HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thornton- what could we have given up?

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2005, 11:21 AM
KoopsKings

vCash: 500
Thornton- what could we have given up?

Obviously the thornton trade has worked out well for san jose... and he landed just down the road from us. They gave up 3 average players for a prominent centre in the league. He would of fit perfectly with a thornton conroy 1-2 punch. We already have a lot of centres in our system, but what would you of traded for him? I think dempsey, armstrong and cammaleri and a 2nd round pick would of been good for both teams. Armstrong has proven he can play centre and he would be #2 behind bergeron. i threw the second round in because sturm is a proven goal scorer, cammaleri will be but hes un proven at the nhl level. The kings need a dominant big man down the middle thornton would of been perfect.

Old
12-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Haik

Sam Jose did not trade average players. Sterm in a top line winger, Stuart is a top pairing defensemen and Primeau is one of the better checking centers. Not to mention both Sterm and Stuart are still young.

Dempsy is a #7 defensemen and Armstrong is a 4th liner.

To answer your question the Kings could have given up Cammy, Grebs, and a marginal NHLer. But the Bruins would want something more like Brown + Gleason +Belanger. Didn't happen...get over it.

Old
12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopsKings
They gave up 3 average players for a prominent centre in the league. He would of fit perfectly with a thornton conroy 1-2 punch. We already have a lot of centres in our system, but what would you of traded for him? I think dempsey, armstrong and cammaleri and a 2nd round pick would of been good for both teams. Armstrong has proven he can play centre and he would be #2 behind bergeron. .
Yikes!

12-08-2005, 11:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Armstrong sucks. The Bruins wouldn't want him. He's going to play ahead of Bergeron and Zhamnov? He's better than Sturm or Primeau? No.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-08-2005, 11:53 AM
weaponomega

My guess is the Bruins probably would've wanted something along the lines of Gleason, Frolov...

And I'm sure that Kings fans wouldn't do that.

Old
12-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice
Yikes!
Concur

The Sharks gave up 1 average player in Primeau. Stuart is very far from average as is Sturm

Old
12-08-2005, 01:12 PM
willie

Quote:
I think dempsey, armstrong and cammaleri and a 2nd round pick would of been good for both teams.
No need to eloborate much. Let's just say they would prefer SJ's package.

A similar package from the Kings would probably be something like Brown, Visnovsky & Belanger. But I think the Kings would probably still have to add to it as I think Boston would prefer the size of Primeau/Stuart over Vis/Belanger.

Thornton would have been a terrific addition, even giving up those assets (though our defense would be reliant on Grebs to fill Vis' role ), but I'd prefer to spend the money elsewhere.

Old
12-08-2005, 01:16 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega
My guess is the Bruins probably would've wanted something along the lines of Gleason, Frolov...

And I'm sure that Kings fans wouldn't do that.
Frolov alone is worth more than San Jose's package, IMO. All factors considered, a Frolov/Thornton swap would have been just as fair for Boston but I think they wanted a very good defenseman in return.

Old
12-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
Frolov alone is worth more than San Jose's package, IMO. All factors considered, a Frolov/Thornton swap would have been just as fair for Boston but I think they wanted a very good defenseman in return.
Agreed

I think the age of Frolov being in every trade rummor with the Kings has got to end. Frolov is our franchise player for the next decade. Unless someone clones Wayne we are not trading him.

Also Sharks gave up some damn good young talent. Boston gave up the name but the Sharks sure has heck payed for it...

Old
12-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Venom_17

Average players? That is laughable. Stuart and Sturm were the Shark's top dman and winger, respectively. From that perspective, I can't see anything less than Gleason and Frolov and probably a Belanger/Armstrong type if we got Joe. I wouldn't make that trade!

Old
12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Stuart was having a bad year...he was acquired based on potential and reputation alone...Sturm is a typical 2nd line LW....20-25 goal scorer....Boston probably wanted him because of his youth and are hoping his speed would make him effective in the new NHL...Primeau is a spare part....IMO, a terrible deal...though probably the best that was out there....

Old
12-08-2005, 04:14 PM
KoopsKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik

Sam Jose did not trade average players. Sterm in a top line winger, Stuart is a top pairing defensemen and Primeau is one of the better checking centers. Not to mention both Sterm and Stuart are still young.

Dempsy is a #7 defensemen and Armstrong is a 4th liner.

To answer your question the Kings could have given up Cammy, Grebs, and a marginal NHLer. But the Bruins would want something more like Brown + Gleason +Belanger. Didn't happen...get over it.
Sure hes a 1st line forward, but should he be? never hit 50 points and never hit 30 goals, in 7 years! hes above average yes, but he puts up average stats. i know stuart is better then dempsey, but the past couple years stuart has had a slight edge in the stats, and theyve both been riddled by injuries.Hes only the 7 defencemen in la cause hes in the doghouse. But maybe gleason would even up the deal instead of dempsey, how long are u gonna wait on sturm having a break out season, sure he'll hit 50 points this season, but who wont.

Old
12-08-2005, 04:17 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

LA has the roster players and prospects to acquire basically anyone in the league. I would not make a big move with this team (besides bringing in a solid #3-4 defenseman) and let this team grow in the coming years.. hopefully into something special.

Old
12-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Sure hes a 1st line forward, but should he be? never hit 50 points and never hit 30 goals, in 7 years! hes above average yes, but he puts up average stats. i know stuart is better then dempsey, but the past couple years stuart has had a slight edge in the stats, and theyve both been riddled by injuries.Hes only the 7 defencemen in la cause hes in the doghouse. But maybe gleason would even up the deal instead of dempsey, how long are u gonna wait on sturm having a break out season, sure he'll hit 50 points this season, but who wont.
SJ plays a very defensive system. His numbers will rise in Boston.

Stuart>>>>>>>>>>>Dempsey

Old
12-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Venom_17

50 points is average? What is this, a beer league?

Sure its no all-star total...but 50 points is a solid 2nd line contribution. I would put the average at more around 35.

Old
12-09-2005, 01:21 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
Stuart was having a bad year...he was acquired based on potential and reputation alone...Sturm is a typical 2nd line LW....20-25 goal scorer....Boston probably wanted him because of his youth and are hoping his speed would make him effective in the new NHL...Primeau is a spare part....IMO, a terrible deal...though probably the best that was out there....
Said it perfect!

The younger of the Primeau's has been a laughing stock for years. Now he's a top third line player? Wrong brother! Tough yes, but he'll be gone in a few years.
Sturm has great wheels but has been underachieving since he broke his leg. To top it off he's never had more than 50 pts! Brad Stuart...........well let's just say he's been riding the Brad Stuart name card over anything! I'd take Visnovsky over Stuart if I was a fan of any other team. Stuart had great defense around him, a-la Calgary and great goaltending.
Again!San Jose got robbed..........slice it any way you want. Other teams including us could have given a better package...

Old
12-09-2005, 01:21 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

am i the only one thinking Boston may have given SJ the division...

Old
12-09-2005, 01:36 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
No, you're not!

SJ now builds around the best two way punch in the league! Both beyond marketable. Boston pushed the panic button, and Dougie Wilson is still laughing. What makes me mad is that other options were out there for the B's. If you're going to trade one of top three centers in the world, it better bring some brilliance back. SJ is now 4 and 0 with Big Joe! I guess AM can kiss *** some more about SJ.

Old
12-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Possibly, because L.A. and Dallas still need to give SJ the division. That's easily within L.A.'s power, but I have faith in Dallas. Besides, don't forget that the Bruins were stinking this season with Thornton. Some people are really over-reacting to the Thornton trade.

Closed Thread