HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luc

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Fat Elvis

vCash: 500
Luc

I'm going to suggest something almost sacreligious.

Do we push Luc out after he gets these last 3 goals or do we end up waiving him? He has to know that he is no longer helping this team in the scoring department, and that is all he really is. You don't stick Luc on a 4th line with grinders and expect him to be affective.

His spot on the roster can be filled. Is it time for him to hang'em up?

Old
12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
It might be time to Phil Housley him. And what I mean by that is playing him pretty much on the PP and extra man situations like a delayed penalty, the goalie is pulled,etc.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:00 PM
halco

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
I'm going to suggest something almost sacreligious.

Do we push Luc out after he gets these last 3 goals or do we end up waiving him? He has to know that he is no longer helping this team in the scoring department, and that is all he really is. You don't stick Luc on a 4th line with grinders and expect him to be affective.

His spot on the roster can be filled. Is it time for him to hang'em up?
I would hope that if the time came for Luc to hang it up during the season that he would go out like Brett Hull did and just retire. I totally agree that Luc is not helping us right now (in today's NHL Luc is just too slow) and I think AM and DT have some tough decisions in the near future to help get this team out of it's funk.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
It might be time to Phil Housley him. And what I mean by that is playing him pretty much on the PP and extra man situations like a delayed penalty, the goalie is pulled,etc.
I was thinking it would be better if he Brett Hull'd himself.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
mrc23

Luc will be fine. On the season he's getting a 1/2 point a game and he seemed to be coming on before the injury, he had 3 goals in his 5 games before sitting. Nobody on the team has really looked good these last few games. I'm sure he'll start knocking in a few here and there and will be effective on the powerplay once he gets going. Maybe I'm a little optimistic, but I see him giving us a nice 15-20 goals this season with limited ice time. Besides, if we say anything bad about Luc the hockey gods will strike us down and destroy our team for such blasphemy.

Old
12-05-2005, 01:48 PM
kingsfan25

I think the organization is too loyal to Luc for them to waive him. The only way I see DT getting rid of him is by having a closed-door discussion with Andy Murray and Lucky about his play and the three of them deciding what will be done.

I think I agree with Kingsjohn on the Housley idea...if he can't play an effective top-six role, Murray doesn't have to play him in that capacity.

Old
12-05-2005, 02:37 PM
bacchusbuddha

Send a message via AIM to bacchusbuddha
Luc, Armstrong, and Parros were an effective unit before injuries hit. If Luc's linemates can create space for him and get him the puck at the right time, he'll score. Which is exactly why Army and Parros were such a good match for him.

As far as Luc being too slow, well... If Luc's the first guy in the zone with the puck, you're in trouble. His bread and butter has always been getting open for a shot or banging in rebounds, not so much scoring off the rush.

His lack of speed on the backcheck is definitely a liability this year. Can't argue that. That's the thing with Luc. You just have to hope his scoring offsets his defensive shortcomings, and I'd say that when he's been paired with Armstrong and Parros, that's been the case.

IMO, He can still be useful if you put him in the right situation on the ice. Maybe pair him up with Army and Brown? I missed most of the last two games, so I'm not sure if that's been done yet.

Old
12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchusbuddha
As far as Luc being too slow, well... If Luc's the first guy in the zone with the puck, you're in trouble. His bread and butter has always been getting open for a shot or banging in rebounds, not so much scoring off the rush.
I don't know if you've seen it but Luc had a breakaway goal about 5 games ago (I believe it was against the hawks) at the other team's blue line...assist to JR. its got to be the skates!

as far as backchecking, i recall an OT game against the yotes a couple of years ago where he was the only guy that backchecked and prevented a goal ... and i bet you my last dollar that if he's at the blue line instead of corvo on that breakaway goal by vermette, he would have hustled his way back and not be lazy like what corvo did...

12-05-2005, 02:53 PM
bacchusbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
I don't know if you've seen it but Luc had a breakaway goal about 5 games ago (I believe it was against the hawks) at the other team's blue line...assist to JR. its got to be the skates!
I re-wound the tape to see who he beat on that play. It was Barnaby.

Great goal though. Too bad it didn't carry over into some better play being paired with JR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
as far as backchecking, i recall an OT game against the yotes a couple of years ago where he was the only guy that backchecked and prevented a goal ... and i bet you my last dollar that if he's at the blue line instead of corvo on that breakaway goal by vermette, he would have hustled his way back and not be lazy like what corvo did...
Don't get me wrong, Luc is one of my all-time favorites, but I think he really has lost a step this year and it shows on the defensive side. His effort isn't so much the problem as his legs are.

Old
12-05-2005, 03:02 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Luc, Armstrong, and Parros were an effective unit before injuries hit. If Luc's linemates can create space for him and get him the puck at the right time, he'll score. Which is exactly why Army and Parros were such a good match for him.
Maybe the matching of speed (or lack of it) works in his favor here?

Old
12-05-2005, 03:16 PM
bacchusbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Maybe the matching of speed (or lack of it) works in his favor here?
I think so. Luc is most dangerous on the rush as the second or third (or fourth ) guy in. He gets open and gets the shot off quickly and on net. Or if he doesn't get the puck, he goes to the net and sniffs for a rebound.

Maybe the last forward up the ice on a rush should change for Luc, then Luc should change when the puck goes back the other way.

Old
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I think so. Luc is most dangerous on the rush as the second or third (or fourth ) guy in. He gets open and gets the shot off quickly and on net. Or if he doesn't get the puck, he goes to the net and sniffs for a rebound.
I agree. Luc is more effective when his linemates enter the zone well ahead of him and dig the puck from the corner. Luc then comes in really late (he's naturally gifted that way), so late that the other team has forgotten that he exists, then accepts a pass at the circles and rifles a one-timer.

Old
12-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Has he announced any retirement plans?

Old
12-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz
Has he announced any retirement plans?
NO, and I think we all know that at season's end he'll be done and his jersey will be in the rafters at Staples.

Luc played very well with Army and Parros at the beginning of the year, and all he needs to do is get his legs back, same with Army.

Closed Thread