HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the Leafs will win the Cup

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 04:19 AM
Leaf Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Well, you knew this thread would bring out the trolls.

That was never my intention of starting this thread. If you look back the very first line that I wrote said, "I'm not going to promise or gaurantee that the Leafs will win the Cup."

Of course the Leafs shouldn't be considered favourites. Of course there are a bunch of great teams in this league. I know that.

But I was tired of hearing so-called "Leaf Fans" trash the team on a daily basis and say they don't have a chance. The Leafs do have a legitimate chance and I proved that.

Leaf fans are quick to praise teams like the Wings, Flyers, Senators and Avalanche. I just wanted to show that these teams aren't exactly perfect either.

Some people out there have to realize what it means to be a fan of a team. Don't lower yourselves to the level of guys like Strachan, Simmons and Cox. It's certainly okay to criticize the team every now and then, but when everything you say is negative, you're nothing but a bandwagon fan.

Btw for the record, if the Leafs don't make it, my early pick for the Stanley Cup is New Jersey over St. Louis.

Old
10-15-2003, 04:31 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Dallas
This is a team that lost a guy who was their Captain, #1 defenceman and not too mention a Norris Trophy candidate. Then lost Darryl Sydor as well. And Leaf fans complain about losing Svehla.
Yet is still a far better team then the Toronto Maple Leafs..

Sorry but your team "reasoning" for all the contenders is pretty much wishful thinking. You only take out the negatives while strictly mentioning the positives for your little Leafs. The Leafs are a contender for the East but will not cause the big 3 of the West any trouble, save the Avs if they still have the Swiss miss. I do feel however, that the Leafs are a dangerous playoff team out East, probably 2nd behind the Devs and on par with the Flyers and Sens.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:10 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Ottawa
People constantly say that this is a team with no weaknesses. Why? They have two major holes. Number one center and goaltending.

Spezza will be good this year and some day will be a great first line center. Is he good enough right now to be the #1 center on a Championship team? No. That means Ottawa is going to have to rely on guys like Bonk to be be the go-to guy in the playoffs. They've been there and done that and it hasn't worked yet.

Lalime is a good goalie. But I don't think he's good enough to win the Cup though. It takes a special goalie to win the Stanley Cup. Just look at recent history. Like I said, he's a good goalie, but he's nothing special.
- A holes at center? Hello with Bonk, Spezza, White, Van Allen, Fisher and Smolinski the Sens are very deep at Center.

- Lalime was great in the playoff and sure is a top10 goalie in the NHL.

- You've seem to forgot about defense. Redden, Chara, Phillips, Rachunek and Volchenkov. One of the best defensive cors in the whole league.

- 3 first line RW on each line from 1-3.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:44 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Havlat isn't a first liner yet..

Old
10-15-2003, 05:49 AM
sluggo*

Leaf Army - Theres nothing wrong with being a Leaf fan and wanting them to win, but its stupid to ignore the Leafs weaknesses and only focus on other teams weaknesses and then claim the Leafs are favorites to win the cup. I'd love it if the Leafs did win the cup this year but the facts are that they probably won't. If you are going to point out other teams weaknesses then you should at least point out the Leafs weaknesses as well.

Belfour, at 38 probably won't have a year as good as he had last year. And yes he has a ring, from 4 years ago. They are missing a top defenseman (which pretty much every team whos won the cup in at least the last 10 years has had - Lidstrom, Hatcher, Leetch, Blake/Foote, Stevens). Their depth is good but they NEED a #1 guy. Their defense failed them last year in the playoffs and they havn't made any segnifigant upgrades. And so far their high priced, superstar fowards haven't been able to put the puck in the net. Plus staying healthy is again going to be a problem for the Leafs. In two games we've seen at leats 2-3 close calls and players walk off the ice in the middle of a game and had one injury. And they have trouble beating the trap, which a lot of top teams play.

That being said I think Belfour can still be good enough to back a cup winning team, though I think the number of games he can win on his own willbe lower. They can trade for that defenseman and it wouldn't susprise me if they do at some point this year. At least some of the fowards should wake up and start scoring, however if they don't do it soon it could cost them home ice advantage in the playoffs like a slow start did last year.

