HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General OT (Some Obscene Number Y Tres) (No Politics, NO SPOILERS, see OP)

Old
10-20-2015, 07:18 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

vCash: 500
General OT (Some Obscene Number Y Tres) (No Politics, NO SPOILERS, see OP)

Previous: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1743243

Remember, this is an OT thread in comparison to Caps hockey, but HF wants to keep the general political talk confined to the politics forum:

Quote:
10) Off-Topic Posting: Posts are to be on the topic of the board description where they're posted. Off Topic posts may be moved or closed at the moderators discretion. We do not allow homework threads. All political discussion is to be done on the Political Discussion Forum.
Do not post political discussion in this thread. Political overlap is possible in some cases, at HF discretion, but run of the mill election talk is expressly directed to the politics forum.

Do not post spoilers of any kind regarding recent TV shows or movies. That includes plot, twists, mood, references, alive/dead comments, or anything else that might offer clues regarding what to expect, excepting a personal thumbs up or down. If you want to post more information than that use white text or a spoiler tag. If you use white text remember your quoted text will show the spoiler. If you quote a spoiler, edit it out. Preview all posts first. If you really want to talk to someone about something in detail without extending these courtesies to the public then send them a private message.

Last edited by g00n: 12-18-2015 at 10:31 AM.
calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2015, 07:21 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Usiel, that looks amazing. $5K is way out of my league in any case. $2K is probably my ceiling and I'd rather stay well under that.

Old
10-21-2015, 10:09 AM
usiel

vCash: 1480
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicapsfan View Post
Usiel, that looks amazing. $5K is way out of my league in any case. $2K is probably my ceiling and I'd rather stay well under that.
I'm an admitted videophile nerd so probably in the one percentile that has no problem spending green for that. Oh and being a confirmed bachelor doesn't hurt either .

But for a more regular buyer I would go with a 4k TV for the future (if you like blurays you might want to see if it will support HDR), go for a size slightly larger then you think you need, also read the reviews of how well it upscales non-4k content. Also you might want to verify the HDMI inputs versions..just to say ahead of the curve 2.2 is good.

Thats another thing I have to remember when I do upgrade will have to do the same for my receiver .

10-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I honestly don't see the point of investing in a 4K TV. Aside of high-end gaming rigs (which you'd probably run through a true 4K monitor rather than a TV), there's almost zero 4K content out there. Our broadcast infrastructure isn't built to handle widespread 4K broadcasts, either (heck, a very large portion of our HD broadcasts are still 720p). By the time the broadcast infrastructure catches up with the increased bandwidth demands, I suspect they'll skip straight to 8K.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 09:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

There's no reason to spend large $ on a TV right now. 4k is coming down fast....standards are still being fought over. I'd wait 1-2 years before a purchase over 2k. I just bought a 70" for over the fireplace that rocks....next is the new projector for the man cave.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 11:59 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
There's no reason to spend large $ on a TV right now. 4k is coming down fast....standards are still being fought over. I'd wait 1-2 years before a purchase over 2k. I just bought a 70" for over the fireplace that rocks....next is the new projector for the man cave.
So 1-2 years seems to be the horizon. I can surely wait that long and probably should. At least my bank account would appreciate it.

Old
10-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Chokingdogs

So I'm going to jump into the time machine and head back to 2007 for a blu-ray player. Been looking at and reading reviews ( AVS forum, Cnet, etc. )and such on many of them, and what I'm kinda leaning towards is the Sony bdp s6500. Anybody out there have that model, and if so, thoughts?

it seems as if all the players in my price range ( under 150 bucks ) are nothing more than big roku boxes with a BD drive.

I dont care about streaming or how many apps come preloaded. What I do care about is pix quality, reliabity, load speed and noise during playback. I'd like a player to be 3d and have 4k upsampling, even though I don't own a 3d ready or ultra HD tv.

I'm old school, born before the Clinton administration, so i have no problem opening a jewel box, pressing the eject button, etc., heck...i even have one of those things with an arm and a round plate that spins really fast and if you put a black thing on it noise happens! lol

Ive looked at various other Sammy, lg, pioneer, Panasonic etc ones, but they all seem to have more negative reviews than Sony and get ripped about things I take issue with, specifically noise and reliability.

Oppo seems to be the "go to" players, darbee ones especially, but I ain't spending 500 clams on a machine that'll be "obsolete" in a year.

