HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TV Broadcast Disappointment Thread

Old
10-21-2015, 05:48 PM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
TV Broadcast Disappointment Thread

This seems like it will be a major topic this year and I figured we should have a place to talk about it rather than fill up the Observations thread with this content.

Though there were many things that made me shake my head last night, Stu and Willy not showing better hockey knowledge and missing a teaching moment on the following play was really frustrating.

While reviewing James Neal's first goal there was no explanation of the importance of Forsberg missing that puck. As the play moved to the offensives right, Forsberg, a right handed shot, looks like he is going to get a shot which causes Bishop to commit to the short side post since that is almost the only place Forsberg could put that puck. Instead it goes to Neal, a left handed shot, who is in position to open up his body and shoot to the far post.

This is the type of thing that you'll hear on other broadcasts that our guys miss and that sucks for newer fans and youngsters that want to learn the game.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Pred303

vCash: 50
lol fangs. dead on. thru six games I only recall two things they have mentioned that is in way critical of us. grudgingly saying that hutton should have had one of the goals allowed and jones turnover that led to the breakaway goal, and they had to say something on those.

analyze. when you analyze you have to be both complimentary and critical. it's your frigging job guys.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 06:51 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Does anyone know for sure if switching Pete to radio was a Preds decision or a Fox sports decision?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Does anyone know for sure if switching Pete to radio was a Preds decision or a Fox sports decision?
I think someone on here said they talked to Pete and said he had nothing to do with it, which, if true is an absolutely boneheaded move by Fox.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 07:04 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Their on-air break down of the difference between seflies and giffys was cringe worthy. Willing to give them some rope early in the season though as they themselves find their groove.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootooTrain View Post
Their on-air break down of the difference between seflies and giffys was cringe worthy. Willing to give them some rope early in the season though as they themselves find their groove.
I don't expect much to change. I've thought Willy sucked already on the radio and Stu is just bad either way. Pete was able to mask some of the bad so it wasn't as horrible. Now we have a guy with no deep knowledge of the game alongside him.

Old
10-21-2015, 07:32 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Willy is okay with his actual voice but a lot of times he's so slow to pick up what's actually happening and by the time he does something else is happening in the play that should be talked about.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I can say that "RIGHT IN FRONT" is a lot less meaningful for me listening to a radio broadcast than a TV one. Misfires all around on this.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 09:36 PM
LCPreds

I have yet to see a game on TV unfortunately. Or maybe fortunately based on this thread. I just want to know one thing. How many times does "tic tac toe" get said in the TV broadcast now?

LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2015, 10:40 PM
braindead

Considering that three of our four broadcasters should be fired, I thought the switch has been an improvement . Willie is better on tv and, god help us, seems to have worked on it over the summer. By the time he is Pete's age, he should be good enough to broadcast Bluejacket games.

Stu is better with willie

Pete is better at covering for Brent.

It's a giant turd sandwich with cheese.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Is this there idea to get people to buy season tickets and go to every ****ing game? If so? Jesus

I had to drive around and listen to Pete Tuesday Night because I can't watch the TV broadcast anymore.

I hope to ****ing god that everyone is fired after the season.

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 05:31 AM
Pred303

how has the radio broadcast been so far? haven't heard it yet. is mason or Peterson the color guy?

Old
10-22-2015, 07:00 AM
deanwormer

Brent is supposed to be cutting back and Mason is supposed to do about a third of the games.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Considering that three of our four broadcasters should be fired, I thought the switch has been an improvement . Willie is better on tv and, god help us, seems to have worked on it over the summer. By the time he is Pete's age, he should be good enough to broadcast Bluejacket games.

Stu is better with willie

Pete is better at covering for Brent.

It's a giant turd sandwich with cheese.
I disagree. He's just as bad because he forgets he is on tv. He is calling the games as if he is still on the radio.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
how has the radio broadcast been so far? haven't heard it yet. is mason or Peterson the color guy?
How has the radio broadcast been? I listen to them at the games since I go alone and it confuses the heck out of me. I am watching the game live, yet hearing Pete's voice. This makes me feel like I should have a TV in front of me not the live game. After years of that voice on TV, my brain is just wired to associate it with TV.

Mason so far has done the road games while Brent has done the home games.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I know Pete and Terry (the latter in particular) got a lot of flack, but I miss them; the broadcast just does not have the same energy.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I know Pete and Terry (the latter in particular) got a lot of flack, but I miss them; the broadcast just does not have the same energy.
Loved Pete and Terry, despite Terry's oddities.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

It's just really dumb and unfortunate that a team in one of the 4 major sports is dealing with this level of incompetence. Well, you could say 3 major sports since NFL teams don't have designated TV broadcasters.

Old
10-22-2015, 08:02 AM
LCPreds

What was the story behind losing Tom Callahan? That guy was great. We need another one like him.

LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
What was the story behind losing Tom Callahan? That guy was great. We need another one like him.
If I'm not mistaken it was a personal decision. I mean, more power to him to do what he wants but go figure that we had a guy really good at radio and he didn't want to do it anymore.

Old
10-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Filip Forceberg

Willy has been better than I expected, but he's still pretty bad.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 10:29 AM
Pred303

i agree that willy has been better than i thought he would. his problems are;
1)he talks in a monotone voice
2)he's afraid of making a mistake so his delievery is very mechanical
3)he isn't a good enough student of the game to recognize what are true scoring chances so you sure cann't tell by inflection when possibilities arise
4)he doesn't know the game well enough to make critical observations
5)and because of that defers to stu totally, who is a blithering idiot
6)isn't passionate enough about the game of hockey, so there is no true genuine excitement.

it all makes for an exceptionally dull broadcast, punctuatied by periods of stu's slow, rambling idiotic comments about the wrong things at the wrong times.

other than that i've been fairly pleased. (sort of like an "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" type comment)

Old
10-22-2015, 11:19 AM
LetsGetThis

I have a difficult time staying awake during the tv broadcast now. Willy's voice is so monotone that I'm asleep in no time. It also doesn't help that I sit close enough to the broadcast booth that I can hear them calling the games. I nearly fall asleep there, too.

LetsGetThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

It also doesn't say a lot for the organization that we basically handed Willy a radio job despite him having zero experience with hockey play-by-play, and that they've somehow allowed it to escalate to TV. Or Fox. Whoever's decision it is.

Seriously. There's an NHL TV broadcaster whose experience with the game is learning it from scratch as an adult because his station picked up the Preds and he was hosting the pre and postgame shows so he learned hockey on the fly in his 30s. Willy is a baseball player and that's really it. He was in the Blue Jays minor league system in the 90s or something. If I was an aspiring broadcaster fighting my way through the minors with a dream of an NHL job I'd be absolutely furious.

I like Willy as a radio host personality, I really do, but him being in this role for a professional sports team is absurd. Think about the Blackhawks or Yankees pulling a guy with no experience in the sport (outside of what I mentioned earlier) to be the voice of their broadcasts.

Last edited by Drake744: 10-22-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old
10-22-2015, 11:32 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Willy is better than expected, Stu is and continues to be awful. I think that whatever happened with Tom Callahan that made him quit the radio broadcast(and now moving out of market) was a blow...he was the best option to replace Pete.

With that said, angrily tweeting the team to "put Pete back on" will do exactly nothing.

Maybe I don't pay much attention to the broadcast team, at least not enough that I'm actively bothered by it...Stu sucks, but to be honest, so did Terry--just, differently.