The Leafs are contenders, however they aren't favorites to win, at least not with the team they have now.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:20 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Leaf Army - Theres nothing wrong with being a Leaf fan and wanting them to win, but its stupid to ignore the Leafs weaknesses and only focus on other teams weaknesses and then claim the Leafs are favorites to win the cup. I'd love it if the Leafs did win the cup this year but the facts are that they probably won't. If you are going to point out other teams weaknesses then you should at least point out the Leafs weaknesses as well.
As I said before, I was specifically pointing out the weaknesses of the top teams. Everyone knows the Leafs aren't perfect, but I wanted to show that the other top teams aren't perfect either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
The Leafs are contenders, however they aren't favorites to win, at least not with the team they have now.
I never said the Leafs were favourites. I merely wanted to prove that they are legit contenders. Which they are.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:25 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

The fact of the matter is, as long as Berg, Marchment or even Klee are in the top 4, we aren't going to win anything.

Toronto has to get a topnotch defenceman from somewhere before the playoffs start, or their chances of getting by Ottawa, Philly or Jersey (at least one of which we'll definitely be facing in the first/second round) aren't very good.

The Leafs have forwards and goaltending to match up with any of the big teams, East or West.

What they DON'T have is one of the top 2-way defencemen in the game on their blueline. No Blake, Foote, Jovanovski, Stevens, Pronger, etc. We could make do by getting a guy on the next tier down from that type of dman, like a Hamrlik or a Zhitnik, or a Niniimaa type.
You pair that guy with Kaberle. A solid top pairing. Then you pair McCabe with Pilar. A good second unit. Then you use Klee and Marchment on the bottom pairing. Again, solid (if a little slow, but hey, it's your 5 and 6 defencemen).

This is the only way the Leafs will have enough talent and depth to truly have a shot at making the Stanley Cup finals. There's other things that have to be done (discipline, getting their 5-man units used to each other), but that's only big difference I see between the Leafs and the other top teams.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:36 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
- A holes at center? Hello with Bonk, Spezza, White, Van Allen, Fisher and Smolinski the Sens are very deep at Center.
Deep yes. But I would argue that at they moment they have no stand-out all-star calibre centremen (ie Modano, Federov, Sundin, etc). Bonk is a good two-way guy but not an elite talent and Spezza will be there soon but not yet.

Quote:
- Lalime was great in the playoff and sure is a top10 goalie in the NHL.
Lalime is good and I'd be more than happy to have him as my goaltender. Good but not elite, nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
As has been said, I wouldnt consider Havlat a 1st liner, yet.

Let's be honest, Ottawa has a much better chance at the Cup this year than Toronto does. Every team has it's weaknesses though.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:00 AM
sluggo*

The Leafs have a legit chance, but not a very good one, realisticly.

Since you pointed out everyone elses strengths I'll point out their strengths. To get a good, real idea of where the Leafs stand you can't just look at a teams weaknesses.

Senators
No they don't have a Forsberg or Sundin at center, but they didn't last year either and won the presidents trophy came one goal away from going to the finals the Devils didn't have that player in last years final and they won. The Senators centers are very good at winning faceoffs, all their centers were over 45% last year, White lead the team with 50.5%. And when they don't win they are good enough on defense to cause a lot of turn overs.

Laime may not be the next Roy but he last longer then any other goalie who's won a cup before (except Brodour of course) and came within one goal of going to the cup finals. The guy has gotten better every year, no reason to believe he won't once again get better then last year.

Devils
Yes the center position is a question for them, but so far they doing good with the guys they have. And like the Senators they good enough defensivly to cause turn overs when they don't win the faceoffs. They didn't have Nieuwendyk for the finals and still won. Plus they can always sign someone like Oates whos an UFA, and there are rumors that they are after Comrie.

Stevens is only one year older then Belfour, why would he slow down enough to not help them win a cup but not Belfour? Stevens played very well in last years playoff run and hasn't shown a huge degrading in skills so far this year. They also have 3 very, very good defensive prospects coming up this year. Their fowards are some of the best defensive fowards in the league, and when it comes to unit probably the best.

Flyers
Not much to add, good offensive and defensive depth, but HUGE question between the pipes, they will either be very successful or have a terrible season, no inbetween for this team.

Lightning
You can't over look how well this team plays together and how close they are, that can help make up for talent short comings. They are a very fast team, which allows their fowards to attack very quickly and aggressively and get back on defense just as quickly. They also have very solid goal tending from Khabibulin.
interesting point - 3 years ago the Leafs almost traded for Lecavalier and two years ago tired to get Anderychuk back for their playoff run.

