HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Expect Gaborik to sign soon...

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 06:34 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Expect Gaborik to sign soon...

He's changed which agent does the talking:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=57138

Old
10-14-2003, 06:45 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
He's changed which agent does the talking:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=57138
why is Billy M. in your avatar now?

Old
10-14-2003, 06:48 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
why is Billy M. in your avatar now?
I'm guessing, he's not fully digested yet.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:06 AM
Mr Sakich

if reisbrough signs the current deal, then he is crazy. The new cba has to address players under 28-31 years old or many teams will be folding. According to Spector's - the Wild have OFFERED a 3 year deal worth 9.5 mill with an ADDITIONAL 1.75 mill per year in bonuses. Gaborik wants a 3 year 19.5 mill deal. OMFG, argggghhhhhhhh, puke puke puke puke

Its the end of the world as we know it.

BTW, Comrie was on pace to outscore Gaborik last year before his injury. I guess Lowe's 1.3 mill offer is a tad low. I am truly disgusted with the NHL right now.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:58 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Gaborik is wanting way too much for this to get settled soon. Comrie will sign before Marian.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:06 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Gaborik is wanting way too much for this to get settled soon. Comrie will sign before Marian.
He changed agents so that his side would offer an "olive branch" to the wild. I'm guessing that he actually wanted a lot less than his agent was going for.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1637707

Old
10-14-2003, 09:41 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
Gaborik wants a 3 year 19.5 mill deal. OMFG, argggghhhhhhhh, puke puke puke puke
You have to hand it to Gaborik, he thinks highly of himself. As he is quoted as saying (from linke above): "I couldn't accept the first offer. I know my value." Nice to see confidence and self-worth.

But...

Sometimes it can't be about self-evaluation, but of market. I can't tell you how many times I've ads for used computers that are waaaay out of line. The numbers change every year, but basically if you look on bulletin boards and bargain finders worldwide you see the same basic pattern:
Quote:
Pentium I, 200 MHz, 80 MB HD, dozens of software titles, no monitor. Paid $1,400+.

$600 obo.
Honey, there just ain't a used computer market to support this kind of blindly optimistic price tag, no matter how fine your equipment seems to you. There's believing in your worth, and then there's knowing the market.

The owners/GMs sure as shoot better ensure there's no market to seriously overpay players. Based on the past, however, there's no reason to be optimistic. Look at Strachan's recent article (I can't believe I'm citing Strachan for factual information. >sniff< Do you smell an apocalypse?). Bruins caved on Thornton and Samsonov and how many playoff series have they won in the meantime, yet how seriously did it damage their salary space for other players?

Closed Thread