HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Chris Pronger = Dale Hunter

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 06:31 PM
David

vCash: 500
Chris Pronger = Dale Hunter

Used to have so much more admiration for Pronger...he's just a gutless bully!

Old
10-13-2003, 06:33 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora

severity of situations aren't comparable.. pronger was late, but not as late or as vicious... it was dirty, but not hunteresque..

and a complete waste of SPACE !

Old
10-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Thanks for you contribution to this board. It was greatly appreciated... NOT!

Old
10-13-2003, 06:41 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

If that hit offended you so much, I suggest you look into following another sport, perhaps bowling or the LPGA is more up your alley. He got 2 minutes for the hit, and that was about all he deserved.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:53 PM
BCCHL inactive

I gotta agree with the majority. It was dirty, but it wasn't even worthy of a fine. Pronger was not trying to hurt Kariya.

And Teemu Selanne needs to read a rulebook. The penalty for cross checking an opponent without causing injury is 2 minutes. What the hell is Selanne blaming the officials for?...doing their job?

Old
10-13-2003, 06:56 PM
ulf

the hit was late and it wasn't good hockey. much as i'd want pronger on my team give him a black mark for a poor decision.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:14 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box

severity of situations aren't comparable.. pronger was late, but not as late or as vicious... it was dirty, but not hunteresque..

I agree the post is a waste of space but I think calling for a ban is a bit much.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:15 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan
I agree the post is a waste of space but I think calling for a ban is a bit much.
i just ask myself, what would vlad do? since i can't slap the guy, i felt this was the next best thing :p

Old
10-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
I just hope Worrell has a little chat with Pronger the next time these 2 teams play which is on Boxing Day , how's that day for a rematch ?

Come on. People are acting like Worrell is the messiah or something. Give it a rest. I don't think he intimidates Pronger in the least.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:

Is this the NHL or kindergarten? Sheesh......

Old
10-13-2003, 07:49 PM
wazee

Quote:
ENOUGH ALREADY! It was one late cross check. It was illegal and Pronger was penalized. However, that is no where near the worst thing I have seen done in a hockey game. It isn't in the top 10 or, probably in the top 100. That does not make it right. It doesn't make it good for the game. But it is not worth dragging into 3 threads.

Pronger plays the game with an edge. He hacks and he slashes. He has been doing it for years. If last night was the first time you noticed it, you have not watched the Blues often.

If you cannot drop this, can you at least keep it on the Avs/Blues game day thread that was trashed with this same sophomoric silliness last night.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:57 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box

You want a waste of space? Okay...

It was almost as late and more vicious than Hunter's hit on Turgeon. The only viable argument that can be made on Pronger's defense is that Turgeon got hurt and was out for the rest of the playoffs and Kariya was not seriously injured.

The thing bothers me is that you can almost prove that Pronger's actions are pre-meditated.

The way that Selanne mouthed off and ran Pronger into the boards giving him a bloody forehead at Salt Lake City most certainly gave Pronger a reason to pummel Selanne into a pulp when he got back to NHL. (Which brings me to this point: why can Selanne play with fire and passion and desire and sacrifice his own body with wreckless disregard when he plays for Finland but not when he's being paid millions of dollars in NHL? ...but that, is another matter) I was actually looking forward to watching the said 'pummelling'...but it never took place because good ole Chris' problems with his wrists...which gave him a whole year to sit and let his anger for Selanne boil...into the fine broth that it has become.

Now their first encounter since that eventful evening at the Olympics 2 years ago and Chris is trying to exact his revenge...but damn Selanne is too fast and Chris is getting exsaperated (sp?)...so like a classic bully, he throws a temtrum because he can't get his way and lays the late lumber on Selanne's best friend...Kariya...tsk, tsk.

The way I see it, there are 4 major differences between Hunter/Turgeon and Pronger/Kariya.

1. One of the receipiants of the late hit got hurt and one did not.
2. One of the victems was a visible minority and one was not.
3. One was during the playoffs and one was not.
4. One of the perps was a known goon/dirty player and the was a league MVP/Norris winner/All Star.

I'm hoping that it's not #2 so we'll throw that one out...

#1 and #3 are pretty good defense for Pronger but then why wasn't there a more tangible punishment handed out by the league?

We're left with #4. It seems to me, there's some special treatment going on here for some people...hey!!! Wait a minute! Maybe I should re-think my view on #2...hmmmm.

ps. Oh, and by the way, get Colin to address the head injury thing too while he's setting things straight for Pronger's infraction on Kariya...there's no way that so many players should be subjected to head injuries like this in NHL...what is this? A 'garage' league? Lafontain, Lindros, Lindros again (the little one...the one that fell into the lake snowmobiling.) Deadmarsh, Allison, etc...oh and Kariya too!...how many is too many? What the @##$ are guys like Campbell doing and why are they getting paid if the league's most valuable assets are being threatened and nothing is being done?

Old
10-13-2003, 08:06 PM
David

Oh yeah, I forgot to say:

It doesn't change the fact that Pronger is a rotten puke just because the victem wasn't seriously hurt. What if he was seriously hurt?

Old
10-13-2003, 08:24 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:

Are you ****ing kidding me? How the hell can you even consider playing the race card?

