HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs' COLLEGE/JUNIORS Prospects Update

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Necrophile

vCash: 500
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6451

There is a certain "K. Staal" mentionned among Habs prospects in this article about Habs' prospects' improvement. Is this just an error in the article, or do the Habs really own the rights to this "K. Staal"? If he's ours, is he the brother/cousin of Eric Staal? Some info would be much appreciated.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile

There is a certain "K. Staal" mentionned among Habs prospects in this article about Habs' prospects' improvement. Is this just an error in the article, or do the Habs really own the rights to this "K. Staal"? If he's ours, is he the brother/cousin of Eric Staal? Some info would be much appreciated.
Kim Staal is not a prospect anymore(25yo, I believe) but the habs still own his rights. He is danish or norwegian I think, and is not related to Eric Staal

Old
12-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Necrophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument
Kim Staal is not a prospect anymore(25yo, I believe) but the habs still own his rights. He is danish or norwegian I think, and is not related to Eric Staal
Too bad, because I heard that Staal has 2 brothers who could become as good as him. I was thinking maybe a cousin or something, seeing as his younger brothers would have been undrafted anyway. Thanks for the info.

Old
12-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Habsolument

Quote:
Too bad, because I heard that Staal has 2 brothers who could become as good as him. I was thinking maybe a cousin or something, seeing as his younger brothers would have been undrafted anyway. Thanks for the info.
Eric Staal 2 brothers are expected to be better than him. Mark,16, is playing in the OHL in Sudbury. Jordan, 15, is playing in midget.

Old
12-08-2003, 02:08 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:

I didn't write that article so I can't say why the author included non prospects in the article, but Kim Staal has moved to new team after he signed a deal over the summer, so chances of seeing him look less and less likely. He missed most of last season due to injury of the knee.

Old
12-14-2003, 05:24 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Lapierre with a goal and assist. 3 of the top 4 scorers for PEI are Habs prospects, as Lapierre has 27 pts and is 4th on the team in scoring.

Urquhart ties Lambert for team lead in pts with 47 each.

Bonneau gets a goal and assist, now has 13 pts on the year with 5 goals.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Decemebr 16th

1 goal, 2 assists for Flood in tonight game

Old
12-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Decemebr 16th

Old
12-19-2003, 12:34 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutmania
Decemebr 16th

Im starting to like that guy...

Old
12-19-2003, 06:19 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Lapierre gets his 15th, as he has been producing well on offense lately, Lambert gets his 26th, Urquhart with the assist.

Stewart with 1g 1a

Old
12-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Habsaku

A few questions about Lapierre.

Has he improved his already good defensive play?
Has he bulked up and played more physical?
and finally, is there any sign of a good offensive upside or does he gets points only because the Q is an easy league?

Old
12-24-2003, 04:31 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Cornell vs Noter Dame 12-27

This Saturday Cornell takes on ND in a tournament in Flordia. I'll get to watch the game on the satillite, and if they win, I get to see them play on Sunday as well. The CU/ND game should be a good one. '04 prospects Dave Brown and Wes O'Neil play for ND who I've seen play once so far this year. I'll post whatever I can on how O'Byrne looks.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:38 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
A few questions about Lapierre.

Has he improved his already good defensive play?
Has he bulked up and played more physical?
and finally, is there any sign of a good offensive upside or does he gets points only because the Q is an easy league?

Those are some tough questions. My trip to see the Rocket play 3 games has been put on hold due to work, but I do listen to their games on the radio. Lapierre has been getting a lot of points lately and he even dropped the gloves last week. I do plan on setting up an interview with him if possible, so I'll ask him if he's bulked up any. I have to wait and see him live before I try and answer about his offensive abilities. He seems to get chances off his hard work and good checking, but I can't say what his shot looks like. If the weather is good I will see him and the Rocket next month hopefully.

Old
12-28-2003, 02:05 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Just watched Ryan O'Byrne and Cornell as they won their first ever title in the everblades classic. This is a big deal for Cornell as they beat 2 very good teams in Noter Dame and #11 Ohio State (a great game, 4-3 in ot for Cornell #15)

O'Byrne was out of position somewhat on the 3rd goal, but he was held up somewhat and the forwards couldn't cover the man in the slot, although two were right there. Other then that he played a good game for the most part.

In the two games I've seen (I'll get to watch him play next friday against Havard which should be a good one) I have to say I am very impressed with O'Byrne. He hits just about everything, and not the hard shove that Komo tends to do (they are effective shoves though) but O'Byrne runs into people, and seems to like to smash people into the boards, as I noticed several heavy hits. He skates well, and is very tall, with some decent passing. He doesn't play any PP, but was on the PK. He did get a 2 min penalty for delay of game on a BS call.

I have both games on tape, so I'll do an article on him later.

Lambert to Lapierre to Urquhart for the goal. 1-0 so far in the 2nd

Old
12-28-2003, 03:34 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Just watched Ryan O'Byrne and Cornell as they won their first ever title in the everblades classic. This is a big deal for Cornell as they beat 2 very good teams in Noter Dame and #11 Ohio State (a great game, 4-3 in ot for Cornell #15)

O'Byrne was out of position somewhat on the 3rd goal, but he was held up somewhat and the forwards couldn't cover the man in the slot, although two were right there. Other then that he played a good game for the most part.

