HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TV Broadcast Disappointment Thread

Old
04-21-2017, 06:45 AM
FossilFndr

vCash: 500
From 'Observations'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Is it really the end of Fox sports preds Announcers Stu Grimson and company... why ? You guys won't have a locale feed for the rest of the playoff ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Radio yes, but I'm guessing once the first round is over, NBC has exclusive rights for the TV broadcast the rest of the way.
As much as we complain about Stu in particular which team has the best TV PBP & Color guys? Seems like many don't like the national guys and I rarely get to hear other teams in house broadcast 'talent'. Many of us want Chris Mason to take over Stu's job but nationwide who has the best TV broadcast team and why?

FossilFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:02 AM
hockey diva

John Forsland is good on PBP. The color guy for the EDM/SJ series is also good but I suspect he works for Sportsnet. Just no Emerick/Olyck please.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:18 AM
KurtAngle

I couldn't care less about the announcers as I'm mainly watching the game if I am not there.

But, if Stu is so awful like so many of you like to say...why is he still there after these years?

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:23 AM
FossilFndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngle View Post
I couldn't care less about the announcers as I'm mainly watching the game if I am not there.

But, if Stu is so awful like so many of you like to say...why is he still there after these years?
Pretty face?

Old
04-21-2017, 08:34 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I would take the guys that were on NBC last night in a heartbeat to be our local broadcast guys.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:24 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Carolina and Dallas (when Dave Strader is there, spent most or all of this year fighting cancer) have the best TV broadcast teams. John Forslund should be the next national voice for the NHL once Doc steps down or the rights change hands, whichever happens first. I've given Dave Strader flack for his lack of preparation on national games in the past, but he is excellent with Dallas and Daryl Reaugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I would take the guys that were on NBC last night in a heartbeat to be our local broadcast guys.
Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro? Yeah, I'd take that combo in a heartbeat, but they're ringers from TSN, not the local yokels so many teams are insistent on using.

The unfortunate part is, there are going to be way more Willy Daunics than John Forslunds in about a decade, when all the legends and tenured guys start retiring, because the same thing is going to happen in college hockey (I think of guys like Bernie Corbett at BU, Tim Hennessey at UND, both getting on in years), and the number of qualified broadcasters in the AHL can be counted on one hand. The money and the reps just aren't there for young broadcasters who want to break into hockey. There aren't many Tom Callahans lurking around these days. (God, I miss Tom Callahan.)

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:40 AM
FossilFndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
That's one of the reasons I brought this up, definitely liked them.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post
That's one of the reasons I brought this up, definitely liked them.
They're better than our crew because they're actual real experienced and veteran professionals.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Hinterland

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...sion-1.4063170

Since we have to deal with McGuire for Games 1-3...can somebody tell me if the fact that CBC will broadcast the first two games means that they'll actually produce the game themselves or will they just go with the NBC one? I know Sportsnet does that.

Or...in other words...any chance that we'll be able to avoid McGuire without having to treat ourselves to the quebec feed?

Hinterland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Hinterland

http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/04/an...-on-sportsnet/

Nevermind. Found it. This is good news.
Not the greatest fan of those two but at least we didn't get Romanuk

Old
04-25-2017, 08:46 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 50
Quote:

He's only in his second year on TV. I'm guessing not enough people complain to the network to make a difference

04-26-2017, 07:04 AM
FossilFndr

The reason I revived this thread after 3 + months of inactivity was not for Stu bashing, it was asking

"Many of us want Chris Mason to take over Stu's job but nationwide who has the best TV broadcast team and why?"

A few individual names were thrown out but no one really answered the why.
  • General hockey knowledge?
    More offensive knowledge?
    More diverse observations?
    Better delivery?
    Less talking over the PBP guy?
    Different interaction with PBP guy?
    Less a homer?
    More a homer?

I was expecting a team name and why x & y work well together. What they contribute to the TV viewer that Willy and Stu do not.

worstfaceoffmanever did come closest to the type of answer I hoped.

Might make this my first thread on the main boards.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...#post131468173

Last edited by FossilFndr: 04-26-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added the link to main board question
Old
04-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Hinterland

Probably have to go with Fox Sports Detroit, North or Sun. FSN because of it's intermission programm. Kevin Gorg is an excellent reporter. Asks precisely what you wanna know and is also well respected amongst the player. Michael Russo, their insider from the startribunes is great as well. Also like they have Wes Walz during pre and postgame. Lots of knowledge.

