Cup play. Which goaltender did Roy take the record from?
CORRECT ANSWER: Roy set the mark on April 24, 1997, with his 89th postseason win. Billy Smith held the record at the time, with eighty-eight Stanley Cup victories for the New York Islanders. Smith led the league in playoff wins for five consecutive seasons, from 1980 until 1984.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Since the start of the National Hockey League, name the goaltender who appeared in the Stanley Cup playoffs (for at least one game) for the greatest number of consecutive seasons.
CORRECT ANSWER: Tony Esposito, who appeared for the Chicago Black Hawks each spring from 1970 through 1983. Esposito was twice thwarted in the Cup Finals, falling to his first NHL team (Montreal) in both 1971 and 1973.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the most recent goaltender to make their National Hockey League debut in a Stanley Cup playoff game.
CORRECT ANSWER: On April 9, 1989, the Pittsburgh Penguins were on the verge of a sweep, battering New York Ranger goaltenders John Vanbiesbrouck and Bob Froese in the first three games. For Game Four, the Rangers elected to go with untested Mike Richter, who had spent the year with Denver of the IHL. Richter stopped twenty-six shots, but could not stem the tide as the Penguins advanced with a 4-3 win.

http://hockeygoalies.org/trivia/pict...ar10week21.jpg
CORRECT ANSWER: Roger Crozier, who was not only the first goaltender to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as the NHL's playoff most valuable player, but the first winner from a team that did not win the Stanley Cup.

Roger extends his lead with two weeks to play!
Code:

APRIL 2006 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Roger Maynard           45
2.  Mark Calandra           38
3.  Ryan Angus              35
    Tom Mascioli            35
5.  Gary Balentine          25
6.  Jerry Kotzman           22
    David Zetterman         22
8.  Pete Hibbard            17
9.  Bill Clare              15
10. Erik Tarkon             13
A new round of all-playoff trivia this week - fortunately this year I was smart enough to save enough playoff questions for the playoff rounds!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TEN WEEK TWENTY-TWO (Answers due 10pm MDT 04/29/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Who holds the National Hockey League record for the greatest number of playoff appearances with the same franchise?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first goaltender to record an assist in the Stanley Cup Finals.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: It used to be customary for teams to replace an injured goaltender with someone in attendance. Name the last National Hockey League goaltender to serve in this fashion.

Good luck!
Doug

Old
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Thus far, I'm already wrong on one series - and as a Colorado Avalanche fan, I couldn't be happier! I just returned from watching game five at the local watering hole; I love playoff overtime on one condition: that my team not be involved. I can't stand overtimes involving the Avalanche (for obvious reasons).

Other than that, you've gotta love Dwayne Roloson's play against the Red Wings so far. Marty Brodeur has been dominant for the Devils, who are now in the second round. Joining him are two goaltenders who have overcome controversy to get to the conference semifinals, Ray Emery and Theodore.

The five-point question from last week is one of my favourite all-time Goaltender Trivia questions, and it's fun because I initially found it in one of my favourite hockey books. If you don't yet own Klein and Reif's Hockey Compendium, you should purchase it today:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...egoaltendhomep

Use the link above, and I get money which can be exchanged for goods and services! Seriously, though - this is the book that got me interested interested in the analysis of hockey, and it's safe to say that without Jeff Klein and Karl-Eric Reif, there would not be a Goaltender Home Page today.

Having said that, here we go!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #10.22:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Who holds the National Hockey League record for the greatest number of playoff appearances with the same franchise?
CORRECT ANSWER: New Jersey's Martin Brodeur has played (as of this writing) 148 games in the Stanley Cup playoffs, all with the Devils. His current record stands at 88 wins and 60 losses, with three Cup titles to his credit.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first goaltender to record an assist in the Stanley Cup Finals.
CORRECT ANSWER: On May 17, 1979, in Game Three of the Stanley Cup between Montreal and the New York Rangers, Canadiens goaltender Ken Dryden earned an secondary assist on Jacques Lemaire's goal, putting Montreal ahead by a 4-1 score (and completing the longest sentence in Goaltender Trivia history). Steve Shutt had the other assist on the goal.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: It used to be customary for teams to replace an injured goaltender with someone in attendance. Name the last National Hockey League goaltender to serve in this fashion.
CORRECT ANSWER: On March 29, 1964, in Detroit's semifinal series against the Chicago Black Hawks, Red Wing starter Terry Sawchuk was injured and had to leave the game. Central League goaltender Bob Champoux was found in the stands to replace Sawchuk, but the long delay on the nationally televised game proved to be an embarrassment for the league. In the 1964 offseason, the NHL enacted a rule mandating that teams dress two goaltenders for each game.

