HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Chris Pronger = Dale Hunter

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 12:41 AM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Totally off the subject, but since Dale Hunter's name was used in the title does anyone else think he should be in the HOF? I say yes its a no brainer. Thoughts.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
I think generally the league needs to be harsh on stuff that happens when play has stopped. Players relax and aren't prepared for stuff and that is when injuries can happen. When play is on, players have a totally different preparation for being whacked.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:34 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I gotta agree with the majority. It was dirty, but it wasn't even worthy of a fine. Pronger was not trying to hurt Kariya.

And Teemu Selanne needs to read a rulebook. The penalty for cross checking an opponent without causing injury is 2 minutes. What the hell is Selanne blaming the officials for?...doing their job?
Selšnne seems to know the rules, you how ever dont. Things are quite different during play and after the whistle is blown.

5 game suspension would be nice...Pronger would probably learn much more from that than Worrel or someone else giving him a beating...or worse, giving some of Blues stars a beating.

I would rather see Pronger think about his temper for 5 games than someone ending his career in retaliation. Hockey does not need this crap...not from Pronger and not from those who will retaliate. He just came out of a near career ending injury. Let's hope he smartens up before someone really ends it.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:35 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
I think generally the league needs to be harsh on stuff that happens when play has stopped. Players relax and aren't prepared for stuff and that is when injuries can happen. When play is on, players have a totally different preparation for being whacked.
Exactly. Agreed 100%.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:54 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Best post in the thread, you said it all. The LPGA would probably be to rough for that guy. Jesus Christ Hockey is a contact game that is what makes it special. He wasnt trying to hurt Kariya if he was he just would have hit him in the melon.
he hit him in the lower back where there are no pads. That is one of the places where it hurts the most, and also can do a lot of damage to your lower back and your neck (because it tilts back). You would know if you ever put on hockey gear.

Doesnt really matter if he intended to hurt or not...he did a dangerous thing and should be punished for it. I have no problem with tough physical hockey, as long as it stays inside the game. After the whistle is blown, Pronger should learn to skate to the bench and learn from the mistakes. If he was not able to stop the goal, it is not Kariyas fault. Chris has too big of an ego....if he gets checked and his face goes open, he spouts out death threats...then if a 20 cm, 30 kg smaller guy scores for the opponent while big Chris is on the ice, he just cant take it like a man.

Some people keep suggesting that those who question such hits should look into other sports. Why? Maybe some of you think such childish temper tantrums that Pronger keeps showing are "manly" and "rough"...I think that if a guy can't take a hit in a hockey rink, during play...or can't live with the fact that his team got scored on while he was on the ice, then he is simply a sissy. That is not manly at all, a really tough guy would have sucked it in, skated to the bench and come back twice as tough. A mouse would react like Pronger did.

Old
10-14-2003, 02:04 AM
psycho_dad

I have noticed that it's often the young boys who think that crap like that belongs in hockey and that the adults, the real men who disagree should look for another sport because "this one is too tough". It's not too tough, we just have a very different view of what a man is. In my opinion a man is tough physically and mentally. In no way you can say that Chris Prongers acts show any mental toughness. Cheapshots never do.

Old
10-14-2003, 03:53 AM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
Pronger drilled Kariya from behind after he scored ok . What I'm trying to say is that Worrell go after their top stars to get back . I know Pronger aint a so called "tough guy" but , he'd kicked the ***** out of Kariya with ease .

It might not even be Worrell , I wouldn't be surprised of Foote drills Demitra or Weight next game .

Pronger won't be intimidated at all , I seen him beat the crap out of Barnaby before . The guy can fight and he has a mean streak like WHOA !
Personally I see Weight drilling his ass back, Demitra on the otherhand, I fear for his life :p

Old
10-14-2003, 04:45 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad
Selšnne seems to know the rules, you how ever dont. Things are quite different during play and after the whistle is blown.

5 game suspension would be nice...Pronger would probably learn much more from that than Worrel or someone else giving him a beating...or worse, giving some of Blues stars a beating.

I would rather see Pronger think about his temper for 5 games than someone ending his career in retaliation. Hockey does not need this crap...not from Pronger and not from those who will retaliate. He just came out of a near career ending injury. Let's hope he smartens up before someone really ends it.
Your obsession is almost admirable.

Old
10-14-2003, 04:53 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Your obsession is almost admirable.
What obsession are you talking about?

I want cheapshots and diving out of hockey. Only way there is to stop those is the league doing something about it. Set an example, follow through. Pronger could receive a 5 game suspension now, 15 games on the next cheapshot and after third banned from the league. That would stop it, one way or the other. Either the ape would learn, or he would have to find a new job. This is pretty much what is done to other sorts of criminals also.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Nick Blue

I dont think Ive ever seen so much whining about a meaningless 2 minute minor penalty in October. I dont think the Avs want to be gooning it up against anyone. Their lineup is one of the softest in the league- it would directly play into the hands of the opponent.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:20 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
I dont think Ive ever seen so much whining about a meaningless 2 minute minor penalty in October. I dont think the Avs want to be gooning it up against anyone. Their lineup is one of the softest in the league- it would directly play into the hands of the opponent.
Whole idea of having goons in any lineup is just sad.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:30 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Whole idea of having goons in any lineup is just sad.
To you it might be, I have no problem with it at all.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:33 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Totally off the subject, but since Dale Hunter's name was used in the title does anyone else think he should be in the HOF? I say yes its a no brainer. Thoughts.
Possibly, but when I think of Dale Hunter anymore, I can only think of that hit he put on Pierre Turgeon, kind of puts a damper on his accomplishments, IMO.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:53 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You want a waste of space? Okay...

It was almost as late and more vicious than Hunter's hit on Turgeon.
Something tells me that you weren't even around for the Hunter hit. Almost as late? More vicious? GMAFB.

Hunter *chased* after Turgeon from the goal over to the boards, then whacked him into the boards.

Pronger hit Kariya barely a second after the goal was scored, a bit late, worthy of a two minute penalty, which was called.

I simply cannot believe the amount of Avs whining going on in these boards over *nothing*.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:01 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Something tells me that you weren't even around for the Hunter hit. Almost as late? More vicious? GMAFB.

Hunter *chased* after Turgeon from the goal over to the boards, then whacked him into the boards.

Pronger hit Kariya barely a second after the goal was scored, a bit late, worthy of a two minute penalty, which was called.

I simply cannot believe the amount of Avs whining going on in these boards over *nothing*.
The Avs fans must have nothing better to do other than complain about Pronger's hit or start a jihad against the people who are anti-Forsberg, almost reminds me of those freakish Michael Jackson fans, you say one bad thing about MJ on tv and they'll be e-mailing the host about how wrong he is. Or at least until the next Avs game, when they'll find something else to *****/gloat about. [/rant]

Old
10-14-2003, 08:16 AM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Neither can I and I am an Avs fan.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:04 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
Neither can I and I am an Avs fan.
Strange thing though, that most of the Prongers hit bashing here has been by me, and yet Avs fans somehow get the critic.

I am not Avs fan, my favourite team is not playing in the same league. In the NHL I have no "fav teams", but I do love hockey enough to watch 4-5 games a week, and listen to 2-3 on the radio.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Frenzy1

David, grow up... You must not have seen the Caps Islander series, otherwise you wouldn't compare the two. And it has nothing to do w/ one being put out w/ INJURY.

Quote:
I want cheapshots and diving out of hockey. Only way there is to stop those is the league doing something about it.
I am not a fan of cheap shots. When Pronger layed out Karia, I thought, OH Sheite, another penalty. The Blues are dead, but then Blake wound up w/ one also so it evened out.