Wings
They have the best defense in the league with a top 5 of Lidstrom, Hatcher, Chelios, Fischer, Schneider. Those guys want to win again (for some of them its probably their last chance) and are professionals, they aren't going to start playing badly because they lose a little bit of ice time. All will be just as good as they always are. They lost some scoring but added a TON of defense.

Yes they lost Fedorov, but with Datysuk and Zetterberg coming up they could afford to lose him (though it would have been nice to keep him). Both Datysuk and Zetterberg have more points so far this season then Fedorov does. The wings also still have Hull, Shanahan, Holmstrom and added Whitney. Yzerman should still produce (though not the huge numbers he used to) and Jason Williams is also a very good, promising prospect. Their offense won't be hurt that much by Fedorov leaving.

Avs
They have one of (if not THE) best collections of top 6 fowards in the league. Selenna, Kariya and Sakic have already combined for 3 goals in two games. Heyduk (already has 2 goals) and Tanguay won't take a dip in production, not with Forsberg still setting both of them up. In 2 game s Tanguay is the only foward they have int he top 6 who doesn't have a pt per game. The rest of their offense needs to be more worried about defense then offense, and only 2 of 6 have a - rating.

They are giving Aebischer a shotat the starting position (and hes is by no means a below average, 23 year old goalie) and if he can't cut it they WILL add a goalie who can before the deadline. They also have one of the best top end defense collections in the league.

Stars
Don't forget that they added Teppo Numminen, which will help them on defense. The Stars fowardsds, like the Devils, are very good at getting back and helping out on defense as well as being very good offensivly. They also have one the best goalies in the league (probably the second best) in Turco.

PepNCheese - Klee is a solid #3-#4 guy, not a 5 or 6. They do need a top defenseman but when/if they get him they should pair him with McCabe. Put Kaberle and Klee together (let Kaberle play offensivly while Klee covers defense) and have Jackman and Marchment on the third pairing.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:24 AM
monkey_00*

I hope the Leafs win it but I have a gut feeling when it comes to Ottawa..I'm predicting an Ottawa -St.Louis Stanley Cup finals.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Klee is a solid #3-#4 guy, not a 5 or 6.
On our current defence? Absolutely.

I don't know that Klee cracks the top 4 on any of the elite teams, though.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:39 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
that the Leafs are a dangerous playoff team out East,
No denying that, I don't know how many injuries there have been from the series with the Flyers and the one with Islanders. The Leafs are very dangerous, bad for your health.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Teezax

Quote:
I'm not going to promise or gaurantee that the Leafs will win the Cup. But I am picking them to win it this year.

I'm just tired of reading all the negativity surrounding the Leafs while all the other contending teams seemingly can do no wrong. This is my way of counter-acting that negativity.

Here's my very early take on the Stanley Cup race.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Ottawa
People constantly say that this is a team with no weaknesses. Why? They have two major holes. Number one center and goaltending.

Spezza will be good this year and some day will be a great first line center. Is he good enough right now to be the #1 center on a Championship team? No. That means Ottawa is going to have to rely on guys like Bonk to be be the go-to guy in the playoffs. They've been there and done that and it hasn't worked yet.

Lalime is a good goalie. But I don't think he's good enough to win the Cup though. It takes a special goalie to win the Stanley Cup. Just look at recent history. Like I said, he's a good goalie, but he's nothing special.

New Jersey
They are the team to beat once again. They've got a good defense and the best goalie in the league

But they'll have their problems. Joe Nieuwendyk helped them recover from the loss of Holik. But what do they do now that they've lost Nieuwendyk? They won't find a player to replace what Holik and Nieuwendyk brought to this team.

Scott Stevens has been an integral part of their Cup wins, but he's starting to slow down. They can't rely on him to win playoffs series anymore.

Philadelphia
Good depth at forward and defence, but can a team with Jeff Hackett in net win a Stanley Cup? Honestly....

Tampa Bay
Some people say they have a better shot than the Leafs. What does Tampa have that the Leafs don't?

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
They've got a forward group that can match any team in the league. Most other contenders would be doing flips if they got a guy like Nieuwendyk to center their 2nd or 3rd line.

They've got an elite goaltender. Look around the league and see how many other goalies own Stanley Cup rings. People seem to underestimate how important this is.

Their defence is under-rated. McCabe was on the verge of getting Norris consideration two years ago and Kaberle was last year. Factor in veteran additions like Klee and Marchment and that's pretty good depth 1-6.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Detroit
This team made a boneheaded move in the offseason. They let Fedorov get away but signed Hatcher.

