HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NBA Jersey Ads Coming in 2017-18 (UPD: 76'ers sign deal w/ StubHub)

Old
05-16-2016, 09:43 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
All things considered, those don't look too bad, and at least they went along and matched the team's colors to boot. I doubt that'll be the case when some blue and white team partners up with a company with an orange or brown logo, though....

That being said, I still have a hard time imagining that jerseys with ads on them will sell nearly as well as uniforms without them. Especially if in-arena jerseys have them but you can still buy them without them, I'd expect (or hope) that their in-arena jersey sales would drop big time.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 09:44 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
http://news.sportslogos. net/2016/05/16/sixers-first-to-announce-jersey-advertising-deal/

Home jerseys sold at Wells Fargo Center will include the Stubhub patch, it will not be available anywhere else.
That is how it will start. Eventually, they will make both authentics and replicas with and without the ads. You will always have that section of the fanbase that wants it exactly as the players wear and that will include the ads.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:08 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Worth noting, Stubhub changed their logo like 2-3 weeks ago. Definitely helps that they went to something thinner that can be done with a single thread stitch and that they can vary colors with.

This would've looked horrible, especially in red.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
2 completely different animals. If they can charge $5MM for a jersey ad and sell tickets with an average of $80 without much effort, they will. If they can get someone to offer $6MM for the ad and still sell the tickets for a $90 average, they will. If you think their logic is, "We just added $5MM in a jersey ad, so we can lower prices on tickets so ticket revenue goes down $5MM", then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.
If you think that's what I said, then I have a pair of glasses to sell you .... in Brooklyn

They didn't drop prices, they found a way to not increase them (or at least limit the increase). Imagine the optics of the 76ers - whose record last year was the second worst in NBA history - upping their ticket prices. There'd be a revolt. So instead of raising ticket prices and getting crucified for making people pay more to see the worst basketball since 1973, you find another way to deal with the increased cost of doing business.

Quote:
Home jerseys sold at Wells Fargo Center will include the Stubhub patch, it will not be available anywhere else.
It's only the home jersey, and it's only the ones sold at the stadium. That means I get to pick a smaller hat to eat

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:13 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
How do you know that the ads aren't making the game cheaper? If they can throw an ad on the jerseys instead of hiking the ticket prices 5%, then the ads are doing exactly what you want them to do.

It's no different than how a bottle of Coke now has 500ml instead of 591ml, but still costs $1.50. People are more sensitive to price than they are to content. Reduce the content and you're fine; increase the price and there's a blowback.
Because that's not how businesses are run. They charge the amount in which they can maximize revenue. Because they are bringing in revenue from an ad on the jersey, doesn't somehow make financial sense to charge less. It's completely unrelated.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:15 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
If you think that's what I said, then I have a pair of glasses to sell you .... in Brooklyn

They didn't drop prices, they found a way to not increase them (or at least limit the increase). Imagine the optics of the 76ers - whose record last year was the second worst in NBA history - upping their ticket prices. There'd be a revolt. So instead of raising ticket prices and getting crucified for making people pay more to see the worst basketball since 1973, you find another way to deal with the increased cost of doing business.

It's only the home jersey, and it's only the ones sold at the stadium. That means I get to pick a smaller hat to eat
They didn't "NOT INCREASE THEM" because they can't do so, or "LIMIT THIS INCREASE" because that is all they can get away with. Has nothing to do with the jersey ads. If they tried to increase ticket prices they would simply sell even less tickets than they did this past year. The ads are a simple way to increase revenues. If they thought they could raise prices and still sell tickets, they would do so and STILL sell the jersey ad.

Old
05-16-2016, 10:17 AM
dilbert719

Quote:

Hypothetical at best. The Sixers have yet to announce ticket prices for the 2016-17 season, to the best of my knowledge, so we have no way of knowing if they're upping their ticket prices or not.

What we do know is that, next year, the StubHubs are rolling out a new platform that will allow them to dynamically change ticket prices on a game-by-game basis, so there's almost certain to be wild price fluctuations anyway, making it easier for them to obscure the average ticket price. They're also using this to roll primary sales and resales together, so they can even obscure seat-by-seat pricing throughout the arena.

