HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

TV Broadcast Disappointment Thread

Old
10-22-2015, 11:36 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
It also doesn't say a lot for the organization that we basically handed Willy a radio job despite him having zero experience with hockey play-by-play, and that they've somehow allowed it to escalate to TV. Or Fox. Whoever's decision it is.

Seriously. There's an NHL TV broadcaster whose experience with the game is learning it from scratch as an adult because his station picked up the Preds and he was hosting the pre and postgame shows so he learned hockey on the fly in his 30s. Willy is a baseball player and that's really it. He was in the Blue Jays minor league system in the 90s or something. If I was an aspiring broadcaster fighting my way through the minors with a dream of an NHL job I'd be absolutely furious.

I like Willy as a radio host personality, I really do, but him being in this role for a professional sports team is absurd. Think about the Blackhawks or Yankees pulling a guy with no experience in the sport (outside of what I mentioned earlier) to be the voice of their broadcasts.
We aren't NY or Chicago. Willy is a known name in a market with a growing--but marginal interest in hockey. To a fan that isn't watching hockey, having someone breaking the game down at a technical level isn't as important as simply having a familiar voice that they know and enjoy. The ones you risk pissing off are the seasoned fans who, one way or another, are going to watch the game regardless.

10-22-2015, 12:01 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontCallPlayersStuds View Post
We aren't NY or Chicago. Willy is a known name in a market with a growing--but marginal interest in hockey. To a fan that isn't watching hockey, having someone breaking the game down at a technical level isn't as important as simply having a familiar voice that they know and enjoy. The ones you risk pissing off are the seasoned fans who, one way or another, are going to watch the game regardless.
I think breaking down the game on a technical level is of the utmost importance. It helps the novice understand the game more and in turn they can appreciate what they are seeing that much more. The biggest complaint you hear from people about watching hockey on TV is that they just don't understand the game.....so logic tells you to teach them through in-depth analysis. Review an icing a couple times a game instead of dissecting the difference between a selfie and a groupie.

Just look at what John Madden did for the NFL. Because of his influence on football broadcasts you have whole families that watch and understand the game.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 12:59 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 50
Terry may have been entertaining, but it wasn't because of his insight into the game that he brought to the broadcast. Not meaning to dis his knowledge at all - obviously quite accomplished having played and coached, just at this point it wasn't translating as an analyst; or he just loved his stories way more than commenting on the on-ice action. On top of it, it was distracting Pete from doing good play-by-play. Stu knows the game, too - but has no clue how to contribute an effective analysis, and he doesn't know when or how to add his commentary, either. In the end, neither should be doing a major sport in a top-30 market.

I suspect that, while we're all fans and listen when we're not at the Bridge, we're in a much smaller minority then we want to accept. Poor ratings, and probably an assessment of poor ratings potential, likely discourages reaching out for a strong play-by-play guy, let alone an analyst. I hold out hope for Mason - our backup goalies on the whole are pretty good bench interviews and they see the whole game for a living.

and in fairness to Willy, he really has gotten MUCH better than when he got tossed in there when TC walked out mid-season. I suspect if we had even a mediocre analyst with him - that actually knew when to step in and provide the analysis as well as actually had some insight - we'd feel much better about Willy.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 01:03 PM
FFWRX
Unregistered User

I thought Mason did a good job the one game i listened to. I would like to see him swapped with Stu for a game to see how he does on TV.

FFWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 01:11 PM
SavageSteve

I have seen some teams use a between the benches guy on broadcasts like NBCSports does and wondered if they could groom Mason for TV in that role as an analyst? Willy would be a better fit for basketball play-by-play IMO; but this I am assuming is his reward for being the guy in the early years willing to take on the hockey roles when no one else would. Maybe they could get the old Thrashers guy Dan Kamal to call games if Willy doesn't work out? I think he's doing pre-game stuff for the Jackets?

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
I thought Mason did a good job the one game i listened to. I would like to see him swapped with Stu for a game to see how he does on TV.
Yeah I thought Mason was fine from what I heard. On the east coast trip last week I was listening to the first periods after work before I could get to a TV and thought he did a good job.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 02:25 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
It also doesn't say a lot for the organization that we basically handed Willy a radio job despite him having zero experience with hockey play-by-play, and that they've somehow allowed it to escalate to TV. Or Fox. Whoever's decision it is.