The reason they lost to Anaheim was that they couldn't score! They already had a Norris calibre defenceman, they didn't need another one. They needed to keep Fedorov.

They've had Yzerman as the #1 guy for over a decade and now that he can't do the job, Fedorov could have easily replaced Yzerman's role on the team. Now they're counting on Datsyuk. He's a good young player, but he won't come close to filling Yzerman and Fedorov's shoes this year.

And how will Hatcher's signing affect team chemistry? Guy's like Schneider, Lidstrom and Chelios aren't going to respond well to diminished roles.

Colorado
Everyone talks about their top-six forwards.

It's no big deal. With the signings of Selanne and Kariya you can expect guys like Tanguay and Hejduk to take a major step back this year. Simple as that.

Plus Colorado's 3rd and 4th lines are full of fringe players. Depth on defence? As far as I know, Martin Skoula, Karlis Skrastins and Chris McCallister round out their top 6.

Oh, and they basically have a rookie coach and goaltending that is way below average. Is this a recipe for a Stanley Cup?

Dallas
This is a team that lost a guy who was their Captain, #1 defenceman and not too mention a Norris Trophy candidate. Then lost Darryl Sydor as well. And Leaf fans complain about losing Svehla.

St. Louis
They'll be a tough team again this year. But can they win the Cup with their current goaltending situation?
If the Flyers beat the Leafs in a 7 game series with Chokemanek in nets they sure as hell can do it again with Hackett and Pitkanen on D.
Toronto is ont he verge of being finished. There is only so much Sundin and Mogilny can do. Nolan has been invisible since being traded to TO, Nieuwendyk is injury prone and will probably not even be healthy enough to make the playoffs, McCabe and Kaberle are great defenders but you cannot put Klee and Marchment as 3rd 4th guys. Letting go fo Travis Green was a mistake, he is a playoff warrior, those are the guys you have to hold on to. And if you think that TO has the best shot at winning the cup, try thinking about away to secure a spot in the playoffs first. Not to sound cruel, but that's the reality. A lot of teams inthe East are stepping up looking to claim spots, no one is secure anymore. This year it might take 95 points to clinch 8th seed.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:37 PM
sluggo*

Hackett is weaker in net then Cechmanek is, thats going to be a big weakness for the Flyers.

"Toronto is ont he verge of being finished. There is only so much Sundin and Mogilny can do. Nolan has been invisible since being traded to TO, Nieuwendyk is injury prone and will probably not even be healthy enough to make the playoffs, McCabe and Kaberle are great defenders but you cannot put Klee and Marchment as 3rd 4th guys. Letting go fo Travis Green was a mistake, he is a playoff warrior, those are the guys you have to hold on to. And if you think that TO has the best shot at winning the cup, try thinking about away to secure a spot in the playoffs first."

Nolan had 12 points in 13 games when he first came to the Leafs. So far this year (all 2 games of it) he hasn't been great. Its possible he'll be a flop all year but don't bet on it, he should once again get somewhere between 20-30 goals. Nieuwendyk played 80 games last year, and 81 the year before that. And once the playoffs start he'll be fine, Roberts heal is an issue, but Nieuwendyk will be fine. Marchment ISN'T the Leafs #4, hes their #5 and so far is playing about 15-16 minutes a game, Jackman and Kondratiev are the guys in that #4 role and so far both are doing fine. They do need a top defenseman, but their defensive depth is fine. Green was let go as "part of a bigger plan" (according to the GM). Probably to free up his contract money to bring in that defenseman they need at some point. And the Leafs have several "playoff warriors" still on the roster. The Leafs WILL make the playoffs, thats not an issue for them, how far they will go is.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Toronto is ont he verge of being finished.
A lot of people seem to say this. WHY are they "finished" at this particular time?

Can Toronto not get new players? Will they not be allowed to do this under the new CBA agreement or something?

In a similar vein, Philly has a lot of old players too. In fact I'd be willing to bet the average ages are pretty close between the two teams, if someone wants to look it up.

I don't hear anyone saying the Flyers are finished. What about St. Louis? Exact same average age as Toronto. Are they going into the tank as well, Teezax?

Old
10-15-2003, 06:15 PM
sluggo*

PepNCheese - I think after this season the Leafs will go into a small rebuilding period. They have a lot of young defensemen and a good young goalie, not really much point in getting replacments for them, doing that would only create a jam up. They could, and probably will, get some UFA fowards after the lockout.