There has also been speculation that Karia's shot was in retaliation for the cross check given to Jackman just prior to the goal. (This may well be so, or at least part of it). Sticking up for teammates is not a bad thing.

And if you want diving out, you better start compaining about Selannie and Forsberg. Peter looked like he was preparing for the olympics....

Finally, Karia put it best when he said it was just Pronger being Pronger. He didn't cry or scream foul.

You may not have a favorite NHL team, but you sure like the Aves over the Blues.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:53 AM
wazee

Quote:
Strange thing though, that most of the Prongers hit bashing here has been by me, and yet Avs fans somehow get the critic.

I am not Avs fan, my favourite team is not playing in the same league. In the NHL I have no "fav teams", but I do love hockey enough to watch 4-5 games a week, and listen to 2-3 on the radio.
Strange, indeed, but not surprising. The Anti-Avs crowd on this board is a minority, but a minority with a herd mentality. They live to hate the Avs and their fans. Given any oportunity, they whine as long and as load as they can about any perceived wrong the Avs may have committed. OTOH, the Avs have their share of inmature homer fans who fail the objectivity test as well. Between the extremes exhibited by both sides, it is difficult to have a logical discussion about anything concerning the Avs..at least on this board.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:22 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
Strange, indeed, but not surprising. The Anti-Avs crowd on this board is a minority, but a minority with a herd mentality. They live to hate the Avs and their fans. Given any oportunity, they whine as long and as load as they can about any perceived wrong the Avs may have committed. OTOH, the Avs have their share of inmature homer fans who fail the objectivity test as well. Between the extremes exhibited by both sides, it is difficult to have a logical discussion about anything concerning the Avs..at least on this board.
Cry me a river, look at any of the big market, high payroll teams and they get the same treatment, the Wings, Leafs, Rags, Blues, Habs, Flyers, etc, just about every team gets the same treatment from the other fans, you certainly aren't getting any pity from me, because as a Wings fan I hear it from Avs fans every time on come on here. It's just some posters fall for the bait; hook, line, and sinker (ie, someone posts something negative about a player on your team and then pages of endless debate ensues).

Old
10-14-2003, 12:38 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Possibly, but when I think of Dale Hunter anymore, I can only think of that hit he put on Pierre Turgeon, kind of puts a damper on his accomplishments, IMO.
Ill try and find his career stats later, I know he has over 1000pts and I think over 3000 PIMs that is aweful impressive.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:41 PM
bluebleeder38

Pronger probably shouldn't have done it, but wasn't it in retaliation for Blake cross checking Jackman right before that?

And there is no way you can equate Pronger's hit with Dale Hunter, who indeed skated over and smoked Turgeon. I thought I also saw someone mention that Kariya is a minority...are you kidding me? Nobody brought it up when Gary Suter hit Kariya back in '98 or w/e, but now it's apparently an issue? Maybe the whole Rush Limbaugh thing made him think of it.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:46 PM
bluebleeder38

Kind of off topic, but could you imagine how nasty a Foote-Pronger pairing would be to play against?

Old
10-14-2003, 12:52 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
One more thing on Dale Hunter and I will leave this go other than to post his stats later if I can find them.

Gordie Howe is an all-time great No disputing that. People forget however that he was one of the dirtiest SOB's ever to play the game. He was probably the best fighter of his era whn he was in his prime, but he also did plenty of dirty **** out there. I am not pointing this out to slam gordie only to Illustrate my point that Dale Hunters accomplishments oveer his long career should not be Ignored for one Huge Brain Fart when he laid that visious cheap shot on Turgeon.

Thoughts

Also before someone brings this into the equasion I am not comparing dale Hunter to Gordie, Gordie was far better. I was more talking about the dirty play.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:53 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebleeder38
Kind of off topic, but could you imagine how nasty a Foote-Pronger pairing would be to play against?
To Nasty Nasty SOB's, they would be horrible to play against.

Closed Thread