Quote:
ps. Oh, and by the way, get Colin to address the head injury thing too while he's setting things straight for Pronger's infraction on Kariya...there's no way that so many players should be subjected to head injuries like this in NHL...what is this? A 'garage' league? Lafontain, Lindros, Lindros again (the little one...the one that fell into the lake snowmobiling.) Deadmarsh, Allison, etc...oh and Kariya too!...how many is too many? What the @##$ are guys like Campbell doing and why are they getting paid if the league's most valuable assets are being threatened and nothing is being done?
Why are you talking about head injuries when Pronger cross checked Kariya in the back?

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to say:

It doesn't change the fact that Pronger is a rotten puke just because the victem wasn't seriously hurt. What if he was seriously hurt?
You're right..it doesn't change the fact...because there is no fact that Pronger is a "rotten puke". That is 110% your OPINION.

If Kariya was seriously hurt, then Pronger would have been assessed a major penalty, kicked out of the game, and disciplined by the league.

But we don't worry about that because Kariya was not seriously hurt. Pronger was given the correct punishment according to the rulebook.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:49 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
If that hit offended you so much, I suggest you look into following another sport, perhaps bowling or the LPGA is more up your alley. He got 2 minutes for the hit, and that was about all he deserved.
Best post in the thread, you said it all. The LPGA would probably be to rough for that guy. Jesus Christ Hockey is a contact game that is what makes it special. He wasnt trying to hurt Kariya if he was he just would have hit him in the melon.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
c-carp

Quote:
I just hope Worrell has a little chat with Pronger the next time these 2 teams play which is on Boxing Day , how's that day for a rematch ?
Hopefully we get a Low Worrell bout as well.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:51 PM
rodvinge

Send a message via ICQ to rodvinge Send a message via AIM to rodvinge
As someone who doesn't like Pronger much, I don't think the hit was a very big deal at all. In fact, I would probably be pissed if he got anything more than 2 minutes for that. If you want to whine about a dirty play, do so about the hit Grier put on Reichel tonight. That deserved more than two minutes, not the love tap Pronger gave Kariya. If it was Foote on Demitra, all you Pronger naysayers would be saying: "Get over it!".

So get over it.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:52 PM
c-carp

Quote:
I know Pronger won't be intimidated by Worrell but , Worrell will be hunting for Tkachuk , Weight , Demitra . etc. He'll be sending a message next time these 2 teams play .
That is as it should be that is his job, it will be up to Low to respond to that. Simple as that. It should be a great game.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:54 PM
c-carp

Quote:
You want a waste of space? Okay...

It was almost as late and more vicious than Hunter's hit on Turgeon. The only viable argument that can be made on Pronger's defense is that Turgeon got hurt and was out for the rest of the playoffs and Kariya was not seriously injured.

The thing bothers me is that you can almost prove that Pronger's actions are pre-meditated.

The way that Selanne mouthed off and ran Pronger into the boards giving him a bloody forehead at Salt Lake City most certainly gave Pronger a reason to pummel Selanne into a pulp when he got back to NHL. (Which brings me to this point: why can Selanne play with fire and passion and desire and sacrifice his own body with wreckless disregard when he plays for Finland but not when he's being paid millions of dollars in NHL? ...but that, is another matter) I was actually looking forward to watching the said 'pummelling'...but it never took place because good ole Chris' problems with his wrists...which gave him a whole year to sit and let his anger for Selanne boil...into the fine broth that it has become.

Now their first encounter since that eventful evening at the Olympics 2 years ago and Chris is trying to exact his revenge...but damn Selanne is too fast and Chris is getting exsaperated (sp?)...so like a classic bully, he throws a temtrum because he can't get his way and lays the late lumber on Selanne's best friend...Kariya...tsk, tsk.

The way I see it, there are 4 major differences between Hunter/Turgeon and Pronger/Kariya.

1. One of the receipiants of the late hit got hurt and one did not.
3. One was during the playoffs and one was not.
4. One of the perps was a known goon/dirty player and the was a league MVP/Norris winner/All Star.

I'm hoping that it's not #2 so we'll throw that one out...

#1 and #3 are pretty good defense for Pronger but then why wasn't there a more tangible punishment handed out by the league?

We're left with #4. It seems to me, there's some special treatment going on here for some people...hey!!! Wait a minute! Maybe I should re-think my view on #2...hmmmm.

This will be my last post on this subject, but you need help bud. You are overreacting by miles.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Hecht

David is...Teemu Selanne

Old
10-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
He got 2 minutes for the hit, and that was about all he deserved.

but thats not all he's gonna get

Old
10-13-2003, 09:25 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
but thats not all he's gonna get
Should be a good game next time, hopefully the blood gets up early

Old
10-13-2003, 09:55 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
I know Pronger won't be intimidated by Worrell but , Worrell will be hunting for Tkachuk , Weight , Demitra . etc. He'll be sending a message next time these 2 teams play .
Weight and Demitra?! Wow tough guy!

Old
10-13-2003, 09:57 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
You want a waste of space?
No we don't.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:23 PM
190Octane

I didn't see it, is there video of this somewhere?

Closed Thread