Just look at where they will be in 2 years. Belfour gone, but Tellqvist ready to take over, maybe not at his "peak" but working up to it. Colaiacovo, Kondratiev, Bell, and Harrison will all be ready to play in the NHL with Kaberle and Jackman (I'm pretty sure they are the only d-men on contract after this year). They will be alittle light in the foward department, though I'm guessing Trapps staff is going to focusing on getting some good wingers and snipers over the next year or two in the draft they probably won't be ready for the 2005-2006 season. I could see them getting one or two UFA fowards, but not to many to give the young guys a chance to make the team and play in the NHL.

Old
10-16-2003, 03:16 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
Hackett is weaker in net then Cechmanek is, thats going to be a big weakness for the Flyers.
How is he weaker in net? He sees the puck very well. He moves side to side very well. He's not flopping all over the ice like Cechmanek did. He can actually communicate to his defensemen since he can speak English. We have one of the top defenses in the league. If anything, that will not be a weakness it will be a strength.

Quote:
Nolan had 12 points in 13 games when he first came to the Leafs. So far this year (all 2 games of it) he hasn't been great. Its possible he'll be a flop all year but don't bet on it, he should once again get somewhere between 20-30 goals.
He was virtually non-existent in the playoffs and he hasn't done anything since then. I doubt he will put up 20 goals this year, with all his so-called injuries, he will be out half the season.

Quote:
The Leafs WILL make the playoffs, thats not an issue for them, how far they will go is.
I'm not too sure about that. They have an old offense. Niewy is a year older, he gets injured easily which you can really apply to the rest of your team as well. A team like the Sabres or the Thrashers might be taking your spot this year.

Quote:
They do need a top defenseman, but their defensive depth is fine.
Your defense has more holes than swiss cheese

I mean it's only a few games into the system and you already have guys on the injured list:

Injuries

G. Roberts LW Oct 13, 2003 Day-to-Day Broken Blood Vessel In Arm
A. Mogilny RW Oct 13, 2003 Day-to-Day Strained Groin
R. Reichel C Oct 13, 2003 Day-to-Day Back
T. Fitzgerald RW Oct 6, 2003 Injured Reserve Shoulder

I won't be surprised if you guys don't make the playoffs this year.

Old
10-16-2003, 03:46 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
How is he weaker in net? He sees the puck very well. He moves side to side very well. He's not flopping all over the ice like Cechmanek did. He can actually communicate to his defensemen since he can speak English. We have one of the top defenses in the league. If anything, that will not be a weakness it will be a strength.

Im sorry but this is just too funny. It was only 6 months ago that Flyer fans would tell anyone that listened about how great Cechmanek was and how he had one of highest save percentages in the NHL since he arrived. Hackett was "just a backup". Oh, but now that Cechmanek is gone and Hackett is the starter, Hacket is of course just as good if not better.

The Flyers will make the playoffs, but their goaltending won't be as good as it was last year.

Old
10-16-2003, 04:48 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Goaltending will be your weakness...again. Hackett's played a combined 70 games the last 3 seasons. This guy's gonna be your saviour? I think not.

Quote:
He was virtually non-existent in the playoffs and he hasn't done anything since then. I doubt he will put up 20 goals this year, with all his so-called injuries, he will be out half the season.
Nolan plays at least 70 games every year and he had number of great scoring chances last game. He's thrown some big hits too. He'll be fine.

Quote:
I'm not too sure about that. They have an old offense. Niewy is a year older, he gets injured easily which you can really apply to the rest of your team as well. A team like the Sabres or the Thrashers might be taking your spot this year.
Even if the Sabres and Thrashers both pass us this year (which they obviously won't) that still puts us in 7th place. The Leafs will make the playoffs. Take it to the bank.

Quote:
I mean it's only a few games into the system and you already have guys on the injured list:

Injuries

G. Roberts LW Oct 13, 2003 Day-to-Day Broken Blood Vessel In Arm
A. Mogilny RW Oct 13, 2003 Day-to-Day Strained Groin
R. Reichel C Oct 13, 2003 Day-to-Day Back
T. Fitzgerald RW Oct 6, 2003 Injured Reserve Shoulder
Nice try. As far as I know, Roberts and Reichel aren't expected to miss any games and Fitzgerald is already back.