FSD because of Ozzy, Eliot and Redmond. The latter is a notorious homer of course but he's a legend and his excitement is great. Also knows his stuff well enough. Ozzy and Eliot are great analysts, could listen to them all day long. Ozzy is a superb colour guy as well. Quite calm, neutral and surprises you with stuff you didn't realize. Him and Redmond are like day and night but I like it. They're a good team. I also like Trevor Thompson. For a reporter, he knows hockey really well. Also adds another fun element to their broadcast. Their pre- and postgame program is also really great and at times also funny. Additional stuff like their light the lamp competition I also find interesting. You don't see that anywhere else.

My favourite broadcast would probably be FS Sun though. Mainly because of Engblom. Together with Ferraro, Boucher and Pang one of the top4 Analysts for me. They have extensive knowledge like nobody else, are pretty neutral and I also like their voices. Rick Peckham is a great play by play guy as well. Him and Engblom work well together. Intermission program features Andreychuk so not much to complain there as well.

Last edited by Hinterland: 04-26-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old
04-26-2017, 09:14 AM
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds

The one thing I'm not disappointment in our TV crew is Lindsey. Man, is she hot.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
I like Detroit's crew as well. This is a bit of a homer vote for a few reasons but I enjoy Florida's too. Maybe Goldstein the PBP is the reason why. Since Potvin joined him he's been okay but Goldstein is better. Also think Colorado and Dallas have solid crews as well.

Last edited by Drake744: Yesterday at 11:53 AM.
Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post
I was expecting a team name and why x & y work well together. What they contribute to the TV viewer that Willy and Stu do not.
What does a good broadcast team do that Wily and Stu don't?

Let's go one at a time here:

Willy - he's competent, but there's a certain artistry to play-by-play that he just doesn't have the knack for. He lacks vocabulary, he lacks tension in his voice for tense moments (like all through the playoffs), and instead of getting excited, he just yells when the Preds score. When you listen to the best, especially in hockey, the play-by-play ebbs and flows as the tension in the game rises and falls. Doc Emrick and Gary Thorne are the gold standard for this, and Gord Miller would be a prime example of all of those elements as well. They enhance the moment, rather than overriding the moment. Willy could still develop some of those things, but it's a little late in his career for that.

Stu - where to start. For one, other analysts are concise. They pick their spots better, and they tend to be a little more loose. Stu knows the game reasonably well, and he speaks clearly, but he also speaks too deliberately. I think part of that is his background as a lawyer. He would be better if he had someone better to work off of, but I still don't think he's a great fit for live commentary.

Willy and Stu would be a very good studio team. Stu especially is a great fit for the studio where he can make his points in a more deliberate fashion and maybe even debate them with another analyst. Willy is just an okay PBP guy who won't be as revered as Pete Weber when his time behind the mic is done unless he comes a long way in the next decade.

The Preds need to overhaul their broadcast crew again. Stu to the intermission team with Mark Howard and Terry Crisp, Willy back to radio, Pete Weber back to TV and two brand new analysts. I don't know all the politics behind why all these moves were made, but the way things are now feels too controlled and stiff and doesn't enhance the viewing experience.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Jonesey
Dept. of Defense

Find a way to bring Tom Callahan back. Put him on TV with Chris Mason. Leave Pete on radio and bring in a new Color guy. Brent needs to go as does Willie and Stu.

Old
04-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Hinterland

I actually like Stu. He's no sensation but he has a good voice and he clearly knows what he's talking about.

Lindsey is pretty good. Knows a lot about hockey but she developed some habits I can't stand like her "Guys". Also often starts her questions the same way. I might be the only one but it's freaking me out. Also part of the reason why I hate McGuire.

I find Willy a bit boring for a play by play guy. I think he could do more. He has the knowledge but he should tell us more of the stuff we don't realize. Could also do a bit more with his voice.

Crisp and Howard are really too much for me. Just two fat old men talking bs. They are competent but they rather make jokes probably nobody laughs about than to actually provide information. If you ask me, they're enjoying themselves more than anything else. Studio experts like Ozzy and Eliot play in a completely different league. Sorry, but it has to be said.

