HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NBA Jersey Ads Coming in 2017-18 (UPD: 76'ers sign deal w/ StubHub)

Old
04-15-2016, 05:57 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

vCash: 400
Of course, pick the airline with a really bad taste in picking winners.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2016, 06:24 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
We have no idea how it will exactly work in the NHL. But I can almost guarantee that the league won't allow a team to give away the space to themselves. And from the business side why would you. Advertising is a partial write off anyway.
As it stands now yes it would go into HHR.
I wonder if the ad space would be sold locally by each team or if it would be sold league-wide to a major sponsor.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I wonder if the ad space would be sold locally by each team or if it would be sold league-wide to a major sponsor.
Good question. Hard to say. They might find a single taker for the chest patch depending on what their asking for it, maybe break it down to a sole US & sole Canadian sponsor but really thats just the tip of the Iceberg... Teams will want to be able to sell Shoulder & Back Patches... leading to Elbow, Helmet & Sock I.D.... Goalies.... once they cross the bridge with Upper Right Chest Patching?... Rolling stone... Flood gates open.... all of it going to Central Revenues. No NHLPA share. You'll be able to buy "blanks" or "Classics" but if you want the real deal, and most kids along with a considerable number of adults will, applique sponsor logo's at P.O.S. pushing the price up even further.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2016, 10:01 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Considering who the commissioner in the NBA is it doesn't really surprise me they are leading the way with this. In Europe, contrary to what some people think, no-one especially cares for it. There was an outcry when it was introduced but people simply got used to it as they had no other choice if they still wanted to follow their team. In Europe it also tends to be the kind of thing where the worst offenders when it comes to these are those who need money the most. The more ads you see on a kit the poorer that team probably is.

Few North American teams *need* the money, they just *want* the money and if they figure people will accept it they won't turn down any cash grab.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2016, 10:13 PM
BigMac1212
My brain is fragile

But seriously, the Arena Football League and WNBA has sponsors on their jerseys. I know, those weren't professional, but the signs were there. It was only a matter of time. I wonder if the Yankees and Canadiens will ever follow suit...

BigMac1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2016, 12:33 AM
Bucky_Hoyt

The Canucks were basically pioneers at this by subversively incorporating a corporate entity into their main logo. Hence the ugly whale (i.e. repping the now defunct Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment).

Always hated that ugly whale. Maybe this will be a means to finally kill that culturally offensive eyesore off.

Bucky_Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Do they have an answer to what if a player has a sponsorship deal with a competitor to the team or league's jersey ad? Doesn't the PA have a say in this?

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2016, 10:09 AM
kaiser matias

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky_Hoyt View Post
The Canucks were basically pioneers at this by subversively incorporating a corporate entity into their main logo. Hence the ugly whale (i.e. repping the now defunct Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment).

Always hated that ugly whale. Maybe this will be a means to finally kill that culturally offensive eyesore off.
Not really as Orca Bay literally only existed as a holding company for the Canucks, Grizzlies, and GM Place. It is no different than any other company that runs teams today, like the re-branded Canucks Sports and Entertainment, San Jose Sports and Entertainment, MLSE, etc. This idea that they adopted a logo for a company that only served to run the team is nonsensical, as it had no other ventures to promote aside from the hockey team (and the Grizzlies, but no one cares about them).

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2016, 10:11 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
Do they have an answer to what if a player has a sponsorship deal with a competitor to the team or league's jersey ad? Doesn't the PA have a say in this?
They'll get half the revenue.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
They'll get half the revenue.
What good does that do me if I have a 10 million dollar contract and I lose it to get 1/ out of how many of half of 60-100 million

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
The downside of advertising is when an advertiser's colour scheme differs so much from the NHL team. Take Toronto for an example. Their arena is Air Canada whose colours are Red. Would look odd to see that logo on the Blue and White of the leafs wouldn't it?

Same with the Canucks and Oilers if Rogers puts their red on their uniforms that have no red.

Could you see the Staples logo on the Kings black and silver uniforms?