Mogilny could be back next week.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:06 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
Goaltending will be your weakness...again. Hackett's played a combined 70 games the last 3 seasons. This guy's gonna be your saviour? I think not.
I didn't say he would be our savior and he isn't by any means. He's better than the flopper Cechmanek. Our defense will be taking good care of him. As they already have when he had the shutout to start out the season. Have the Leafs won yet? Didn't think so. Even if Hackett doesn't pan out, we can always send Leclair, Seidenberg and a pick up to Detroit for Cujo and then we would be your worst nightmare.

Quote:
Nolan plays at least 70 games every year and he had number of great scoring chances last game. He's thrown some big hits too. He'll be fine.
I haven't heard him being mentioned at all so far this season. In fact, I've only heard of injuries, penalties, and losses.

Quote:
Even if the Sabres and Thrashers both pass us this year (which they obviously won't) that still puts us in 7th place. The Leafs will make the playoffs. Take it to the bank.
Let's see, this is probably what the East will look like:

Ottawa
Philly
Tampa Bay
New Jersey
Boston
Washington
New York Islanders
Sabres/Thrashers/Rangers/Canes/Canadiens

I don't see TOR making it.

Quote:
Nice try.
Are you serious? Your team name could easily be changed to the Toronto walking wounded with all the injuries your guys suffer and you just picked up another guy in Joe N. with all his problems.

Quote:
Im sorry but this is just too funny. It was only 6 months ago that Flyer fans would tell anyone that listened about how great Cechmanek was and how he had one of highest save percentages in the NHL since he arrived. Hackett was "just a backup". Oh, but now that Cechmanek is gone and Hackett is the starter, Hacket is of course just as good if not better.
I don't think he is better, of course not. I do think he is a good goalie and in the past Hackett has not played with a good team like the Flyers.
You don't worry about him flopping around in the goal crease. You don't worry about the whining or the easy goals getting by. Watching him play is a less strenous time than watching Cechmanek play. Yeah, Cecho did a great job letting in Yzerman's goal with 2 seconds left to go. All he had to do was save that easy goal and his team could have at least got a point but no he folded. I'll stick with Hackett and Esche for now especially since we have Malek and Nittymaki on the Phantoms.
No worries here.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Let's see, this is probably what the East will look like:

Ottawa
Philly
Tampa Bay
New Jersey
Boston
Washington
New York Islanders
Sabres/Thrashers/Rangers/Canes/Canadiens

I don't see TOR making it.
Thanks for the prediction. I'll remember this and talk to you again at the end of the season.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:58 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
Thanks for the prediction. I'll remember this and talk to you again at the end of the season.

Cool, we will let you know how the playoffs go. Also, I can ask how 36 years of not having a cup feels or is it 37, I lose count. Yeah, the Flyers haven't won the Cup since 75, but at least we have won the division a few times.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:10 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Cool, we will let you know how the playoffs go. Also, I can ask how 36 years of not having a cup feels or is it 37, I lose count. Yeah, the Flyers haven't won the Cup since 75, but at least we have won the division a few times.
Yeah one of the downsides of Inbreeding is the diminshed IQ...stick with it though, counting isn't that difficult, you'll get the hang of it.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:36 AM
sluggo*

"Leclair, Seidenberg and a pick up to Detroit for Cujo "

You really think the Wings would take a broken down, old player like Leclair who doesn't produce anymore? And Seidenberg? Ya, thats just want the Wings need, more defense. The wings need a centerman, and thats what the Flyers would have to give up to get Cujo. With Hackett in net the Flyers are going nowhere.

"I haven't heard him being mentioned at all so far this season"

You mean all 2 games of it? I havn't heard Roenick, Gagne, or Amonte being mentioned this year yet either, I guess they aren't even going to score 20 goals either. And Nolans not injuried.

"Are you serious? Your team name could easily be changed to the Toronto walking wounded with all the injuries your guys suffer"

Last year Amonte played 72 games, Kapanen 71, Leclair 31, Gagne 46, Williams 41 - the Flyers aren't excatly a team build on strong, healty 80 game players. And the last two year Nieuwendyk has played 78+games

"You don't worry about him flopping around in the goal crease"

No you jsut worry about his carrer GAA of 2.93 and s% of .902

Old
10-16-2003, 09:19 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Also, I can ask how 36 years of not having a cup feels or is it 37, I lose count.
Yay, A+ for originality.

Diceman, you are not.

Closed Thread