HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Blame Cloutier

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Thalia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
It is amazing how people forget how Cloutier stood in his head in the 3rd to keep the games close. Where are the complaints on Naslund? No points in 3 games.. Bertuzzi has 1 goal.. I'm starting to think Cloutier could have 10 shutouts in a row and then let in one bad goal and people would still be all over him because they have nothing better to do.
I like Dan and I like the fact that he's got a nasty streak but I don't like it when he loses his temper so easily and then his composure. Add that into his poor puckhandling skills, well, it just makes me nervous when he's in net.

It's only his second game of the season... why is he so damn uptight out there? Relax man. No need to yap at the home team's bench over some trivial matter... be professional.

I betcha Hedberg was grinning like the Chesire Cat on the bench tonight... just waiting ever so patiently so he can pounce on Cloutier's job.

Any guesses as to who Crow goes with for the next game?

Old
10-13-2003, 07:38 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
This game is Cloutier fault.

i think Crawford should start Cloutier again next game against The Red Wings and see if Cloutier can bound back with a strong effort. Either ways, Hedberg will get the start against the Wild.
I wonder how many games Danny will play this season.......I think the team does not have that much confidence when he is in net....so it is not all his fault.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
I wonder how many games Danny will play this season.......I think the team does not have that much confidence when he is in net....so it is not all his fault.

The early assumption seems to be that Cloutier will get around 50 games as a starter, but that can obviously be changed throughout the season much than how Dipetro already replaced Snow although Snow was assumed as #1 goalie.

As far as the confidence goes, i don't think it is so much that the team in front of hate to play for Cloutier or anything like that. On the other hand, the facts are Cloutier has a terrible temper and stick handling skill both of which are very important aspects of being a good goalie nowadays. For example, if you have a good puck handling like Martin Brodeur it is like a extra defenceman that take a lot of pressure off the rest of the team and avoid unnecessary mistake. And Cloutier bad temper is a problem in term of the other team trying to be physical with him and get him off his game. A lot of people though he would have improved on those two aspects of the game, but obviously he has not, in that regard it is very disappointing.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:47 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
How so?

I do agree that Cloutier should shoulder some of the blame on this one. He let his emotions get the better of him and took a stupid penalty. He then let in a soft goal. He played well for the majority of the game, but that penalty and ensuing goal looked like it took some of the wind out of the Canucks' sails.

That said, this game wasn't lost by Cloutier. The 2nd and 3rd goals were of no fault to Cloutier.
how so? when we get Cloutier bashing topics appearing on the board. i don't care if he could have played better or not, we should be above that type of thing and have never done so in the past.

besides my point wasn't saying whether the topic was merrited or not, simply pointing out the fact that it made the forum resemble the Canucks.com forum.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:53 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
The early assumption seems to be that Cloutier will get around 50 games as a starter, but that can obviously be changed throughout the season much than how Dipetro already replaced Snow although Snow was assumed as #1 goalie.

As far as the confidence goes, i don't think it is so much that the team in front of hate to play for Cloutier or anything like that. On the other hand, the facts are Cloutier has a terrible temper and stick handling skill both of which are very important aspects of being a good goalie nowadays. For example, if you have a good puck handling like Martin Brodeur it is like a extra defenceman that take a lot of pressure off the rest of the team and avoid unnecessary mistake. And Cloutier bad temper is a problem in term of the other team trying to be physical with him and get him off his game. A lot of people though he would have improved on those two aspects of the game, but obviously he has not, in that regard it is very disappointing.
At least Cloutier is not getting booed by Vancouver fans, in contrast to Breezer and some hab fans at the game

Old
10-13-2003, 07:54 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
At least Cloutier is not getting booed by Vancouver fans, in contrast to Breezer and some hab fans at the game

Btw the game was played in Columbus, not saying the Canucks fans would boo him, but even if the Canucks fans choose to, they did not have the chance to do so.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Pangolin

I don't think it's suppose to be a penalty though...Or at least Spacek should have gotten one as well if Clouts did...
It was clear that when Cloutier went to the bench he was going to the bench, and when Spacek said something, Clouts turned 45 degree to Spacek and the Jackets' bench. And Clouts didn't do anything Spacek didn't do...

Old
10-13-2003, 08:02 PM
nazzy

Guys it's only three games into the regular season, don't get too worked up about one loss. :p Cloutier's first goal was a little soft but the other two he didn't have much of a chance at, he also played well to give the Canucks a chance to tie but they're the ones that ****ed up. Putting Slegr on waivers? That's rediculous, he just played one poor game and looked quite good in the other game. I think Cloutier deserves the start in Detroit to get a chance to bounce back, some of you are making it sound like he played horrendous tonight. I was surprised to see King scratched honestly, and the Sedins didn't really have anyone to play with that could finish (Ruutu and May won't do). But calm down and just hope for the best in the next.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Impossibles

Game 3 and there is already a "blame cloutier" thread?

We lost 3-2 because the blue jackets just plain played harder. They managed to sustain pressure in our zone, and our forwards didn't score when they had the chance.

It's hockey...last time I remember, no team has gone 82-0.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:59 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Even though its only 3rd game into the season, I'd say the team's confidence level in front of Cloutier is shaking, and yayaya, only 3 games, but each game is a little chip off the team confidence.

I dont know, but in that game Hedberg played, team looks muchmore confident too.. ya, its only one game, we will see when Hedberg starts 10 games.

I like Cloutier since his days in NYR, but confidence is shaking after last couple year's playoff run...

Old
10-13-2003, 09:20 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Btw the game was played in Columbus, not saying the Canucks fans would boo him, but even if the Canucks fans choose to, they did not have the chance to do so.
Yes I know the game was played in Columbus since I did watch a 3rd period I am curious how Canuck fans will react to him if he performs poorly at home....will they continue to support or get on him? Time will tell

Old
10-13-2003, 11:08 PM
ttr

A **** DO RILE

that's an anagram for dan the man

Old
10-13-2003, 11:10 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Obviously there have been only three games, but it's starting to look to me like Hedburgs' style of play is more suited to the Canucks. When Cloutier's in the net, teams know they can dump the puck in and have a fair chance of either retrieving the puck or putting allot of pressure on the D, possibley forcing a turnover. With Hedburg that is much less an option, and as we know, when the Canucks have puck possetion, they attack like crazy. I just think the team D looks a whole lot better with a guy who can play the puck well. My guess is Burke et al looked at how they lost to Minny and figured that might be the best way to beat the trap.

Old
10-13-2003, 11:20 PM
orcatown

I think those cautions about scapegoating Cloutier are well considered. However it does bother me that the fans, the team and management are constantly expected to bouy up Cloutier's confidence. To hell with that. He's 27 years old and is getting 2.5 mill. to play goal. He needs to grow up and take on the reponsibility of his own maturity. That includes keeping his focus entirely on the play. Nothing should at this point, and at this age, distract him.

He needs to take responsibility for his actions and make no excuses for his mistakes. If he expects to be coddled he should find another line of work. If he expects to make 2.5 mill. he should recognize that criticism and expectations come with the territory.

The loss today should not be blamed solely on him. Nor should we get over-reactive and write him off as done. However his actions in chirping at the Columbus bench were totally juvenile and inexcuseable. They showed that he had his mind on other things than stopping the puck. He owes the fans, his teammates and himself and heck of lot more professionalism than that. Danny its time to answer the bell.

Old
10-13-2003, 11:45 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
Danny its time to answer the bell.
As said by Tom and Shorty... the Canucks had the game in controll untill Cloutier lost his temper. It's all good to support our goaltender but we have been supporting him for the last 3 years. If he cann't controll his anger then it's a problem.

Old
10-14-2003, 03:52 AM
tantalum

Quote:
The loss today should not be blamed solely on him. Nor should we get over-reactive and write him off as done. However his actions in chirping at the Columbus bench were totally juvenile and inexcuseable. They showed that he had his mind on other things than stopping the puck. He owes the fans, his teammates and himself and heck of lot more professionalism than that. Danny its time to answer the bell.
You might not believe it but we agree! IMO the last thing the coaching staff should do is start Cloutier against the Wings. It is past time to prop up his confidence and hope he can rebound by giving him the next game. He has the big money and he should have the necessary experience at this time to not let a small bump behind the net affect him to the point of skating to the bench and yapping...especially when the refs had already called Columbus on a goaltender interference penalty earlier in the game to show they were paying attention. Which I'm sure was a mitigating factor in Cloutier getting the two minutes for unsportsmanlike...he was making it look like the refs had missed something and were embarassing them.

Was he the sole reason for the loss? No he wasn't, but he was a major reason for the loss as was Slegr. And just like Slegr will have his ass planted in the pressbox against the Wings it's time to stop coddling Cloutier by giving him the next start when there is another capable goaltender. Cloutier should get a spot on the bench against the Wings and know that his stupid actions (not just the soft goals) have a consequence this year. Perhaps that will finally get it to sink in, though I wouldn't hold my breath on that. And let's be honest the players in front of him have got to be getting sick of it as well.

Old
10-14-2003, 05:24 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Broken record, i know what you mean, everyone dislikes him in vancouver, i liked his attitude but his play stinks, Canuck's should have started Hedberg.
The thing is, I'm a Cloutier fan, I just believe that it's time we start making him accountable for his actions. I say we start him against the Wings, these are the games he usually performs well in (the busy ones), if he is in fact our starter we give him a chance to fully loose his job. Really though, we should remember this game as strike one for this season. I'm not sure how many strikes he gets, I think that depends on how good Hedberg looks in his occasional starts, but this was the first, if he doesn't get his act together soon he'll be riding the pine and my hockey pool will go down in flames.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Thalia

Quote:
I think those cautions about scapegoating Cloutier are well considered. However it does bother me that the fans, the team and management are constantly expected to bouy up Cloutier's confidence. To hell with that. He's 27 years old and is getting 2.5 mill. to play goal. He needs to grow up and take on the reponsibility of his own maturity. That includes keeping his focus entirely on the play. Nothing should at this point, and at this age, distract him.

He needs to take responsibility for his actions and make no excuses for his mistakes. If he expects to be coddled he should find another line of work. If he expects to make 2.5 mill. he should recognize that criticism and expectations come with the territory.

I'd say that 'bout sums it up imo. Well said.

I'm hoping (but not holding my breath as someone else already said) that Cloutier learns from his mistakes. He is sitting very precariously as number one right now and it's his position to lose.

He needs to calm down, take a deep breath and focus entirely on keeping pucks out of the net instead of worrying about all the little goings on of the opposing players and the refs.

If he can't stay focused for 60 minutes in his second game while knowing that Hedberg is just sitting there waiting for him to fail; if that doesn't make someone want to prove they're number one, nothing will imo. Well, Crow could always try Ritalin maybe... it seems to work well for other unfocused kids.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Phelo

This loss was on Cloutier, though the comments regarding the need of more offense from Nazzy etc also have merit.

Cloutier should be given his chance to redeem himself....after the Detroit game. I think his emotional reaction last game was unprofessional and he should pay for it by riding the pine the next game.

Plus, I was really impressed with Hedberg's ability to play the puck on Saturday, though in truth there were a couple moments when he nearly gave it away while trying to do a pass.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy
Guys it's only three games into the regular season, don't get too worked up about one loss. :p Cloutier's first goal was a little soft but the other two he didn't have much of a chance at, he also played well to give the Canucks a chance to tie but they're the ones that ****ed up. Putting Slegr on waivers? That's rediculous, he just played one poor game and looked quite good in the other game. I think Cloutier deserves the start in Detroit to get a chance to bounce back, some of you are making it sound like he played horrendous tonight. I was surprised to see King scratched honestly, and the Sedins didn't really have anyone to play with that could finish (Ruutu and May won't do). But calm down and just hope for the best in the next.
What do you mean "don't get too worked up about one loss"? Do you not realize that 164 points this season is now totally impossible & we will have to now have to wait a whole year to start over again!. This loss totally wipes out the season for me. Three games into the season & I've already lost my $0.85 bet that the Canucks would go undefeated this year. What is this world coming to!

