HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marchant 3 points/Niinimaa +3

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Dale

vCash: 500
Marchant 3 points/Niinimaa +3

I like keeping track of recently traded Oilers. In their outings both marchant and Niinimaa had great games. Todd had a goal and two assists while Janne played a really physical game and blocked a ton of shots-also had an assist and was a +3. Islander fans were very happy. Grier also had a good game against TO with some huge hits including an elbow.

I really miss all of these guys for both their hockey skills and the personality they brought to the Oilers.

Center Ice is great for keeping tabs but the announcers don't compare to Sportsnet and CBC.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:41 AM
OYLer

Nice to see Rosie, Toddy and Janne doing well, and yes, losing to Vancouver always rankles with the digestive juices. This is especially true for die hard Copper & Blue fans who looked forward to enjoying Canada's Turkey Day without feeling compelled to name the main course. Yes, our roasted big bird for this Thanksgiving is a Cory Cross, a free-ranging breed, not recommended in a pinch when pressed for time, but when roasted slowly and basted often can lack toughness. But let's not forget the center-breasted Smyth, who with a no look passing aimlessness made himself a prime selection for a dressing up, or is that down.

Wait a minute, that's what those who chose to have the alternative duck roast on this thankful day were forced to pluck off of the still wild and undisciplined Moreau Mallard before serving up dinner. This fowl or is that foul remains tough, but he of the eider duck sub-class still flies with wings carried too high. Thus resulting in eiderdown being stuffed into the sin-bin yet again, leaving a still too gamey aftertaste in the mouth. One could go on and on, for there were a large variety of Oiler fowl on display for the west coast editon of HNIC. So let's just give thanks that Edmonton still has a professional NHL team.

No, I'm not Chicken Little, and although the E-Town weather has recently been somewhat overcast, the sky is not falling. However, when a team's collective focus, courage and endurance are all found to be lacking; when intestinal fortitude is called into question, team leaders must cast off the lethargy of too much turkey, tighten the belt a notch and avoid being T-boned in Cowtown.

But last Saturday night at GM Place definitely reminded me of that classic episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati." Remember where someone forgot turkeys couldn't fly and a good-intentioned promotional give-away went horribly wrong. I guess the Oilers have to decide if they are going to soar like eagles or roost like turkeys! Real contenders just don't have two bad games in a row. So who will show up at the Pengrowth Saddledome in Calgary tonight?

To be prey or Predator that is the question.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:03 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
K, they had one bad game and they are only two games in and you have already determined all this? Seems like somebody is jumping to conclusions to me.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:14 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Center Ice is great for keeping tabs but the announcers don't compare to Sportsnet and CBC.
Yeah, I've been doing that too. Great entertainment. If you try to add EX-Oilers on top of current Oilers to your "to-track" list, suddenly every game has interest

And I can tell you that everything hasn't been completely rosey for Grier (pun regretted). He was blowing some golden 5-bell opportunities in the season opener. I mean absolutely ALONE in front of the net with a sweet feed from Jagr...and completely bobbling the puck. It looked like he had a broken scaphoid...

Old
10-14-2003, 07:22 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I love Mike, but I dunno if he's the kinda guy you want to put on a line with Jagr........ He scores most of his goals from pure hard work, Jagr is about the exact opposite - Don't think Rosey has the hands to play with Jagr. God I miss him though!!! I mean having him on the thirdline instead of Pisani would be SUCH a HUGE difference!

Old
10-14-2003, 09:27 AM
oilflash

[quote]But last Saturday night at GM Place definitely reminded me of that classic episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati." Remember where someone forgot turkeys couldn't fly and a good-intentioned promotional give-away went horribly wrong.[/quote

Yo OYLer - so there are some older dudes like myself who comment on this site. I'm pretty new here but i like humor. Some funny stuff -but i had to read it twice. A little dense and i mean that in a good way. That reference to WKRP got me chuckling just remembering that particular program from that 80s sitcom. Keep them comments coming and i will be happy to read them.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:23 AM
OYLer

Thanx oilflash, well you got the "older" part right. As my granddaughter (6 and already an Oilers' fan) reminds me, "Papa you promised, no more yelling at the TV.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Grier was suspended for one game by the NHL for an elbow in the Toronto-Washington game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...45&hubName=nhl

10-14-2003, 01:16 PM
OYLer

I saw Grier's hit on the highlight reels and we certainly don't want anyone like Raffi Torres, big Georges and/or Ethan Moreau to be that intimidating by breaking the rules (he says with tongue firmly in cheek). Before the over-expansion into US markets and the watering down of the NHL's competitveness and self-policing (the instigator penalty being a good example), that call on Grier would not have been made. The Americanization and silly-fying of hardnosed hockey where we have to call diving (a non-call) as an off-setting penalty to placate uninformed fans is sickening.