Thoughts on non Sony models are welcome, providing they're machines purchased lately enough that they're still on shelves today. Thanks

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 10:29 AM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
So I'm going to jump into the time machine and head back to 2007 for a blu-ray player. Been looking at and reading reviews ( AVS forum, Cnet, etc. )and such on many of them, and what I'm kinda leaning towards is the Sony bdp s6500. Anybody out there have that model, and if so, thoughts?

it seems as if all the players in my price range ( under 150 bucks ) are nothing more than big roku boxes with a BD drive.

I dont care about streaming or how many apps come preloaded. What I do care about is pix quality, reliabity, load speed and noise during playback. I'd like a player to be 3d and have 4k upsampling, even though I don't own a 3d ready or ultra HD tv.

I'm old school, born before the Clinton administration, so i have no problem opening a jewel box, pressing the eject button, etc., heck...i even have one of those things with an arm and a round plate that spins really fast and if you put a black thing on it noise happens! lol

Ive looked at various other Sammy, lg, pioneer, Panasonic etc ones, but they all seem to have more negative reviews than Sony and get ripped about things I take issue with, specifically noise and reliability.

Oppo seems to be the "go to" players, darbee ones especially, but I ain't spending 500 clams on a machine that'll be "obsolete" in a year.

Thoughts on non Sony models are welcome, providing they're machines purchased lately enough that they're still on shelves today. Thanks
Born before Clinton administration is old school, what does that make people born before the Nixon administration...

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 01:29 PM
aonb

Guys, is there a possibility do receive fan pack from Caps? Honestly, Caps are the only team which didn't even respond to my email request

Maybe some of you guys has an experience with fan packs? I mean European fans, because it's way more difficult to receive fan pack when you live in Europe, than in US/Canada

aonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 02:28 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
Born before Clinton administration is old school, what does that make people born before the Nixon administration...

Old
10-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 03:08 PM
usiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicapsfan View Post
So 1-2 years seems to be the horizon. I can surely wait that long and probably should. At least my bank account would appreciate it.
If this is more of just an optional upgrade (versus "crap my tv just broke") yeah definitely hold off for OLED 4k. 4k bluray players are only just starting to come out this fall and streaming is pretty limited. Television manufactures definitely pushing the 4k thing. I don't mind being more of a physical media guy as it keeps bluray somewhat relevant

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2015, 09:09 PM
hb11xchamps

If anyone else still watches, worst/saddest TWD episode in a long time

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2015, 09:24 PM
usiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Have not watched the eps for this season yet. Still making my way through last season bluray set unfortunately.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2015, 09:31 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
That scene you are referencing was particularly brutal. That being said I am not sure what we think happened actually happened.

Jeeze reading this back this is one vague post

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2015, 10:11 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
That scene you are referencing was particularly brutal. That being said I am not sure what we think happened actually happened.

Jeeze reading this back this is one vague post
Had the same thought at first, but it is an extremely extremely extremely tough situation the character is in if what I thought happened didn't actually happen.

Old
10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Wow Walking Dead. Yeah it DID happen according to the Showrunner's comments I read....

Very sad....huge loss IMO.

Old
10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Wow Walking Dead. Yeah it DID happen according to the Showrunner's comments I read....

Very sad....huge loss IMO.
Really? I didn't get that vibe at all from his comments.

I havent watched yet it...but until I see the body...aint buying it.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 05:44 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

I mean with a mob like that you would figure they would just keep on eating. Kind of weird they left that character off the in memnoriam of during talking head.

Not to mention the other character that seemed to be in some serious trouble.

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 07:47 PM
hb11xchamps

If the said character we are talking about is still alive and manages to escape that herd, the show would lose all credibility for me. There's no way they could manage to get out of the situation they are in.

Old
10-26-2015, 09:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:

http://www.blastr.com/2015-10-26/sco...n-walking-dead

Old
10-26-2015, 09:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
If the said character we are talking about is still alive and manages to escape that herd, the show would lose all credibility for me. There's no way they could manage to get out of the situation they are in.
Absolutely right. Now if he doesn't get knocked off there's hope, but we've seen other bodies completely consumed for all intents and purposes. There would be scraps left IMO. Doubt we see a body or even a walker version.

Old
10-26-2015, 10:00 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Considering how said character died in the comic...it would be a shame to off him this way.

Old
10-27-2015, 06:16 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Finally watched it. So not dead.

Old
10-27-2015, 03:15 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Finally watched it. So not dead.
Here is an article pointing out some good points to support your claim.