HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

'88 Olympics

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
'88 Olympics

We're not far from the Olympics in Turin, which I'm really looking forward to. That got me thinking of my earliest hockey memories: being a 9 year-old Finnish/American kid living in England watching the '88 Olympics.

What I remember very clearly is the play of a gutsy US team, particularly Mike Richter and Chris Terreri, and the outstanding play of Jarmo Myllys.

I particularly remember the US playing their hearts out to make a game of it in a high-scoring loss to the USSR (I think it was something like 7-5 in the end). I also remember Jarmo Myllys absolutely stoning Canada in a win for the Finns (I think it was 3-1 or something). (English announcer: "he's like magician! You think they've scored but he just waves his hand and the puck's in his glove!

I was wondering if anyone else had any memories, recollections or stories from the Calgary Olympics?

(Perhaps we could even start threads for other Olympiads in the run-up to Torino '06)

Last edited by 007: 11-30-2005 at 12:08 AM.
Old
11-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Aside from the sexy figure skater Katarina Witt , my one endearing memory is hockey related. Both the Isles and Rangers had a young prospect dman playing for Team USA. Brian Leetch came into the Olympics much more heralded, but the Isles Jeff Norton outplayed him in Calgary. As an NYI fan, I was jazzed.

Then the Olympics ended...and both entered the NHL.

In his first game, at MSG vs. St. Louis, Leetch looked like an elite 10-year vet. He's never looked back.

Meanwhile, Norton has been out of the league for years.

So it goes....

Last edited by Trottier: 11-30-2005 at 12:23 AM.
Old
11-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Heat McManus

I remember I was six and not yet into hockey. I was visiting my dad's family in Delaware and they were all pissed because we were losing again to the Commies.

Old
11-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Ogopogo*

I remember not caring about the Olympic hockey tournament because all of Canada's best players were in the NHL. Team Canada was captained by Ken Berry and a very young Sean Burke was the starting goaltender. The only NHLer on the squad was Jim Peplinski, who was loaned to the Olympic team by the Calgary Flames.

Until 1998, Olympic hockey was a complete waste of time. It had nothing to do with global supremacy, it was simply an exhibition tournament for players not talented enough to play in the NHL. I remember being more interested in Elizabeth Manley's figure skating than the hockey tournament.

Old
11-30-2005, 06:39 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
I remember not caring about the Olympic hockey tournament because all of Canada's best players were in the NHL. Team Canada was captained by Ken Berry and a very young Sean Burke was the starting goaltender. The only NHLer on the squad was Jim Peplinski, who was loaned to the Olympic team by the Calgary Flames.

Until 1998, Olympic hockey was a complete waste of time. It had nothing to do with global supremacy, it was simply an exhibition tournament for players not talented enough to play in the NHL. I remember being more interested in Elizabeth Manley's figure skating than the hockey tournament.
I would argue that quite many of the players in the Olympics in the past (70ies, 80ies) were easily talented enough to play in the NHL. However, the Iron Courtain was there, stopping many of them from coming over, whereas many players from the Scandinavian countries didn't yet consider a career in North America as an option. Guys like Salming, Hagman et al. made them realize the possibility and their numbers started to slowly increase (and NHL managers also opened their eyes).

Calling the Olympics of the past exhibition tourneys is a vast exaggeration. While the Olympics were no exhibition tournaments, they obviously weren't best on best either, as NA teams did not have their best players there.

Old
11-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Marcus-74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
We're not far from the Olympics in Turin, which I'm really looking forward to. That got me thinking of my earliest hockey memories: being a 9 year-old Finnish/American kid living in England watching the '88 Olympics.

What I remember very clearly is the play of a gutsy US team, particularly Mike Richter and Chris Terreri, and the outstanding play of Jarmo Myllys.

I particularly remember the US playing their hearts out to make a game of it in a high-scoring loss to the USSR (I think it was something like 7-5 in the end). I also remember Jarmo Myllys absolutely stoning Canada in a win for the Finns (I think it was 3-1 or something). (English announcer: "he's like magician! You think they've scored but he just waves his hand and the puck's in his glove!

I was wondering if anyone else had any memories, recollections or stories from the Calgary Olympics?

(Perhaps we could even start threads for other Olympiads in the run-up to Torino '06)
I remember that Finnish TV showed the Finland - Soviet Union game (in which the Russians gave us Finns a late Christmas gift = Silver medal) tape-delayed, and I had already heard the result, so there was no excitement, really

But it was still fun to watch it though, even with the late Antero Karapalo calling the game

Last edited by Marcus-74: 11-30-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old
11-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-74
I remember that Finnish TV showed the Finland - Soviet Union game (in which the Russians gave us Finns a late Christmas gift = Silver medal) tape-delayed, and I had already heard the result, so there was no excitement, really

But it was still fun to watch it though, even with the late Antero Karapalo calling the game
Late Antero Karapalo? To my knowledge he isn't dead.

"Susi...Mylnikov haparoi...Lehtonen ohjaa, Lehtonen ohjaa!"

Old
11-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Marcus-74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
Late Antero Karapalo? To my knowledge he isn't dead.

"Susi...Mylnikov haparoi...Lehtonen ohjaa, Lehtonen ohjaa!"
Yes he is... I think he died about five years ago or something. It wasn´t exactly first-page news, but I remember reading it somewhere (Helsingin Sanomat?).

Closed Thread