But worse, stickwork penalties like Staois getting 8 stitches from Cooke's stick, the eventual goals scorer on the play, that penalty not being called is ludicrous. And did anyone see Chris Pronger's maliciously crosscheck delivered to Paul Kariyia 8 full seconds after he scored on the Blues. Because Paul wasn't seriously hurt no suspension was given. That's just not good officiating. A 10 game suspension should have been slapped onto Pronger. Grier's hit was a much harder call to make, closer to being legal and at least in the heat of play. Maybe Grier deserves the one gamer but what's up with Pronger? Why wasn't Cooke's goal reviewed upstairs and disallowed?

Old
10-14-2003, 02:17 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Just like there are "older" oilers fans on these boards there are also "american oiler" fans on these boards so before you go blaming the "destruction and deterioration" of "your" game on those of us here in the US take a step back and realize that you're painting with an awfully big brush right now.

Old
10-14-2003, 05:52 PM
OYLer

Hey G-Double, exactly what part of the "awfully big brush" do you take issue with. The orginal six had 2 Canadian teams and 4 American teams so all long time NHL hockey fans recognize that there are great numbers of very knowledgeable American Hockey Fans. I spoke about the 'over-expansion into US markets' and the Corporate and NHLPA's greed to rush into any available market and the good of the game of hockey be damned.

Many of the newer rule changes were instituted to make NHL hockey more marketable in the newer big hockey markets in the States and I personally don't like it most of them. I have friends in Detroit who agree with me 100%. The whole CBA problems are the result of ice which has become tilted too steeply in favor of the large market American teams.

So you seem insulted and I'm wondering why?

Old
10-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Mr Sakich

quick update:

1 Janne was -3 the other night to get his +/- back to even. He was completely responsible for the game tieing goal (unfortunately, it was the goal atlanta scored to tie the game late, he didn't pick up his check,outmuscled by savard!!! )

2 carter update according to spectors:

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports Rangers GM/coach Glen Sather tore into his players during a recent team meeting, threatening to make changes to the roster if the club didn't improve from it's woeful 0-2 start to this season. Apparently Chris Simon, Anson Carter, Dan LaCouture and Alexei Kovalev were singled out for poor performance.

3 Todd Marchant update:

he is still over-paid. Stay tuned for further updates.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:45 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Yep, besides Lindros nobody has played with much heart from what I've seen/herd (and what I've seen is admittedly small).

Old
10-16-2003, 07:59 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Before the over-expansion into US markets and the watering down of the NHL's competitveness and self-policing (the instigator penalty being a good example), that call on Grier would not have been made. The Americanization and silly-fying of hardnosed hockey where we have to call diving (a non-call) as an off-setting penalty to placate uninformed fans is sickening.

But worse, stickwork penalties like Staois getting 8 stitches from Cooke's stick, the eventual goals scorer on the play, that penalty not being called is ludicrous. And did anyone see Chris Pronger's maliciously crosscheck delivered to Paul Kariyia 8 full seconds after he scored on the Blues. Because Paul wasn't seriously hurt no suspension was given. That's just not good officiating. A 10 game suspension should have been slapped onto Pronger. Grier's hit was a much harder call to make, closer to being legal and at least in the heat of play. Maybe Grier deserves the one gamer but what's up with Pronger? Why wasn't Cooke's goal reviewed upstairs and disallowed?
Firstly, the NHL is really trying to crack down on hits to the head. Grier's hit wasn't that bad, but he smacked Reichel's head with his upper arm into the glass. 5 years ago, that isn't a suspension, but they want to crack down on this, so now it is.

No penalty was called, because the ref at the back blew it. It's very simple. Not everything gets called, because not everything gets seen. Prongers crosscheck didn't warrant a suspension. He was assessed a penalty at the time, and Kariya wasn't hit either in the head, or into the boards. Cooke's goal wasn't reviewed because that isn't part of the criteria used. There are only certain instances in which a goal can be reviewed, and a potential penalty isn't one of them (that is why the 2nd ref is there).

Old
10-16-2003, 08:06 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Firstly, the NHL is really trying to crack down on hits to the head. Grier's hit wasn't that bad, but he smacked Reichel's head with his upper arm into the glass. 5 years ago, that isn't a suspension, but they want to crack down on this, so now it is.

No penalty was called, because the ref at the back blew it. It's very simple. Not everything gets called, because not everything gets seen. Prongers crosscheck didn't warrant a suspension. He was assessed a penalty at the time, and Kariya wasn't hit either in the head, or into the boards. Cooke's goal wasn't reviewed because that isn't part of the criteria used. There are only certain instances in which a goal can be reviewed, and a potential penalty isn't one of them (that is why the 2nd ref is there).
Ya, two years ago Roberts hits Kenny J's head from behind with his elbow into the glass face first. He didn't even get a look from the league. If Grier deserved a one game suspension, then Roberts deserved a 10 gamer (don't know where all this came from). I guess just wanted to show how the league is SO inconsistent with WTF they are doing and how they are calling thing and how they are punishing players.

Closed Thread