Overall I like the broadcast but I stopped watching pregame and intermission programs long ago.

Old
04-26-2017, 10:51 AM
KurtAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
The one thing I'm not disappointment in our TV crew is Lindsey. Man, is she hot.
Yes indeed! But she is actually competent.

To me the TV crew matters very little. In all sports I am watching the game and tune them out for the most part.

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Hinterland

Quote:
Yes indeed! But she is actually competent.

To me the TV crew matters very little. In all sports I am watching the game and tune them out for the most part.
I get. Not everybody cares as much as I do.
But man, does this also work when you have to listen to Emrick, McGuire or Romanuk?
Romanuk does Leafs Broadcasts but can't even distinguish between Nazem Kadri and Auston Matthews.
McGuire knows more about the players than they know about themselves and keeps talking about random stuff nobody cares about before finally asking for confirmation. Eh Eddie? Right, Doc? McGuire should be doing conversation classes, not hockey broadcasts.
Emrick is completely senile, is often completely lost and has no clue what's going on. Also thinks he's pretty funny if he's continously using idioms or even making up new words.

I'm pretty tolerant but you'd have to pay me for every minute I have to listen to those three...

Old
04-26-2017, 11:23 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Stu is NOT competent, or at least doesn't come off that way. Countless times, he's trying to figure out why a particular call was made or how a play came to be, and he's essentially analyzing a completely incorrect premise. To make matters worse, his endless love for any grinder and his "that's a bad call" for any penalty called on the Predators vs "that should be a good goal" for any goal under review...it's maddening. Completely unable to say a single negative thing about even the worst game.

I've had a whole season to digest why Matt Irwin, Harry Zolnierczyk and Austin Watson are the best thing since sliced bread.

Willy -- eh, he's a nice guy, and he does try...he just doesn't have the ideal cadence or delivery for PBP.

Yesterday, 07:12 AM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
Kenny and Pierre were the worst national commentators I have ever heard actually. Like I don't think they would even be good on a regional or team based assignment.

bdub24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:24 AM
FossilFndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
What does a good broadcast team do that Wily and Stu don't?

Let's go one at a time here:

cut for space***

Stu - where to start. For one, other analysts are concise. They pick their spots better, and they tend to be a little more loose. Stu knows the game reasonably well, and he speaks clearly, but he also speaks too deliberately. I think part of that is his background as a lawyer. He would be better if he had someone better to work off of, but I still don't think he's a great fit for live commentary.

cut ****
I do agree, To me Stu seems to talk like he is competing for air time with Willy instead of filling in short observations. Maybe Willy is giving him clues for water or while looking at monitor for something from control room and Stu doesn't know when to stop. I had not considered him as studio analyst, that probably suits him better.

Willy needs to lose the cross sports references and work on his cadence.

Thanks to Hinterland and Drake for positive examples that I'll try to listen to next season.

Old
Yesterday, 12:03 PM
wadesworld

Seeing as how he had never done hockey before, I'm willing to wait on Willy's continued growth.

My problem with Stu isn't so much his complete lack of criticism of the Preds or his often incorrect analysis, it's his overuse of phrases. Every year he picks 1 or 2 phrases that are his favorite and he absolutely runs them into the ground. "Stick in the undercarriage." We get it Stu, you think you're brilliant and funny for calling the player's feet his "undercarriage." You're neither. Stop. Just stop.

Brent Peterson, I'm sorry to say, needs to retire. I know he's a beloved ex-coach, but his condition is just making for bad radio.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:05 PM
FossilFndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Seeing as how he had never done hockey before, I'm willing to wait on Willy's continued growth.

My problem with Stu isn't so much his complete lack of criticism of the Preds or his often incorrect analysis, it's his overuse of phrases. Every year he picks 1 or 2 phrases that are his favorite and he absolutely runs them into the ground. "Stick in the undercarriage." We get it Stu, you think you're brilliant and funny for calling the player's feet his "undercarriage." You're neither. Stop. Just stop.

Brent Peterson, I'm sorry to say, needs to retire. I know he's a beloved ex-coach, but his condition is just making for bad radio.
So you give the analyst a pass on incorrect analysis and call him out on phrases, someone will have to 'activate' on that comment.

I lost my list but I had several of his phrases linked together into a question I thought about submitting on Twitter for in game comment/question to be answered but I don't have an account.