Commodore and Krahn sent down

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

vCash: 500
Commodore and Krahn sent down

According to calgarypuck.com.

Should mean Turke is ready to go on Saturday. Surprised that Commodore cleared waivers, I think we got lucky there. I think a few years down the line some teams might regret not grabbing him for free while they had the chance.

Krahn will be in Vegas, Commodore presumably in Lowell.

Means Lombardi stays up.

In other news it looks like Briere has hurt himself and will miss the game on Sat.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:44 PM
ForeignFlame

I'm surprised Commodore got sent down. The general consensus from most fans was that he had beaten Montador for the 7th D spot.

Official Link: www.calgaryflames.com

Old
10-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

I'm assuming Commodore was sent down because Rhino is set to come off the IR, and Lombardi is playing like he deserves to be here, atleast for now.

I am surprised, though, that neither Montador or Commodore were given a looksee in the regular season so far. Since Gauts and Commodore are similar players, it would have been nice to see Commodore step in for atleast a game. I personally think that Monty should have been sent down.

Also, if this emergence of Lombardi keeps up, what'll happen to McAmmond or Conroy? Seems like Conroy, or even McAmmond (who hasn't looked very impressive so far) might be the odd man out by the end of the year, as Rhino will likely be kept over Connie. I'm hoping that Conroy signs an extension, but Lombardi will need a permanent spot by next year. With Yelle and Betts locking up the 3rd and 4th line spots, Conroy, Rhino and Lombardi will be fighting for the last two remaining center positions.

With Saprykin, Gelinas and Mcammond, a glaring need right now is for a top-six power LW. Can this be addressed by making one of McAmmond, Gelinas, Conroy or Gauthier available? I hope it does. Some size is needed on the left side.

Some options? Three off the top of my head are Mark Bell, Fredrik Modin or even a man who has played LW at times, Chris Gratton. Would love to see any of these three in Calgary, as they'd be an upgrade to our offense.

Realistically, Gauthier would be the player of choice for a team looking for defense (ex. Boston) or a team in need of a center that has $2 mill to kick around for Conroy (Detroit, LA, NY, etc.)

Commodore could then step in and establish himself on the blueline in Gauthier's spot. It's time to give Mike a real shot at becoming a cog on the Flames blueline.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:16 AM
MaLockFan

Lowell says thanks

Hey guys, Just wanted to express my thanks at all the quality players the Flames are sending down to us. Jason Morgan stands out in my mind so far but all of the Flames prospects Sabourin, Morgan, Dome are head and shoulders above the Canes prospects.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:26 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
With Saprykin, Gelinas and Mcammond, a glaring need right now is for a top-six power LW. Can this be addressed by making one of McAmmond, Gelinas, Conroy or Gauthier available? I hope it does. Some size is needed on the left side.

Some options? Three off the top of my head are Mark Bell, Fredrik Modin or even a man who has played LW at times, Chris Gratton. Would love to see any of these three in Calgary, as they'd be an upgrade to our offense.
The time to get Gratton was last year, and there was a missed opportunity. He fell out of favor with Sabres management, and a great many fans, to due his scoreless streaks. (The same situation may occur in Phoenix.) When he is on, Gratton is a physical force on the ice, and is extremely difficult to move in front of the net. A coach, such as Daryl Sutter, might've been just what he needed to channel his focus on a more consistent basis. It should also be noted that he always performed best with talented linemates with a decent amount of ice time.

Phoenix gave up the flashy, but smallish, Daniel Briere to acquire Gratton. Since McAmmond was brought back for a 4th round draft pick, it would take considerably more to land Gratton. Of the names mentioned, Gauthier would appear to be the most tradeable asset. It wouldn't make good sense, from the offense's standpoint, to unload Gelinas and/or Conroy at this juncture. If the Flames were out at the trade deadline, both players would be coveted by serious contenders.

Fredrik Modin has the size but doesn't have the intimidation factor that a power forward should possess. Mark Bell is probably one of the young players Chicago will want to build around in addition to Ruutu & Calder. Eric Daze might be of interest, and the Blackhawks would possibly be willing to move him. However, without looking at the salaries, he's probably making a hefty chunk of change. His name may have come up before in previous trade talks (i.e. before Derek Morris left town).

Old
10-17-2003, 06:08 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
The time to get Gratton was last year, and there was a missed opportunity. He fell out of favor with Sabres management, and a great many fans, to due his scoreless streaks. (The same situation may occur in Phoenix.) When he is on, Gratton is a physical force on the ice, and is extremely difficult to move in front of the net. A coach, such as Daryl Sutter, might've been just what he needed to channel his focus on a more consistent basis. It should also be noted that he always performed best with talented linemates with a decent amount of ice time.

Phoenix gave up the flashy, but smallish, Daniel Briere to acquire Gratton. Since McAmmond was brought back for a 4th round draft pick, it would take considerably more to land Gratton. Of the names mentioned, Gauthier would appear to be the most tradeable asset. It wouldn't make good sense, from the offense's standpoint, to unload Gelinas and/or Conroy at this juncture. If the Flames were out at the trade deadline, both players would be coveted by serious contenders.

Fredrik Modin has the size but doesn't have the intimidation factor that a power forward should possess. Mark Bell is probably one of the young players Chicago will want to build around in addition to Ruutu & Calder. Eric Daze might be of interest, and the Blackhawks would possibly be willing to move him. However, without looking at the salaries, he's probably making a hefty chunk of change. His name may have come up before in previous trade talks (i.e. before Derek Morris left town).
I'm not too sure CGY would be interested in Daze. He is often injured (he's out with yet another back injury right now, if memory serves correct) and he makes a lot of $$ ($3,200,000.00 to be exact, where I'm sure there are also bonuses on top of that).

Old
10-17-2003, 06:18 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLockFan
Hey guys, Just wanted to express my thanks at all the quality players the Flames are sending down to us. Jason Morgan stands out in my mind so far but all of the Flames prospects Sabourin, Morgan, Dome are head and shoulders above the Canes prospects.
That's great to hear. Just keep giving us updates and we'll make sure your team is stocked

Old
10-17-2003, 08:49 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLockFan
We aim to please

Old
10-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
I'm not too sure CGY would be interested in Daze. He is often injured (he's out with yet another back injury right now, if memory serves correct) and he makes a lot of $$ ($3,200,000.00 to be exact, where I'm sure there are also bonuses on top of that).
The proposal, if it could even be called that, was just hypothetically throwing a name out to build upon Ice Cream Man's ideas. For argument's sake, it could be taken a step further. It was duly noted that Daze probably makes a hefty chunk of change. Having said that, the roster deletions would need to be factored in to determine the exact cost to the Flames.

Best case scenario: the Flames are in the playoff hunt near the deadline. Coach Daryl Sutter puts on the GM hat, realizing that he'll need *some* additional fire power before the deadline to secure a spot, and help lift the team during the playoffs. If this can be clearly demonstrated to the ownership group, of course they'd be willing to increase the spending a bit. In anticipation of additional revenue, generated from post-season play at the Saddledome, a cost justification wouldn't be a major undertaking.

Eric Daze might be a good candidate to be traded at the March deadline. Assuming a transaction could be worked out including Denis Gauthier (who's already played under Brian Sutter) and Dean McAmmond (who's played for the Blackhawks previously). Then, a fair percentage of Daze's salary is eaten up. Also, the remaining portion of Daze's '03-'04 salary would not be substantial, as it would be near the end of the regular season anyway.

Daze might look pretty good to more than a few Flames fans as the 2nd line LW. This scenario is not as impossible. You can always count on, at least, one surprise team qualifying for the playoffs each year, with some of the elite teams making early exits.

As an aside: the latest edition of The Hockey News lists no injuries for the Blackhawks. (The Blackhawks moderator had been known to visit this board on occasion. BR, can you confirm or deny the health status of Eric Daze?)

Closed Thread