Basically, they'll be able to tell us whatever they damn please about ticket prices, and we won't be able to call them out on the lie.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ket_sales.html

On a side note, I hate the concept of advertising on jerseys to begin with, and I'm upset that my team chose to be the first out of the gate with this greedy little cash grab. I won't be acquiring any jerseys with advertisements, not that I have enough disposable income for jerseys anyway, so Mitchell and Ness will eventually find themselves to be the net beneficiary of this deal from my perspective.

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
They didn't "NOT INCREASE THEM" because they can't do so, or "LIMIT THIS INCREASE" because that is all they can get away with. Has nothing to do with the jersey ads. If they tried to increase ticket prices they would simply sell even less tickets than they did this past year. The ads are a simple way to increase revenues. If they thought they could raise prices and still sell tickets, they would do so and STILL sell the jersey ad.
If that were the case, then every team would be doing it. Where are the ads on the other 29 uniforms?

Old
05-16-2016, 10:20 AM
ExpatHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Soccer jerseys used to be with big team logo in the center (kinda like hockey now)...then slowly ads appeared...then slowly ad space grew and logo space shrinked.
What soccer leagues/teams are you referring to? I can't speak for all leagues and teams, but I never recall soccer jerseys having large logos in the center. In fact, all of the big teams in the major leagues were using small logos in the corner well before any ads were added (at least 40 years in many cases).

For EPL: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Engl...gue/index.html
For other European leagues: http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/...an-leagues-c8/

ExpatHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:21 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
If that were the case, then every team would be doing it. Where are the ads on the other 29 uniforms?
Be patient. This isn't in effect until 17-18. Sixers are just getting locked in waaaay early.

All 30 will have them, they have a year to negotiate deals.

Old
05-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
Hypothetical at best. The Sixers have yet to announce ticket prices for the 2016-17 season, to the best of my knowledge, so we have no way of knowing if they're upping their ticket prices or not.

What we do know is that, next year, the StubHubs are rolling out a new platform that will allow them to dynamically change ticket prices on a game-by-game basis, so there's almost certain to be wild price fluctuations anyway, making it easier for them to obscure the average ticket price. They're also using this to roll primary sales and resales together, so they can even obscure seat-by-seat pricing throughout the arena.

Basically, they'll be able to tell us whatever they damn please about ticket prices, and we won't be able to call them out on the lie.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ket_sales.html

On a side note, I hate the concept of advertising on jerseys to begin with, and I'm upset that my team chose to be the first out of the gate with this greedy little cash grab. I won't be acquiring any jerseys with advertisements, not that I have enough disposable income for jerseys anyway, so Mitchell and Ness will eventually find themselves to be the net beneficiary of this deal from my perspective.
It may be because a 10-72 team might have trouble raising ticket prices without hurting the number of tickets sold.
As opposed to the Celtics or Trailblazers who are expected to be better next year, who can raise ticket prices for additional revenue and maybe are less desperate for additional sources of income.
Not that rising teams won't eventually put a sponsor in their jersey they might be holding out for a higher price of sponsorship.

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:27 AM
BigMac1212
My brain is fragile

I'm not really a Simpsons fan, but that never gets old.

BigMac1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:27 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1233 View Post
It may be because a 10-72 team might have trouble raising ticket prices without hurting the number of tickets sold.
As opposed to the Celtics or Trailblazers who are expected to be better next year, who can raise ticket prices for additional revenue and maybe are less desperate for additional sources of income.
Not that rising teams won't eventually put a sponsor in their jersey they might be holding out for a higher price of sponsorship.
Nobody is holding out. There will not be ads on jerseys for another 17 months.

Old
05-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Nobody is holding out. There will not be ads on jerseys for another 17 months.
They aren't doing a deal right now by whoever asks them because they have more leverage, I am sure they are being pursued.

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
It's just as hypothetical to say that they'd do the jersey ad anyway, even if they couldn't raise ticket prices. We don't get to see how this plays out if the Sixers didn't stink.

