HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Morris

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2005, 10:12 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Derek Morris

I was just thinking that with the glut of young defensemen they have in Phoenix, Derek Morris might be a likely candidate to get moved once he is healthy. Considering the fact that we're currently giving Therien and Seidenberg quality minutes, what would it take for us to acquire someone of Morris' ability. I think he'd be a great fit in Philadelphia and could work the 2nd power play unit. As well, with the eventual departures of several players after the season, we could easily fit Morris with either Rathje or Hatcher and we could really let him loose. It also gives us flexibility in that we could possibly dangle Johnsson for top line right winger. Thoughts?

Old
12-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Dr Love

Morris makes 2.6 million. Who are you going to give up for him that Phoenix would actually want (in other words, besides Brashear)?

I'd like Morris but there isn't really a way to aquire him, unless Primeau is out for the year and you don't want to add another center.

Old
12-03-2005, 10:29 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm thinking we'd need a third team involved to make it work. Obviously nobody would ever touch Brashear with that ludicrous contract he has (why we didn't buy out that waste of space sitting on the bench is beyond me). It might also mean having to look at a deal that might involve Handzus and/or Johnsson. Seeing as to how Johnsson is going to be UFA after the season, and I know I'm gonna get eaten alive for this, we might have to bite the bullet and move him because he will probably be out of our price range when the offseason begins. As well, Pitkanen is the natural progression of taking over the top spot, so clearing Johnsson out essentially turns the blue line corps over to Pitkanen.

Handzus might hurt a bit more because he has been versatile and he's signed to a relatively cheap contract. The thing is, Richards and Carter have been playing great at the center spot and there's no reason to think that they're gonna tank it. Handzus adds that flexibility of getting a top line winger in return and we can really make things interesting.

All things considered, Johnsson and Handzus are two big bargaining chips that could really land us some great players. It also clears up some salary cap space so that we can start on negotiations with Gagne and Pitkanen.

Old
12-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Nacho
Special

Johnsson has a groin injury, no need to trade him for that...

Old
12-03-2005, 01:45 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
All things considered, Johnsson and Handzus are two big bargaining chips that could really land us some great players. It also clears up some salary cap space so that we can start on negotiations with Gagne and Pitkanen.
But Johnsson and Handzus are really great players. They're at least as great as anything the Flyers could hope to receive in return that could make an immediate impact.

If they trade Johnsson, it's going to have to be this season. If they trade Handzus, I'd wait until the off-season and use him to get young, cheap talent in return at the draft. They need to get cheaper or else it's a tremendous waste to even trade them.

Closed Thread