In the two games I've seen (I'll get to watch him play next friday against Havard which should be a good one) I have to say I am very impressed with O'Byrne. He hits just about everything, and not the hard shove that Komo tends to do (they are effective shoves though) but O'Byrne runs into people, and seems to like to smash people into the boards, as I noticed several heavy hits. He skates well, and is very tall, with some decent passing. He doesn't play any PP, but was on the PK. He did get a 2 min penalty for delay of game on a BS call.

I also thought O'Byrne played well. He was on the #1 PK unit and showed he knows his role on the team. Very seldom was he out of position and he made some good outlet passes. A couple of time he jumped up into the play but when the pass didn't come, he immediately moved back to his defensive position.

He's a smooth skater, hands out punishing checks and is willing to take a hit to make a pass.

Can you imagine a RD of:

Mike Komisarek 6'4 235
Andrew Archer 6'4 220
Ryan O'Byrne 6'5 220

Of course a lot of good things have to happen before that is a reality but it IS a possibility.

Old
12-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

Nice to know, the Habs brass seemed very happy about this pick and I'm beggining to understand why. A big, physicall, good skating defensemen, its a good 3rd round pick.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:12 AM
AK-47

On a side note. Did anybody else know that Crosby's father Trevor ( a goalie ) was drafted by the habs in 1986. Wouldn't be great if his son followed in his footsteps.

Old
12-31-2003, 03:18 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Rocket lose again, but Lapierre gets another one from Urquhart on the PP. Urquhart had a tough night in the face-off circle with only 3 wins.

Old
12-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Gainey RULZ

Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
Dec. 30
OHL
Ottawa vs Kingston
5 - 3
Corey Locke : 1g 3a 4points PIM4 ±4

ECHL
Columbus vs Greenville
2 - 1
Matt Shasby : 0g 1a 1pts PIM0
Christian Larrivée : 0g 0a 0pts PIM0
Marc-André Thinel : 0g 0a 0pts PIM0
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dec. 31
ECHL
Columbus vs Augusta
4 - 2
Matt Shasby : 0g 0a 0pts PIM4
Christian Larrivée : 1g 0a 1pts PIM0
Marc-André Thinel : 0g 2a 2pts PIM5

Old
01-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Gainey RULZ

Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
January 1st

OHL
Plymouth vs Owen Sound
3 - 3
Andre Deveaux : 0g 1a 1pts PIM2 ±0

Barrie vs Peterborough
2 - 5
Mark Flood : 0g 2a 2pts PIM0 +3

Ottawa vs Belleville
6 - 5
Corey Locke : 2g 2a 4points(again!) PIM2 +3

Old
01-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Locke is really racking up points, and is really doing it all by himself. He currently is in 3rd place for points in the OHL, while is closest teammate is in 51st position with 8 goals, 23 assists for 31 points in 34 games.

I don't closely follow the OHL, but could someone who do answer me this:

While he's having another good season (Averaging 1,77 PPG), could he be racking up more points if given better linemates.

Will Locke ever be able to crack the Habs line-up even though his small stature?

Old
01-02-2004, 10:57 AM
HCH

Corey Locke - Ottawa
GP-35 G-24 A-38 Pts-62 PIM-50

Andre Deveaux - Owen Sound
GP-35 G-11 A-18 Pts-29 PIM-85

Mark Flood - Peterborough
GP-36 G-8 A-18 Pts-26 PIM-10

Old
01-02-2004, 08:12 PM
goalchenyuk

someone have more details about Matt Shasby ?

i remember that he was looking good 2 years ago , good size , good skating ...

i am a little bit deceive that we don't ear anything about him , i suppose that it's mean that he don't play well ....so please if someone could be enough gentle to give some details about his play ( not only stats ) it will be great ....thanks

Old
01-02-2004, 08:17 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v

i remember that he was looking good 2 years ago , good size , good skating ...

i am a little bit deceive that we don't ear anything about him , i suppose that it's mean that he don't play well ....so please if someone could be enough gentle to give some details about his play ( not only stats ) it will be great ....thanks

Well unless you know someone in Georgia, it's very hard to watch him play. Not many ECHL games are shown on tv, which makes it more difficult to watch him play. The team he plays for stinks, but they seem to be doing a little better lately. I have listened to some of their games on the radio, nothing special from any of them. Thinel had a good game the last time I listened.

Hopefully Shasby is with the Dogs next year, as they could use his good skating, and passing. He will join in on the rush, and is ok in his own end, but that's where he needs improvement.

Old
01-03-2004, 03:24 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
Thinel, Shasby and Larivee stats with Columbus

Thinel, Marc-Andre RW 21 3 11 14 -3 15
Shasby, Matt D 34 3 8 11 -3 16
Larrivee, Christian C 34 3 6 9 -16 20

Closed Thread