Old
05-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

I don't like it. Plaster a corporate name on any space you can find. Yay.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 10:42 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
There was a team when baseball players did not have numbers on their uniforms. The Yankees changed that and everyone else followed. There was a time when NHL uniforms did not have the player's name. That changed with the Leafs being the last hold-out. Give it time.

Old
05-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
There was a team when baseball players did not have numbers on their uniforms. The Yankees changed that and everyone else followed. There was a time when NHL uniforms did not have the player's name. That changed with the Leafs being the last hold-out. Give it time.
Sounds like you (and everyone else saying some variant of "you just wait...") just want license to be mad about something that isn't happening/hasn't happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I don't like it. Plaster a corporate name on any space you can find. Yay.
"Plastering" is a grandiose word for a two-by-four inch strip of thread, no? You could hide the ad by plastering a salsa stain on it

Old
05-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Stand Witness
Time to Rebuild

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Sounds like you (and everyone else saying some variant of "you just wait...") just want license to be mad about something that isn't happening/hasn't happened.

"Plastering" is a grandiose word for a two-by-four inch strip of thread, no? You could hide the ad by plastering a salsa stain on it
It would be dumb to suggest that there isn't going to be a rush of teams in the next while who come out with ads for their jerseys as well.

I'd imagine 3 years time all teams will have them in the NBA.

My personal opinion? I'd rather none but it didn't really bother me at all right there.

05-16-2016, 11:14 AM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatHabsFan View Post
What soccer leagues/teams are you referring to? I can't speak for all leagues and teams, but I never recall soccer jerseys having large logos in the center. In fact, all of the big teams in the major leagues were using small logos in the corner well before any ads were added (at least 40 years in many cases).

For EPL: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Engl...gue/index.html
For other European leagues: http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/...an-leagues-c8/
See: Wolfsburg, Chelsea, Man City, Man U, etc etc etc

Actually, pretty much every major team in Europe. So I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

Here are the jerseys as of 2014-2015 season in the Premier League:

Attachment 90069

Last edited by CoryForVezina: 03-07-2017 at 09:12 AM.
CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post

Actually, pretty much every major team in Europe. So I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

Attachment 90069

You know how cheesy these things look? It's like the local groups that want to have a basketball, softball, etc., league and they go around and try to get local businesses to sponsor them. The business pays for the t-shirts and get their name on them.

The team IS the brand. Why hide it or cover it up?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 11:26 AM
cutchemist42

So any details on how this worked? I know the big stumbling block was the tv networks being angry, but are they are getting a cut of this as well as approving ads?

My main gripe here is its just in bad taste. This doesnt even sound like a lot of money to me to make it worth it, when compared to how much money these leagues advertise they bring in. In Europe, teams ACTUALLY need those ads to stay afloat every year.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 11:27 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

I've said it dozens of times before, it makes no sense to compare ads on soccer kits versus ads on other sports jerseys.

Even before the era of on-jersey ads, soccer kits have always been fairly spartan aside from a small patch or logo or whatever appearing on the shirts, usually up and off center. When soccer leagues realized that they could make some bank on ads on their gear, all the prime real estate for ads were already wide open.

In North American sports though, and especially in hockey, team logos or wordmarks have always taken priority and have always occupied the most prime real estate front and center. Adding an advertisement patch on that is off-putting for that very reason, as it's an inherent distraction occupying a space that is supposed to be essentially negative area to keep your eyes focused on the logo.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 11:30 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post

Attachment 90069
I think he meant (not that I speak for him) that those teams NEVER had THEIR logo on their chest ala a hockey jersey. It was always small in the upper left/right without the corporate logo.

Old
05-16-2016, 11:32 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
You know how cheesy these things look? It's like the local groups that want to have a basketball, softball, etc., league and they go around and try to get local businesses to sponsor them. The business pays for the t-shirts and get their name on them.

The team IS the brand. Why hide it or cover it up?
I agree, first time I saw a picture of a Man U player with the chevy logo my thought was, "Does Chevrolet own the team?"