Seriously. There's an NHL TV broadcaster whose experience with the game is learning it from scratch as an adult because his station picked up the Preds and he was hosting the pre and postgame shows so he learned hockey on the fly in his 30s. Willy is a baseball player and that's really it. He was in the Blue Jays minor league system in the 90s or something. If I was an aspiring broadcaster fighting my way through the minors with a dream of an NHL job I'd be absolutely furious.

I like Willy as a radio host personality, I really do, but him being in this role for a professional sports team is absurd. Think about the Blackhawks or Yankees pulling a guy with no experience in the sport (outside of what I mentioned earlier) to be the voice of their broadcasts.
Willy wasn't handed the job, he was shoved into it. Tom stepped down and Pete had a heartattack. That's how this started. Having said that, Willy has been part of the broadcast crew since the Predators existed.

Also, I remember talking hockey with Willy before the push for the Devils in '95, he's a former Islanders fan if I'm not mistaken and did grow up liking hockey, so he's not new to the sport. Willy was the only hockey fan that was part of of sports talk here so whenever I saw him on remotes I would always bring hockey up.

I think it's cool that Willy has risen to the place that he's in now, I do wish we had a better color guy to break stuff down more, but that's not on Willy, that's on Stu. I don't however, want to go back to here more stories from Terry.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Pred303

yeah I think if you put a really good color man with willy it would work wonders

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 03:28 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Willy wasn't handed the job, he was shoved into it. Tom stepped down and Pete had a heartattack. That's how this started. Having said that, Willy has been part of the broadcast crew since the Predators existed.

Also, I remember talking hockey with Willy before the push for the Devils in '95, he's a former Islanders fan if I'm not mistaken and did grow up liking hockey, so he's not new to the sport. Willy was the only hockey fan that was part of of sports talk here so whenever I saw him on remotes I would always bring hockey up.

I think it's cool that Willy has risen to the place that he's in now, I do wish we had a better color guy to break stuff down more, but that's not on Willy, that's on Stu. I don't however, want to go back to here more stories from Terry.
I'm with you Trig. We've moved beyond Terry as the color guy and Willy might be a serviceable play by play after sometime when he's more comfortable but he's definitely being done a disservice by having Stu as his color guy.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 03:40 PM
MrJoshua

I agree that a better analyst in the booth with Willy would improve the program dramatically. I think Willy is OK - yeah he's monotone but on TV that's alright because I can watch the game myself. I don't need someone to tell me when it's exciting. What I would like is a color guy who can interject actual analysis of plays and be critical when something is done poorly.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 04:57 PM
gratefulpred
Eternal Optimist

How is it we have no worthwhile color guys? Stu is god awful from what I have heard so far. I rarely listen to radio broadcasts but did catch Mason, and he seemed good.

I hear BP on the post game when we leave the Arena and this year, good grief, Harry Carey was more coherent after the 8th inning.

I hope we get it fixed because there is a lack of education for the new fan. I loved back in the day when they did Hockey 101. Wish they would bring it back for one game. Pump it up, advertise the fire out it and see what happens. Do a bazillion giveaways on a 6:00 start have fun with it.

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 07:41 PM
gratefulpred
Eternal Optimist

Ah man! We have joined the ranks of let's run an ad on the glass behind the goal?

That's a bummer

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 08:26 PM
1stLineCottonCandy

There talking about the history of the USSR now ..... I can't take this **** much longer

1stLineCottonCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 08:29 PM
LCPreds

Watching my first TV broadcast and it just feels very off. Not sure if it's because I'm just used to them being on the radio or if it's because they're treating this just like they're on the radio. I didn't like them on the radio anyway so that doesn't help.

LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2015, 10:51 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
i agree that willy has been better than i thought he would. his problems are;
1)he talks in a monotone voice
2)he's afraid of making a mistake so his delievery is very mechanical
3)he isn't a good enough student of the game to recognize what are true scoring chances so you sure cann't tell by inflection when possibilities arise
4)he doesn't know the game well enough to make critical observations
5)and because of that defers to stu totally, who is a blithering idiot
6)isn't passionate enough about the game of hockey, so there is no true genuine excitement.

it all makes for an exceptionally dull broadcast, punctuatied by periods of stu's slow, rambling idiotic comments about the wrong things at the wrong times.

other than that i've been fairly pleased. (sort of like an "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" type comment)
I think that's a bit unfair to Willy. He's been the primary voice for the Predators on Nashville radio since their inception. And I don't mean on the broadcast, I mean during non-game times. He may not have grown up with hockey as his primary sport, but he seems to have really embraced it and is fully on-board with the Preds.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
I think that's a bit unfair to Willy. He's been the primary voice for the Predators on Nashville radio since their inception. And I don't mean on the broadcast, I mean during non-game times. He may not have grown up with hockey as his primary sport, but he seems to have really embraced it and is fully on-board with the Preds.
Agreed, and I really like the guy (granted, locally I listen to 104.5 so I don't hear him on the radio anymore) but I just don't think his track record, background and experience are on par with what an NHL television broadcaster's should be.

Old
10-23-2015, 10:33 AM
triggrman

104.5 is still doing sportstalk?

I listen to 94.9 mostly now.

Old
10-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:

Yes and they're the most-listened to sports station in town by far. As of last year anyway.

Old
10-23-2015, 10:50 AM
deanwormer

Quote:

104.5 is doing SEC and Titans football talk. their approach would have been great in the 70s

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
104.5 is doing SEC and Titans football talk. their approach would have been great in the 70s
104.5 has personalities that aren't boring to listen to, except for Kevin Ingram. The same can't be said for other 102.5/94.9/whatever they are.

Old
10-23-2015, 11:07 AM
triggrman

Quote:
104.5 has personalities that aren't boring to listen to, except for Kevin Ingram. The same can't be said for other 102.5/94.9/whatever they are.
I only listen in the mornings and I can't stand Mark Howard or Paul Kaharski (sp).

I listen to 94.9 because they talk hockey every morning.

Plus they do mix drinks in the morning, how can you not love 7 am drinking? You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning....

Last edited by triggrman: 10-23-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old
10-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
I only listen in the mornings and I can't stand Mark Howard or Paul Kaharski (sp).

I listen to 94.9 because they talk hockey every morning.

Plus they do mix drinks in the morning, how can you not love 7 am drinking? You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning....
Fair point on the last one.

The mornings are the one show I don't listen to much, but I do like Mark Howard since he actually will talk about hockey. I usually listen to San Diego radio through my phone app in the morning to hear about the Chargers and because their show is about 700 times more entertaining than the Wake Up Zone (which, ironically does nothing but make me want to fall back asleep). I also like Paul Kuharsky but it's mainly because I feel like there are too many dumb people who need to be set straight and he does that. 3HL is hit or miss for me after Clay Travis left. Maybe I should listen to 94.9 in the morning sometime. That's the same as 102.5, right? Just a different signal out of Murfreesboro?

Old
10-23-2015, 11:41 AM
FFWRX
Unregistered User

Quote:
Fair point on the last one.

The mornings are the one show I don't listen to much, but I do like Mark Howard since he actually will talk about hockey. I usually listen to San Diego radio through my phone app in the morning to hear about the Chargers and because their show is about 700 times more entertaining than the Wake Up Zone (which, ironically does nothing but make me want to fall back asleep). I also like Paul Kuharsky but it's mainly because I feel like there are too many dumb people who need to be set straight and he does that. 3HL is hit or miss for me after Clay Travis left. Maybe I should listen to 94.9 in the morning sometime. That's the same as 102.5, right? Just a different signal out of Murfreesboro?
94.9 and 102.5 have different morning shows. 102.5 has a syndicated show on in the morning. I listen to 94.9 in the morning and if I go out for lunch 102.5 for Stillman (used to be Stillman and Callahan)

FFWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2015, 01:40 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken it was a personal decision. I mean, more power to him to do what he wants but go figure that we had a guy really good at radio and he didn't want to do it anymore.
Tom was excellent on the radio .... not sure why he left, I've heard several rumors but have no idea what really happened; however, "he didn't want to do it anymore" isn't true ... he's now the radio PBP man for the Indianapolis Fuel.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2015, 08:43 PM
glenngineer

So the stupidity yet again on tonights broadcast.

1st period there is a hand pass that gets called against Nashville and the players were upset because they felt the Penguins had touched it before a Nashville player did. Daunic in his infinite wisdom says it was in the neutral zone and thought the play shouldn't have been whistled dead. That was my take on it. Maybe he meant it was played in the neutral zone and that's why it was blown dead but it sure didn't seem like it.

Then the Malkin slew foot they blatantly ignore and don't care to explain. They don't say why Ekholm is visibly upset and going at Malkin. It's a dangerous play and they don't have a clue, yet again.

These two should not be calling games whatsoever.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote