HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Official Sharks Press Release ~ Toskala, Murray Reassigned

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2005, 02:05 PM
majicpixie

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Official Sharks Press Release ~ Toskala, Murray Reassigned

VESA TOSKALA ASSIGNED TO CLEVELAND ON CONDITIONING ASSIGNMENT,
DEFENSEMAN DOUG MURRAY RECALLED

SAN JOSE - San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced that the club has assigned goaltender Vesa Toskala to the Cleveland Barons, the Sharks top development affiliate in the American Hockey League, on a conditioning assignment.

Toskala re-aggravated a groin injury on Nov. 8 at Colorado and was placed on injured reserve the following day. In five games this season, the 28-year-old Toskala has appeared in five games and has a 5.05 goals-against average.

The five-foot-ten, 195-pound goaltender from Tampere, Finland was originally selected in the fourth round (90th overall) in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.

To replace Toskala on the roster, the Sharks have recalled defenseman Doug Murray from Cleveland.

Murray is being called up to the Sharks for the first time in his career. He started the 2005-06 season as one of the alternate captains for Cleveland, appearing in 19 games and scoring a goal on seven assists for eight points with 35 PIM. Murray had the best season of his professional career last year with the Barons by scoring six goals and 17 assists (23 points) in 54 games.

The six-foot-three, 240 pound defenseman from Bromma, Sweden was selected by the Sharks in the eighth round (241st overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. Murray played his college hockey at Cornell from 1999-03.

Murray is expected to join the Sharks in time for Friday night's game in Buffalo against the Sabres.

Old
12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Congrats to Doug! I am happy for him. (kinda wish it was Gorges.....but I think Murray has earned the shot)

Old
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Better Murray than Gorges from a Barons perspective. Good luck to Doug on his stay in the show.

Old
12-01-2005, 03:00 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

I can't wait to see Murray in action, Ive been waiting for this for a long time now. Add some grit to the D corpse (no thats not a typo), and hopefully keep a few pucks out of the net.

Davison + Murray Pairing?

About a week ago I was kinda regretting getting centre Ice, but now, I think im feeling just a little better

Old
12-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
I thought he had to clear waivers first? I remember hearing that about him if we sent him down. But if this is true, I'm assuming Nolan is gonna stay backup for the Sharks.

You think this is a hint for something to come in the future?

Old
12-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania
I thought he had to clear waivers first? I remember hearing that about him if we sent him down. But if this is true, I'm assuming Nolan is gonna stay backup for the Sharks.

You think this is a hint for something to come in the future?
I think conditioning assignments are exempt from waivers. They would have to be for Phoenix to send Boucher to San Antonio for a few contests.

Old
12-01-2005, 03:07 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brownstone
I think conditioning assignments are exempt from waivers. They would have to be for Phoenix to send Boucher to San Antonio for a few contests.
edm sent down conklin earlier this year on a conditiong stint too. they are exempt

Old
12-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Well this is the first time I've heard "conditioning assignment" so I'll take your word for it.

I might be a long time fan but its only recent have I realy begun to learn the innerworkings of smaller things like this

Old
12-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Bauerkraut

Let the Murray era begin!

Old
12-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Baron Von Shark

Good lord, I pray to god Murray's skating has improved from two years ago...

Old
12-01-2005, 05:28 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
They are exempt, but AFAIK limited to 2 weeks. Over 2 weeks . . .

Old
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Mr Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Shark
Good lord, I pray to god Murray's skating has improved from two years ago...
It has, but he's been way too aggressive in the offensive zone lately and gotten himself caught. As well as being a bit lazy getting to the front of the net. He should step up though.

Old
12-01-2005, 05:40 PM
sharkyz15

Send a message via AIM to sharkyz15 Send a message via Yahoo to sharkyz15
is bernier going to be called up?

Old
12-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Baron Von Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyz15
is bernier going to be called up?
I'm sure he will. At least...he better be.

Old
12-01-2005, 06:23 PM
jpsharkfan

Is Gorges back in the line up? I know that he was in San Jose for treatment a few weeks ago. Are we seeing Murray because Gorges isnt available?

Old
12-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Mr Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsharkfan
Is Gorges back in the line up? I know that he was in San Jose for treatment a few weeks ago. Are we seeing Murray because Gorges isnt available?
He is. They may want to give Murray a look....or showcase him as trade bait, who knows. Gorges has been in the Barons lineup for maybe the last two weeks or so.

Old
12-01-2005, 06:27 PM
jpsharkfan

Quote:
He is. They may want to give Murray a look....or showcase him as trade bait, who knows. Gorges has been in the Barons lineup for maybe the last two weeks or so.
Who do you think is the more NHL ready player?

Old
12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Baron Von Shark

Adam, has Gorges' size been an issue? And btw, someone stole your avatar idea and made a Alfredsson version...

Old
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Mr Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsharkfan
Who do you think is the more NHL ready player?
Gorges. Easily. Murray's a great physical presence and a very smart defenseman, but his skating still needs a bit of work. I've really calmed down about him as I've watched him more. He's still going to be an NHL defenseman, but no higher than a 4th. I'll give Kevin Wey that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Shark
Adam, has Gorges' size been an issue? And btw, someone stole your avatar idea and made a Alfredsson version...
Yeah, I noticed the avy. At least he could be original. I already have the Swedish hockey jesus as my avatar. Get your own, pal.

Anyway, Gorges' size isn't really an issue because he is so sound positionally. He'd have to be paired with a Davison/McLaren because he's not the best at clearing the net, but he's smart. He knows exactly how to position himself along the boards to stop the cycle and he's outstanding at forcing forwards to the outside for low percentage chances. Like I've always said about Gorges is that he's good, but not flashy. If you don't notice him, he's doing his job. If you notice him, it's because he made a mistake. He's just a rock.

It's all of those things that make him more NHL ready. Where Gorges forces the guy around the net, Murray would step up and try to hit him. I have no problem with that, but it's hard to be deceptive on your skates at 6'3" 240. He almost always gets a piece, but, if he doesn't finish his check, then he's out of position and the trailers fire at will (that correlates directly to our forwards not named Josh Hennessy or Tom Cavanagh being too lazy to backcheck). The one thing I will give Murray is that if someone comes to the inside, they will get laid out. Plain and simple. Gorges' skating and puckmoving skills are more NHL ready than Murray's and although Murray's a great physical defenseman, he tends to be a liability a lot more than Gorges. If Murray curtailed his desire to go deep into the offensive corner, or was better able to compensate for it, it would be much closer in comparison.

Old
12-01-2005, 08:53 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

Christmas came early this year! Joe Thornton and we finally get to see Doug Murray play. Thanks for the info Mr. Brownstone, I'm sure Murray will try to keep it simple during his first couple games. I'm just hoping he kicks Fahey out of the lineup.

Now all that's left is for Toskala to get his game back, so we can trade Nabakov and get another top 4 dman.

Old
12-01-2005, 08:58 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCzech
Now all that's left is for Toskala to get his game back, so we can trade Nabakov and get another top 4 dman.
In the third, it's a 0-0 game. Toskala has not had to face that many (quantity) shots.

Old
12-01-2005, 09:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Toskala looses in the shootout, but perfect the rest of the evening. Gave up two goals, saved two attempts (out of the five the AHL has). 0-1 final score.

Edit: Barons only scored one shoot out goal in five attempts.

Closed Thread