HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time To Snag Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2005, 05:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako
i'd still like to believe we could get more than a nearly 40 yr old defender in a poti deal...
Poti would return more than Leetch? Poti would barely return anything. Leetch won't be 38 until March so he's hardly nearly 40. And Leetch is still a far and away better player than Poti.

12-01-2005, 05:20 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Poti would return more than Leetch? Poti would barely return anything. Leetch won't be 38 until March so he's hardly nearly 40. And Leetch is still a far and away better player than Poti.
If we are still where we are now at the trade deadline then i would love to try and get him back......You defenitly do it for poti.....Im not saying they would take poti, but I dont see how poti is a better fit than leetch.

Old
12-01-2005, 05:21 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

I was thinking about this option as well and would love to see Leetch back in blue but for the right price. Let's face it - if the Rangers are in playoff contention come March then you will probably see Poti dealt in place for a more reliable offensive defenseman. A deal like this will most likely occur towards the end of the year (Feb/Mar) and will involve a team that is looking to clean house. The two teams that come to mind are the Bruins (Leetch) and Pittsburgh (Gonchar). We would have to deal Poti to a contender for a pick then trade that pick and then some to land a player like Leetch or Gonchar. Then of course we can hope that Thomas Pock develops more and use him, but I don't believe he will be ready to assume that particular role this year if we continue to win.

Old
12-01-2005, 05:22 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Poti might be able to get us a third rounder.

Old
12-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Pizza

Sense or no sense it does not matter. I keep hearing that as long as Sather is at the helm Leetch wants no aprt of the NYR. Let it go.

Old
12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
Based on what?

Old
12-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Blueshirt Yankee

Quote:
I'd take a week's supply of coffee and donuts for Poti right now.

Old
12-01-2005, 07:40 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Based on what?
The thinking there is that Malakhov returned a second rounder and he was in his late thirties. I did say "might" be able to get us.... Why, what do you think he could get us. And don't tell me a bag of pucks

Old
12-01-2005, 07:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The thinking there is that Malakhov returned a second rounder and he was in his late thirties. I did say "might" be able to get us.... Why, what do you think he could get us. And don't tell me a bag of pucks
Honestly, I don't think Poti has any trade value. He is awful defensively, an underachiever offensively, and he is getting paid a lot of money.

Old
12-01-2005, 07:56 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think Poti has any trade value. He is awful defensively, an underachiever offensively, and he is getting paid a lot of money.
His salary is not that high considering what some other D-men are getting paid. As much as we hate him, he does have some value.

Old
12-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Edge

Quote:
His salary is not that high considering what some other D-men are getting paid. As much as we hate him, he does have some value.
Problem is that if he's not scoring he doesn't bring much of anything to the table.

He's not physical, nor is he defensive, he's not a leader and he's not really a guy you go to war with.

I think his biggest problem is that very few people look at him and say "We could use a guy like that".

Does he have some value? Yeah, but at this point it's extremely low.

Old
12-01-2005, 09:54 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Problem is that if he's not scoring he doesn't bring much of anything to the table.

He's not physical, nor is he defensive, he's not a leader and he's not really a guy you go to war with.

I think his biggest problem is that very few people look at him and say "We could use a guy like that".

Does he have some value? Yeah, but at this point it's extremely low.
I disagree with everything you have just said. He has been pound for pound as physical as anyone in the league. He is a leader because he is 100% character and works as hard as anyone. And if anyone argues he is not defensive based on his +/- they probably don't watch sports let alone hockey.

Old
12-01-2005, 09:57 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
I disagree with everything you have just said. He has been pound for pound as physical as anyone in the league. He is a leader because he is 100% character and works as hard as anyone. And if anyone argues he is not defensive based on his +/- they probably don't watch sports let alone hockey.

Ummm...

What player are you guys talking about here?

Old
12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I disagree with everything you have just said. He has been pound for pound as physical as anyone in the league. He is a leader because he is 100% character and works as hard as anyone.
Tom, is that you?

Old
12-01-2005, 10:45 PM
SML

Quote:
I was thinking about this option as well and would love to see Leetch back in blue but for the right price. Let's face it - if the Rangers are in playoff contention come March then you will probably see Poti dealt in place for a more reliable offensive defenseman. A deal like this will most likely occur towards the end of the year (Feb/Mar) and will involve a team that is looking to clean house. The two teams that come to mind are the Bruins (Leetch) and Pittsburgh (Gonchar). We would have to deal Poti to a contender for a pick then trade that pick and then some to land a player like Leetch or Gonchar. Then of course we can hope that Thomas Pock develops more and use him, but I don't believe he will be ready to assume that particular role this year if we continue to win.

IF and it's a big IF at that, we are in a position to make a "serious" run near the deadline, I would consider a chance at Leetch, but not Gonchar. How long is his deal for? Look at our contracts. Betts, Moore, Ortmeyer, Roszival, Tyutin and Hossa all need to be resigned, and all of them are making 700k or under. We're going to have to give some of these guys raises if we want to keep them. To dish 4 mil or whatever Gonchar is making is not worth losing ANY of those guys. He puts us in a bad spot long term. At least Leetch would be gone (at least his cap hit) at the end of the next season. Getting Gonchar would be terrible cap management. Sather seems to have a fairly good handle on working within a budget, I imagine from having to do so for so long in Edmonton. I don't forsee him trading for Gonchar. The Leetch thing could be intriguing if we're in the right situation though. Could you imagine bringing NY's favorite son back and having him here again if we actually WON the cup again? It's been along time since I could fantasize about this team like this...

Old
12-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Edge

Quote:
Before I respond I have to ask if you're seriously joking or if you do actually mean this? If you're joking, ignore the rest of this. If you're serious than...wow.Where do I begin?

Pound for pound Poti has been as physical as anyone in the game? We're watching two totally different players. Poti and the word physical rarely appear in the same sentence let alone enough to rank him as pound for pound as physical as anyone in the game. Considering he's 6'3, 215 pounds that would also be a lot of physical play to throw out there.

Poti has never once been considered a leader on any NHL team he's played on. I really have no idea where this is coming from. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

No one is arguing or has even mentioned his plus/minus. Let's not shadow box here. He's not defensive because he has no concept of defense.

I'm actually quite stunned at this. I've seen some interesting opinions in my time, but this one certainly wins the medal.

I have no idea where you're coming from on this.

Old
12-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
Ummm...

What player are you guys talking about here?
I think we're talking about Poti...but now I'm not so sure.

Whoever this defenseman that Dakose is describing sounds wonderful. I'd love to meet him someday....

Old
12-02-2005, 01:40 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think we're talking about Poti...but now I'm not so sure.

Whoever this defenseman that Dakose is describing sounds wonderful. I'd love to meet him someday....
I think it's Brian Leetch and if you did work for the Rangers then my guess is that you already met him

Old
12-02-2005, 06:50 AM
gdflynn1*

Leetch return not likely - yet

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-315573c.html

"So Rangers fans pining for Leetch's return to - at the very least - run the sagging power play, probably will have to count on the Bruins continuing to sputter right up to the March 9 trade deadline."

Old
12-02-2005, 08:14 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
Betts, Moore, Ortmeyer, Roszival, Tyutin and Hossa all need to be resigned,
Rozsival and Hossa do not need to be resigned. They simply have no place on this team. Hossa should be playing his way out of the lineup and deserves to be sat whhen Ortmeyer comes back on Saturday. And no matter how they perform, Poti and Rozsival are not a part of the solution for the future. Kasper and Malik are untradeable and Toots & Drats will be here. Without taking the likes of Staal and Sauer into account for next year, the likes of Pock, Lampman and Baranka should be able to step in for Rozsival and Poti.

Old
12-02-2005, 08:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Rozsival and Hossa do not need to be resigned. They simply have no place on this team. Hossa should be playing his way out of the lineup and deserves to be sat whhen Ortmeyer comes back on Saturday. And no matter how they perform, Poti and Rozsival are not a part of the solution for the future. Kasper and Malik are untradeable and Toots & Drats will be here. Without taking the likes of Staal and Sauer into account for next year, the likes of Pock, Lampman and Baranka should be able to step in for Rozsival and Poti.

Agreed. Rozsival has been a decent pickup. I'm not as infatuated with him as some are but he's been serviceable. That said, he's hardly irreplaceable. And Hossa has not done enough where I feel that he needs to be on this team either.

Old
12-02-2005, 11:31 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
More or less agree. Hossa needs to get it in gear. Maybe Rucinsky coming back will help him. For what it's worth he's better than Lundmark. As for Rozsvial and Poti they could very well be gone. I think though that if both aren't resigned that Slats is going to bring in at least one UFA d'man.

Old
12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
SML

My point was more geared towards how bad of a position a guy making as much as Gonchar does would put us in with regard to filling out the roster financially. Even if those two are not resigned, you still have to pay someone to play their positions. A cap hit like Gonchar's has no place in this organization.

Old
12-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
My point was more geared towards how bad of a position a guy making as much as Gonchar does would put us in with regard to filling out the roster financially. Even if those two are not resigned, you still have to pay someone to play their positions. A cap hit like Gonchar's has no place in this organization.
I think only one person in this thread mentioned Gonchar and I doubt that the organization has reason to think he would be the answer to their problems, unless of course, they are suddenly seeing a Stanley Cup in our immediate future and get seduced by the vision.

And SML, how many of those young players (Betts, Moore, Ortmeyer, Hossa, et al) you mention in an earlier post, qualify for arbitration? If they don't, then there is not a lot they can do, but sign the qualitying offer sheet and be happy with their 10% raise. I seriously doubt any of them will be in a position--regardless of their play this year--to command large raises.

Old
12-02-2005, 04:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
For what it's worth he's better than Lundmark. As for Rozsvial and Poti they could very well be gone.
I do not see how you can make that statement. He is producing about as much, while playing more time, more PP time and with better linemates than Lundmark had. And he is not being bounced around from center to wing.

"I think though that if both aren't resigned that Slats is going to bring in at least one UFA d'man."

Kasper, Mali, Toot & Drats are set in stone for next year. Let's say that Staal & Sauer are given another year in the AHL. Pock, Lampman & Baranka look ready. If Sather brings in a vet, it will be at their expense. If, in the case of Lampman and Pock, you are not giving them a chance next year either, then when???

Closed Thread