Old
10-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
Why does Cloutier insist on skating to the bench during every TV time out anyway? He does this constantly! Crawford should tell him to stay put like almost every other goaltender out there, drink some water, and watch the pretty girls push the brooms around the ice. Geez.
superstition (good luck habit) & allows him to move around & loosen up.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Thalia

I came accross this comment on another board and thought it was pretty funny. I don't consider myself a Cloutier basher by any means but I know there are plenty of them out there and obviously this guy/gal is one.

Still, it was an 'entertaining' read nonetheless so I'm sharing it here for no other reason than it gave me a chuckle. Must be that offbeat humour of mine kicking into action again.

----------------

As a new season dawns for the Vancouver Canucks, I'd like to take the time to apologize for my dismal performance as a fan in the 2002/03 season.

In many ways the epic playoff failure of the 'Nucks against the Wild last season was largely my fault. And I fully accept the blame. I acknowledge the responsibility. I'll take the fall. I'll hold the bag. I admit I goofed. I am so very, very, very sorry.

My sin?

Well, as a fan . . . I simply should have done more to run Dan Cloutier out of town.

I could have booed the loser more at games. I could have waived a "Death to Cloutier" banner in front of the cameras during HNIC. I could have led other fans in a ceremonial burning of Cloutier in effigy.

I could have flooded the radio talk show airwaves with bitter anti-Cloutier bile. I could have sent nasty letters to Brian Burke. I could have pissed on Cloutier's luggage more often.

I could have driven donuts on his lawn with my motorcycle. I could have egged his house. I could have strangled his cat. I could have seduced his wife. I could have had my kids make fun of his kids in school, not share sandwiches with them, ridicule their lunchboxes . . . you know, the small cruelties that often hurt the most.

I could have made more fun of his outrageous accent. I could have made more of those prank phone calls late at night ("Hey, Dan. Is your refrigerator running?"). I could have initiated a city-wide billboard advertising campaign against him ("Just leave Dan. Now. For your own safety . . .").

I could have arranged for a few more cross burnings with the local chapter of the Klu Klux Klan (Lord knows, we have enough of them going on in this Province. Why even as I speak they're probably at it in Price George . . . ).

I could have organized a national plebiscite calling for the revocation of his citizenship. A world day of protest and firebombings against the universal menace that is Cloutier was probably called for . . .

But no.

I'm sorry fellas. I got weak in the knees.

He just plain fooled me with that performance in November. I'm sorry. I shoulda seen through it.

But it's a new season.

And this year I won't make the same mistake again.

This year I promise to be on his case every game, every misplayed rebound and every scoring opportunity he creates through his poor positioning.

No matter how well he might play on a given night or over a string of games, I'll still be down on him.

Because we all know - deep down in our hearts we can't help but recognize - that if we give Cloutier the opportunity he'll sink us in the end. Just like he has each of the last three years.

Remember Dan. I'll be out there all season, waiting to pounce on your slightest miscue, to humiliate you at every opportunity . . . and to steal your fries if left unattended.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:06 AM
cc

I think it was a mistake for Crow to pencil Cloutier in against Columbus. Some goalies seem to play worse against some teams than others and Clouts record last year against them showed that. In retrospect, it would have been better to play Clouts against both Calgary and Edmonton, and save Columbus for Hedberg. Potentially, the Canucks could have a two goalie system similar to what the Wild have.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Impossibles

This thread is the reason why i hate being a canuck fan sometimes.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:13 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc
I think it was a mistake for Crow to pencil Cloutier in against Columbus. Some goalies seem to play worse against some teams than others and Clouts record last year against them showed that. In retrospect, it would have been better to play Clouts against both Calgary and Edmonton, and save Columbus for Hedberg. Potentially, the Canucks could have a two goalie system similar to what the Wild have.

So by finding favorable matchup for Cloutier even against a non-playoff team such as Columbus, are we babysitting Clouteri again? i thought we are pass that by now, i mean he is 27 years old afterall.

Closed Thread