CORRECT ANSWER: Keeping in line with the recent "playoff theme", this is the last goaltender to captain his team to a Stanley Cup, Montreal netminder Bill Durnan. You can also notice Durnan's interesting gloves in this photo.

One week to go, and Roger Maynard maintains his seven-point lead. Can he hold on for his first career title?

Code:

APRIL 2006 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Roger Maynard           57
2.  Tom Mascioli            50
3.  Mark Calandra           48
4.  Ryan Angus              35
    Gary Balentine          35
6.  Pete Hibbard            29
    Jerry Kotzman           29
8.  David Zetterman         27
9.  Bill Clare              20
10. Erik Tarkon             13
This is it, folks! The last goaltender trivia of the year - so get your answers in! It's been a lot of fun this season, and I'm already looking forward to 2006-07; I need the rest, though.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TEN WEEK TWENTY-THREE (Answers due 10pm MDT 05/06/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the last team to win the Stanley Cup with more than one goaltender earning a postseason victory.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Dwayne Roloson and the Edmonton Oilers have two chances to knock off the top-seeded Detroit Red Wings in this year's playoffs. Since the advent of the current conference-based playoff system, name the first goaltender on a eighth-seeded team to eliminiate a top-seeded team in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the last right-catch goaltender (trapper glove on his right hand) to win the Stanley Cup as a number-one goaltender.

Good luck!
Doug

Old
05-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

First things first - congratulations to Roger Maynard, who takes home the April 2006 trivia title with a 72-point month! This is Maynard's first career championship, and it was well-earned.

The Goaltender Home Page appears to be running at full speed once again, although I'm noticing a lot of issues with the front page image map. If a link appears not to work, keep trying - I'm dealing with my hosting company on the matter. IF THIS WEREN'T A TEXT MEDIUM, I WOULD BE SCREAMING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, but since it is, I have to settle for typing in all caps.

How about Cam Ward! I've been a fan of his since he was a Red Deer Rebel, but I didn't think he'd even get the chance to participate in this spring's playoffs.

Ordinarly I'd be brimming with Bryzgalov fever, but for two things - one, I'm a huge J-S Giguere fan, and two, he's playing against my Avalanche. He's been impressive thus far - today's game is about to start, and I'm hoping for multiple overtimes.

Let's get to the last set of answers in 2005-06...

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #10.23:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the last team to win the Stanley Cup with more than one goaltender earning a postseason victory.
CORRECT ANSWER: In 1991, the Pittsburgh Penguins won their first Cup with Tom Barrasso earning twelve victories and Frank Pietrangelo earning four. Some of you may remember Pietrangelo's Game Seven performance on April 15, when he stopped twenty-seven New Jersey Devil shots in a 4-0 victory.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Dwayne Roloson and the Edmonton Oilers have two chances to knock off the top-seeded Detroit Red Wings in this year's playoffs. Since the advent of the current conference-based playoff system, name the first goaltender on a eighth-seeded team to eliminate a top-seeded team in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
CORRECT ANSWER: This question was more vague than it needed to be, but the answer depends on whether you consider the switch from four to six divisions to be part of the "current" conference-based system. In 1994, Arturs Irbe and the San Jose Sharks knocked off the Detroit Red Wings, while in 1999 Tom Barrasso and the Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the New Jersey Devils.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the last right-catch goaltender (trapper glove on his right hand) to win the Stanley Cup as a number-one goaltender.
CORRECT ANSWER: It's an all-Barrasso day so far! Tom Barrasso won the 1991 and 1992 Stanley Cups with the Penguins. Prior to that, Grant Fuhr won multiple Cups with Edmonton in the 1980s. As an Avalanche fan, I'm hoping that we can have another this season.

CORRECT ANSWER: The winner of the 1974 and 1975 Conn Smythe Trophies as postseason most valuable player, this is Philadelphia's Bernie Parent.

Roger pulls away to win by nine points. Congratulations to him, as well as to everyone who played!

Code:

APRIL 2006 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Roger Maynard           72
2.  Mark Calandra           63
3.  Tom Mascioli            60
4.  Gary Balentine          50
5.  Jerry Kotzman           42
6.  Pete Hibbard            41
7.  Ryan Angus              35
8.  David Zetterman         32
9.  Bill Clare              30
10. Alex Kozuszko           22
I will say that I was hesitant about restarting Goaltender Trivia last fall - it's a lot of effort, and it's usually on the weekends. But looking back, I'm very glad of my decision because you all made it a lot of fun, and a lot of learning, for me. We had more participants this year than in any previous season, and everyone was great.

I've already got nineteen questions ready for next season, and I'm ready for October already. Nothing's ever 100 percent, but I think I'll be rarin' to go for Year Eleven. Hope you'll be there, too!

Thanks again, and I'll be online through the summer if you need anything or want to talk hockey.

Doug