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2016, 09:37 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Just saw an interview with Silver during the Mavs/Thunder game - it will be locally.
It will be up to each teams if they sell the ad or not and to whom.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Bench Turdbisky

So hypothetically, Mike illitxh could just stick his cartoon cesaer on the red wings sweater and call it a day. Good to know.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2016, 08:55 PM
varsaku

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Just saw an interview with Silver during the Mavs/Thunder game - it will be locally.
It will be up to each teams if they sell the ad or not and to whom.
The bigger NHL teams don't really need this revenue stream considering the backlash they could face but are the only ones that can really draw in big numbers. I can't imagine Bettman giving them that option.

varsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 07:04 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 300
OT: 76ers sign 1st jersey ad deal in North American major sports. 3 yr w/ Stubhub

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 07:06 AM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

vCash: 50
people will freak out, but really it's pointless. might just be the soccer fan in me, but i am quite used to these

Carolinas Identity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 08:08 AM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
people will freak out, but really it's pointless. might just be the soccer fan in me, but i am quite used to these
If you wake up to a slap in the face every single day you'll get used to that, too. It doesn't mean that it's okay and hardly "pointless". Soccer jerseys with an ad plastered on the front look absolutely terrible. And yes, that's where all this will lead for the NBA, too. Perhaps not tomorrow, but 10 years from now for sure. They were nice enough to give us a clue with the WNBA uniforms.

So no, I will never get used to seeing the Philadelphia Stubhubs play.

King_Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Irishguy42

People want examples of ads on hockey jerseys, then look at the AHL. Those aren't bad. If the design is good, then ads are fine.

Irishguy42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Stannis View Post
If you wake up to a slap in the face every single day you'll get used to that, too. It doesn't mean that it's okay and hardly "pointless". Soccer jerseys with an ad plastered on the front look absolutely terrible. And yes, that's where all this will lead for the NBA, too. Perhaps not tomorrow, but 10 years from now for sure. They were nice enough to give us a clue with the WNBA uniforms.

So no, I will never get used to seeing the Philadelphia Stubhubs play.
MOD

Anyway, I'm not worrying myself about what the NBA is doing. NBA jerseys are neither as sacrosanct to fans as NHL jerseys are, nor are they as part of daily dashion to NBA fans as NHL jerseys are to hockey fans. Add in the fact that the NBA doesn't have 600 feet of board space around the playing surface to put ads on, and you can see why they're resorting to jersey ads - it's the only place to put them.

And I'm positive that the jerseys they sell won't have the add on them. I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Fugu: 05-16-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: wha'ts the point?
Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
You Must Be Tired

vCash: 2626
If ads made the game cheaper for the average fan I'd be far more accepting...instead they're just another way to line the pockets of millionaires and billionaires, so it's completely unacceptable for me.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
If ads made the game cheaper for the average fan I'd be far more accepting...instead they're just another way to line the pockets of millionaires and billionaires, so it's completely unacceptable for me.
How do you know that the ads aren't making the game cheaper? If they can throw an ad on the jerseys instead of hiking the ticket prices 5%, then the ads are doing exactly what you want them to do.

It's no different than how a bottle of Coke now has 500ml instead of 591ml, but still costs $1.50. People are more sensitive to price than they are to content. Reduce the content and you're fine; increase the price and there's a blowback.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 08:43 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Soccer jerseys used to be with big team logo in the center (kinda like hockey now)...then slowly ads appeared...then slowly ad space grew and logo space shrinked.

Now...you have a huge ad in the middle and team logo in top left or top right.

So...in 10-20 years the PHILA will be ''STUBHUB'' and vice-versa.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 09:15 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
How do you know that the ads aren't making the game cheaper? If they can throw an ad on the jerseys instead of hiking the ticket prices 5%, then the ads are doing exactly what you want them to do.

It's no different than how a bottle of Coke now has 500ml instead of 591ml, but still costs $1.50. People are more sensitive to price than they are to content. Reduce the content and you're fine; increase the price and there's a blowback.
2 completely different animals. If they can charge $5MM for a jersey ad and sell tickets with an average of $80 without much effort, they will. If they can get someone to offer $6MM for the ad and still sell the tickets for a $90 average, they will. If you think their logic is, "We just added $5MM in a jersey ad, so we can lower prices on tickets so ticket revenue goes down $5MM", then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 09:16 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I really wonder how the discourse on this site would differ if the expression "slap in the face" were banned.

Anyway, I'm not worrying myself about what the NBA is doing. NBA jerseys are neither as sacrosanct to fans as NHL jerseys are, nor are they as part of daily dashion to NBA fans as NHL jerseys are to hockey fans. Add in the fact that the NBA doesn't have 600 feet of board space around the playing surface to put ads on, and you can see why they're resorting to jersey ads - it's the only place to put them.

And I'm positive that the jerseys they sell won't have the add on them. I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong.
http://news.sportslogos. net/2016/05/16/sixers-first-to-announce-jersey-advertising-deal/

Quote:
Home jerseys sold at Wells Fargo Center will include the Stubhub patch, it will not be available anywhere else.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 05-16-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: forgot quotes
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

I mean, if they want people to buy conterfeit jerseys without ads instead of the official ones it's a great move!

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote